• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep15| You got the edge! You got the power!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I got an advance on the schedule.

ET16Bta.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't mind season one that much, it makes me chuckle. It's been awhile since it aired too! It is kinda boring in the beginning though. I actually think the Alfheim arc is the most enjoyable part of the series.

I'm still betting on King of the Hill.

The court room one? Is that what you're talking about? Edit: Nailed it.

That was probably because they had gone over budget, and needed to pull it back in. Especially since the finale probably cost more to make than some entire shows get.

Yeah, the courtroom one is a bit dull.

That being said, Dandy being asleep the entire episode was pretty great.

Yeah the courtroom one was kind of lame aside from that baseball scene

There are a few episodes I think are worse, the aliens arguing about underpants and the one with the girl who turned into a big pile of breasts come to mind

The new show is gonna be an exciting new animated work about Pachinko players, and how playing Pachinko isn't for nerds, but for hip young sexy adults.

Produced by Konami, and A1-Pictures.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The new show is gonna be an exciting new animated work about Pachinko players, and how playing Pachinko isn't for nerds, but for hip young sexy adults.

Produced by Konami, and A1-Pictures.

That's just a feint, the truth is they're going to show Haruhi but only the Endless Eight episodes.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Haruhi remake ala HxH 2011, only this time fifty episodes of endless eight.

The greatest trolling.

All jokes aside, I finally got around to reading the 9th and 10th books and I want more. I really want another season, there's more than enough material or at least another book.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I was reading the fanslation for the longest time, knew it got an official release. Got a kindle earlier this year, found out that they have the official release at a reasonable price...and that there hasn't been any books written since the last one I read years ago.

I basically buy one whenever I'm done reading the one before it, but I've been doing it ever so slowly that I'm only now finishing book 2. Meanwhile the last time I read them I think it took me a day and a half to do the entire series.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I was reading the fanslation for the longest time, knew it got an official release. Got a kindle earlier this year, found out that they have the official release at a reasonable price...and that there hasn't been any books written since the last one I read years ago.

I basically buy one whenever I'm done reading the one before it, but I've been doing it ever so slowly that I'm only now finishing book 2. Meanwhile the last time I read them I think it took me a day and a half to do the entire series.

I've been doing the same but I fell off the fan translations at like book 7, so the last three books have been brand new for me. I basically went through them during my last two days off as I wasn't doing anything else. I really want to see what's next.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
At least the first couple of english translations are word for word the same scripts as the fanslator who did them years ago. They did an excellent job and I guess were hired to do the official release.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It still amuses me that every time Bleach has shown up dubbed on a streaming site its always only up to the end of Soul Society. It's like they know that no one wants to watch anything that comes after.

Bring Nisekoi to Toonami

Just kidding

Though I do have to ask, in harem series or series with harem elements like Tenchi when it's very apparent one girl is going to be the winner or its likely between 2 girls what value is there to adding girls 3-7 into the plot outside of selling merch? At least gxp justified it by having an (awful) harem end.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*catches up on Prison School*

*watches ep. 10*

THEY DID IT! THE FAMOUS SPEECH WHICH HAS BEEN POSTED NUMEROUS TIMES ON NEOGAF.

YOU BETTER DO THAT SCENE JUSTICE, FUNIMATION.

Bring Nisekoi to Toonami

Just kidding

Though I do have to ask, in harem series or series with harem elements like Tenchi when it's very apparent one girl is going to be the winner or its likely between 2 girls what value is there to adding girls 3-7 into the plot outside of selling merch? At least gxp justified it by having an (awful) harem end.
My only guess is if someone likes a girl that isn't the "mc", they hope the author will throw a curveball & be all "NOPE, it wasn't the obvious girl, it was actually THIS girl!" But that actually is an interesting question when the first girl we see is usually the "main" one.

Speaking of which, has Shonen Jump ever done a rom-com that was actually good? Like, all I can think of is Nisekoi, I"S, Ichigo 100%, &...I guess To-Love-Ru before Darkness i.e. "DRAW ALL THE GIRLS YOU WANT" happened, but all of them are basically "meh".

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I mean, it's part of the established formula. Some shows like to tease that the others have a chance (usually those with roots in pc games you can choose your route for) but other times they are there for additional comic relief. A show with only the frontrunners tend to get boring fast after all.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Or they cop out & be like "lulz he doesn't end up with anyone & it's up in the air, so your favorite might still have a chance!"

...actually, didn't Tenchi Muyo end like that, except hinting that it was one girl, but never full-on saying she was the "one"?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No. There are clear winners in the OVA (at least the first two parts, I don't count part three) and TV. Tenchi in Tokyo is even more bizarre as it starts with a winner and moves on from there.

I think the idea of a harem where there are 4-6 girls with a serious shot to win could be fun... But all of those girls/guys need to be introduced in chapter/episode 1 for that to work. When you introduce a new harem member half way though a series if that character actually wins and your series was straight rom com what was the point of the entire first half of the series if you were going to have a new guy/girl come in out of nowhere and win. So many harem series start small 1-2 and the slowly add jobbers for fans of jobbers and bizzaro world shippers. The only series I can think of that do the 4-6 winners in episode 1 are the adaptations of pc eroge where in the game you can romance any of them but the anime has to either pick the canon route (if one exists), pick a harem end, pick a random route, pick the nobody wins, or make up a route and all 5 potentially have issues.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The more I think about it, the more I agree with Bass. If you already know who is the "winner" or the main female is, where's the suspense, & therefore the point in watching? If you slowly introduce more characters, it doesn't work because we KNOW they won't get chosen, they're there for comedy/story/drama reasons.

& yes, I agree if you introduce everyone at the same time, then it works because we won't have a clue who is considered the main girl. The audience feels like everyone has an equal shot now. Problem is, most of them introduce the main girl then not long after, introduce about 3+ more "potential" choices, when we all know it's the first girl that the MC met.

I think most of them try for either the canon route (i.e. the true ending), the harem ending, or the nobody ending, & of course, it's a matter of figuring out which ending won't make the most fans angry. But of course, it also depends on how the viewer feels about the MC & if he deserves the ending as well.

Edit: Problem with the harem ending is that it feels like a cop-out in that "Oh it's okay, everyone "won", so your favorite character still got chosen!" & it honestly feels like the MC doesn't learn anything because it seems indecisive of them not being able to fully realize which person he cares about the most. It's probably why I absolutely loathe Makoto from School Days: He doesn't give a single fuck about the feelings about ANYONE & doesn't even see the females as actual human beings.

Crocodile

Most people don't marry (or just become a couple with) the first person they fall in love with or crush on. If anybody was interested in writing a competent "harem" series with realistic writing (or if writing quality had anything to do with why they sell LOL), the "issue" of introducing potential partners sequentially wouldn't be an issue at all.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Then again young folks love the idea of one and done before they've experienced life and these tales are written for the young.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Most people don't marry (or just become a couple with) the first person they fall in love with or crush on. If anybody was interested in writing a competent "harem" series with realistic writing (or if writing quality had anything to do with why they sell LOL), the "issue" of introducing potential partners sequentially wouldn't be an issue at all.
Now see, THIS would make for a good twist. The girl you thought was the main female & would be the one chosen doesn't turn out to be completely compatiable with the MC, so they break up & he has to apply what he learned about his first relationship in order to make the second one turn out better on a different girl? That would be closer to real life & wouldn't be seen as a harem cliche.

......but then again, some people watch anime (or tv, films, video games, etc.) to escape from reality, so it might not be as well received with the average anime fan.

Sadly, as much as I'd like to continue this discussion, I must leave for work.

Jarate

Banned
I dont think ve ever enjoyed a fully harem anime. I guess theres some with traits, but it always feels weird when everyone loves the MC for basically no reason.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
harem anime discussion?

so guys

if asuna was out of the picture, who do u think deserves kirito-kun?

barf

Season one, part one.

1. Asuna
2. Klein
3. Dead Blue Haired Girl
4. Lisbeth
5. Silica

Season one, part two.

1. Asuna
2. Suguha
3. Klein
4. Lisbeth