• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

789shadow

Banned
The perverted stuff is toned down from the manga SO HARD.

Also Duckroll, you and the rest of AnimeGAF need to stop being cranky jerks who hate everything. HAVE SOME FUN.

But SAO is garbage.

Seda

The perverted jokes or whatever crap it pulls in Soul Eater were really distasteful in my eyes. Then again... I'm never for those types of jokes in the first place.

I like Kid's OCD problems and some other moments legitimately got a laugh out of me, like Black Star rushing into the medical room to "check" on Soul. But otherwise yes, the jokes involving Blair aren't my type.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'll agree that all the scenes involving Blair are lame,
especially since she's worthless overall

Meanwhile on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/368906447515443200

Fox ADHD beating Toonami? HA! HA HA HA HA!

TadkV.gif

So I don't usually do this, but cosmicblizzard asked me to, so here I am:

Soul Eater is a really boring piece of shit. He claims it's really popular here and you'll all beat me up or something if I said it was shit, but I don't think that's true. The show has some pretty solid action animation, and great designs, but overall it's a huge steaming pile of garbage. The pacing is crap, the villains are crap, the humor isn't funny, and honestly by the end of the series the "story" really never went anywhere. There isn't any real development between the characters, nothing really change, they just beat the big bad guy and called it a day. What's there to like?

I disagree on a lot of your points. The pacing on the show is pretty good. The lead up to the Kishin's revival was about 11 episodes and only 3 of those were unnecessary. The actual Kishin revival only took 7 episodes and in that span they had 3 major fights, they resolved the "black blood inside Maka and Soul" plotline, Crona was brought over to the good side, the aforementioned revival took place, and Medusa was defeated. If the show's pacing was as bad as you claim it to be, all of this would have been dragged out much longer.

As for the villain, i'd say Medusa is a pretty great villain. List of her achievements include:

She managed to infiltrate the DWMA.

She gained complete control of a witch that tried to kill her and made her do her bidding.

She pretty much tortured her own child into becoming one of the strongest weapons in her arsenal.

She actually achieved her goal of reviving the Kishin and made Stein's victory completely pointless. How many villains can say they've actually accomplished their goal?

Medusa is not only evil through and through, but she's smart and a blast to watch.

As for your other points, humor is subjective. If you don't like the comedy in the show, then that's that. A lot of us here really enjoyed it, but whatever. As we can't discuss stuff that hasn't aired, i'll just finish out my post by saying that what we've seen of the show so far has been really great.

We were mostly talking about Blue Exorcist, because of the new movie. He was the one who randomly pulled a Soul Eater comparison out of his ass. :D

That explains everything.

I'm keeping a close eye on you from now on, Cosmic.

Not really, I don't have that kind of time. Lurkin's a full time job.

I'll agree that all the scenes involving Blair are lame,
especially since she's worthless overall

Meanwhile on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/368906447515443200

Fox ADHD beating Toonami? HA! HA HA HA HA!

Unless Axe Cop or High School USA! take a drastic leap in overall quality, I can't possibly see that happening.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
you said fox and ADHD which is my username everywhere, and what i have, tho its just ADD and not ADHD, i was extremely confused to say the least

Heh sorry.
Fox Animation Domination High-Def (ADHD) is their newest programming block that airs an hour before Toonami starts. It's obviously trying to be like Adult Swim. Seriously I tried watching it once and it had surreal, "random" bumps that resembled the ones on Adult Swim.

I like Kid's OCD problems and some other moments legitimately got a laugh out of me, like Black Star rushing into the medical room to "check" on Soul. But otherwise yes, the jokes involving Blair aren't my type.

it kinda bothers me that Kid's OCD has an actual effect on his combat abilities.

and that Black Star joke totally destroyed a pretty nice moment.

Seda

it kinda bothers me that Kid's OCD has an actual effect on his combat abilities.

and that Black Star joke totally destroyed a pretty nice moment.

Hah, I also laugh at Sanji's weakness of women and that also affects his combat.

Perhaps I just have a thing for silly crippling weaknesses.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Heh sorry.
Fox Animation Domination High-Def (ADHD) is their newest programming block that airs an hour before Toonami starts. It's obviously trying to be like Adult Swim. Seriously I tried watching it once and it had surreal, "random" bumps that resembled the ones on Adult Swim.

doesnt sound like something i'd watch, specially since anime was a big part of AS early on and fox isnt known for that anymore, thanks for clearing that up

Heh sorry.

i think they hired somebody who was in charge of that stuff at Adult Swim in the past, actually.

Seda said:
Hah, I also laugh at Sanji's weakness of women and that also affects his combat.

Perhaps I just have a thing for silly crippling weaknesses.

i don't really have a problem with those jokes themselves, but when they're used in a serious context as a source of tension it's just bizarre. Kid's OCD is supposed to be funny, not the equivalent of whether he can maintain the Kamehameha

foxuzamaki

after reading the last some pages im surprised toonamigaf and animegaf doesnt overlap that much, i figured majority of animegaf got their "start" with programs like toonami back in the day

Tamanon

Banned
after reading the last some pages im surprised toonamigaf and animegaf doesnt overlap that much, i figured majority of animegaf got their "start" with programs like toonami back in the day

There's a good amount of hostility towards Toonami-GAF in AnimeGAF for some reason.

BatDan

i think they hired somebody who was in charge of that stuff at Adult Swim in the past, actually.

I am not surprised. Personally I think it's a case of too little too late. Adult Swim has had over a decade to establish itself, while FOX is trying far too late to try to compete.

Surprisingly I see more overlap between ToonamiGAF and MangaGAF.

There's a good amount of hostility towards Toonami-GAF in AnimeGAF for some reason.

i thought about checking it out over there once, but then i saw somebody ranting about how the people who watch Toonami do so because then they don't think it's labeled as actual anime and are thus trying to escape from the stigma of watching anime.

i laughed myself all the way to the back button.

foxuzamaki

I am not surprised. Personally I think it's a case of too little too late. Adult Swim has had over a decade to establish itself, while FOX is trying far too late to try to compete.

Surprisingly I see more overlap between ToonamiGAF and MangaGAF.
yeah, ive been a lurker for a long time and i notice the mangagaf mostly have sprites made by neorice(?) so i can tell if they are from mangagaf usually

yami4ct

Just wanted to say I called AnimeGAF turning on AoT. I CALLED IT

AnimeGAF is so predictable with every "OMFG GOD-TIER!!!" show it hypes up. =/

To be fair, I wasn't all that hyped for AoT going in. The source material has its own set of problems. Once you saw how they had to stretch a poorly paced manga out further, there were bound to be issues. Fight animations are still gorgeous though.

Um, there really isn't that much hostility. Cajun questions why you guys bother with watching stuff on TV when there's infinite legal streaming options available to watch this stuff or better right now, but that's as close to hostility I've seen in the Anime-Gaf thread.

A lot of weeaboos nowadays like to try to cover up any impact Toonami or US TV had in their anime watching in the past and brag about how they were watching untranslated bootleg DBZ VHS tapes that were ahead of the US airing when they were a kid.

AnimeGaf is /a/-lite and there's the same eletist anti-dub and anti "casuals"/"normals" attitude.

Toonami/US TV airing represents the most mainstream anime can get in the US, and usually follows the action/shonen genre, not the slice of life moe stuff that is popular among diehard anime enthusiasts nowadays.

Tenumi

Banned
i thought about checking it out over there once, but then i saw somebody ranting about how the people who watch Toonami do so because then they don't think it's labeled as actual anime and are thus trying to escape from the stigma of watching anime.

AnimeGaf isn't too bad once you get to know them. They just have trouble understanding opinions that are not their own.

Also, I'm gone tonight. Had a bad day, see everyone next week for Tenumi's Birthday Toonami!

Edit: I figure I should mention that I feel like I'm the odd one out in AnimeGAF. I don't know, maybe because I grew up with Toonami. Maybe its because I like to watch shows dubbed. I don't know.

Sailor Moon on Toonami was one of the first anime programs I watched, but I didn't get interested in anime beyond that until I saw Spirited Away several years later.

Jintor

I'm AnimeGAF and I'm also ToonamiGAF and it hurts when people start piling on one or the other in the other threads

stop tearing me apart

foxuzamaki

that's....disconcerting =/ i've watched countless anime in the past dubbed and subbed, i watch toonami every saturday because its one part of my life i really enjoy, i dont watch much tv anymore so toonami lets me turn it on every once in a while.
To be fair, I wasn't all that hyped for AoT going in. The source material has its own set of problems. Once you saw how they had to stretch a poorly paced manga out further, there were bound to be issues. Fight animations are still gorgeous though.

Um, there really isn't that much hostility. Cajun questions why you guys bother with watching stuff on TV when there's infinite legal streaming options available to watch this stuff or better right now, but that's as close to hostility I've seen in the Anime-Gaf thread.
i understand what cajun is saying, but i like giving my support to toonami
A lot of weeaboos nowadays like to try to cover up any impact Toonami or US TV had in their anime watching in the past and brag about how they were watching untranslated bootleg DBZ VHS tapes that were ahead of the US airing when they were a kid.

AnimeGaf is /a/-lite and there's the same eletist anti-dub and anti "casuals"/"normals" attitude.

Toonami/US TV airing represents the most mainstream anime can get in the US, and usually follows the action/shonen genre, not the slice of life moe stuff that is popular among diehard anime enthusiasts nowadays.
heh
AnimeGaf isn't too bad once you get to know them. They just have trouble understanding opinions that are not their own.

Also, I'm gone tonight. Had a bad day, see everyone next week for Tenumi's Birthday Toonami!
cya next week!

Jintor

Anyone actually seen the Room before?

I have but I can't remember any of it because me and my friend watched it while getting blind stinking drunk

BatDan

I have but I can't remember any of it because me and my friend watched it while getting blind stinking drunk

Twice.
Once by itself, and once with RiffTrax. The RiffTrax is totally worth it.

yami4ct

Not going to lie, I'm mostly in ToonamiGaf to see what you guys think of these shows more than anything else. I'm way behind on Soul Eater and haven't been watching any of the other shows. Gives me another outlet to talk about anime. Might actually start watching again when One Piece gets to Water7 or one of my personal faves gets picked up.

foxuzamaki

ive seen a scene or 2 on youtube, im one of those people who say they cant say when acting's "bad" or whatever but i can tell that is the absolute worse acting ive ever heard in my life, and it was hilarious.

There's shounen talk in animegaf too. Just not as much as a block that's half shounen (though I'd be cool if it was).

foxuzamaki

9v39.png

out of context pic from an anime you most likely dont know
Not going to lie, I'm mostly in ToonamiGaf to see what you guys think of these shows more than anything else. I'm way behind on Soul Eater and haven't been watching any of the other shows. Gives me another outlet to talk about anime. Might actually start watching again when One Piece gets to Water7 or one of my personal faves gets picked up.

99% of the shows toonami right now i have seen, and some of the ones still ongoing, im years ahead but its kinda fun rewatching stuff i havent actually seen in years
say do you watch the monogatari series?

I'm AnimeGAF and I'm also ToonamiGAF and it hurts when people start piling on one or the other in the other threads

stop tearing me apart
The only time we ever talk about anime-GAF is when someone brings up their reaction of our reaction to tv shows and just now when someone goaded Duckroll to come here and give us his opinion.

Seda

I have more than once gotten some less than flavorful remarks when I say I prefer hearing English to reading it. I will watch shows that never got a dub but I still prefer the dub option if it is there. I also think I much prefer the scope of the Toonami thread where there is only a handful of shows (current shows, past shows, similar shows) that are talked about, whereas in AnimeGAF people are free to talk about any show in a gigantic medium. It's honestly just a little to messy for me. I was going to say intimidating but that's not the right word. There's just a lot of talk about shows I really don't care anything about. Nothing against that thread as that can't be helped but that's why I tend to stick in here.

EDIT:

I have been posting some quickie impressions of my current Neon Genesis Evangelion run in there to test the waters but it's not nearly as fun as watching things live with this group.. I'll probably just stick to watching non-Toonami animes without much commentary.

yami4ct

There's shounen talk in animegaf too. Just not as much as a block that's half shounen (though I'd be cool if it was).

It seems like the only long-running shonen that gets any play on gaf outside of ManGaf and ToonamiGaf is Hunter x Hunter. People will acknowledge One Piece, but not much talk about that anime really happens. Naruto and Bleach might as well not exist with as much talk exists about them. I think it's mostly because once something goes on for so long, it becomes sort of boring and redundant to hold a conversation about it. What's left to say about those shows that hasn't been covered before?

Jex has said similar things, as have a few others.

We've discussed it and the convenience of TV over scouring the internet for stuff to watch, as well as people having limited time and the bigger selection not really giving any way to filter out anything that doesn't have "mainstream appeal".

Hostility might be too strong a word, but there's definitely a bit of elitism in regards to toonami-only anime watchers in animegaf.

Jintor

The uncontrollable growth of AnimeGAF threads is also a huge pain in the arse. You go do something for a few hours and you're behind by a dozen pages already. I just look at the last three pages these days. The 'who quoted me' feature was invaluable.

Obviously ToonamiGAF has nonsensically fast posting speed while a show is actually on, but a group viewing experience is a different beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom