• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep15| You got the edge! You got the power!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad week.

My favorite AgK character so far bites it and I'm that much closer to not being able to look forward to laughing at SAO and SAO reactions each week for a long while.

So, for everyone who is super down on the AgK dub (I must have low standards because I don't really care too much),

If you could recast the characters using the Aniplex US voice pool (KLK, SAO, Blue Exorcist voice casts), who would you pick?

Line_HTX

Erica Mendez (Ryuko, Yuuki) as Akame.

Make Bryce be Tatsumi.

Christine Cabanos (Mako Mankanshoku, Silica, Shiemi Moriyama) as Mine.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What if this is secretly a new origin story for Wonder Woman and HATCHIN IS ACTUALLY WONDER WOMAN AS A CHILD?!?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, for everyone who is super down on the AgK dub (I must have low standards because I don't really care too much),

If you could recast the characters using the Aniplex US voice pool (KLK, SAO, Blue Exorcist voice casts), who would you pick?

I don't mind the dub or even the writing that much either, TBH. Anime gets a bit stale when you can predict the VA, Characterization, word bank, swear style, gasp tone, and agonized sounds instantly as soon as you hear the fits sound from the VA.

I can understand how it can be weird if you've heard the JP cast, though. I still don't think English Franky and JP version come off as even the same CHARACTER to me on One Piece, but I think the Eng fits better, because the JP one sounds like Buggy too often. Yet still, I think the JP one is a more varied, unique take on the visualization...

Considering how much Aniplex pool the block has / had, so glad it's not their VAs. Too many Papenbrook characters on the block that act and say similar things, it almost feels more like he's a guest start crossing between shows...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The big disconnect with Japanese Franky is sounding like Mr. 2...for some odd reason. Both work, but US Franky hits the characterization better while Japanese Franky works better with some of the catchphrases, mainly Super.

LOLDSFAN

Sup bitches

QkE73Q2.gif

Hey.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The big disconnect with Japanese Franky is sounding like Mr. 2...for some odd reason. Both work, but US Franky hits the characterization better while Japanese Franky works better with some of the catchphrases, mainly Super.

He sounds like Mr. 2 and Buggy to me, especially in the games. I find myself thinking of Chop-Chop stuff when listening to his foley, and that somehow odds me out more.

OP is such an odd voice cast in general I guess. I like how mature and significant Robin sounds in JP. but she also gives me the feel that she's kinda too refined and important for the show (if that makes sense for one of the biggest Animanga ever.) The US Robin I like the sound of more for her age and personality, but she's not as distinctive and ear-catching.

I do have to say, I love the idea of getting to feel multiple characterizations of a single individual, in somewhat of a Meta way? Much like I enjoy the various series of Tenchi, because the different versions of the same character makes the show's cast feel like Actors sometimes, rather than just characters.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I remember that Senzu Beans weren't as overpowered when they were first introduced. I think they were meant to be a food substitute (one would fill you up for an entire day) but then they became magical all-healing beans.
Maybe I'm thinking wrong.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Beans, beans, the machina fruit, the more you eat, the more you somehow magically recover in order to have the energy to suddenly defeat the villain.

& crap, stereo system remote really seemed to have stopped working despite trying 2 sets of batteries. Found the system at a garage sale about over a year ago (it's so old, it plays cassette tapes, & the CD player won't read discs), so I wonder if instead of spending $25+ on a remote for something that's fairly outdated, I should look for something a bit more new. It's worked rather nicely for my TV considering I have about 6 stereos (granted, a bit small, as 4 of them are 7" tall, then 2 are 10" tall), so at the very least, those don't need to really be replaced.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
One Piece - Confusing but interesting. As someone who's seen very little One Piece White Beard and Red Hair's conversation left me bewildered. Maybe MetatronM could give a little backstory on these two. It's obvious they are both very important people in this world but I was left just scratching my head while they talked. Meanwhile, I liked that everyone is now joining Franky to build the Straw Hat's boat. I'll be happy once they finally leave Water 7 for new adventures but it looks like we'll be here a bit longer. Rating: Pass the sake

I actually did sort of cover this a little bit last night:
Alright, some real ass info that some of you folks who missed the first 200 episodes will need to know for the remainder of the episode.

I'll spoiler this just in case you don't want to know it, though it's all past info:

Ace, you know, Luffy's brother? He's out hunting down a pirate named Blackbeard, a.k.a. Marshall D. Teach. He was originally Ace's subordinate in the 2nd Division of the Whitebeard Pirates before he killed a man and went rogue. Since then he went on a rampage on Drum Island (causing the king Wapol to flee the country) and eventually turned up on Jaya where he met Straw Hat Luffy and attempted to capture him for his big fat bounty. Since then we haven't really seen him. Or Ace, for that matter.
Some other things of note:

1) Whitebeard was also introduced to the series during the Jaya Arc, though he had been mentioned previously by Ace during the Arabasta Arc as his captain and the man that Ace intends to make Pirate King, even at Luffy's expense.

2) When you consider that Gold Roger was executed 22 years ago, that should give you some context for how long Shanks and Whitebeard have known each other. It should also give you some context for where Luffy's backstory involving Shanks comes into play, as that was only 10 years ago, meaning Shanks had already been a real big shot pirate for many years before Luffy ever met him. Which is also why Whitebeard says it was surprising that Shanks came back short an arm.

3) Buggy, who I think we've only seen in the feudal era Grand Jipang filler episodes since Toonami restarted the series, was also Shanks' partner on Gold Roger's ship, making it somewhat surprising that he appeared to be kind of a small fry when Luffy first encountered him waaaaaaaay back at the start of the series in East Blue.

4) You can see the quote above for some info on Blackbeard, but the most important thing is that Shanks seems to think it would be dangerous for Ace if he actually did manage to track Blackbeard down. It implies that he maybe knows something that we currently don't. Currently, Blackbeard has a small crew of 5, much like the Straw Hats, and the last time we saw him, a member of his crew was petitioning the World Government to have them give Blackbeard the place among the Seven Warlords that used to be occupied by Crocodile before Luffy took him down. The World Government was skeptical about making Blackbeard a Warlord as nobody really knew who he was. The Government sees the Warlords as mainly a deterrent to keep other pirates from operating in the Grand Line, so having an unknown that nobody is afraid of doesn't really serve much purpose. Blackbeard's men, however, told them that soon Blackbeard would deliver the proof that he was worthy of a place among the Warlords. Since then there has been no update on the status of that vacancy in the Warlords.

5) Continuing along those same lines, Blackbeard appeared before Luffy during the Jaya Arc with the intention of taking Luffy's head to cash in his brand new 100 million berry bounty (which he earned by deposing the former Warlord Crocodile). Luffy was now a famous enough target at that point that Blackbeard figured that if he could take him down then the Government would be willing to let him into the Warlords in addition to paying out his bounty. Luffy was only saved by the Knock Up Stream sending the Going Merry into the sky just as the Blackbeard Pirates attempted to confront them. Presumably Blackbeard would still be after Luffy, though Luffy hasn't done anything flashy to make his location known since going into the sky. Well, until he rampaged all over Enies Lobby, anyway.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One slight correction, the reason why Blackbeard was late in catching Luffy was that his new bounty from Alabasta hadn't arrived at Jaya yet. He chases him on his bad ass raft but the Going Merry is launched into Skypiea by the Knock Up Stream.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
One slight correction, the reason why Blackbeard was late in catching Luffy was that his new bounty from Alabasta hadn't arrived at Jaya yet. He chases him on his bad ass raft but the Going Merry is launched into Skypiea by the Knock Up Stream.

Right, he wasn't originally after him until the news of his new bounty arrived, at which point it was basically "well, this will do."

Moaradin

I want to watch early One Piece again one of these days. It's such a blur to me, but it sets up so much stuff that happens later on.

Seda

The most impressive thing about One Piece is how cohesive the early episodes still are in the big picture. Of course I'm talking from the perspective of somebody only at the current English airing..

DBZ is wildly inconsistent in comparison.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It still hasn't let up ~400 episodes later. Something referenced a few weeks ago on TOONAMI just came up in the manga, for example.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
He hasn't been mentioned by name yet, but yes, Garp did make an overall reference to the Emperors.

Talking specifically about the picture they showed. It's a minor thing compared to some of the truly epic callbacks, like the one in the next canon arc to air on TOONAMI.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Reactions to the last AkG episode was almost one for the record books, mainly the first half. I was laughing so much, & I think the dub helped make the episode more hilarious.

Yeah, the attention to detail of One Piece is insane. Where you can easily tell that most long running shonen just make it up as it goes, Oda clearly had/has a plan going in.

LaFarebear, I'm so sorry about the game. Also, I feel guilty about laughing really hard. All I could think was someone is facedesking.

I got way more emotional about that game than I did during AgK. I still feel like shit, but I'm getting over it.

TDR took it pretty hard though and Chris was probably more upset about Romo :p

Line_HTX

I bailed before half, then tuned back in at the end for the stupidest 4th Down pass ever. I hate Cam.

I'll have to catch up on Akame since I heard that there were lots of derpy faces made. Got two fairly big posts to make later.

Asuna's mom should join the Kirito gang in game. Heh heh heh

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 142

You may or may not have noticed that these reviews have gotten a lot shorter since the beginning of the season and there is a reason for that, nothing is fucking happening. I mean, all season get into the rut of the monster of the week formula, that was just the business of day but even for this show, jack shit is happening. This arc always had problems even in the manga, regressing things and trying to the children fairy tale gimmick was ill advised both in the manga and here in the anime. The dream motif is very much alive here in the anime as it was in the manga, it is just here we are getting a lot of generic desires by generic victims that is amounting to so much white noise. Also, good god Usagi has just been intolerable this season having regressed into a girlfriend so clingy and jealous that were they not a fated couple, Mamrou would probably break things off just to get away from this nonsense.ChibiUsa on the other hand, had actually gotten pretty tolerable, about as tolerable as she is ever going to get. Mild recommendation to whatever we need some changes to the landscape and quick.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 143

Holy fuck was this episode annoying and it can be summed up in two words, idiot plot. This episode only works at all because somehow Chibiusa is somehow the smartest and most mature character on this program. That is an avalanche of wrongness and the episode seems to be self-aware at some of the problems this is causing point out how most of the Sailor Guardians lack boyfriends and are pretty much a shitty resource for romance. No idea why they lack dates, this has seriously been a curiously of the franchise. Anyway, Chibiusa gets a an offer for a date with the bastard spawn of Captain Tusbasa which in turns makes Fish Eye so creepy even his teammates are creeped out by him and his pedophile ways. Oh right, there is also a mostly pointless B plot about FIsh Eye framing Pegasus with a monster that only serves to throw in a cheap trust exercise. The upshot of everything is the Sailor Guardians finally get an upgrade but no new powers shown this episode. This is something the manga handled so much better as the best part of Dreams was the individual focus each Guardian got on the way to her upgrade. All and all strong recommendation to avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom