• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep15| You got the edge! You got the power!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thundercats had promise.

But it squandered it with piss poor characterization.

Mumm-ra started out as this really threatening villain, who managed to basically beat the Thundercats. Without even transforming.

His transformation wasn't even too bad.

But then he got lamer, and lamer.

Tygra was a character who started bad and only got worse.

"I tried to kill my brother, but then I felt bad about it, woe is me! Feel for me audience!"

The funny thing about Thundercats is just how spectacularly it fails. It is like it got the gold medal at failing. Not just the midseason but the season/series finale is so bogged down by such bonkers twists that it makes your head spin on how wrong the show was. Words actually fail me describing how perplexing that show is. I can only utter 'why?'

Really strong Pilot episode with the original Lion-o himself playing Dumbass Lion-o's dad, the King. Also, Snarf didn't talk so props to them for that.

I want to say that it almost seems like they got rid of the writers for the pilot and instead had a bunch of rotating writers that weren't communicating that well. It would explain why there were so many contradictory episode themes. It feels like the characters weren't sketched out very well as it seemed the writers often focused on the brother character a lot to the exclusion of everyone else despite the fact that they were supposedly the heroes making them seem weak and indecisive.

Cheetara going with Tygra is like top 3 trolls of all time

and by top i mean "FUCK ALL OF THIS FOREVER"

Cheetara and Tygra had negative interaction up to that point, but they just throw a flashback up, so it's okay?

I think the writers themselves realized that no one would like it, and pushed Cheetara into the background HARD after that.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Cheetara and Tygra had negative interaction up to that point, but they just throw a flashback up, so it's okay?

I think the writers themselves realized that no one would like it, and pushed Cheetara into the background HARD after that.

Still not the worst act of romantic bullshit that show pulled either.

TheChits

It did have a whole lot of potential. The pilot was amazing, but it was all downhill from there. It reminded me a bit of the He-Man reboot OG Toonami had for a while, great pilot but downhill from there.

The pilot was so so good :(. Such a disappointment

Crocodile

I kind of wish new Thundercats had gotten a second season just to finish the story. It did become pretty fucking stupid by like halfway through the first season but ending it all 1/2 through the plot feels weird and makes me feel bad for those who worked on it. I probably would have watched a second season (while complaining how dumb it was) for completion's sake. Or maybe I don't exactly remember just how bad it got. I dunno.

Raxus

"I'm joinging forces with the person who killed me, because you weren't there for me when you had no way of knowing I needed you! DIIIEEEEE!"

Me first watching it:
17175%20-%20autoplay_gif%20fan%20gif%20glasses%20shock%20wrestlemania%20wwe.gif

What's even better (see worse) about it is going BACK with the revelation and realizing how little it made sense.

I kind of wish new Thundercats had gotten a second season just to finish the story. It did become pretty fucking stupid by like halfway through the first season but ending it all 1/2 through the plot feels weird and makes me feel bad for those who worked on it. I probably would have watched a second season (while complaining how dumb it was) for completion's sake. Or maybe I don't exactly remember just how bad it got. I dunno.
I am not mad. Not one fucking bit. Fuck that show. Much better shows have aired that deserved another season. I was actually kind of surprised they chose Thundercats over Young Justice.

Sad thing is shows that flopped hard like Thundercats are probably a big reason action cartoonss are now extinct unless they under the guise of comedy.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, this isn't even Frieza's final form (no, wait, now it is), Night Raid runs across Seryu again (what are the odds?), Michiko gets sick and it's up to Hatchin to take care of her (surely the back alley doctors of pseudo-Brazil are friendlier than the circus, right?), Asuna takes Yuuki on a virtual school tour and there's still the matter of confronting her mom to take care of (can you believe this still isn't the final episode?), Team 10 assembles following Asuma's funeral to set out to avenge their sensei (after Shikamaru's done sulking, anyway), over in the New World Red-Haired Shanks makes contact with Whitebeard Edward Newgate (this episode is crazy important, yo), and Eren gets trapped in a tunnel (your hero, ladies and gentlemen).

8:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 39 - Piccolo Reborn! Frieza's Second Transformation
12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 40 - Frieza's Final Transformation! The Ultimate Nightmare Begins!
12:30 - Akame ga Kill! - 6 - Kill Absolute Justice
1:00 - Michiko e Hatchin - 12 - Purgatory: 108°C Telepathy
1:30 - Sword Art Online II - 23 - The Dream Begins
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 82 - Team Ten
2:30 - One Piece - 316 - Shanks Makes a Move! The Linchpin to the Reckless Era!
3:00 - Attack on Titan - 24 - Mercy: Assault on Stohess, Part 2

So I actually looked up what the creators were gonna do if the story had continued, and some of it doesn't sound too bad.

-They were gonna have Mumm-ra transform Pumyra into a giant insect like creature, and have her kill off Tigra, when he takes a blow for Lion-O. So, killing off Tigra is a big step in the right direction.

-Apparently Snarf is actually FUCKING INVINCIBLE, and was actually created by Mumm-ra, in an effort to make perfect beings.

-Slithe would have gotten an episode where his past was revealed, showing that the cats destroyed his village.

Apparently, the show wasn't canned because of the reactions to it, it just didn't sell toys.

Raxus

Tonight's them is Edgealicious.

Mmmmm. So much good Edge that you'll be at the edge of your seat carving edges with your edgy carving tool to maximize the edginess to edge edge edge edge edge.

LOL at the AoT description MetatronM. I approve.

Regardless of how shitty something is I always would rather see a series get some kind of a conclusion that wraps up the major plot threads even if it has to be a rushed/shitty ending. What apparently happened to Thundercats reboot and what did happen to Symbiotic Titan just rubs me the wrong way. If you're not going to renew a show for a second season at least give the show creators the decency ahead of time of to change course and quickly wrap things up to give the story a conclusion. That or give the author the rights to either shop the show on another network or do some word of god text summary of what was going to happen to post online. Anything is better then nothing. I'll admit if a show is based upon an ongoing story then I'd much rather have an open ended "go read the source material if you want to see more" then a filler made up ending (because 90% of those suck), but when your show is a completely original story like most western cartoon shows are let them finish the tale and not leave the fans hanging forever.

And yes I understand why many of these things do/don't happen ($$$) but it still doesn't make me less irritated :(

GOD DAMN IT Why did Pony Canyon have to license Rokka Braves of the Six Flowers? I'd kill for that to get dubbed and on Toonami. Looking at their history though they're pretty new to the whole license anime in the US for streaming/home video release and thus far nothing they've licensed has been dubbed or released (they started fall 2014) so hopefully they plan to do some dubbing so we can see Rokka on Toonami.

12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 40 - Frieza's Final Transformation! The Ultimate Nightmare Begins!
12:30 - Akame ga Kill! - 6 - Kill Absolute Justice
1:00 - Michiko e Hatchin - 12 - Purgatory: 108°C Telepathy
1:30 - Sword Art Online II - 23 - The Dream Begins
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 82 - Team Ten
2:30 - One Piece - 316 - Shanks Makes a Move! The Linchpin to the Reckless Era!
3:00 - Attack on Titan - 24 - Mercy: Assault on Stohess, Part 2

081.gif

Can't wait to see the AgK reactions.

The first episode of Fairy Tale is like a fucking cool down episode after an intense arc in any other Shonen, so basically the most generic thing ever and the least gripping first episode I've ever seen.

Mik317

speaking of One Piece.

Yo

I will admit Collen Clinkenbeard's Luffy voice can get really annoying after a while...
but wooooo

she earns that paycheck in the recent release woooo

The first episode of Fairy Tale is like a fucking cool down episode after an intense arc in any other Shonen, so basically the most generic thing ever and the least gripping first episode I've ever seen.

Fairy Tail truly has one of the most bizarre openings of any series I've ever read basically for that reason. Like if One Piece started when Robin joined the crew but dropped the whole her working for the bad guy angle. It's a deliberate decision which works well enough to make the audience and our PoV character Lucy feel like the newest member of a large guild that's been around for years and has a history and inside jokes that they need to be caught up on... I'm just not sure if that's really the best way to handle the start of what you plan to be a long running shonen battle series. It's the kind of intro I'd get a sequel series which enables both newcomers to jump in and fans of the original to jump in at the same time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I remember when Gucci started watching Fairy Tale. I've never seen anyone rage against a show like he did against Fairy Tale. It was like the show killed his father and he had to get revenge.

So, might as well come clean on something.

I like Fairy Tail. I like it more than One Piece. Which is saying something because I really like One Piece.

I know.

I know One Piece has a better told story.

I know One Piece has more rounded characters.

I know that One Piece's world is more fleshed out.

But Fairy Tail scratches that shonen itch for me in ways that One Piece doesn't. I don't know why.

Moaradin

speaking of One Piece.

Yo

I will admit Collen Clinkenbeard's Luffy voice can get really annoying after a while...
but wooooo

she earns that paycheck in the recent release woooo

oh boy I can't wait for that. That one scene in the last release was great as well.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I like Fairy Tail. I like it more than One Piece. Which is saying something because I really like One Piece.

I know.

But Fairy Tail scratches that shonen itch for me in ways that One Piece doesn't. I don't know why.

zWlcZ0N.png

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I know.

...I am so sorry.

7f3r43D.gif

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
WVW69iZ5QOMRbXhXRV

As Sony-focused as TGS feels now, I feel kinda odd talking about it on Wii U... but hey, Monster Hunter Stories and Project Fiona Zone exist, right?

KoF still makes me a bit bummed... but not too much not to make fun of it!

I know.

Vo5W0OJ.jpg

It's okay to like junk food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom