• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep15| You got the edge! You got the power!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The Attack on Titan live action movie sounds bonkers

http://kotaku.com/the-second-attack-on-titan-movie-also-sucks-1732027775

Would probably be less boring then the original series then.
Ahhh, screw it, guess I'll check out the live-action films. Not like it's gonna cost me any money anyways. Still confuses me why my theater would show those, but not either DBZ films because "they wouldn't make enough money to warrant showing them" from what my friend said.

Also Funimation having a sale on their shop. S1 of Space Dandy is $30 ($35 for that "limited edition" with the different box art & space for S2), or $80 for that bundle with the trucker hat, calendar, pennant, etc. Or the complete Cowboy Bebop on Blu-Ray for $30.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
JGjDhaj.gif

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bah, it's not as good as I hoped, but I have prepared something for Parasyte.

Also, my understand is that the live-action AoT films will be subtitled & not dubbed? I know when the Death Note films were released here in theaters, it was dubbed with the same cast as the anime, so I kind of figured Funimation might've done the same.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
dubbed video games and anime are one thing, dubbed live action is noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Exactly this.
With anime and video games, you have lip flaps that you can easily write around. In games you can even change the lip flaps to match the different language (they do that now right? I haven't really paid attention)
Live action dubs are terrible to look out. You have the actors giving their all and the voice often gets it wrong. I remember when Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger got released here, people were asking for an English dub. I just shook my head.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh yeah, I totally understand, considering you can't disguise the fact it's CLEARLY not what they're saying/the fact the mouths don't match the words are awkward. But I figured dubbed = more people will see it, since some people are all "EEWWW, READING DURING A MOVIE?! IF I WANTED TO READ, I'LL READ A BOOK".

Edit: Movies are pretty much the one form of media I will ALWAYS prefer subbed if it's foreign because what you hear & what you see the mouth forming will feel off when dubbed. Though if it's something like Godzilla's Revenge, it makes for a hilarious watch considering the voices they got to dub are horrible & don't know how to act.

Levyne

Banned
dubbed video games and anime are one thing, dubbed live action is noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

agreed, the actors on screen need to provide their voice unless they are completely masked, a dub just ruins everything in live action

Soulflarz

Banned

Yep. I don't care if you argue dubs or subs in anime or stuff...but uh, please only subbed for live action :x

Exactly this.
With anime and video games, you have lip flaps that you can easily write around. In games you can even change the lip flaps to match the different language (they do that now right? I haven't really paid attention)

Square does with FF? Er, FF13?

Do...other companies?

The Attack on Titan live action movie sounds bonkers

http://kotaku.com/the-second-attack-on-titan-movie-also-sucks-1732027775

Would probably be less boring then the original series then.

Speaking of the live action version, today on Japanese morning news they did a behind the scenes of this terrible movie (and an interview with two middle school girls who loved it apparently) turns out the scenes with the Colossal titan were a human sized puppet and like 4 people wearing blue suits in front of blue screen controling it. Had no idea. For all the problems the movies have this part was actually cool looking, then again it did not involve the actors or plot lol.

Line_HTX

Hmm, does this mean there's no more Tuesday afternoon episodes?

LICH KING DEMARCO ‏@Clarknova1 48m48 minutes ago

Me I'm just refreshing my memory about Voltron, so I can talk about it on Pre-Flight this Friday (btw, new Pre-Flight eps are now Fri @ 5).

Hmm, does this mean there's no more Tuesday afternoon episodes?

LICH KING DEMARCO ‏@Clarknova1 48m48 minutes ago

Me I'm just refreshing my memory about Voltron, so I can talk about it on Pre-Flight this Friday (btw, new Pre-Flight eps are now Fri @ 5).

Makes more sense to have the new preflight kick off the weekend where saturday is catch up/fresh on last week and sunday is rewatch if you missed

ckohler

Makes more sense to have the new preflight kick off the weekend where saturday is catch up/fresh on last week and sunday is rewatch if you missed

I totally agree. Tuesday was so random but Friday is the day before Toonami airs. It also means any sneek peeks are only available for a day.

ckohler

Yes, it says so on the homepage. By the way, the new Adult Swim homepage is a massive improvement over the previous crap they had.

Man Blue Exorcist gets way better both its major story arcs have been stellar, of course neither was in the anime because they rushed it into production for some reason -.-

Maybe top three Shippuden episodes.

If we include OG Naruto, probably lower top 10.

In terms of story sure, in terms of directing and acting, its for sure top 5 of what I've seen

Keeping in mind that I haven't actually seen the whole Naruto vs. Sasuke at the end thing because I kinda burnt out on marathoning at that point, I'd say up to this point it's between this episode and the episode where Zabuza dies. Which are coincidentally directed by the same guy apparently. It gets there almost on the strength of its production values alone, which somehow single-handedly gives way more character to the Leaf Village and people like Choji's parents or Shikamaru's dad than we've ever seen before. Writing-wise I still think it's a very strong look at grief that definitely places it in the upper echelon of Naruto episodes.

Seda

Toonami is currently on a streak of ten weeks of at least 3 million+ rated shows. 22 weeks for 2 million+ rated shows. (not counting marathons)

Previous high for three million+ was six weeks (March-April) 2014

Previous high for two million+ was 14 (Space Dandy season 1 basically)

Don't suppose we're ever going to get the time at the end of the block back? The excuse of "ratings!" obviously isn't valid and there are a ton of perfectly good series in the library they could run, including several big shows that only ever got a one-time run through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom