• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep15| You got the edge! You got the power!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't suppose we're ever going to get the time at the end of the block back? The excuse of "ratings!" obviously isn't valid and there are a ton of perfectly good series in the library they could run, including several big shows that only ever got a one-time run through.

It also cost money to air those on TV, it's one thing to pay a bit extra to rerun KLK or AoT at the end of the night shows that are still fairly new and people may have missed episodes when it originally aired or jumped in late and wanted to see the first half.

Don't suppose we're ever going to get the time at the end of the block back? The excuse of "ratings!" obviously isn't valid and there are a ton of perfectly good series in the library they could run, including several big shows that only ever got a one-time run through.

It's still a pretty good excuse still because good ratings in the front of the block doesn't necessarily mean that'll carry over to the ancient reruns at the end of the block

Seda

Obviously isn't valid? This week's 4am and 5am hour got 700k+ in total viewer ratings for example. I dont think that ever happened with Toonami shows in those slots (Inuyasha hour was the closest). They lost access to lots of shows that could be slotted into the rear half. Inuyasha, Fullmetal Alchemist, Symbiotic Titan, among other older CN shows like Star Wars, Batman and Thundercats. The "free" shows they had left (like GitS) had been rerun plenty and paying for rights to rerun multiple things like Kill la Kill/Gurren Lagann/etc is not going to be as stable (or as cheap, probably) as old McFarland cartoons and King of the Hill.

One rerun slot is much more feasible financially (and much less a headache to keep track of).

Obviously isn't valid? This week's 4am and 5am hour got 700k+ in total viewer ratings for example. I dont think that ever happened with Toonami shows in those slots (Inuyasha hour was the closest). They lost access to lots of shows that could be slotted into the rear half. Inuyasha, Fullmetal Alchemist, Symbiotic Titan, among other older CN shows like Star Wars, Batman and Thundercats. The "free" shows they had left (like GitS) had been rerun plenty and paying for rights to rerun multiple things like Kill la Kill/Gurren Lagann/etc is not going to be as stable (or as cheap, probably) as old McFarland cartoons and King of the Hill.

One rerun slot is much more feasible financially (and much less a headache to keep track of).
Okay, so "obviously" wasn't the best word. I also didn't appreciate that they lost the rights to so many things. I'm just curious to see how a full Toonami block would fare versus the endless McFarland reruns now. Presumably there was a trigger that cut off the last few hours so what would it take to un-trigger it? I've been following the anime block for over a decade now and it still doesn't feel right to not have anything on late late.

Grexeno

Okay, so "obviously" wasn't the best word. I also didn't appreciate that they lost the rights to so many things. I'm just curious to see how a full Toonami block would fare versus the endless McFarland reruns now. Presumably there was a trigger that cut off the last few hours so what would it take to un-trigger it? I've been following the anime block for over a decade now and it still doesn't feel right to not have anything on late late.
I assume if the endless McFarland reruns suddenly started doing poorly in ratings Toonami might be called upon to fill some of the void, but it's highly unlikely that will happen.

As someone who read a significant amount of the original manga, and enjoyed it, is this really the only thing people took away from the anime, or is it just the only notable bad line?

Maybe Parasyte is something that just doesn't naturally flow in animated form, or Madhouse fucked up the pacing or something, but that line right there sums up the Parasyte anime pretty well.

Moments that are supposed to be emotional don't just miss their target, they actively annoy the viewer.

Grexeno

Maybe Parasyte is something that just doesn't naturally flow in animated form, or Madhouse fucked up the pacing or something, but that line right there sums up the Parasyte anime pretty well.

Moments that are supposed to be emotional don't just miss their target, they actively annoy the viewer.
Now imagine those moments with a quality English dub by Sentai.

Yikes.

Line_HTX

I haven't seen enough Sentai dubs to generally know how it's like. The only other dub I watched was Ghost Hound, and I thought that dub was pretty OK. AgK though is making it more watchable and unintentionally hilarious. I'm actually sort of looking forward to Parasyte for those moments that are supposed to be serious but instead become hilarious.

Raxus

As someone who read a significant amount of the original manga, and enjoyed it, is this really the only thing people took away from the anime, or is it just the only notable bad line?

I enjoyed it too. I just get a laugh every time it is brought up.

The manga is fantastic btw.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
huSYMN2.gif

Moaradin

It's a dumb line but people make a big deal over it when really it isn't really said THAT much. That character isn't even on screen for a big portion of the anime run time.

Can't imagine how much the dub is gonna butcher any good parts Parasyte does have though.

Moaradin

They wouldn't try. They would just cut it entirely.

The only arcs that would survive are the Hunter Exams, Heaven's Arena, and Greed Island. With all the violent stuff removed of course.

Crocodile

It's a dumb line but people make a big deal over it when really it isn't really said THAT much. That character isn't even on screen for a big portion of the anime run time.

Can't imagine how much the dub is gonna butcher any good parts Parasyte does have though.

The issue is less the actual line (though it DOES get said way too often for its own good) but rather what it represents. The entire middle of arc of the show spends time spinning its wheel and wasting its time hammering on repetitive plot and character development points (for the few characters it bothers to actually develop :p). Its just get repetitious and annoying after a while.

I agree the almost certain to be shitty/mediocre dub won't help things though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom