• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Roto13

Speaking of the Crackstarter, it's at $178k with 33 hours to go. It's likely to reach its goal, though that won't mean much if the drug dealer with the video has disappeared for good. I guess they'll just refund everyone's money?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
That's nonsense. Half the time they don't even get a proper lunch break because someone has to make sure the kids don't eat each other every minute of the day.

All the schools I've seen have this done by parent volunteers or paid lunch monitors. Teachers usually get a lunch break, 1 period of the day to do paper work, and not to mention classes end early so they can finish up any thing left over before 5.

There are lots of professions that have to do a "ridiculous amount of work" that is unpaid, but teaching isn't one of them. Its the closest to the standard 9-5 with good salary and benefits you can get these days (if you can find a job).

Roto13

All the schools I've seen have this done by parent volunteers or paid lunch monitors. Teachers usually get a lunch break, 1 period of the day to do paper work, and not to mention classes end early so they can finish up any thing left over before 5.

There are lots of professions that have to do a "ridiculous amount of work" that is unpaid, but teaching isn't one of them. Its the closest to the standard 9-5 with good salary and benefits you can get these days (if you can find a job).

Please, tell me more about the lives of teachers, as though my mother isn't a teacher with five teacher siblings, three of whom are married to teachers.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Please, tell me more about the lives of teachers, as though my mother isn't a teacher with five teacher siblings, three of whom are married to teachers.

Eh, I have siblings that are teachers too. I'll trust their experience over yours.

If you can get a job, its totally kush.

I didn't mean offence to teachers, I love 'em. It was a jab at Ford who leaves Council early if he ever does bother showing up. It was hypocritical of him to criticize teachers.

Teachers do a ridiculous amount of work on their own time that they don't get paid for, like writing up tests, then correcting them, and grading papers and stuff.

Let's not all jump for that red herring at once. The real issue is that Ford isn't showing up for work, not that so-called "teachers get to leave at 3" or "bankers get to leave at 4".

It's entirely possible he's sitting in his old constituency office entertaining one-on-one calls and emails. Good for him - but that's not what I believe a mayor should be doing for half the work-week.

Roto13

You won't find me arguing that Rob Ford isn't useless. He's certainly not doing a fraction of the work the average teacher does in their supposed free time. He doesn't even do his work at work.

Biff

Hmmm if the Crackstarter gets close to funding, I might chip in a few bucks just to screw over all the assholes who contributed to this with the intention of getting the video released.

It is painfully obvious that the video release is not happening. If the $200k is now reached, NO REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN. This is 100% clear in both IndieGoGo's ToS and Gawker's update. Instead, the money will be donated to a charity that deals with substance abuse.

So, in summary, if you donate from here on out (and cause the project to get funded):
- You are donating to a substance abuse charity
- You are wasting the money of people who don't deserve to get a refund

This really is tempting. It would especially screw over the retard who donated $10,000.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hmmm if the Crackstarter gets close to funding, I might chip in a few bucks just to screw over all the assholes who contributed to this with the intention of getting the video released.

It is painfully obvious that the video release is not happening. If the $200k is now reached, NO REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN. This is 100% clear in both IndieGoGo's ToS and Gawker's update. Instead, the money will be donated to a charity that deals with substance abuse.

So, in summary, if you donate from here on out (and cause the project to get funded):

This really is tempting. It would especially screw over the retard who donated $10,000.

Hey, I'm one of those assholes. Too bad I can read and already knew that my money would be going to a charity if they can't get the video. It was a win-win!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

You sound really salty about this.

Biff

You sound really salty about this.

Yup, I am. As I posted before, the thought of rewarding crack dealers disgusts me to my very core.

People who were originally donating money with the intent of paying the dealers for this video sicken me. The dealers aren't going to use $200k for the good of their community. It would inevitably be used to strengthen their offering through purchasing more supply, or purchasing weapons to protect their supply.

Handing criminals who destroy their communities a winning lottery ticket cannot be justified by anything, especially not anything related to politics.

Divvy

Oh please, the damage Ford has done to Toronto far outstrips a single low level drug dealer. It's well worth it to make him and his brother as impotent as possible. I'm quite happy with the five dollars i pitched in.

Oh please, the damage Ford has done to Toronto far outstrips a single low level drug dealer. It's well worth it to make him and his brother as impotent as possible. I'm quite happy with the five dollars i pitched in.

Your donation is helping to put that low-level drug dealer in a position to move up his ranks, or branch out on his own.

What sort of damage does the illegal drug trade do in this city? Or, to any city? Anyone?

An aside: Will you campaign this ardently against the brothers Ford in 2014?

Divvy

Your donation is helping to put that low-level drug dealer in a position to move up his ranks, or branch out on his own.

What sort of damage does the illegal drug trade do in this city? Or, to any city? Anyone?

Well it's not like I enjoy giving money to the crack dealers, however in a comparison between a person who represents one thing I don't like versus a person who represents virtually everything I don't like, I don't mind paying the lesser of two evils to oust the greater. While I can't say what influence these specific dealers have on the city, I don't believe it's greater than that of the mayor of this city.

And yeah, if the Fords run again, depending on who runs opposed, I will certainly be interested in contributing.

Oh wow

The Globe is saying the Police interviewed a senior staffer in Rob Ford's office who submitted a tip relating to the video and a homicide........possibly the address of the original person holding the video who may have been murdered and robbed of it

Good lord, whats next

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/toronto-police-spoke-to-mayor-fords-senior-staffer-after-tip-linked-killing-to-alleged-drug-video/article12163629/

"The informant in the mayor’s office purported to know the address and unit number where the video was being held.

They went on to say that the video originally belonged to an individual who may have been killed for its potentially valuable contents, according to a source."

Prax

Oh wow

The Globe is saying the Police interviewed a senior staffer in Rob Ford's office who submitted a tip relating to the video and a homicide........possibly the address of the original person holding the video who may have been murdered and robbed of it

Good lord, whats next

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/toronto-police-spoke-to-mayor-fords-senior-staffer-after-tip-linked-killing-to-alleged-drug-video/article12163629/

"The informant in the mayor’s office purported to know the address and unit number where the video was being held.

They went on to say that the video originally belonged to an individual who may have been killed for its potentially valuable contents, according to a source."
WOW WHAT!

Dr.Acula

Banned
I'm pretty sure crackstarted would have hit its goal if not for Gawkers announcment that they lost contact with the dealer.

I know on kickstarter you can cancel pledges, can you do so with indiegogo?

And the dealer said he wanted to use the money in order to leave the game and move west. Yeah, drug dealing is bad, m'kay, but it's not like being the CEO of Enron or something, most crack dealers would rather not have to do it. The guy's friend (photographed with Ford) was gunned down recently after all. Don't think of it as giving 200k to to a dealer, think of it as giving 200k to get a dealer off the streets!

Edit: oh. So if it's 200k that went to a crack dealer who murdered another crack dealer... I suddenly feel not so great about it.

If people are dying over this no wonder they're laying low and not talking to Gawker. Probably waiting for indiegogo to hit 200. Someone let them know that if it doesn't hit 200, they get nothing.

Fucking drama all up in this bitch. Crack dealers, how do they work?

Fugu

Oh wow

Good lord, whats next

*Sound of plot thickening*

Willectro

Banned

Possibly. But more likely they will buy an Escalade and the money will be gone.

Oh wow

Good lord, whats next

So now, if they video does exist, Ford indirectly caused a murder? I can see The Star headlines now "Ford Crack Murder".

Azih

Huh, and I thought for sure Ford had managed to buy off the video and that's why was confident with the weekend refutation.

The poor drug dealers were trying to be clandestine. This is all CNN's fault. "Hey we have the chance to buy a video of Toronto's mayor smoking crack, what should we do?

"Let's call them for comment! DERP DERP"

I don't think anything will come out of that. Who's been murdered the past week? No one, that been made public yet. :s

There was a murder last Sunday, the only murder in May, but there's already someone charged for that.

Stet

Banned
Oh wow

Good lord, whats next

Can someone quote this whole article? I've been struck by the Globe and Mail's new idiotic pay wall.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Oh wow

Good lord, whats next

Draaaaama.

A senior member of Rob Ford’s office was interviewed by police last week about a tip linking a video allegedly showing the mayor smoking illicit drugs to a recent Toronto homicide, two separate sources have confirmed.

The staffer felt compelled to share the tip, which came to him from someone else in the mayor’s office, with police because it could constitute evidence in a homicide investigation.

The staffer did not verify the credibility of the information.

Two officers interviewed the staffer away from City Hall, according to a source with knowledge of the meeting.

The mayor has repeatedly denied the existence of a video.

Toronto police refused to comment on the interview. The mayor’s spokesperson did not respond to requests for comment on the story.

The tip came into the mayor’s office shortly after reports surfaced in the Toronto Star and on Gawker.com regarding the existence of a video allegedly showing Mr. Ford smoking crack cocaine.

The informant in the mayor’s office purported to know the address and unit number where the video was being held.

They went on to say that the video originally belonged to an individual who may have been killed for its potentially valuable contents, according to a source.

The video clip was allegedly offered for sale to the Star and Gawker by men involved in the drug trade, according to reports in both outlets. Gawker is trying to raise $200,000 for the video through an online campaign.

Both media reports were accompanied by a photo, provided by the men selling the video, that allegedly shows Mr. Ford standing with a man believed to be Anthony Smith, a 21-year-old man gunned down in downtown Toronto in March.

Mr. Ford broke a seven-day silence about the allegations on Friday. “I do not use crack cocaine, nor am I an addict of crack cocaine,” he said in a speech at City Hall. “As for a video, I cannot comment on a video that I have never seen or does not exist.”

On Sunday, he was more unequivocal about the video’s existence, telling a caller to his weekly radio show, “There’s no video, so you can’t comment on something that doesn’t exist.”

Divvy

This story just won't end it seems. Can't wait for next week's report of the Ford brothers feasting on the homeless.

g24ZVzI.jpg

source

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I'm sure its because ford was pictured with someone who was murdered

Not because the guy who holds the tape was murdered (don't think this is true, tbh)

Dyno

This morning on the radio a Toronto Star reporter (Doolittle ? ) claimed that there are at least three copies of the video. The Star is still in negociations for a copy. Plus she said there are other stories in the works. There's more to come.

Top Bottom