• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT7| I Don't Believe It

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Alright guys. Hidden in my post you will find the link to a secret survey. What is this secret survey? I'm glad you asked! In order to fill up a slot on the ToonamiGAF Pre-Show Watchblock we need suggestions for shows. Serious suggestions! Any suggestion is good, however, keep in mind that the primary reason why this watchblock exists is to show awesome shows that people haven't seen, such as Valvrave (Yes we know some of you hate it.). As a result this will be the first survey to gather information on what shows we should have. A second survey will go out to finalize what show we should watch.

Fill out the survey and read the directions! It's important. Other than that, go HAM.

Already done! I also misread and only put 1 in the first thing....sorry

My man. Are you all caught up?

Love the anime. Remember the manga exists every year or so and catch up. The dub is quite good and it would fit Toonami quite well. It's a fairly cheap Funimation show, 52 episodes, action/comedy with some amount but not too much plot and backstory.

I'm pissed the anime never went past the first arc; the story only gets better and I'd love to see some of the later fights animated (Ex. Sakaki v
Hongo
). I agree that the dub is well done and would be PERFECT for toonami. It manages to do a great job balancing between action and comedy; there's also some fanservice for those who enjoy that. It probably would be cheap to pick up, I might tweet at DeMarco and try to lobby for it getting picked up in the future.

Here's the opening for the uninitiated:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFj_fINg1Ag

And a brief synopsis of the beginning of the series:
[History's Strongest Disciple] focuses on Kenichi Shirahama, an average 17-year-old high school student who has been picked on his whole life. However, on his first day of class, he meets and befriends the mysterious transfer student, Miu Fūrinji. Driven by his desire to become stronger, he follows her to Ryōzanpaku, a dojo housing several masters of diverse martial arts, led by her grandfather Hayato Fūrinji, who is known as the strongest man on Earth. After learning basics from Miu, Kenichi is able to
beat a high-ranking member of the school's karate club
, and becomes a target for all the delinquents in the school. While initially training to get stronger and protect himself, Kenichi eventually becomes a full-fledged disciple of Ryōzanpaku, working hard to fulfill his oath to protect the ones in need, especially Miu, with whom he falls in love. Subsequently, Kenichi's daily routine is divided between hellish training under the six masters of Ryōzanpaku, and his fights against the members of Ragnarok, a gang that views him as either a possible ally or an impending threat to their plans.

It only gets better after that

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
My man. Are you all caught up?

I'm pissed the anime never went past the first arc; the story only gets better and I'd love to see some of the later fights animated (Ex. Sakaki v
Hongo
). I agree that the dub is well done and would be PERFECT for toonami. It manages to do a great job balancing between action and comedy; there's also some fanservice for those who enjoy that. It probably would be cheap to pick up, I might tweet at DeMarco and try to lobby for it getting picked up in the future.

Here's the opening for the uninitiated:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFj_fINg1Ag

And a brief synopsis of the beginning of the series:
[History's Strongest Disciple] focuses on Kenichi Shirahama, an average 17-year-old high school student who has been picked on his whole life. However, on his first day of class, he meets and befriends the mysterious transfer student, Miu Fūrinji. Driven by his desire to become stronger, he follows her to Ryōzanpaku, a dojo housing several masters of diverse martial arts, led by her grandfather Hayato Fūrinji, who is known as the strongest man on Earth. After learning basics from Miu, Kenichi is able to
beat a high-ranking member of the school's karate club
, and becomes a target for all the delinquents in the school. While initially training to get stronger and protect himself, Kenichi eventually becomes a full-fledged disciple of Ryōzanpaku, working hard to fulfill his oath to protect the ones in need, especially Miu, with whom he falls in love. Subsequently, Kenichi's daily routine is divided between hellish training under the six masters of Ryōzanpaku, and his fights against the members of Ragnarok, a gang that views him as either a possible ally or an impending threat to their plans.

It only gets better after that

I watched all of the anime, I want to know what chapter the anime leaves off on, I know theres a few OVAs afterwards I need to watch but I dont think they're dubbed which disappointed me because I watched the show dub, all like what? 52 episodes of it

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pretty sure it's back on Netflix after a long hiatus too if you have it.

It was a staple of the former Funimation Channel which means it must have been cheap as chips to air!

Alright guys. Hidden in my post you will find the link to a secret survey. What is this secret survey? I'm glad you asked! In order to fill up a slot on the ToonamiGAF Pre-Show Watchblock we need suggestions for shows. Serious suggestions! Any suggestion is good, however, keep in mind that the primary reason why this watchblock exists is to show awesome shows that people haven't seen, such as Valvrave (Yes we know some of you hate it.). As a result this will be the first survey to gather information on what shows we should have. A second survey will go out to finalize what show we should watch.

Fill out the survey and read the directions! It's important. Other than that, go HAM.

Done!

I'll admit to everyone that the shows I suggested are G Gundam, Gurren Laggann, HunterxHunter, History's Strongest Disciple and Sailor Moon.

foxuzamaki

Oh I also seen some chapters of the manga for kenichi's strongest desciple, and yeah, echi to the extreme, every fight I think they find some way to get you know who naked.

Gurren Lagann, Gun X Sword, Ippo, Danganronpa, and Pokemon Origins were mine none of which I've seen outside of a few episodes of GL and the first episode of GxS

Moaradin

Only posted one but if I had to pick 5 it would be

Hunter x Hunter (2011)

Gurren Lagann

Ippo

Pokemon: Origins. English version comes out soon too.

Possibly Kill la Kill cause it's too hype.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Oh I also seen some chapters of the manga for kenichi's strongest desciple, and yeah, echi to the extreme, every fight I think they find some way to get you know who naked.

Not as big a problem in the anime portion. The series does go hyper echi after that though.

foxuzamaki

Chapter 143
thanks
Not as big a problem in the anime portion. The series does go hyper echi after that though.

Boobs...boobs everywhere.

excellent.

also just watched episode 70 of hajime no ippo, I love the series as a whole, absolutely adore the fighting, find the training episodes inspirational, but I think my favorite episodes of hajime no ippo is when they arent training for the next match and everyone is being bros and such.
I think kenichi world's strongst disciple is also like hajime no ippo, however it doesnt hide that it is a shonen and doesnt try to stay realistic on purpose, which is completely fine.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Am I the only one here who reads History's Strongest Disciple: Kenichi, or has seen the anime? I feel like people here would really like that series.
I watched the anime in high school. Thought it was pretty decent, but after seeing how long the manga is, I have no desire to try and read all of that.

I'll see if I can do this later tonight, especially figuring out recommendations.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
hey seda maybe get evilore to add quick reply for reals and then i wouldn't have to spend time making an extensio to hack it in

maybe i dunno just thinking out loud here

foxuzamaki

hajime no ippo episode 71....
this is gonna be so fucking hype!!!....SO....MUCH....BUILDUP!!....and the beginning of the match was just..........IT'S GOING TO BE A REAL FUCKING MATCH!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
After much thought & consideration, I decided the best animes for a bunch of guys to watch together would be Queen's Blade, Queen's Blade Season 2, Queen's Blade Season 3, Seikon No Qwaser, & Seikon no Qwaser Season 2!! Truly I've picked the pinnacles of anime entertainment that can never be triumphed!

GTO, Attack on Titan which I haven't seen, Kill la Kill, Danshi Kōkōsei no Nichijō since a comedy might be fun, and Gurren Lagann because some haven't seen it & reactions would be awesome.

foxuzamaki

After much thought & consideration, I decided the best animes for a bunch of guys to watch together would be Queen's Blade, Queen's Blade Season 2, Queen's Blade Season 3, Seikon No Qwaser, & Seikon no Qwaser Season 2!! Truly I've picked the pinnacles of anime entertainment that can never be triumphed!

GTO, Attack on Titan which I haven't seen, Kill la Kill, Danshi Kōkōsei no Nichijō since a comedy might be fun, and Gurren Lagann because some haven't seen it & reactions would be awesome.

You know your ecchi, seikon no qwasor? oh man cant wait for somebody's reaction when they google it.

denzel_intro.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Despite mentioning them, I think I only made it about 1/2 way to the first season of Queen's Blade (again, this was in high school, the peak of puberty) and got bored with it. Only things that stuck out to me (aside the obvious) was the ending of the first episode (seriously, that was a hilarious WTF moment) & the fact one of the characters, Melona is voiced by the same female that did Amy Rose in the Sonic games and anime.

....oh, & uh, add me to "official quick reply would be nice". That, combined with Live Thread, are seriously helpful.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
There's one person who didn't even suggest a show that they haven't seen. I know it's sort of hard but come on guys!

The ideal situation is when I've seen it, but everyone else hasn't so I can have greater anticipation for reactions to specific moments I know are coming up.

Raxus

Submitted. I hope you share some of our responses with the group. I am proud of a few of them.

I figured we would want some fresh shows but being aware of good shows and not watching them can be difficult. I added a couple 'fresh' watches for me. I can suggest more that most of Toonami GAF hasn't seen but they aren't all action sadly.

There's one person who didn't even suggest a show that they haven't seen. I know it's sort of hard but come on guys!

And that was the moment Kayos realized why Toonami official takes public opinion into consideration before flat out ignoring them and airing what they want to air

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I fully understand wanting to suggest shows that most people haven't seen to have more fun with the reactions & opinions, but it can be kind of hard trying to find something that hasn't been seen by a decent amount of us while making it seem interesting to the rest of the group, similar to what Raxus said. & honestly, learning about shows from others who have seen it is a great method of discovering shows, because you get opinions on what it's about and how much people liked it. Really, the closest show that would fit that would be Kill la Kill since it's still airing or some other show that just recently premiered this season, so we're all waiting for the next episode to air.

Edit: Damn, I should have suggested Tiger & Bunny since that's another one I haven't seen.

Crocodile

Gurren Lagann, Gun X Sword, Ippo, Danganronpa, and Pokemon Origins were mine none of which I've seen outside of a few episodes of GL and the first episode of GxS

Wow, you haven't seen Gurren Lagann? I figured you of all people would have seen it. Its a must watch though I'm not a fan of the dub :( With regards to Gun X Sword, its thoroughly average. I like Van and all and the OST is great but overall........meh.

I'm curious. Who else hasn't seen Gurren Lagann? I thought it was a show that nearly everybody had seen.

Other then Avatar/Korra what western animation is worth discussing?

Young Justice, Green Lantern, TMNT 2012 are all recent standouts but I've seen all of them multiple times or am currently already watching them so I wouldn't feel the need to see them again. The various Justice League series, Batman Beyond and the Adventures of Superman/Batman (I may be misremembering the name) are also all good shows but again I've seen like all the episodes from those shows multiple times, I'd rather save slots for stuff I haven't seen.

I vote we dedicate a night to watching the Endless 8. Whoever watches all 8 and lives wins!

man, watching that without showing people the series first is cruel. at least when you've seen other episodes you can sort of hide behind the knowledge that it's a good show otherwise

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
man, watching that without showing people the series first is cruel. at least when you've seen other episodes you can sort of hide behind the knowledge that it's a good show otherwise

Like I said, I'm up for movie nights and such as well.

foxuzamaki

well just finished off the first season of hajime no ippo, watched the takamura special and the OVA, and now currently watching the movie, will give impressions tomorrow

Raxus

Only posted one but if I had to pick 5 it would be

Hunter x Hunter (2011)

Gurren Lagann

Ippo

Pokemon: Origins. English version comes out soon too.

Possibly Kill la Kill cause it's too hype.
Kill la kill is a shoe in for Toonami barring it becomes a slice of life it off nowhere.

Mine were Spice and Wolf, Kids on the slope, Tiger Bunny, Madoka Magica, and Baccano!

I support Pokemon O and any anime that isn't 100 episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom