• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep15| You got the edge! You got the power!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The most impressive thing about One Piece is how cohesive the early episodes still are in the big picture. Of course I'm talking from the perspective of somebody only at the current English airing..

DBZ is wildly inconsistent in comparison.

It still mostly holds together. What relatively few "retcons" have been made compared to the early stuff mainly make sense (I would say there's really only one big piece of information that you would probably think would have somehow been mentioned earlier in the series that is introduced pretty far in, but even that Oda provides some explanations/excuses for), and the few things that are seemingly inconsistent are easily handwaved away because Oda wisely used unreliable witnesses to present important information early on in the series. Most information you hear about places and things that won't actually be dealt with for hundreds of episodes usually initially comes from someone who heard from another guy who once heard stories about said thing. It's rare you actually get a direct and reliable source, and even when you do, they tend to go the Obi-wan route: "from a certain point of view."

For example, the Grand Line is presented early on as practically being a ship graveyard, a place of almost certain death for any but the strongest of pirates, and is totally inhospitable. Turns out that, while harsh and wildly unpredictable and full of powerful foes, the Grand Line is also hugely populated, the center of military control in the world, and home to many of the greatest nations on the planet. This seems wildly inconsistent until you consider who exactly was telling those stories early on in the series: failed pirates and adventurers. They have their dreams of crossing the Grand Line dashed for one reason or another, and if they're somehow lucky enough to somehow turn back and escape the Grand Line, of course they're going to tell stories of horror. The pirates who actually have success in the Grand Line would rarely be coming back to those weaker and less lucrative seas, so the horror stories would naturally vastly outnumber the tales of glory.

Note that Luffy is inspired to head out to the Grand Line because he actually did meet one of the few successful pirates to actually come back and tell exciting inspirational stories about the Grand Line.

10/03 TOONAMI LINE-UP CHANGE
12:00AM - DBZ Kai
12:30AM - Akame Ga Kill!
1:00AM - Parasyte –The Maxim
1:30AM - Michiko & Hatchin
2:00AM – Naruto:Shippuden
2:30AM – One Piece
3:00AM – Kill la Kill

Wonder how M&H will do a half-hour later.

Ugh, the stretch from 12:30 to 1:30 is gonna be rough.

I imagine the transition between the two is gonna be rough as well, as Parasyte's plot doesn't exactly move at even a tepid speed like Akame Ga Kill's does.

Raxus

Two Sentai dubs...

in a row...

giphy.gif

Seda

I played Natural Doctrine (a niche PlayStation SRPG from NISA) when it released last year, and it was weird hearing Sean Schemmel in the English dub.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I played Natural Doctrine (a niche PlayStation SRPG from NISA) when it released last year, and it was weird hearing Sean Schemmel in the English dub.

Pretty much the only other thing he does these days besides DBZ is...Pokémon. It can be a laugh riot when he shows up on there.

Seda

why would you stick your head in a safe like that couldnt she see the contents of it well enough from like a foot in front of it

The Attack on Titan live action movie sounds bonkers

Eren wakes up in a futuristic white room with a Wurlitzer Jukebox, playing the Skeeter Davis song, “The End of the World.” Subtle! The scene is actually interestingly done, if I hadn’t spent a few moments wondering if I had actually dozed off to sleep and woken up in another movie. Which isn’t a bad thing. At this point, I was hoping that would happen.

Here, Eren is greeted by Shikishima, one of the movie’s new characters, who carries a bottle of champagne, flips on an Apple TV remote, and shows Eren how the U.S. Government created the Titans. Oh, did I mention that both characters suddenly change into white linen shirts and slacks and are sitting on sun chairs in a sand covered room? They are.

Seeing how the filmmakers kept screwing up regular Attack on Titan, I was all ready for a detour into bizarro Attack on Titan. But, like that, we returned to the movie’s familiar awfulness.

http://kotaku.com/the-second-attack-on-titan-movie-also-sucks-1732027775

Would probably be less boring then the original series then.

Raxus

AgK I can take having a bad dub but I actually kind of like Parasyte and I fear EVERYONE is going to hate it thanks to the dub. It will (likely) botch the strong parts of the story and make the weaker parts REALLY unbearable to get through.

AgK I can take having a bad dub but I actually kind of like Parasyte and I fear EVERYONE is going to hate it thanks to the dub. It will (likely) botch the strong parts of the story and make the weaker parts REALLY unbearable to get through.

Are you really Mr Raxus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom