• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT7| I Don't Believe It

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed that Aniplex is splitting up SAO into 4 bluray volumes. Now I know why the anime industry is dying. How do you split up a 25 episode series into 4 volumes and charge that kind of money for them? Christ, man. 25 doesn't even split up evenly into 4. I know anime stuff is expensive, but that just seems like overkill. Even Final Act is only split up into 2 volumes.

Why do you think I entered the contest lol that blu ray price is insane. For $40-60+ I better get the entire series of 26ish episodes

When I get home MCXC I'll read all this big o analysis and see how much more it breaks my mind. Glad to have you break it down the last few episodes allowed me to knock off "experience an acid trip" from my bucket list.

No problem, I love doing this type of thing with thought provoking series. I just wish toonami would air more shows with storytelling that is purposely obtuse; it's fun trying to figure them out!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I just noticed that Aniplex is splitting up SAO into 4 bluray volumes. Now I know why the anime industry is dying. How do you split up a 25 episode series into 4 volumes and charge that kind of money for them? Christ, man. 25 doesn't even split up evenly into 4. I know anime stuff is expensive, but that just seems like overkill. Even Final Act is only split up into 2 volumes.

Surely it can't be that bad.
*checks Aniplex's site* $90 DOLLARS?! WHAT?! FOR SEVEN EPISODES?!

How is Aniplex even still in business? For $90 dollars, I should get the entire series, or two seasons of a live-action TV show. God damn...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
FLCL is like that actually. They also aired EVA which tries to be that and Paranoia Agent which is the ultimate example.

so they built a replcia of the one peice ship that you cant eat on!!!

spoilers of of course

http://www.huistenbosch.co.jp/onepiece/

tumblr_mv10nqNmBB1rb1rgoo10_500.jpg

Finished reading your analysis MCXC, I'll admit it makes a lot of sense, I'll have to rewatch the series with that in mind from the beginning during the day before I can really add my two cents on the ending. Big O S2 is 2deep4me at 3:30AM and it probably was part of the reason why I was so darn confused. I'm kind of worried for GitS hopefully it doesn't get too hard to follow lol.

Seda

My issue with GitS in my experience is that there are a number of scenes where the team is sitting around debating/discussing the situation or motive or whatever of the current issue and sometimes it becomes easy for me to 'zone out', especially at 4AM. And then when things are actually happening later it's sometimes hard to know /what/ is happening if I did indeed 'zone out' earlier. Going to make an effort not to do that.

Both seasons used to have their EDs, usually sped up, but [as] eventually cut those off.

2nd GIG does still sometimes have a few random episodes with end credits for some reason, though.

Ah, okay. I hope they're still kept for some though.

Not like it'll make the thing any better, but are there there any extras with the sets?

Finished reading your analysis MCXC, I'll admit it makes a lot of sense, I'll have to rewatch the series with that in mind from the beginning during the day before I can really add my two cents on the ending. Big O S2 is 2deep4me at 3:30AM and it probably was part of the reason why I was so darn confused. I'm kind of worried for GitS hopefully it doesn't get too hard to follow lol.
Thanks, feel free to use it as a guideline in the future. I'm thinking about going through and writing an in-depth analysis about every single episode but that might take a while.

Can't wait for GiTS next week, I've never seen it before other than a random episode here and there.

Thanks, feel free to use it as a guideline in the future. I'm thinking about going through and writing an in-depth analysis about every single episode but that might take a while.

Can't wait for GiTS next week, I've never seen it before other than a random episode here and there.

I probably won't rewatch Big O until they rerelease it next year thanks to the rights being rescued. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we see all of S1 and S2 sometime next year on Toonami.

I've seen the first 5/6 episodes of GitS and really enjoyed it, looking forward to seeing the whole thing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm honestly shocked at how many people are coming out of the woodwork here never having seen GitS:SAC.

Seda at least has a decent excuse.

It's on my Mount Rushmore of anime along with FLCL and Cowboy Bebop.

I'm honestly shocked at how many people are coming out of the woodwork here never having seen GitS:SAC.

I haven't seen FLCL either lol, but I own both of them, I've just never gotten around to watching it.

Jintor

I first watched FLCL crouched over a tiny laptop in a dark garage while stuffing envelopes for my shitty part-time job

it was awesome

RedBoot

Holy shit I think I made this gif like ten years ago. :)

But yeah, good summary. I've always tried to figure out if it went like this, or down the TV show angle. Haven't really figured it out either way, but I think I would have preferred the show to stay as Anime Batman. Still fun though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
GitS:SAC is a great cyberpunk procedural sometimes dragged down by some heavy philosophy major on a coke bender discussions. Also Tachikoma gifs and a whose who of anime dub actors who have done cutesy girl voices.

FLCL is, well... FLCL. Watch it. Record it and watch it again. It's hard to digest in one viewing.

Seda

What's my decent excuse? That I haven't seen much of anything? lol

Holy shit I think I made this gif like ten years ago. :)

But yeah, good summary. I've always tried to figure out if it went like this, or down the TV show angle. Haven't really figured it out either way, but I think I would have preferred the show to stay as Anime Batman. Still fun though.
You made that gif!? Awesome, it's amazing.

While I enjoyed season 1 which followed a monster of the week/Batman formula of self contained stories; season 2 felt like a much more cohesive experience with the overarching plot. It was easier for me to stay hooked as a viewer trying to follow the bread crumbs laid out.

While I enjoyed season 1 which followed a monster of the week/Batman formula of self contained stories; season 2 felt like a much more cohesive experience with the overarching plot. It was easier for me to stay hooked as a viewer trying to follow the bread crumbs laid out.

Honestly I wish the show had either been all monster of the week with little bits of story littered though out OR been overarching plot focused the whole way though instead of switching at the half way mark.

RedBoot

Yeah, it's the one I made. Even reminded me that I should have gotten a better in-between frame for Beck's shoes. Nice to see I've given something back to the Internets.

I liked the monster of the week stuff, but I also loved the growing backstory as well, so I'm not opposed to the more serial nature Season 2 took. I think, since I watched the original run of Season 1 on Toonami and had to wait years until Season 2 was produced, that I kind of came to my own conclusions about how the show would turn out (I figured Angel would pilot Big Duo, based on how episode 12 ends). So some of Season 2's unusual turns soured me, I guess. Still a good season, and it still has some good stand alone eps (The Greatest Villain is probably my favorite ep of the entire show).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
My issue with GitS in my experience is that there are a number of scenes where the team is sitting around debating/discussing the situation or motive or whatever of the current issue and sometimes it becomes easy for me to 'zone out', especially at 4AM. And then when things are actually happening later it's sometimes hard to know /what/ is happening if I did indeed 'zone out' earlier. Going to make an effort not to do that.
This was my experience back in high school. It was hard for me to care about what was happening since it was mainly just explaining what was going on, especially at night when I was tired from staying up & watching other shows.

bigkrev

The past few years, Funimation has mastered the way to distribute anime without it feeling like rape.

When FMA Brotherhood was new, it was 13 episodes on 2 blurays for 35 bucks. A year later, they put it out again, 4 Blurays holding 32 episodes, for 60 bucks. Now, you can get them on Amazon for 35-40 bucks, making it a total of 70ish dollars for all 64 episodes.

30-40 dollars is the perfect price for 13 episodes- it's the same price you would pay if you bought all the episodes a la carte on iTunes or Amazon, but you are getting extras, language options, and packaging. Charging any more is just an attempt to grab money from sad sacks willing to pay it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Yall think SAO's prices are outrageous? LOL. I have the import version of the Fate/Zero boxsets. Fuck you Aniplex!!!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It was basically a comedy OVA collection with the cast of Fate/Stay Night and Type Moon's other work, Tsukihime. Such episodes include a game show, Berserker finding a new battery, Shiki & Shirou trying to figure out if they should date the main girl or go the harem date route, and my favorite, a grand prix featuring a berser-car.

I remember watching AMV from hell 6 and seeing a clip of that guy SS spoilers
demise
looking motherfucker and gonig like wat, and then saw a part of that opening with him wearing a native american headdress and noticed the girl from fate/night/zero in it.

I seem to remember watching FLCL when it first aired on AS, and it had the ending (I think with the Japanese text, which surprised me). That could've been cut in re-airings, I dunno.

I think the complete lack of an open might help keep the ending intact, but who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom