• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT7| I Don't Believe It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
i said Great Teacher Onizuka, Durarara, Welcome to the NHK, Rurouni Kenshin, and Gantz

Great list here. Only thing I would change is subbing out DRR for Bacanno.

GTO and NHK are basically the anime I watch when I get them low down sad feelings. Both are inspirational to the extreme.

Great list here. Only thing I would change is subbing out DRR for Bacanno.

GTO and NHK are basically the anime I watch when I get them low down sad feelings. Both are inspirational to the extreme.

well, i've never actually seen Durarara, and Baccano is really not something i'd recommend watching with a week between episodes; it's a great show, but not something i'd want to see in this format. if we're all kinda confused by Steins;Gate, that'd probably be a billion times worse lol

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
For you Jojo fans, there was an interesting mention by Siliconera about All-Star Battle being localized & that "the localized names will be matched to the U.S. and European versions of the recent anime to ensure consistency." This seems to hint at the fact the anime is getting localized as well, though it's unclear if the first season/part 1 & 2 are coming over, just part 3, or both seasons.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Work took its toll on me so ill get to my impressions sometime later(thinking of writing a LTTP of the 2 seasons(plus OVA and movies) just started the first episode of champion road earlier today will try to finish if im up to it

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
For you Jojo fans, there was an interesting mention by Siliconera about All-Star Battle being localized & that "the localized names will be matched to the U.S. and European versions of the recent anime to ensure consistency." This seems to hint at the fact the anime is getting localized as well, though it's unclear if the first season/part 1 & 2 are coming over, just part 3, or both seasons.

Oh... oh wow. I hope this is happening.

I'd say not to get angry when they change certain names, but this is the internet, people will get mad no matter what.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I don't think Part 1 would really need it (Speedwagon, despite being named after R.E.O Speedwagon, wouldn't be an issue, I think), but come Part 2 & 3, that's when I can think of some trouble (especially since the Capcom fighter had to change some Part 3 names). I can't remember if the Part 3 manga in the US changed names. I heard that Vanilla Ice was kept.

Part 4 will probably have two names changed for the villains' stands/attacks (off the top of my head), both in the anime should it happen, and in the game.

BatDan

I don't think Part 1 would really need it (Speedwagon, despite being named after R.E.O Speedwagon, wouldn't be an issue, I think), but come Part 2 & 3, that's when I can think of some trouble (especially since the Capcom fighter had to change some Part 3 names). I can't remember if the Part 3 manga in the US changed names. I heard that Vanilla Ice was kept.

Part 4 will probably have two names changed for the villains' stands/attacks (off the top of my head), both in the anime should it happen, and in the game.

The Viz translation did change names.
Devo the Cursed became "Soul Sacrifice"
Rubber Soul became "Robber Soul"
Enya became "Enyaba"
Steely Dan became "Rubber Soul" (yeah that's not confusing!)
Oingo & Boingo became "Zenytta" and "Mondatta"

That's probably why they never licensed Part 4 and beyond.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The Viz translation did change names.
Devo the Cursed became "Soul Sacrifice"
Rubber Soul became "Robber Soul"
Enya became "Enyaba"
Steely Dan became "Rubber Soul" (yeah that's not confusing!)
Oingo & Boingo became "Zenytta" and "Mondatta"

That's probably why they never licensed Part 4 and beyond.

Why did Steely Dan become Rubber Soul? Why did Rubber Soul need to change in the first place? Why not just go with Steel Danny for Steely Dan? Also why did Devo the Cursed have to change? That one seems fine.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I remember the Capcom fighter had "Robber Soul" even in the XBLA/PSN port. I should see what else was changed in the game. Edit: Muhammad Abdul was changed to Avdol to avoid Paula Abdul references as well.

Also why did Devo the Cursed have to change? That one seems fine.
I assume due to it being named after Devo the band (Whip It).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, I remember the Capcom fighter had "Robber Soul" even in the XBLA/PSN port. I should see what else was changed in the game.

I assume due to it being named after Devo the band (Whip It).

I know, but adding "the Cursed" seems like it would have eliminated the problem. It seems like the guys translating it for official release are just overly freaked out by the thought of a lawsuit. A very slight change to the name is usually enough to get around copyright laws in a case like this, otherwise we'd never have had Spaceballs or the Scary Movie movies.

BatDan

I know, but adding "the Cursed" seems like it would have eliminated the problem. It seems like the guys translating it for official release are just overly freaked out by the thought of a lawsuit. A very slight change to the name is usually enough to get around copyright laws in a case like this, otherwise we'd never have had Spaceballs or the Scary Movie movies.

It's Viz, they're... not very bright. I've had my fair share of criticisms on their One Piece translations over the years. Plus, we hear their Bleach dub every week with all the literal translations and poorly delivered lines.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's Viz, they're... not very bright. I've had my fair share of criticisms on their One Piece translations over the years. Plus, we hear their Bleach dub every week with all the literal translations and poorly delivered lines.

I know, it just seems like most of those names would have been perfectly fine over here.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They really fucked up the One Piece manga in the beginning though a deal of that was conforming with the 4kids anime.

Raxus

Kill la kill is a shoe in for Toonami barring it becomes a slice of life it off nowhere.

*Watches episode 3 of Kill la Kill*

ad-huge-mistake-1.gif

Great episode but yeah...them transformation scenes have so much plot and backstory I doubt we could contain it all in one night.

i feel like i probably asked this before, but what did VIZ do to One Piece?

Zolo

Not translating God Enel instead leaving it as Kami Enel

Switching how they translate things between chapters/volumes aka a future character's attack is translated as chambers then is later translated as shambles (shambles being correct)

There is a group of little people in the series that are called dwarves, Viz decided to call them trolls little people instead of dwarves because "dwarves are connect to LotR"

Yea, I don't see Kill La Kill ever joining the Toonami nation.

I haven't seen episode 3 yet (Danganronpa and finally getting a job sucked up my day) but I felt this was pretty obvious after episode 1 simply due to the costume design. Then again they did air SAO which shows a 12 year old in her underwear so I guess anythings possible.

Moaradin

SAO plot and backstory gets pretty crazy later on. If they can show some of the stuff that happens later in SAO, Kill la Kill won't be a problem. It's a lot more self aware about it.

BatDan

Zolo

Not translating God Enel instead leaving it as Kami Enel

Switching how they translate things between chapters/volumes aka a future character's attack is translated as chambers then is later translated as shambles (shambles being correct)

There is a group of little people in the series that are called dwarves, Viz decided to call them trolls instead of dwarves because "dwarves are connect to LotR"

There's also lying about Mr. 2 Bon Clay being a crossdresser.

Recent chapters changed it back to "Chambres", and Stephen is claiming "that's what Oda intended". I call bullshit of course.

Also it was "little people" not "trolls". But Dwarves is still the correct one because "People are stupid and think Tolkien"

There's also lying about Mr. 2 Bon Clay being a crossdresser.

Recent chapters changed it back to "Chambres", and Stephen is claiming "that's what Oda intended". I call bullshit of course.

Also it was "little people" not "trolls". But Dwarves is still the correct one because "People are stupid and think Tolkien"

Does Stephen like not watch the anime at all? It's very clearly said in Japanese multiple times. Also how on earth does he get a room naming motif out of
Law? All his attacks are based upon being a surgeon hence the name surgeon of death... did he call the heart shock attack he used against the yeti cool brothers

Man God

Non-Canon Member
From what I've seen of Kill La Kill it might be just beyond their tolerable skin levels, at least without a return to the painted on swimsuits!

BatDan

Does Stephen like not watch the anime at all? It's very clearly said in Japanese multiple times. Also how on earth does he get a room naming motif out of
Law? All his attacks are based upon being a surgeon hence the name surgeon of death... did he call the heart shock attack he used against the yeti cool brothers

To be fair, I wouldn't use the anime as a good judge considering the Japanese L/R. But it does sound more like "Shambles", it also makes more sense when you consider the first time
he used it, it turned a group of Marines in a bunch of body parts, or "shambles".
. I think Stephen is just too arrogant.

And yeah, just because his main attack is "Room", doesn't mean all his attacks are room-themed. That's just pointless guesswork.

From what I've seen of Kill La Kill it might be just beyond their tolerable skin levels, at least without a return to the painted on swimsuits!

I doubt we'd get digital swimsuits again. Whoever licenses it could probably put censor bars over the offending parts with the words "Buy the DVD" on them.

To be fair, I wouldn't use the anime as a good judge considering the Japanese L/R. But it does sound more like "Shambles", it also makes more sense when you consider the first time
he used it, it turned a group of Marines in a bunch of body parts, or "shambles".
. I think Stephen is just too arrogant.

And yeah, just because his main attack is "Room", doesn't mean all his attacks are room-themed. That's just pointless guesswork.

I doubt we'd get digital swimsuits again. Whoever licenses it could probably put censor bars over the offending parts with the words "Buy the DVD" on them.

Still even with the L/R thing it should still be easy to figure out

Stephen is just a clown and is part of the problem that is the American manga scene

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't even mind Zolo. It's a sweet name and dodging Hollywood naming rights issues is always a good thing.

It's...everything else about the OP manga, especially early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom