• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT7| I Don't Believe It

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanji-beatdown-o.gif

DY3GVGt.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even know how people recognize 4Kids Sanji as having a "Brooklyn" accent. He just sounded like Meat with a sinus infection.

Raxus

Blonde chef with Brooklyn accent who loves lollipops seems 4kids genuine.

They got away with it in Yugioh with 'Joey'. Why not Sanji?

What I would have given to be a fly on the wall when 4kids got to the Nami backstory and the Crocodile fight. They had to have been racking their brains thinking 'how in the hell are we going to air this?!?'

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

What I would have given to be a fly on the wall when 4kids got to the Nami backstory and the Crocodile fight. They had to have been racking their brains thinking 'how in the hell are we going to air this?!?'

I can imagine that when they got to Skypiea, they threw up their hands and said "Fuck it, we can't do this anymore".

I love when edits create plotholes.

Joey 4kids (can't find a better video that isn't a full episode)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAFrQ0OrDAU

Compare that to Sanji, Joey sounds like he's taking the role seriously, Sanji doesn't

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Apparently in germany that censored sasuke's backstory that created a black hole of a plothole in naruto.

BatDan

That's like censoring Mufasa or Thomas and Martha Wayne's deaths. -___-

See, this is what I don't about 4Kids or kid's shows in general. Children have seen stories with death all the time. Bruce Wayne's parents were murdered in front of him, Kal El's entire planet blew up, killing everyone on it, Mufasa died and Simba believed he caused it, Uncle Ben died and Peter Parker believed he was responsible.

So really, I don't see why censoring a character's death would help anything.

BatDan

Here's something interesting. Sean Schemmel is going to be in One Piece: Strong World. He was also in the 4Kids dub as Helmeppo, Kuroobi and Hatchan. Making him the only actor that's worked in both the 4Kids and Funimation dubs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pokémon and Yu-gi-oh were well dubbed by 4 Kids. Everything else ranges from mediocre to god awful. Zolo's voice is pretty good, everyone else is some form of awful.

Raxus

I disagree. The editing 4kids did butchered even tame shows like Yugioh. Pokemon got some strange edits too but it wasn't nearly as bad thanks to it being aimed at kids in the first place. Only a couple episodes got cut and it didn't create huge holes in continuity besides the Tauros thing.

For the most part the voice actors tried in Yugioh and Pokemon at least so that was a plus.

Aside from Zoro the One Piece VA was atrocious. Screw Sanji, they really really really fucked up Usopp.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Well dubbed but in the case of Yu-Gi-Oh, not necessarily well localized. I did watch the original series awhile ago on Hulu and it wasn't that bad.

Pokémon is by and large well localized too with the occasional rice ball donutization of something obviously Japanese. It's easily the best dub 4 kids ever did.

Also whomever said that the anime was G rated compared to the Fairy Tail manga was right on the money. I read the most recent chapter of it on a whim and jeebers.

I still think it would be funny if they got David Moo to voice a certain Sanji-related character later on:
Duval

I'm not too surprised seeing people were wary over the changed voices in One Piece. I remember hanging out with some of my brother's friends. It was at the very end of the 4Kids run and they genuinely liked the show. When they saw the new Funi episodes they were like "Argh I can't stand the new voices!" I tried to explain just how much better the show would be overall and they just shook their heads and went "Yeah but.. the voices, hearing the new ones are just so strange. I just don't think I can enjoy the show anymore." Deep down I'm thinking "ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME!?!"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Took me awhile to adjust (even longer for me to not say/type Zolo as I kinda think its a cooler name) but man I'm glad I did.

Here's something interesting. Sean Schemmel is going to be in One Piece: Strong World. He was also in the 4Kids dub as Helmeppo, Kuroobi and Hatchan. Making him the only actor that's worked in both the 4Kids and Funimation dubs.

i thought it'd be kinda funny if Funimation went out and got the 4Kids actors for (much later in One Piece spoiler)
the fake Straw Hats

BassForever said:
Honestly 4kids Usopp wasn't that bad, but then again he's the worst character in the show so him sounding like a clown is appropriate

supernatural-mouths-open.gif

bigkrev

Man, i'm kinda sad I was way too old to watch Saturday Morning cartoons when One Piece was airing. It seems special.

Kagome's new VA.....eh

To be honest, if I didn't know it was different, I wouldn't realize it. Sounds fine. I should probably watch this at some point, If it was put out by Funi instead of Viz, i'd bank on a Blu-Ray box set for 40 would be out this fall, but tragically, Viz isn't that great at budget releases :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom