• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously though, this next episode is going to tell me if I'm going to kill myself watching this show or not. Help me get through it guys...

I'll start working on your eulogy then

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here to say goodbye to our dear friend B-Dubs who has just finished watching Sword Art Online

Seda

I'll start working on your eulogy then

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here to say goodbye to our dear friend B-Dubs who has just finished watching Sword Art Online

TadkV.gif

(RIP B-Dubs)

Oh dear. Start it at 1:30am then

since they pay on a per-episode basis i would imagine airing the movie over all of these shows was the only way they could afford it.

besides, everything up through SAO is locked in for a while anyway. the shows that will be replaced anytime soon start with IGPX, so if you ask me it'd be better to get those out of here as quickly as possible.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, that is one thing Adult Swim Action had over Toonami, they were allowed to get shows outside of that range.

Gankutsuou was actually pitched to Adult Swim Action years and years ago and they turned it down.

Also, Code Geass bombed the fuck out so badly on Adult Swim that its premieres were pushed back to 5 am briefly before AS was forced to move it back up (because Bandai was pissed). There is zero chance of it coming back.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Code Geass and Death Note bombing was basically the low point of Adult Swim Action. Both of them should have done a lot better knowing the audience but people seemed to be out on the block at the time.

They'd do a 3/4ths of a million or more if they were on the block right now. Worse shows have done around that under the Toonami banner.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Code Geass and Death Note bombing was basically the low point of Adult Swim Action. Both of them should have done a lot better knowing the audience but people seemed to be out on the block at the time.

They'd do a 3/4ths of a million or more if they were on the block right now. Worse shows have done around that under the Toonami banner.

Death Note didn't really bomb, it was usually near the top of the anime ratings. It's just that the block as a whole was around its nadir, so its ratings overall were not as good as expected. Relative to the other shows it did alright, though.

The Code Geass era was the low, though. The premieres at the time were Geass and Seirei no Moribito (which was a MASSIVE ratings flop, despite being a really really excellent series), and they both ended up in the graveyard hour at one point.

Truth for DN, not so sure about Geass. In the western market t wasn't really popular with the AS demo, so much as 14 year old girls.

I'm really generally unhappy with a lot of the acquisitions now though. I think the crew is falling into that "anime sucks now so shounen jump only!/shows that seem just like shows we used to air" trap (Though Deadman was good)
Funimation has some gems in their catalogue that didn't get nearly enough love on release and would probably be really cheap now, and maybe they should be looking through it for more long term variety.

Raxus

Metaaaaaaaaaa

where's our preview

Tonight On Toonami Ichigo has no powers anymore and the series ends, Naruto and company get knocked out by the deadly ninja scroll and the series ends, Luffy loses to Foxy and the series ends, Maka goes Super Saiyan and the series ends, SAO makes you wish the series was over, IGPX puts you into a deep coma and your life ends, Eureka actually really does end *spoilers* it has pretty colors.

P.S. Dragon's Crown is awesome.

Tonight On Toonami Ichigo has no powers anymore and the series ends, Naruto and company get knocked out by the deadly ninja scroll and the series ends, Luffy loses to Foxy and the series ends, Maka goes Super Saiyan and the series ends, SAO makes you wish the series was over, IGPX puts you into a deep coma and your life ends, Eureka actually really does end *spoilers* it has pretty colors.

R.I.P Bleach
R.I.P Naruto
R.I.P One Piece
R.I.P Soul Eater
R.I.P ToonamiGaf
Meh SAO
Goodbye E7

Raxus

Episode 3 one of the worst in the shows? LOL

We haven't even gotten close to the things that make this show so controversial.

I wouldn't call it near some of the worst. It is just mind numbingly bland and paint by the numbers from what little I saw of the episode.

next week:

Toonami has no new shows and anime on Adult Swim ends.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Metaaaaaaaaaa

where's our preview

Jeez, fine.

This week on Toonami, Soul Society tries to return to normal in the wake of the battle with Aizen, the rookies all assemble having passed the second test of the Chuunin Exam, the Davy Back Fight comes to an end as the captains' Combat draws to a close, with Asura on the loose the Death Scythes of the world gather, Kirito joins a guild, White Snow plays mind games with Team Satomi, faced with the imminent end of the world Renton is left with nothing to do but save the woman he loves in the cacophony of sound and vision that is Eureka seveN's grand finale, an angel falls from the sky which leads Roger into a new investigation, Winry makes a risky decision, Jet teams up with an old partner, and Jaken's going to be the hero!

12:00 - Bleach - 310 - Ichigo's Resolution! The Price of the Fierce Battle
12:30 - Naruto - 37 - Surviving the Cut! The Rookie Nine Together Again!
1:00 - One Piece - 219 - Epic, Heated Combat! The Fateful Final Conclusion!
1:30 - Soul Eater - 25 - The Death Scythes Convene – Stop Dad's Staff Reassignment!?
2:00 - Sword Art Online - 3 - The Red Nosed Reindeer
2:30 - IGPX - 16 - Vulnerable Mind
3:00 - Eureka seveN - 50 - Wish Upon a Star - END
3:30 - Big O - 16 - Day of the Advent
4:00 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 39 - Daydream
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 16 - Black Dog Serenade
5:00 - Inuyasha - 79 - Jaken's Plan to Steal Tetsusaiga
5:30 - Inuyasha - 80 - Sesshomaru and the Abducted Rin

I'm really generally unhappy with a lot of the acquisitions now though. I think the crew is falling into that "anime sucks now so shounen jump only!/shows that seem just like shows we used to air" trap (Though Deadman was good)
Funimation has some gems in their catalogue that didn't get nearly enough love on release and would probably be really cheap now, and maybe they should be looking through it for more long term variety.

I disagree. This isn't a block to showcase overlooked anime, it's a block of programming aimed at attracting the most viewers. It needs familar names to build and maintain an audience, not that "anime sucks".

I wouldn't call it near some of the worst. It is just mind numbingly bland and paint by the numbers from what little I saw of the episode.
b0ae1ab4-7659-4a09-be2b-f8123ee70d99.jpg

Watches very little of the episode, calls it bland.

jk

There's some character development tonight although I can already foresee the complaints.

i really do not understand the decision to try to ape Tartakovsky's designs and then transfer them to CGI.
I was on the "it won't looks so bad" train before Clone Wars aired. Then it aired.

At least we are skipping the Jar Jar Binks filler.

Yes, they somehow made filler worse by having Jar Jar Binks star in it.
Apparently Cartoon Network asked them to. Even they are embarrassed.

I disagree. This isn't a block to showcase overlooked anime, it's a block of programming aimed at attracting the most viewers. It needs familar names to build and maintain an audience, not that "anime sucks".

That's not what I mean. What I am saying is that there are good, marketable shows that they could pick up, that would have the added advantage for being more "fresh" to viewers, and by going with the long running shounen series you are hurting long term viability. But I understand why the long running shounens are there. What I don't get is the constant rehasing. We all knew GXP was shitty, they surely did. They ran it anyway and it was recieved as well as it deserved.
They are airing one episode of Naruto a night because it costs too much to air two. That means that there will be 89 weeks of filler that is largely considered to be mediocre. UNCUT FILLER! I use this as an example because, did Naruto really need to come back? Every canon episode was aired, and they still do not have plans or the ability to obtain the rights to Shippuden. They don't make any money off of Naruto merch, and almost anything palatable in that slot would be doing similar numbers to what Naruto is now. So say Fairy Tail was put in that spot instead, or maybe Shakugan no Shana. Is it really more of a risk than Sword Art Online?

Beyond that, I would be more inclined to agree with you, except they pride themselves not not being sheep to their audiences tastes and admit to picking what they like the most generally, even if there is a difference in that opinion among viewers. (Though I think that might be changing in favor of fostering relationships with distributors) Toonami used to put a series on the map in the US, not feed off of the corpses of its dwindling popularity.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Do the characters continue to act so nonsensically in SAO?

The Beta-prejudice made no fucking sense at all, and Kirito's decision to antagonize everyone was the most illogical reaction ever.

That's not what I mean. What I am saying is that there are good, marketable shows that they could pick up, that would have the added advantage for being more "fresh" to viewers, and by going with the long running shounen series you are hurting long term viability. But I understand why the long running shounens are there. What I don't get is the constant rehasing. We all knew GXP was shitty, they surely did. They ran it anyway and it was recieved as well as it deserved.
They are airing one episode of Naruto a night because it costs too much to air two. That means that there will be 89 weeks of filler that is largely considered to be mediocre. UNCUT FILLER! I use this as an example because, did Naruto really need to come back? Every canon episode was aired, and they still do not have plans or the ability to obtain the rights to Shippuden. They don't make any money off of Naruto merch, and almost anything palatable in that slot would be doing similar numbers to what Naruto is now. So say Fairy Tail was put in that spot instead, or maybe Shakugan no Shana. Is it really more of a risk than Sword Art Online?

Beyond that, I would be more inclined to agree with you, except they pride themselves not not being sheep to their audiences tastes and admit to picking what they like the most generally, even if there is a difference in that opinion among viewers. (Though I think that might be changing in favor of fostering relationships with distributors) Toonami used to put a series on the map in the US, not feed off of the corpses of its dwindling popularity.

we don't know what's going to happen with Naruto filler yet. as far as it being a rehash, it's been instrumental in bringing the block a lot of its current ratings, and that is BECAUSE it's an established property. i do not believe Fairy Tail would do that well, and Soul Eater's performance when it followed Naruto only cements this. Toonami getting a big show at all at that point is also questionable since they've stated Naruto was acquired from funds outside of their budget. it's not as simple as "they got Naruto when they could've got Fairy Tail."

Do the characters continue to act so nonsensically in SAO?

The Beta-prejudice made no fucking sense at all, and Kirito's decision to antagonize everyone was the most illogical reaction ever.

It does makes sense, the beta-testers are hated because they are generally perceived to be selfish. Instead of helping the newbies out when the true intentions of Akihiko are revealed, they monopolized the side quests and took over the best monster farming spots. Most people blame the first ~2,000 deaths that occurred at the start on them for not sharing the secrets they learned during the early access period.

Jintor

SAO makes a bit more sense when you realise the population of The World (Or whatever it's called in SAO) is composed entirely of the kinds of people you'd find on the official WoW forums

It does makes sense, the beta-testers are hated because they are generally perceived to be selfish. Instead of helping the newbies out when the true intentions of Akihiko are revealed, they monopolized the side quests and took over the best monster farming spots. Most people blame the first ~2,000 deaths that occurred at the start on them for not sharing the secrets they learned during the early access period.

last episode they just said the beta testers were handing out guides.

however, i would imagine in a situation like that people do not behave rationally. the beta tester prejudice is meant to be nonsensical; they are a scapegoat the other users can pin their troubles on because they need to blame SOMETHING.

Seda

Good post. Naruto is definitely the oddball here. Bleach is brand new, One Piece is airing never before seen on TV episodes even if they came out on disc a while ago, Soul Eater is new to the channel space and SAO is brand new of course as well. But Naruto is airing old episodes that have already aired and is also placed smack in the first hour. However, it seems to be doing well so far, so I can't fault them for placing it there. As for the fact that they seemingly will air the filler again because they are considered "premiere episodes"? the logic escapes me.

As for putting series on the map, I think Soul Eater has done the best job of that, maybe the Evangelion rebuild movies too. There was a point when Amazon sales for both those were high and they were at the top of the Anime best-sellers, but that may have been unrelated or insignificant.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
last episode they just said the beta testers were handing out guides.

however, i would imagine in a situation like that people do not behave rationally. the beta tester prejudice is meant to be nonsensical; they are a scapegoat the other users can pin their troubles on because they need to blame SOMETHING.

But they do have something to blame. The crazy ass dude who put them in this place in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom