• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
i thought about checking it out over there once, but then i saw somebody ranting about how the people who watch Toonami do so because then they don't think it's labeled as actual anime and are thus trying to escape from the stigma of watching anime.

i laughed myself all the way to the back button.

gJNqttG.gif

I'm pretty sure that the Winter 2012 Anime Threads were a greater deterrent for new posters than any other justification in existence. Especially that banner gif.

That said, like other posters, I've noticed that the general reaction to this thread is apathy, with a few touches of confusion and pity.

A lot of weeaboos nowadays like to try to cover up any impact Toonami or US TV had in their anime watching in the past and brag about how they were watching untranslated bootleg DBZ VHS tapes that were ahead of the US airing when they were a kid.

Walked 2 miles to school in the snow, both ways, barefoot, etc.

Reminds me of the Pre-SFIV scene and how people talk about that.

Anyone actually seen the Room before?

I have but I can't remember any of it because me and my friend watched it while getting blind stinking drunk

I watched it sober when it aired on [AS]. I watched it sober while my friends played a drinking game with it at some point. They loved it so much that I bought one of them a copy of the movie, along with the Blu-Ray of Birdemic. They're going to get cirrhosis someday, and I can't help but feel like it's all my fault.

LycanXIII

The uncontrollable growth of AnimeGAF threads is also a huge pain in the arse. You go do something for a few hours and you're behind by a dozen pages already. I just look at the last three pages these days. The 'who quoted me' feature was invaluable.

Obviously ToonamiGAF has nonsensically fast posting speed while a show is actually on, but a group viewing experience is a different beast.

Search > Show Posts > [quote=username

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So, who's ready for 32 weeks of Bleach filler?

Put the knives down.
And the guns.
And the cyanide capsules.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The uncontrollable growth of AnimeGAF threads is also a huge pain in the arse. You go do something for a few hours and you're behind by a dozen pages already. I just look at the last three pages these days. The 'who quoted me' feature was invaluable.

Obviously ToonamiGAF has nonsensically fast posting speed while a show is actually on, but a group viewing experience is a different beast.

Too bad it's never coming back.

yami4ct

Man I want the "Who Quoted Me" feature back. Made the speed of fast threads like AnimeGaf a non-issue. At least we have the different coloring now so you can skip through pages and easily pick out where you're quoted.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

i need to get that who quote me feature, that thread is always at the top which i thought was good until you realize it can be 2 pages since your last posting, ive posted a few things in there, mostly my few short impressions of current animes im watching, dont think anybody has ever responded to me though, wish k-on-gaf was that active D:

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
To be fair, I wasn't all that hyped for AoT going in. The source material has its own set of problems. Once you saw how they had to stretch a poorly paced manga out further, there were bound to be issues. Fight animations are still gorgeous though.

Um, there really isn't that much hostility. Cajun questions why you guys bother with watching stuff on TV when there's infinite legal streaming options available to watch this stuff or better right now, but that's as close to hostility I've seen in the Anime-Gaf thread.

Mostly they seem to enjoy peering in at us while we suffer through SAO, we know you are on the outside looking in, anyway, they seem to find Toonami-GAf inscrutable for they do not and probably will never understand the exercise. Not just about watching anime, or watching anime and posting a capsule review, it about watching this block with a group of people. See also Sports GAF and various sections of TV GAF.

yami4ct

Mostly they seem to enjoy peering in at us while we suffer through SAO, we know you are on the outside looking in, anyway, they seem to find Toonami-GAf inscrutable for they do not and probably will never understand the exercise. Not just about watching anime, or watching anime and posting a capsule review, it about watching this block with a group of people. See also Sports GAF and various sections of TV GAF.

It's more about "wait to watch on TV with commercials? Why?" Not really an anime attitude, but an internet attitude. Anime fans are just a hyper extension of your typical cable cutters. It's been forced on us by the industry. There's definitely a group watch mentality on anime-gaf as well. It's just defused among lots of different people doing their watches as well.

Jintor

Of course the truth is AnimeGAF is not one homogenous blob of opinions or whatever and is instead made of disparate members who drift from thread to thread

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It's more about "wait to watch on TV with commercials? Why?" Not really an anime attitude, but an internet attitude. Anime fans are just a hyper extension of your typical cable cutters. It's been forced on us by the industry.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. They still refuse to grasp the social appeal, which is a big reason why Toonami has thrived in this world that contains the likes of Crunchyroll.

yami4ct

Of course the truth is AnimeGAF is not one homogenous blob of opinions or whatever and is instead made of disparate members who drift from thread to thread

What are you talking about? Don't you know Anime-Gaf is a legion of super-AI all acting with a group mind?

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. They still refuse to grasp the social appeal, which is a big reason why Toonami has thrived in this world that contains the likes of Crunchyroll.

No, I guarantee that many of the members of AnimeGAF understand the appeal of watching anime, even or especially bad anime, with a group of people.

The specific user emoticon stuff goes WAY overboard, I'll grant you that.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of that and don't use it myself. They're injokes with no real point beyond being injokes.

The biggest reasons why I love manga/manGAF and toonami/tgaf is because new chapters/shows come out at the same time consistently every week so there can always be discussions on the newest events. Anime gaf however has 3 waves of a new episode coming out

1- when it premiers in Japan and people who live or have access to watching it live

The next two can change depending on the series

2/3- a simulcast is released via crunchy, funi, etc

3/2- fan subs come out

This leads to 3 waves of people watching shows which doesn't really promote good discussion of the series. It's probably why anime gaf has so many OT threads for every new season anime. It's hard to discuss a new show like gatchaman crowds or Sunday without god when you might get a post every 2-3 pages on it simply due to the scattered release period.

Anime gaf also has by far the biggest user base of the three threads, so things move a lot faster making individual post hard to stand out in the wave of constant updates. The users who go the most crazy ie corvo stand out because nobody can ignore their massive wall of cap locks and black bar posts.

Also I think the reason for a lot of over lap between manGAF and tgaf is due to the fact that the most popular series in manga are the shows that toonami consistently shows ie bleach naruto one piece. Most of the other shows on the block are either shonen style usually based upon manga/vns, are classics, or are western action toons. As the manga thread says we'd rather read shonen garbage then watch moe garbage and I feel that toonami gaf would rather watch shonen garbage then watch moe garbage.

Man I want the "Who Quoted Me" feature back. Made the speed of fast threads like AnimeGaf a non-issue. At least we have the different coloring now so you can skip through pages and easily pick out where you're quoted.

Color blind people like me cry :'(

He kind of didn't. The Cleveland Show has been cancelled after four seasons, making it the first of his three animated cartoons to get the axe.

It still got like 80 some odd episodes before that point more then a lot of good animated shows get

foxuzamaki

He kind of didn't. The Cleveland Show has been cancelled after four seasons, making it the first of his three animated cartoons to get the axe.

oh i know it was eventually cancelled but for something going on for 4 seasons is amazing, i mean, as a black person, this show is pretty racist since i know this is all because of seth mcfarlene, i mean he is really pushing the "im a nigga" stereotype like really hard

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Color blind people like me cry :'(

It still got like 80 some odd episodes before that point more then a lot of good animated shows get

Sad yet true. *pours one out for Sym-Bionic Titan*

Family Guy was canceled once.

Oh right, that happened years ago. Forgot about that.
Of course now FOX probably won't let it die again. Like they won't let The Simpsons die.

Azure J

I'm AnimeGAF and I'm also ToonamiGAF and it hurts when people start piling on one or the other in the other threads

stop tearing me apart

Haha, this is always great to see happen. I kinda poke in here and there but the big reason why I'm not a sick Anime-Manga-Toonami-GAF hybrid? The anime thread is so fast for me. Also doesn't help that I haven't been reading as much manga as I should. :(

Jintor

The main reason I'm not reading a lot of manga right now is that mango is getting an upgrade in a few months

also I don't particularly like manga that much even though I have this goddamn compulsion to buy it

foxuzamaki

i wish i can get back into manga as much as i use to :(, now i only really read the latest chapter of naruto and call it a day, although this year ive made some strides, ive read medaka box in its entierty, loved it, but i think he ended it because it wasent getting the sales it deserved, i also choosed a random manga that looked good to me to read, but its weirdly inconsistant with when it comes out so i figured ill just wait until it piles up some more

thetechkid

i wish i can get back into manga as much as i use to :(, now i only really read the latest chapter of naruto and call it a day, although this year ive made some straides, ive read medaka box in its entierty, loved it, but i think he ended it because it wasent getting the sales it deserved, i also choosed a random manga that looked good to me to read, but its weirdly inconsistant wiht when it comes out so i figured ill just wait until it piles up some more

Outside of the big three and the occasional surprise hit short series I don't like reading weekly so I tend to wait till something finishes so I've dropped off a bit too.

What are you talking about? Don't you know Anime-Gaf is a legion of super-AI all acting with a group mind?

People, please. It's a proven fact that Anime GAF is populated by various manifestations of Dresden, cajunator and a few other posters with strong personalities, with a few straggling individual personalities like Jexhius and /XX/. It's much like how every single poster in Toonami GAF is an aspect of Frankman. Frankman has a hard time coming to terms with the concept, so he pops in to tell the rest of us-him that we're nuts, that we're pretty much Anime GAF lite, that we're snitches, etc.

yami4ct

i wish i can get back into manga as much as i use to :(, now i only really read the latest chapter of naruto and call it a day, although this year ive made some strides, ive read medaka box in its entierty, loved it, but i think he ended it because it wasent getting the sales it deserved, i also choosed a random manga that looked good to me to read, but its weirdly inconsistant wiht when it comes out so i figured ill just wait until it piles up some more

The rash of not great adaptations of great series have pushed me back into manga. Aku no Hana, Magi, and Beelzebub are great. Of course, I still read Hunter x Hunter because that's my jam. Also checking out Attack on Titan out of some weird sense of obligation and for the good fights and reading Knights of Sidonia and Gundam the Origin whenever Vertical gets around to putting them out.

The key with manga is to read a bunch of different series on different schedules so you can distract yourself from the wait.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sketch Dump Cover:

zlCfzRF-QRoMa5h2yL

I'm not a huge fan of the Clone Wars style, lol. But it was fun to give it a shot... and I'll have to... for weeks and weeks to come... lol.

Hmmm... I should have used the Grid feature to line up the text better... Next Time!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
i wish i can get back into manga as much as i use to :(, now i only really read the latest chapter of naruto and call it a day, although this year ive made some strides, ive read medaka box in its entierty, loved it, but i think he ended it because it wasent getting the sales it deserved, i also choosed a random manga that looked good to me to read, but its weirdly inconsistant with when it comes out so i figured ill just wait until it piles up some more
Finished reading Medaka Box yesterday or so, gonna check out the anime sometime soon. Really liked it, but man, it didn't feel like it really give you much time to let the previous arc sink in, like "You thought THOSE guys were tough well guess what next chapter is gonna show off these TOUGHER people!!". I get filler isn't that popular, but I can't help but see it as a nice way to just let things slow down for a bit after a huge arc/event.

....or maybe I just read too many chapters at once. *shrugs*

Azure J

It's much like how every single poster in Toonami GAF is an aspect of Frankman. Frankman has a hard time coming to terms with the concept, so he pops in to tell the rest of us-him that we're nuts, that we're pretty much Anime GAF lite, that we're snitches, etc.

Frankman is a Great Old One confirmed.

yami4ct

Now American Dad is cancelled too. Well moved to TBS. I wish Family Guy was on TBS too.

No offense to people that like it, but thank god. I like McFarlane's humor in really small doses, but he's ruled adult comedy cartoons for way too long now.

Jintor

The rash of not great adaptations of great series have pushed me back into manga. Aku no Hana, Magi, and Beelzebub are great. Of course, I still read Hunter x Hunter because that's my jam. Also checking out Attack on Titan out of some weird sense of obligation and for the good fights and reading Knights of Sidonia and Gundam the Origin whenever Vertical gets around to putting them out.

The key with manga is to read a bunch of different series on different schedules so you can distract yourself from the wait.

I find it very difficult to 'juggle' multiple things. It's like reading a chapter from a book over five books at once. Especially for weekly manga, where a chapter is generally akin to a paragraph's worth of material ==;;

It's easier with stuff with longer schedules - Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun for instance has a good meaty 50-60 pages every update to tear through - but even that was only because it had a good 10 volumes or so first.

Sketch Dump Cover:

zlCfzRF-QRoMa5h2yL

I'm not a huge fan of the Clone Wars style, lol. But it was fun to give it a shot... and I'll have to... for weeks and weeks to come... lol.

Hmmm... I should have used the Grid feature to line up the text better... Next Time!
Should've had them decapitating JarJar.
ANNNNNNIIIIEEEEEE!!

foxuzamaki

oh yeah im reading AOT aswell, tho im a few chapters behind and yeah thats good, i really hate how the past 2 or so years alot of anime has adapted the 12-13 episode style, and they even adapt manga that just started or dont have nearly enough chapters yet which leaves it impossible to have a proper adaption, ive been thinking AoT anime adaption came way too soon aswell since they come out monthly and the author might not even make that much progress in that chapter

Azure J

It always sucks when you reach that point, but at the same time, sometimes just going full manga for a while gives you the ability to come back later and have fun with an adaptation once you aren't expecting the world from it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sketch Dump Cover:

zlCfzRF-QRoMa5h2yL

I will say after watching several episodes of Beware the Batman, I have come to really enjoy how good Clone Wars looks technically, though yea, it still has a shit art style.

yami4ct

I find it very difficult to 'juggle' multiple things. It's like reading a chapter from a book over five books at once. Especially for weekly manga, where a chapter is generally akin to a paragraph's worth of material ==;;

It's easier with stuff with longer schedules - Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun for instance has a good meaty 50-60 pages every update to tear through - but even that was only because it had a good 10 volumes or so first.

I read stuff that's mostly on either monthly or longer schedules, so that's why I end up reading so much. It's almost required for me to keep enough interest in manga to actually remember to read my series. Only weekly stuff I read is Magi, Beelzebub and Hunter x Hunter when it comes out. I find most of the stuff I'm interested in comes out out monthly.

foxuzamaki

Finished reading Medaka Box yesterday or so, gonna check out the anime sometime soon. Really liked it, but man, it didn't feel like it really give you much time to let the previous arc sink in, like "You thought THOSE guys were tough well guess what next chapter is gonna show off these TOUGHER people!!". I get filler isn't that popular, but I can't help but see it as a nice way to just let things slow down for a bit after a huge arc/event.

....or maybe I just read too many chapters at once. *shrugs*

well the point of medaka box was satire on the whole shonen genre which they really drove home when that certain person appeared lol, i think the same author of medeka box is the same for the monogatari series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom