• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

So how exactly would the Downtown Relief Line work? I keep hearing about it but I'm far too lazy to see how it works.

In my mind I see it as a train that just goes from Finch to Bloor to Union to St. George to Downsview and vice versa.
There's been multiple proposals of different variations, but most deal with basically an offshoot route that goes from either (or both ends) of the bloor line at some where, heading towards union-ish area. Essentially, a second loop in addition to the current yonge-university line loop, which hopes to reduce the load on yonge/bloor & st. george.

Of course, the plan after that should further extend that up, which pulls more people away from the yonge line.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
There's been multiple proposals of different variations, but most deal with basically an offshoot route that goes from either (or both ends) of the bloor line at some where, heading towards union-ish area. Essentially, a second loop in addition to the current yonge-university line loop, which hopes to reduce the load on yonge/bloor & st. george.

Of course, the plan after that should further extend that up, which pulls more people away from the yonge line.

Just Google Downtown Relief Line if you want to see various proposals on it over the years.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
@KatieSimpson24
BREAKING: Mayor Ford no longer coach of Don Bosco Eagles football team. TCDSB says they want to pursue 'different direction'.

At least he'll be able to stay late for council meetings now.

Biff

Lots of people huffing and puffing this morning after getting off the TTC. Understandable, but someone lost their life, need to have some respect for that.

I strongly disagree with that last part.

This person decided to use their last moment of life to cause as much inconvenience for as many people as possible. The economic production our city has lost by all those commuters being 15 minutes late for work has likely superseded the value the jumper ever produced for our society throughout their life.

No, we don't have to respect them. It's an incredibly selfish way to take your own life. One final middle finger to the society they likely blame for their issues.

Think of the people (commuters, train operators) who witnessed a human being disintegrate in front of them. They were just minding their own business, trying to get to work, and now they are likely scarred for life from what they saw.

Willectro

Banned

This person decided to use their last moment of life to cause as much inconvenience for as many people as possible. The economic production our city has lost by all those commuters being 15 minutes late for work has likely superseded the value the jumper ever produced for our society throughout their life.

No, we don't have to respect them. It's an incredibly selfish way to take your own life. One final middle finger to the society they likely blame for their issues.

Think of the people (commuters, train operators) who witnessed a human being disintegrate in front of them. They were just minding their own business, trying to get to work, and now they are likely scarred for life from what they saw.

Relevant.

Fugu

What a load of bull. No amount of productivity lost by people being fifteen minutes late is equatable to someone losing their life.

cbox

Eh I dunno man, someone lost their life today. Suicidal people are sick, and they aren't thinking rationally.

He basically said, Rob Ford told him the story isn't true and he believes his brother. He also called out the Star a number of times. And now he's been going on about all the great things Rob Ford has done for the city. Saved money, balanced the budget, record development (attributed to Rob Ford somehow?) and he defeated unemployment apparently.

edit: Calls out Gawker as well. And goes on for a while talking about how his family can't find any peace, as they're constantly harassed.

edit2: Goes on to say this degrading to the Somali community in Toronto. And leaves without taking questions.

At first I thought it was a statement saying something that might actually concrete.

Then I thought it was bluster and "poor me".

Then I thought it was just bloviating and a piss-poor attempt to read journalists the riot act.

Then I thought it was a filibuster of sorts.

Then it occurred to me that maybe Doug was just giving his brother an opportunity to get out of the building unhounded. Assuming the Mayor was ever in the building at all.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I'm OLD. Thinking back, this was like a decade ago. Maybe more.
I've lived in this city 15 plus years now. I don't remember any pork bone uprising. Shitty Korean BBQs run by Chinese people, shitty sushi places run by Chinese people, Shitty Chinese places run by Chinese people, but a pork bone popularity period? Nope.

Personally, if you want to try some good stuff, get the bossam. Holy fuck do I love bossam. I think the only place that has it is Arisu right now, but others may have it.

And lol Ford and fuck the TTC.

Quick

Banned
I've lived in this city 15 plus years now. I don't remember any pork bone uprising. Shitty Korean BBQs run by Chinese people, shitty sushi places run by Chinese people, Shitty Chinese places run by Chinese people, but a pork bone popularity period? Nope.

The Bibimbap in these Koreak BBQ places suck.

I don't mind Korean BBQ places, and it was popular for my friends and I in high school to go to (even now, occasionally).

I've been living in Toronto for a little over 10 years now. Time flies.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The Bibimbap in these Koreak BBQ places suck.

I don't mind Korean BBQ places, and it was popular for my friends and I in high school to go to (even now, occasionally).

I've been living in Toronto for a little over 10 years now. Time flies.

I blame the Chinese.
hey, I can blame my own kind
Best bibimbap I had was a tie.

One was this out of the way restaurant for people who went canoeing. The other was in this herb garden. They put edible flowers in it. I need to upload these fucking pictures some time...holy shit was it gud.

Quick

Banned
I blame the Chinese.
hey, I can blame my own kind
Best bibimbap I had was a tie.

One was this out of the way restaurant for people who went canoeing. The other was in this herb garden. They put edible flowers in it. I need to upload these fucking pictures some time...holy shit was it gud.

I blame you guys, too!
I can blame my own race.

Best bibimbap I've had? I can't actually remember where. I've had "just fine" and "pretty bad", and that's from different places.

explodet

Personally, if you want to try some good stuff, get the bossam. Holy fuck do I love bossam. I think the only place that has it is Arisu right now, but others may have it.
I think it was early 2000/2001? Back in Korea town when the Owl of Minerva on Bloor near Christie was still the Booungee and had exactly 4 things on their menu. Around that area shortly afterwards everybody had gamjatang on the menu. I get forgetful in my old age so it's not all clear.

Personally I'm still getting through my head that right now there's a semi-popular ramen chain run by Koreans.

Not the biggest fan of bossam, but I certainly wouldn't turn it down.
Sure could go for a bowl of soondubu right now though.

gaxvWwh.jpg

source

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Crackstarter is at 125,000 with 5 days to go. I think we might make it!

I just looked now its at 132,000 with 5 days to go.

Oh my.

Not gonna lie I kinda want it to not be him just so I can see Willectro come in here and spit some hot fiyah.

Biff

I feel blessed to live in a city where donating $200,000 to crack dealers is a fair deal only if we get to further disgrace Toronto on the international stage in return.

What is the video going to change? Ford will not resign. There is no legal ground to impeach him. A new vote cannot be forced. This is a lose-lose situation that will only serve to generate clicks for the media.

But hey, maybe the crack dealers will use the money to go back to school, right? I mean... They could also use the money to buy weapons and more drug supply to turn into even more prof-NAH WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the people donating money don't even live in Toronto. This news story blew up across North America.
edit: my friend in England just told me he also heard about it on the news. lol

Also, who really cares? People waste money on shit all the time. No biggie.
I wouldn't give one cent towards it but it's not my money.

Roto13

I just want Ford to be under such a close watch that he can't get his next fix and he ends up freaking out with the DTs or something.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I feel blessed to live in a city where donating $200,000 to crack dealers is a fair deal only if we get to further disgrace Toronto on the international stage in return.

What is the video going to change? Ford will not resign. There is no legal ground to impeach him. A new vote cannot be forced. This is a lose-lose situation that will only serve to generate clicks for the media.

But hey, maybe the crack dealers will use the money to go back to school, right? I mean... They could also use the money to buy weapons and more drug supply to turn into even more prof-NAH WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT.

I agree with most of your sentiment on the later issue, but not on the 'disgracing Toronto further' aspect. If the video could come to light using less nefarious means, I would try to hide it to try to save face. Ford is mostly neutered as it is because he couldn't play nice, but maybe this would set a precedent for removal of a Mayor from office, or bring further legal actions against him. It might actually force him to confront his substance abuse issue too.

It is funny that most Ford supports have backed into the 'Stop bringing shame to Toronto, we don't need to see the video!' position. As if it wouldn't be Ford's fault at all if the video did come to light. All his bigoted comments in the past were just taken out of context and he's really just a misunderstood victim in this case too.

Brinbe

Oh my.

Not gonna lie I kinda want it to not be him just so I can see Willectro come in here and spit some hot fiyah.
He's doing that regardless of if it's him or not.

It's on Gawker, it's def not coming from people in this city. Relax, why so mad? IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY! FREE MARKET RULES ;)

That's not what this is about. If this video gets released and it's legit, it means the dumb bastard needs help. We can barely tolerate an idiot mayor, but a crackhead mayor is on a completely different, unacceptable level. Of course, exposing him blatantly lying to everyone (again) would be fun to watch, but this is for the greater good of the city.

Roto13

It'd be much more disgraceful to ignore the fact that our mayor is likely a crackhead. If you want to blame someone for bringing shame to Toronto, blame Ford and everyone who supports him.

cbox

It makes me sick that people are so willing to throw their money at stupid shit, yet I struggle year after year to help raise money for cancer research. Disgusting.

It makes me sick that people are so willing to throw their money at stupid shit, yet I struggle year after year to help raise money for cancer research. Disgusting.

I hope you have the same hatred of people that buy $1000 hand bags. Maybe you do though... I just want to make sure you are consistent.

Roto13

I also hope that you give 100% of your disposable income to charity. You're assuming that everyone who gives to the Crackstarter is doing so without ever donating money to anything more worthy.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

So burn the flag if you must, but before you do, you better burn a few other things! You better burn your shirt and your pants! Be sure to burn your TV and car! Oh yes, and don't forget to burn your house! Because none of those things could exist without six white stripes, seven red stripes, and a hell of a lot of stars!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So burn the flag if you must, but before you do, you better burn a few other things! You better burn your shirt and your pants! Be sure to burn your TV and car! Oh yes, and don't forget to burn your house! Because none of those things could exist without six white stripes, seven red stripes, and a hell of a lot of stars!

ibvLHRNu3ZWw47.gif

Azih

I just enjoy seeing the cognitive dissonance get amped up on Ford supporters.

It just seems like such a siege mentality. What will it take to disown the guy? If he goes to his supporters lawn and eats a baby? Will they go "Well that looks like a minority baby from here, so it's ok."

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Let's not forget how damning it would also be to get him calling Trudeau a "fag" on camera, not to mention the "minorities" comment.

Willectro

Banned

Oh my.

I don't even know what to think about this entire thing now. I hate to side with The Star, but whether the video is legit or not, the way the Fords have handled the situation thus far really makes me wonder.

I have to admit I would love for the $200,000 to be raised, the video purchased, and then found to be fake in some way. That sum of money going to the dealers is a small price to pay for The Star and Gawker to look like morons.

Top Bottom