• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep15| You got the edge! You got the power!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
As much as I loathed Good Guy Satan™, nothing compare to the long drawn out torture of reading Bleach now a days.

"You want the series to end? Too bad! How about
eight tedious chapters of Mayuri fighting a fucking hand!
"

"You want the series to end? Too bad! How about
eight tedious chapters of Mayuri fighting a fucking hand!
"

Ehh that was a better fight then two random quincy fighting each other with a 3 chapter flash back in the middle >_<

And at least whenever our Bleach Final Act anime happens the fight will only be 1 episode

Raxus

Finally got caught up on last weeks episodes. Getting through that Shippuden episode was a struggle.

Anywho, Review Time!

Dragonball Z

Frieza transforms into a Ridley Scott lawsuit! Personally I hate this form, but it is rather short lived. It is just a shame Piccolo jobs so hard because he has so many cool moments in the series. Overall it is nice seeing Piccolo show off albeit short lived.

Edge ga Edge

An alright episode thanks to focus on one of the...(how do I say this?) less terrible voice actors being featured. This does a little world building at Tatsumi's expense of looking like a total fool. The humor kind of falls flat with such terrible delivery too. I am not liking Esdeath's voice but I might warm up to it.

Michiko e Hatchin

Easily the episode of the night. Finally some more character development for Michiko as the pair reunites and kicks the ass of creepy clowns. What is not to like? I want to say a bunch more about this series but I feel I would go way too long discussing the story arc in general. Overall I felt it was a very solid arc introducing new characters while fleshing out the titular pair. Hopefully the series continues its momentum from here.

SAO II

Super AIDS.

Shippuden

Going from SAO II to a much much much much less interesting Spice and Wolf episode. Gave me Mega AIDS. Poor Asuma. Could have had a touching death but it honestly feels like by not containing the episode it feels like he is dying again and again over the course of several episodes. Damn shame too since deaths should have a bigger impact on the audience.

One Piece

We learn a few big factoids from this episode but some aren't fleshed out for some time. Needless to say the next episode is big in continuity too. Overall the episode was paced alright and dropped enough hints to keep viewers interested. It is just a shame there isn't more payoff for what we learn for many episodes.

Rankings:

Good:
Michiko e Hatchin

Okay:
Dragonball Z
One Piece
Akame Ga Kill (barely)

Terrible:
Shippuden

Super Aids:
Super Aids Online II

You know, the SAO thing doesn't bother me too much. I mean, yeah, it's absolutely using AIDS as a crutch for real character development and it sucks as result, but it feels almost....respectful, in a way? Like, AIDS is portrayed as tragic pretty much to the point of parody. It's unnecessary in a way similar to the use of sexual assault, but it's not really being used for shock value here that's just sort of tossed off. You're being fucking BLUDGEONED with the fact that it's sad because it's desperately trying to make you sad, too. That's bad writing, but it's bad in a different way that doesn't really cross over into being offensive to me.

Shippuden was one of the worst episodes of the entire series.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You know, the SAO thing doesn't bother me too much. I mean, yeah, it's absolutely using AIDS as a crutch for real character development and it sucks as result, but it feels almost....respectful, in a way? Like, AIDS is portrayed as tragic pretty much to the point of parody. It's unnecessary in a way similar to the use of sexual assault, but it's not really being used for shock value here that's just sort of tossed off. You're being fucking BLUDGEONED with the fact that it's sad because it's desperately trying to make you sad, too. That's bad writing, but it's bad in a different way that doesn't really cross over into being offensive to me.

Shippuden was one of the worst episodes of the entire series.

Taken alone the Super AIDS isn't the worst thing in the world, but it's just a bit much considering all the creepy rape scenes we've had over the course of the series. It's just another case of something horrible, sexually, happening to the girls in the series. If it hadn't been an STD it wouldn't be so bad, but it's just part of a larger issue with the series.

That and it's use crosses the line into parody, making it more funny than sad.

Taken alone the Super AIDS isn't the worst thing in the world, but it's just a bit much considering all the creepy rape scenes we've had over the course of the series. It's just another case of something horrible, sexually, happening to the girls in the series. If it hadn't been an STD it wouldn't be so bad, but it's just part of a larger issue with the series.

Ask yourself this, if this arc mother's rosario was the only sao arc you had seen, how would you feel about the reveal then?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's basically a depiction of AIDS straight out of 1991, which would be fine if it was a period piece...instead of a near modern bit of sci fi in the future.

Well, it's an STD, yeah, but I don't think it was used in a sexual way here since it was the result of a blood transfusion. Don't get me wrong, I think it's bad, but I don't think it's any worse than a lot of what's happened in this show so far and it's better than a couple of things.

Crocodile

Ask yourself this, if this arc mother's rosario was the only sao arc you had seen, how would you feel about the reveal then?

It still doesn't change the fact that we are dealing with a depiction of AIDS from the 1980's in a show set in 2025 or that its trying to get us to feel SUPER SAD AND OMG ISN'T THIS THE WORST THING EVER over a character we haven't had enough time with to really care for (I like Yuki but all there is to her so far is spunk and gumption, it isn't that much in the grand scheme of things) or that its being handled (not only this episode but prior ones as well) in the most melodramatic way possible. That's already like three strikes BEFORE we add in all the SAO background bullshit :(

EDIT: Eveytime I'm forced to think "I can't believe SAO actually went with Super AIDS" I'm forced to hold back laughter. That's not a good thing if the show is trying to be legitimately dramatic.

title-super_asia.gif

Replace Asia with AIDS and that's all I can think :/

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
At the very least, it didn't least to sexual abuse victim #3, i.e Asuna & ASUDA-SAN.

....no, #4 if you count dragon girl & dem tentacles in S1 as well.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's still a horrible reveal, Super AIDS was always going to be bad. The fact SAO has problems with sexual assault just makes it worse. Also, that their understanding of the disease is right out of the 1980's makes it worse. Had it been cancer or TB or something like that it would have been a little better. I might not have laughed so hard at the idiocy.

EDIT: Eveytime I'm forced to think "I can't believe SAO actually went with Super AIDS" I'm forced to hold back laughter. That's not a good thing if the show is trying to be legitimately dramatic.

I know exactly how you feel. I feel like I'm going to hell for laughing so hard at it.

Well, it's an STD, yeah, but I don't think it was used in a sexual way here since it was the result of a blood transfusion. Don't get me wrong, I think it's bad, but I don't think it's any worse than a lot of what's happened in this show so far and it's better than a couple of things.

My point was more that it feels like whenever something bad happens to a girl in this series it is sexual in nature. From molestation, to rape, to getting an STD. How she got the STD matters less than the fact it is an STD. It's just part of a pattern is all.

Mizerman

To be honest, I still wouldn't have felt much about it. I would still find it to be forced and melodramatic to me. Especially since I don't really find the characters very likable and memorable.

My point was more that it feels like whenever something bad happens to a girl in this series it is sexual in nature. From molestation, to rape, to getting an STD. How she got the STD matters less than the fact it is an STD. It's just part of a pattern is all.

I feel like I can draw a pretty decent line between the two in my head based on how they're portrayed, but that might be just because I'm numb to the show's bullshit at this point.

It still doesn't change the fact that we are dealing with a depiction of AIDS from the 1980's in a show set in 2025 or that its trying to get us to feel SUPER SAD AND OMG ISN'T THIS THE WORST THING EVER over a character we haven't had enough time with to really care for (I like Yuki but all there is to her so far is spunk and gumption, it isn't that much in the grand scheme of things) or that its being handled (not only this episode but prior ones as well) in the most melodramatic way possible. That's already like three strikes BEFORE we add in all the SAO background bullshit :(

title-super_asia.gif

Replace Asia with AIDS and that's all I can think :/
PLrWCH3.jpg

LOLDSFAN

You guys betrayed me. I was totally expecting them to say "Super" AIDS and they never did.

VUbRl6E.gif

Lol but anyway I'm caught up for tonight. It's gonna be weird starting at 9pm now that I'm on the west coast. But hey now I get even more sleep since I'm ending earlier too. :D

Raxus

BtB was indeed the worst marathon. 2nd worst probably marathoning the neverending battle of trost again.

Best has to be Dandy.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
A GXP marathon would be disastrous, meanwhile the best possible marathon would be One Piece, all new episodes, every holiday.

I remember two things vividly about Beware the Batman.

200_s.gif

Batman's weird fucking lips.

And that Batman lost...
Batman-vs-Megpie-dc-comics-37375931-430-242.gif

to Magpie a lot.

Oh, and Batman was terrible. Not in quality wise, I mean as a hero. He never seemed to help or save anyone.

Raxus

I just remember Beware the Batman being the very definition of a 'kids show' and Harvey Dent being an irredeemable dick from the start.

Oh and Shiny Shiny Magpie but it wasn't because of her, more it made me thing of the much better DMW.

BtB is the only show to air on new toonami that I watched that I gave up on. At least other shows had enjoyable shlock or laughably dumb moments BtB was just so dull.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think the only Toonami show I flat-out "gave up" watching was Thundercats, if that counts. Otherwise, having a group to people to watch & have reactions with has most likely made me stick with a show just so I can see what others think, and perhaps the "we're in this together & we'll stick to it to the end" mentality.

Raxus

I got bored to death with SAO last week and forgot to switch back when it ended.

I know you have Super AIDS and you want to live one day as a normal girl so let's go to school.

I am sure they can pull out of a boring (albeit Super AIDS filled) episode and maybe have an emotional ending. It is just a shame they spent so much time describing Super AIDS.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Thundercats is a show I basically missed watching on TOONAMI, though I'd seen most of it from regular CN airings. I consider it the worst show aired on modern TOONAMI, with GXP a close second and BtB a bit further away in third.

Most of it is because beyond being a bad show, it's an incredibly disappointing one. Anyone can look at GXP or BtB and know you're getting into some deep shit, but if you watch the pilot movie for Thundercats you might go hey, this show has some real promise! High budget! Decent concept for a remake! Good acting! Then it almost immediately falls off a cliff. Then it gets worse and worse and never ever gets any better.

Raxus

The funny thing about Thundercats is just how spectacularly it fails. It is like it got the gold medal at failing. Not just the midseason but the season/series finale is so bogged down by such bonkers twists that it makes your head spin on how wrong the show was. Words actually fail me describing how perplexing that show is. I can only utter 'why?'

Didn't Thundercats have a lot of potential or something? I seem to remember people liking it early on.

Really strong Pilot episode with the original Lion-o himself playing Dumbass Lion-o's dad, the King. Also, Snarf didn't talk so props to them for that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Didn't Thundercats have a lot of potential or something? I seem to remember people liking it early on.

It did have a whole lot of potential. The pilot was amazing, but it was all downhill from there. It reminded me a bit of the He-Man reboot OG Toonami had for a while, great pilot but downhill from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom