• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT9| This thread is made of LOVE and PEACE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still, it wasn't nearly as well done as
almost every other death in the series that comes after
Kishimoto was still new to the game. And besides, he ain't no Oda. In fact, every mangaka should take sad death lessons from him. Well, maybe not every mangaka. I don't think my poor heart would be able to take Oda-level sadness in every series.

Kishimoto was still new to the game. And besides, he ain't no Oda. In fact, every mangaka should take sad death lessons from him. Well, maybe not every mangaka. I don't think my poor heart would be able to take Oda-level sadness in every series.

but if people took death lessons from Oda, almost no one would die :p

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Kishi
usually manages to make a death hit home very well, when he doesn't it's a little shocking
. It's one of the few things he's really good at.

but if people took death lessons from Oda, almost no one would die :p
Someone with a hat as cool as Sabo's could never truly die.
(Late One Piece spoilers.)

Kishi
usually manages to make a death hit home very well, when he doesn't it's a little shocking
. It's one of the few things he's really good at.
True enough.

Well in the manga he gets trolled so much
Rumiko basically wrote Koga out of the story
YES!!!!!

Final Act changed this however.
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Oda? the guy who killed everyone in the skypeia arc and then said loljk at the end of it?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The very same guy who made me care about a crazy old loon doctor and a ship.

I could feel the empathy over them losing the ship, although I didnt feel that sad about it, but I couldnt take when the boat magically appears again at the end of CP9 arc to rescue them seriously, that was straight up deus ex machina

I think Naruto would look pretty boss in Lee's outfit

And Tsunade...I wouldn't mind playing strip poker with her. Money would be on the line too of course *rubs hands together*

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I could feel the empathy over them losing the ship, although I didnt feel that sad about it, but I couldnt take when the boat magically appears again at the end of CP9 arc to rescue them seriously, that was straight up deus ex machina

That never stopped anyone from crying manly tears

Don't open this spoiler unless your caught up with OP
Ace's death will forever be the saddest part of OP. Luffy didn't explode in anger. He just...sobbed...and sobbed. GODDAMMIT! :'(

Crocodile

Hey kayos, is there any chance we can get Darker than Black swapped out for Jojo's in tonight's pre-watch block?

Akira was amazing
Summer Wars was awful

1368215696954.jpg

Welcome back though :p

hold on now, Tsuande. No need to be concerned that you got 3-7s on the slots

Orochimaru is a good luck charm?

edit: okay, I guess she was right about it being a bad premonition.
congrats on ruining a nice castle, Orochimaru :p

edit 2: So a strong woman who punches a wall fucking hard enough to break it into pieces must mean she's definitely single. Nice logic there, Kabuto. And Orochimaru really knows how to sweeten a deal (and at least he's honest with his intentions)

Except that moment was clearly foreshadowed and explained 3 arcs earlier. We see
the soul of the merry fix herself in skypiea, then franky explains it's possibly due to the power of klabatterman
. It's not dues ex as it's not an out of nowhere plot point simply used for convenience to get the story out of a corner. The only way it's at all considered dues ex machina is in the most literal terms of
a machine gaining a soul
but that's not how 99% of people use it today. If there was a time it was deus ex machina it would have been at skypiea, not the upcoming arc and it was more convenient there then an actual element needed to solve an unsolvable problem.

Dedined: a person or thing (as in fiction or drama) that appears or is introduced suddenly and unexpectedly and provides a contrived solution to an apparently insoluble difficulty

For some real exampes of dues ex machina

Trunks showing up to beat mecha freeza and king cold is deus ex (goku also says he had learned off camera the ability to instant warp lol in case trunks didn't show up)

Pokemon crying to revive ash at the end of the first pokemon movie is deus ex

Tai and Matt entering the internet at the end of the Digimon movie to help their megas digivolve is deus ex

Except that moment was clearly foreshadowed and explained 3 arcs earlier. We see
the soul of the merry fix herself in skypiea, then franky explains it's possibly due to the power of klabatterman
. It's not dues ex as it's not an out of nowhere plot point simply used for convenience to get the story out of a corner. The only way it's at all considered dues ex machina is in the most literal terms of
a machine gaining a soul
but that's not how 99% of people use it today. If there was a time it was deus ex machina it would have been at skypiea, not the upcoming arc and it was more convenient there then an actual element needed to solve an unsolvable problem.

i wouldn't call it deus ex machina, but it was kinda silly.

And you called me heartless

Smh

meh.
there's a lot of stuff i'll accept in One Piece, but the ship gaining some level of sentience because they loved it so much crosses the line a bit. i don't think it worked in Skypiea, and i don't think it works in Enies Lobby. i know it's based on some old sailor legend or something, but it just doesn't make sense that they're able to manifest this Klabautermann thing and then it actively gets them out of a jam. i'd be ok with it just holding the ship together for as long as it did, but fixing the ship and actually sailing the ship is too far. it's not rage-inducing or anything and i think the reason i don't go out of my way to say "HOLY SHIT THIS SUCKS" when it happens in Enies Lobby is because it manages to transition into a pretty good scene that creates a decent amount of emotion. but if Oda wanted to push this as being plausible, more time needed to be spent with it or it needed to be portrayed differently. it feels very much like deus ex machina even if it is foreshadowed within the show, so i see where foxuzamaki is coming from.

You're still a ways away from the filler. And before you even get to the filler you're gonna see some of most badass fights in the show.
Without going into detail, does Shippuden match the highs of original Naruto? Because this show is freaking awesome right now. I see why you and fox are such big fans.

TheChits

For as much as I hate the direction shippuden went, it does have what is probably my favorite arc in the entire series
(Hidan and Kakuzu arc)
as well as some dope fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom