• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I love BONES, I'm just surprised that people love Soul Eater. Then again, it's probably easier to digest if it's part of an anime block like Toonami is. Watching it weekly as an individual show got really painful for me back when it was first airing.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I love BONES, I'm just surprised that people love Soul Eater. Then again, it's probably easier to digest if it's part of an anime block like Toonami is. Watching it weekly as an individual show got really painful for me back when it was first airing.

Shows usually end up easier to get through on Toonami. Except Bleach... and Tenchi Muyo GXP. Those are still crap no matter what.

i don't really see how the pacing is any worse than just about any other show in its genre. in fact, i'd say it's probably better.

Seda

I think the pacing of Soul Eater is quite good actually so far. Can't comment on the overall plot, or how characters develop as we're only half way though (although so far I can understand your complaints as of this point). And of course humor is going to vary for everyone. And yes I agree that the animation and design are the strongest point of the show.

But the pacing? It doesn't seem to drag nor does it seem to flash important scenes by excessively quickly, at least up to this point. In the earlier part of the show, no one event is given more than a few episodes to conclude. Tsubaki taking on her brother? Two episodes. Kid's expedition on the Baltic Sea? Two episodes. Only this last arc with the chase in the dungeons under the academy is more than a fingerful of episodes long, and it still felt okay because each main character got some time on the spotlight at various points, so it always felt fresh. I think it's a strong point of the show so far, but then again, following Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece might skew with my pacing perception, haha.

Jintor

It's also a comparison thing. Imagine watching Bleach, then Naruto, then filler-tier One Piece, and THEN SOUL EATER

Also a lot of your complaints are predicated on watching the entire thing, which we haven't done yet. Moment to moment Soul Eater is probably the best thing in the first half of the block.

Additionally I find the humour pretty funny, at least in english

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So I don't usually do this, but cosmicblizzard asked me to, so here I am:

Soul Eater is a really boring piece of shit. He claims it's really popular here and you'll all beat me up or something if I said it was shit, but I don't think that's true. The show has some pretty solid action animation, and great designs, but overall it's a huge steaming pile of garbage. The pacing is crap, the villains are crap, the humor isn't funny, and honestly by the end of the series the "story" really never went anywhere. There isn't any real development between the characters, nothing really change, they just beat the big bad guy and called it a day. What's there to like?

A lot of the problems with the Soul Eater show stem from the fact that at a certain point it diverged from the source material and came up with an original ending. That being said, if you think Soul Eater is guilty of things like shit pacing and nobody ever changing and other very debatable things, obviously you have not suffered through the likes of Bleach. Just episode after episode of recaps and NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENING.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Do you think Space Dandy will disappoint?:p

Space Dandy is a show I can see end up being excellent and better than 95% of modern anime, but at the same time not live up to Bebop and end up disappointing a lot of over-hyped people.

duckroll

How far is Toonami into Soul Eater anyway? I thought the pacing was fine up until the middle of the series were it just got really annoying. The entire arc with the school under attack went on and on and on and on for like 10 episodes. It was dreadful. After that the series just got way less interesting too.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
A lot of the problems with the Soul Eater show stem from the fact that at a certain point it diverged from the source material and came up with an original ending. That being said, if you think Soul Eater is guilty of things like shit pacing and nobody ever changing and other very debatable things, obviously you have not suffered through the likes of Bleach. Just episode after episode of recaps and NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENING.

Sounds like Attack on Titan.

And why would we beat you up? We've got no beef with Anime-GAF.

cosmicblizzard, on the other hand...
Clc0wrF.png

Whoa now, I didn't think he would really do it! I'm a massive Soul Eater fan here!

Ask him what he thinks about Deadman Wonderland.

Moaradin

How far is Toonami into Soul Eater anyway? I thought the pacing was fine up until the middle of the series were it just got really annoying. The entire arc with the school under attack went on and on and on and on for like 10 episodes. It was dreadful. After that the series just got way less interesting too.

We're about halfway now. I agree the show gets less interesting once it deviates from the manga. Though pacing was never a problem with me. Even after it deviates, a lot of things are happening at a pretty fast pace. I just didn't much care for any of it.

Raxus

Soul Eater is a really boring piece of shit. He claims it's really popular here and you'll all beat me up or something if I said it was shit, but I don't think that's true. The show has some pretty solid action animation, and great designs, but overall it's a huge steaming pile of garbage. The pacing is crap, the villains are crap, the humor isn't funny, and honestly by the end of the series the "story" really never went anywhere. There isn't any real development between the characters, nothing really change, they just beat the big bad guy and called it a day. What's there to like?

I can't comment on this too much since, unlike you, I haven't seen the full series. That being said the pacing has been great so far. I expect this to take a nosedive as it diverts from the manga but for now it introduced us to 3 main leads, gave us insight into the world, Muramusa, black blood and slowly built up to the Keshin revival. Apart from the 3 intro episodes I'd say it had some pretty darn good pacing. We just met the main villain and only seen a little of Medusa (who I like) so no comment on that. As far as humor I can't really argue since humor is subjective. That being said I found the exam episode and the Excalibur episodes to be hilarious. I see what you mean about development in the characters but again this is because a small chunk of the manga only made it into the anime from what I heard which explains a ton.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

We are in the second half of the series.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Tonight is Episode 26, so we're half-way through now.
The pacing is fine for me. Then again, I've read the original Soul Eater manga, and we suffer through fucking Bleach, and later episodes of One Piece have pretty dreadful pacing (which is why I'm hoping when Toonami gets to later arcs, they do two episodes a week instead of one).

That's also a good point, and it applies to other shows on the block as well, including that weird half-hour where nothing used to air a few months ago.

That's how far we're in now, hahahaha
Episode 26 airs tonight.

Just wanted to say I called AnimeGAF turning on AoT. I CALLED IT

AnimeGAF is so predictable with every "OMFG GOD-TIER!!!" show it hypes up. =/

Do you think Space Dandy will disappoint?:p

Yeah Andrex, what are your thoughts on the once-in-a-generation space epic, the new genre of space action, Space Dandy?

ckohler

There's really nothing I can say about your opinion other than I completely disagree in just about every way aside from agreeing that the show is slick as shit and has great animation.

Soul Eater's pacing is downright lightening fast compared to just about any other shonen show. Stuff actually happens and resolves within single episodes. The humor IS funny because the characters are charming, further boosted by the great voice acting. The characters do change a little (Chrona has an arc and Maka does too although it's resolved quickly). If anything, these characters are more like archetypes and in their fantasy world that idea works. Also, the soundtrack is phenomenal.

I can understand anyone saying they have issues with this show, and the quality does dip in the last 3rd, but calling it outright shit just seems egregious.

kayos90

Duckroll is a big fat meanie. >.>
And Sword Art Online is pretty meh so far.

While yall watch an episode of SAO that I thought was better in my memory but I realized after watching earlier this week that it gave me brain damage, I'll be watching next week's episode. And the one after that. And the one after that.

Soul Eater would feel like the best shounen action series ever by that point. Lol.

Everything from the opening to the freedom of the keishin ie what's been on toonami was fantastic. Duck roll did you watch the sub or the dub I've heard sub maka is pretty awful and ruined the show for people

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The pacing is the only complaint that I don't get. It was somewhat of a slow build with episodic episodes and a few two-offs in the beginning, but it was building the characters and each episode itself was paced pretty expertly. But the recent stuff with racing to stop the Kishin from being awakened was some pretty wild stuff, the end of every episode left me wanting much more.

XT0Rg08l.png

xbRvRv1l.png

SG64TWPl.png

Adrenaline was flowing pretty quick after this cliffhanger in particular, I have to say.

Maybe pacing becomes a problem after it diverges from the manga, don't know.

What I also like about Soul Eater is that everything feels earned. There's no ass-grabs here, not in the story, not in the characterization, not in any kind of completely unforeseen powerups. The characters in every single situation all act as they're supposed to. It never feels like they're forced to do or act a certain way in order for the story to progress how the writers want it to.

The characters also deserve a special mention. The comedy is personally a bit hit or miss for me, I may
KuGsj.gif
on GAF in the heat of the moment but some of it feels a bit like trying to capture the original FMA blend of drama and comedy and not pulling it off with confidence (see also, FMA Brotherhood.)

The main cast however are great. These are interesting characters that don't act stupidly -- easily putting them heads and shoulders above most other mopey or overdramatic shonen heroes. Maka is a badass but the show never wavers from showing her being pensive or unsure of something.

In another show, Maka being concerned over Soul's scar might have turned into a two-episode subplot about her "finding herself" or trying to stupidly redeem herself somehow, with Soul showing up and saying through gritted teeth and tears, "Baka! I always needed you!" Instead, Maka and Soul realistically talk it out like actual people and actual friends do. There's dozens of opportunities for things like this to happen in any show, and Soul Eater deserves commendation for frequently taking the "high road."

Soul Eater also frequently goes out of its way to do unexpected things, but it's really the world that deserves credit for being so fascinating and well constructed. At first, I was put off by the "this is supposed to be our world?" aspect, which I'm still a bit "eh" on -- would it kill the series to show a bit of how the outside world actually reacts to all this craziness instead of just showing these series-exlusive locations (or worse, clearing out a famous location -- the London Bridge -- of any normies altogether?)

I won't waste two sentences on the animation because it's already possibly the most critically-lauded aspect of the show, but on top of that every fight is interesting and dynamic because of both each character's unique powers and the mythology of the world at large. "DBZ with deathscythes," this is not.

While I don't think Soul Eater is perfect, it's almost easily the best show airing new episodes on Toonami right now.

;-)
I can't believe you let cosmicblizzard talk you into it. :D

It was a throwaway joke that wasn't meant to be taken seriously after a short discussion comparing Blue Exorcist to Soul Eater!

Bah, I guess I should explain why I love it as well since I got everyone into this mess.

The obvious answers are the action animation/choreography and designs, but what those do is elevate the TRUE reason I love the series; insanity! It's a theme that's fun as hell in general. It's why I'm a huge fan of characters like Albedo and whatnot.

Now when the designs and concept try to compliment that theme via the rule of cool, you get something that's just fuckin crazy, stylish and a visual treat. I find it reminiscent of Imaishi's work (Dead Leaves, Gurren Lagann), even if I wouldn't say it's as good as most of his stuff.

tldr; fun things are fun.

Jintor

Hey, it's just my opinion, doesn't make anyone else's less valid. I was just curious what people enjoyed about it outside of the action and designs. Plus, cosmicblizzard put me up to this! :D

Does our singaporean (okay I'm malaysian) blood mean nothinggggggggg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

What do you think of Ouran, ducky?
AMzq9lr.gif

duckroll

What do you think of Ouran, ducky?
AMzq9lr.gif

Ouran is pretty great. In fact, that's part of the reason why I shit on Soul Eater so much. Instead of directing a shounen action show Igarashi could have been directing something like that instead. Too bad after Soul Eater he went even further down the action spectrum with Star Driver. :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ouran is my favorite anime ever, for reals. What's kind of amazing is that up through the manga that I've read, the anime is pretty easily superior. And the manga's already great. Pitch perfect direction that made me an instant BONES fanboy.

If only it was made ~2 years later so it could have been HD... or even 16:9. =/

kayos90

Ouran is pretty great. In fact, that's part of the reason why I shit on Soul Eater so much. Instead of directing a shounen action show Igarashi could have been directing something like that instead. Too bad after Soul Eater he went even further down the action spectrum with Star Driver. :(

It's a pinch.

duckroll

I want to ask how the heck a conversation like that got started, but I get the feeling that I wouldn't want to know the answer.

We were mostly talking about Blue Exorcist, because of the new movie. He was the one who randomly pulled a Soul Eater comparison out of his ass. :D

kayos90

I thought the Blair/Mizune thing was incredibly dumb.

The perverted jokes or whatever crap it pulls in Soul Eater were really distasteful in my eyes. Then again... I'm never for those types of jokes in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom