• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Let's worry about the naruto filler if/when we get to it.

Hopefully they maybe go through 5-10 episodes. Maybe laughing shino, the episode with the ostrich (since it shows up here and there in filler segments of non-filler eps later on in shippuden IIRC), and the bikochu beetle arc.

They'd be really stupid to go through all 90 episodes or whatever.

It does makes sense, the beta-testers are hated because they are generally perceived to be selfish. Instead of helping the newbies out when the true intentions of Akihiko are revealed, they monopolized the side quests and took over the best monster farming spots. Most people blame the first ~2,000 deaths that occurred at the start on them for not sharing the secrets they learned during the early access period.

It's also established in that same episode that beta testers created information guides to help out new players with info they gathered and that things changed from the beta to the final version such as the boss weapon and that a lot of the beta testers were scrubs who couldn't beat the first level. It just feels like the author never really knew how to handle the beta players
probably why the whole plot point is dropped after this point

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It does makes sense, the beta-testers are hated because they are generally perceived to be selfish. Instead of helping the newbies out when the true intentions of Akihiko are revealed, they monopolized the side quests and took over the best monster farming spots. Most people blame the first ~2,000 deaths that occurred at the start on them for not sharing the secrets they learned during the early access period.

No, what doesn't make sense is the fact that they go from "FUCK BETA TESTERS!" to "Yeah, I guess you have a point, they were the ones handing out all the manuals and stuff..." to "I BET YOU CHEATED AND YOU WANTED HIM TO DIE EVEN THOUGH YOU WERE YELLING FOR HIM TO STOP AND WERE THE ONLY PERSON TO TRY TO GIVE HIM A POTION! FUCK YOU!"

Literally, they go from cheering him as a hero to calling him scum over the course of 30 seconds.

And then Kirito basically goes on a tangential rant about everyone being trash and completely ignores the fact that he's practically being called a murderer to his face. Makes no attempt to clear his name or justify his actions or even own up to his solo play.... or to point out that the boss was slightly different than expected, to his surprise.

Good post. Naruto is definitely the oddball here. Bleach is brand new, One Piece is airing never before seen on TV episodes even if they came out on disc a while ago, Soul Eater is new to the channel space and SAO is brand new of course as well. But Naruto is airing old episodes that have already aired and is also placed smack in the first hour. However, it seems to be doing well so far, so I can't fault them for placing it there. As for the fact that they seemingly will air the filler again because they are considered "premiere episodes"? the logic escapes me.

As for putting series on the map, I think Soul Eater has done the best job of that, maybe the Evangelion rebuild movies too. There was a point when Amazon sales for both those were high and they were at the top of the Anime best-sellers, but that may have been unrelated or insignificant.

I think it did do some good for Soul Eater. Anecdotally, I know a few people who had seen Eva and liked it (but not as much as me) and didn't know the Rebuild movies were out until Toonami aired them (Me, having them on DVD was all GO WATCH, of course)

we don't know what's going to happen with Naruto filler yet. as far as it being a rehash, it's been instrumental in bringing the block a lot of its current ratings, and that is BECAUSE it's an established property. i do not believe Fairy Tail would do that well, and Soul Eater's performance when it followed Naruto only cements this. Toonami getting a big show at all at that point is also questionable since they've stated Naruto was acquired from funds outside of their budget. it's not as simple as "they got Naruto when they could've got Fairy Tail."

I believe on tumblr they vaguely confirmed it because they are "new episodes" or whatever. That shit makes NO SENSE as a viewer, but I guess I'd want my money's worth too. If they did go outside the Toonami budget to get Naruto, it would make sense that they air the whole thing. I'm not totally willing to attribute all of the ratings spike to it though. One Piece is a great show for a block like Toonami. It has the reward of continuity for long time viewers, but it is a rare point that you can't just jump in at a random point and not enjoy the action and humor. IF Naruto is is sole reason for the spike, after I finish groaning at the tastes of North American anime fans(again), I will hope that they build up a line up that can sustain it. The infamous filler will be a drop off point, especially if it seems like there is still no plan to air Shippuden when that time comes.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
We shall see if acohol will make Sword Art Online more tolerable to watch.

Pretty sure copious amounts of alcohol and blows to the head would be required to accept everything SAO throws at you.

Seriously, how is it popular? I saw comments going "MY FAVORITE ANIME EVAR" and "SO GREAT". Are the standards of anime fans really that low?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Pretty sure copious amounts of alcohol and blows to the head would be required to accept everything SAO throws at you.

Seriously, how is it popular? I saw comments going "MY FAVORITE ANIME EVAR" and "SO GREAT". Are the standards of anime fans really that low?

I really like the art (COLORS)

But they do have something to blame. The crazy ass dude who put them in this place in the first place.

yeah, but he's not really...there. people would rather pin their troubles on something they can see

Marmaladefire said:
I believe on tumblr they vaguely confirmed it because they are "new episodes" or whatever. That shit makes NO SENSE as a viewer, but I guess I'd want my money's worth too. If they did go outside the Toonami budget to get Naruto, it would make sense that they air the whole thing. I'm not totally willing to attribute all of the ratings spike to it though. One Piece is a great show for a block like Toonami. It has the reward of continuity for long time viewers, but it is a rare point that you can't just jump in at a random point and not enjoy the action and humor. IF Naruto is is sole reason for the spike, after I finish groaning at the tastes of North American anime fans(again), I will hope that they build up a line up that can sustain it. The infamous filler will be a drop off point, especially if it seems like there is still no plan to air Shippuden when that time comes.

well, if you look at everything else that came in around Naruto's time there's really nothing else to attribute it to.

they did later backtrack on the filler back to "that's a ways off, don't worry about it yet", so that leads me to think when they said "WE WILL NEVER SKIP FILLER" they meant just the episodes here and there within the storyline, not the big chunk of nothingness.

Anime gaf seems to love their harem romcom moe garbage anime, please keep that in mind when watching this series.

last episode they just said the beta testers were handing out guides.

however, i would imagine in a situation like that people do not behave rationally. the beta tester prejudice is meant to be nonsensical; they are a scapegoat the other users can pin their troubles on because they need to blame SOMETHING.

Episode 2 takes place a month after the players have been trapped in the game. Just because beta-testers gave out guides eventually doesn't disregard their behavior at the start of the game. It's been stated that many ran off to farm the best monsters and horde the most valuable items.

There are boobs at some point right? I feel like that has to be it. I remember these otaku trollops trolling tumblr about this show being good when it came out. This is it?

SCHOOL DAYS IS MY FAVORITE ANIME, WORLD.

Moaradin

I like the premise and the music. I can enjoy it even though I know it's not very good.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Short answer? Yes.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Are the standards of anime fans really that low?
All you have to do is look at what gets released on a season to season basis to see that, yes, the standards of anime fans are really really really really low.

Episode 2 takes place a month after the players have been trapped in the game. Just because beta-tester's gave out guides eventually doesn't disregard their behavior at the start of the game. It's been stated that many ran off to farm the best monsters and horde the most valuable items.
The best monsters and most valuable items...ON LEVEL ONE. That concept still utterly boggles my mind. That's like the Chinese farmers who used to camp out Leaping Lizzy back in the day in FF XI. And even THAT was level 10!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Anime gaf seems to love their harem romcom moe garbage anime, please keep that in mind when watching this series.

Hmmm *walks into anime thread* ... *runs out screaming*

There are boobs at some point right? I feel like that has to be it. I remember these otaku trollops trolling tumblr about this show being good when it came out. This is it?

SCHOOL DAYS IS MY FAVORITE ANIME, WORLD.

Supposedly, the original light novels have explicit sex scenes. However, they were cut out of the anime so.... I have no idea.

All you have to do is look at what gets released on a season to season basis to see that, yes, the standards of anime fans are really really really really low.

That so? *looks up Summer season* Yeah a lot of this looks like crap. Ugh.

Supposedly, the original light novels have explicit sex scenes. However, they were cut out of the anime so.... I have no idea.

If it is, I nominate Free! Iwatobi Swim club to be the next Incredibly Divisive Series on Toonami. It can premiere on April Fool's Day, but the joke will be on you if you think they won't air it every week.

This summer season is the least awful one in years, as bad as it seems. Watamote is a comedy gem, and The Chronicles of The Going Home Club is the only cute girls doing you can finish this sentence for me show that's been tolerable since they unleashed K-On into the world.

Episode 2 takes place a month after the players have been trapped in the game. Just because beta-testers gave out guides eventually doesn't disregard their behavior at the start of the game. It's been stated that many ran off to farm the best monsters and horde the most valuable items.

i dunno, i took this as that guy's paranoia. Kirito went out and said most of the beta testers were stumbling morons, too.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The two summer anime worth checking out are Gatchaman Crowds and Silver Spoon. Maybe Blood Lad but I haven't watched it

Blood Lad has one of the biggest wankers I have ever seen lead a show. Love Lab to my never ending shock and horror is actually funny and worth watching, still trying to figure that one out. Also Servant X Service is decently funny and takes place an office.

Blood Lad has one of the biggest wankers I have ever seen lead a show. Love Lab to my never ending shock and horror is actually funny and worth watching, still trying to figure that one out.

I hadn't checked it out simply because the people saying that were anime gaffers who's opinions are very different from mine. If you of all people enjoy it Shard that means it has to be doing something right.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Indeed, that show just has some sort of freakish chemistry, I thought it was going to end up like, well, Stella High School, which I am only still watching because Gainax is being Gainax.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
blood lad is pretty enjoyable so far, so i do def recommend watching it, it does have alot of plot tho, and hey, i love plot

:kayos

I'm scared of watching that show lol

It hits too close to home, but I can't help but watch. It is quality. Episode 4 was indeed hard to watch. Sayonara Zetsubou sensei levels of despair.

You could just watch Free after and revel in what my high school experience was not.

not like I do that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom