• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Divvy....are you my alt?! D:

Maybe I'm your alt?! D: D:

Would add Kinton Ramen and maybe even Manpuku (love that Asahi Black)

same6pepe.png

Same!

I thought Kinton was okay, but my friends maybe liked it. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen there, but later I realized that I just don't really like Shoyu ramen all that much, so I'll probably go there and try something else. The Karaage was really good though.

Oppo

Hmm. Sort of mixed feelings about that.

This summed it up pretty well:

Telus's offer was a lifeline to Mobilicity. Without access to well-funded backers, it's unlikely the smaller players can survive, Ghose says.

"It now seems inevitable that Mobilicity will go bankrupt and Public Mobile may follow," Ghose said in a note to clients. "More importantly, if new entrants are not allowed to be sold to the only obvious buyers – the incumbents – we wonder why investors would want to fund the independent new entrants."

Others were more positive on the news, from a consumer perspective, at least.

Lobby group The Public Interest Advocacy Centre had said Telus's move, as well as the plans for Rogers to buy spectrum from Shaw and Videotron, were bad for consumers and would stifle competition.

"The minister called the industry’s bluff," said the group's executive director, John Lawford. "This government stood up for wireless consumers today by telling the incumbent carriers that it wants consumers to be able to choose from four or more wireless carriers."

Divvy

The goverment should bail out mobilicity then. If the auto industry and the banking industry can get bailouts for their own stupid mess, I don't see any reason why the new telecoms can't.

Other food: Black Hoof, Cava, Guu, Lee's, Grand Electric, Drake Hotel, Beast, Bahn Mi Boys, The Copper Chimney, Stockyards, King of Dumplings, Caplansky's, Sansotei Ramen, Wvrst, El Trompo, Trevor Kitchen and Bar, various places in the St. Lawrence Market

There is some great advice in here. The guy from New York would be doing well going to these.
I think I'll single out the Black Hoof and the smoke meat sandwich at Caplanskys. The ribs at Stockyards are incredible too but almost every time I get there, they are already sold out.

Oh, I'll throw in a recommendation for Pizzeria Libretto too in case he likes Neapolitan-style pizza.

King of Dumplings

How is this place? I don't know it. Is it better than Mother's Dumplings?

Divvy

How is this place? I don't know it. Is it better than Mother's Dumplings?

I haven't been to the new Chinatown one, but I live down the block from the North York one and I love it. Here's the blogto review.

It is more Northern-China style (thicker wrap, looser filling) versus mother's which is more southern style. Since I'm from the North, I prefer DK more, also they have my favourite picked cabbage(sauerkraut?) dumplings, plus deep fried dumplings (which the seafood filling kind is best served). I've also heard Mother's has gone downhill in recent years, but I haven't been recently to see for myself. Regardless, it's a great cheap meal.

EDIT: I got the name mixed up, I believe it's called Dumpling King

It is more Northern-China style (thicker wrap, looser filling) versus mother's which is more southern style. Since I'm from the North, I prefer KoD more, also they have my favourite picked cabbage dumplings, plus deep fried dumplings (which the seafood filling kind is best served).

Awesome. I may be white but I grew up eating dumplings almost everyday since I grew up in Agincourt. Chinese dumplings (my best friend's mom cooked the best ones) and schnitzel (my Austrian grandma makes the best one) made for a tasty childhood.

photo time:

3BBJRpX.jpg

source

Quadratic

I haven't been to the new Chinatown one, but I live down the block from the North York one and I love it. Here's the blogto review

EDIT: I got the name mixed up, I believe it's called Dumpling King

I passed by this place after going to Asian Legend Sunday. I didn't know there was a new location downtown. I need to know if they serve Taiwanese beef noodle soup!

Hmm. Sort of mixed feelings about that.

This summed it up pretty well:

Maybe there can still be smaller or foreign entrants that want to buy it up.

--

I can't believe PRESTO managed to make a site more useless than the last one. So many damn bugs. Spent the last 30 minutes trying to fill my card up >_<

Sober

I have my G2 and I probably want to get started on finishing my G. I've done maybe two hours with the instructor on the freeway with my G1 because everything else was easy and freeway is relatively simple as well. Just curious for those who have their G, how many hours do you need to submit (which is what I've been told) to let them take you on the G2 exit exam? Because I really haven't done any hours but it's almost been a year since I got my G2.

Oh and I also wanted to ask where you guys took the exam because unless it is ball-crushingly hard at Metro locations, I sure as hell don't want to drive to Algonquin or whatever to do it.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I did my G in Aurora

Likewise did mine in Aurora.

Failed it the first time at Downsview.

I will say I did mine almost a decade ago so not sure if the rules have changed. But when I got my G2 I had to wait a year before going for my G. Didn't matter how many hours I did with an instructor at that point.

Quick

Banned
I have my G2 and I probably want to get started on finishing my G. I've done maybe two hours with the instructor on the freeway with my G1 because everything else was easy and freeway is relatively simple as well. Just curious for those who have their G, how many hours do you need to submit (which is what I've been told) to let them take you on the G2 exit exam? Because I really haven't done any hours but it's almost been a year since I got my G2.

Oh and I also wanted to ask where you guys took the exam because unless it is ball-crushingly hard at Metro locations, I sure as hell don't want to drive to Algonquin or whatever to do it.

How many hours? If you do it online, you get a drop down list, and you choose how often you've been on the highway. I THINK.

I took my G test at Port Union. Relatively easy, with a surprise that I could have screwed up (merged highway ramp entry).

All it is is basically a quick recap of the stuff you did at the beginning of your G2 test: driving around a residential neighbourhood, parallel parking, three point turn, and getting onto a main street.

Then you go straight to the highway, where you're pretty much going on the ramp, merging, staying on that lane you merged on, change lanes (per the examiner's instructions), exit where the examiner tells you to, go back on the highway, do another lane change (again, per their instruction), and return to the test centre.

My test took about 20-30 minutes, but time flew by pretty fast. There were a few things I screwed up on ultimately, but I still got a pass. At this point, from what I feel, they base the test 40/60 on skill and your level of comfort on the highway.

Sober

Parallel parking review? Well I guess I better remember how to do it since I haven't had to do it since.

I think I just need a refresher for merging, that's about it. Did my G2 in Aurora so I guess doing it there again shouldn't be too much of a problem.

yyzjohn

Banned
All this talk of G, G2 I have no idea about. I'm of the old school 365 / Driver's licence. You could get your 365 one day and your licence the next! Good times.

Likewise did mine in Aurora.

Failed it the first time at Downsview.

I will say I did mine almost a decade ago so not sure if the rules have changed. But when I got my G2 I had to wait a year before going for my G. Didn't matter how many hours I did with an instructor at that point.

I did my G in Aurora
Hi5.

I had 2 minor deductions:

- Driving too slow (75 on 80 on Yonge)
- Downhill parallel park with curb had wheels pointed the wrong way...

Remember what to do for an emergency stop on an incline, and you don't always have to parallel park, at least it used to be random

I failed my G2 twice
Victoria Park - skidded past a stop sign cause of ice and snow, took too long to get into the right lane cause rush hour and snow
Barrie - thought the speed limit was 60 when it was 50, oops

G I got on the first try

Quick

Banned
Parallel parking review? Well I guess I better remember how to do it since I haven't had to do it since.

I think I just need a refresher for merging, that's about it. Did my G2 in Aurora so I guess doing it there again shouldn't be too much of a problem.

If it helps, I fucked up parallel parking on BOTH G2 and G tests.

Sober

I still don't know how I passed my G2, my seat was way too far back to be comfortable, I think my parallel was off by a bit but wasn't Austin Powers maneuver bad to get in, I think I might've forward parked too close to a side just missing the line and I totally forgot to switch into reverse and drove forward a bit during my three-point turn.

Divvy

Recommend any places downtown that serves it? I think there's a few places up in Markham but I'd rather stay in Toronto.

Sorry man, no idea. I usually don't get much asian food when I'm downtown since I'm surrounded by it up north.

I would recommend against Oakville, their roads are fucked up, and that area is a nightmare during rush hour, especially on the QEW.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I failed my G1 the first time. I remember all my friends laughing but they weren't when I was the first to get my G2 and was driving around in a smooth buick lesabre.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oh, anyone know any store breaking street dates for Animal Crossing?

No, but Staples and SDM tend to be the usual street date breakers. Gamerama will always break streetdate as well, although I don't endorse doing business with them.

Divvy

No, but Staples and SDM tend to be the usual street date breakers. Gamerama will always break streetdate as well, although I don't endorse doing business with them.

Awesome, I'll take a few looks here and there this week, thanks

Damn you Divvy I forgot about that game!

Hehe, it's mostly for my girlfriend. I want to get it for myself too, but I swore I wouldn't buy another 3DS game until I beat Fire Emblem, and that game won't stop kicking my ass.

Dyno

I went to Church Street Garage at Church and Maitland for lunch today. This place is where the Rainbow Cafe use to be.

Both my co-worker and I got these biggie salads with steak or chicken added. Very satisfying and very good. Another person got a burger they said was nice and another got a wrap that was excellent. As an added bonus they serve Shocktop Wheat Beer which was lovely.

It's a bit of a big deal because that patio is the best on Church Street. It gets lots of sun while the Churchmouse & Firkin or O'Grady's are still in the shade. For years my friends and I would drink beer and the Rainbow for the patio but never eat there. Now you can enjoy that patio and get some good food as well.

Just in time for Pride!

diaspora

So the video is gone and now Ford is basically poised for a comeback.

Thanks Toronto Star, Thanks!

I'd blame Gawker for this before the Star. I don't think they had planned on doing their piece until Gawker had prematurely shot their wad leaving a mess all over the city now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'd blame Gawker for this before the Star. I don't think they had planned on doing their piece until Gawker had prematurely shot their wad leaving a mess all over the city now.
If this was just a Gawker only story though, there wouldn't have been any persecution complex/conspiracy theory baggage. Now it's just another example of The Star's "vendetta" against Ford.

diaspora

If this was just a Gawker only story though, there wouldn't have been any persecution complex/conspiracy theory baggage. Now it's just another example of The Star's "vendetta" against Ford.

I wouldn't relieve the Star of blame, I'd just shit on Gawker first.

In the car before the test the instructor will ask you how many trips you've taken on a 400 series highway in the last 3 months and whether or not those trips were under 5km or 5-15km etc. I think I said 30 times and between 5-15km each trip. I exaggerated a bit as I never drive on the highway. I don't know what the number needs to be to allow you to take the test but it isn't a huge amount.

I aced it.

Best time to go is at 11am because it is after early morning rush hour and just before the lunch rush and you don't have to worry about so many fuckheads on the road.

Did mine in Brampton which is notoriously difficult and unfortunately it really is all about what instructor you get and how their mood is that day. Supposedly early month when they aren't in an end of the month crunch to fill fail quotas and end of the week are also best times to go. Whether this is true or not is anyone's guess.

At the end of the day, if your a good driver then you don't need to be strategizing your test taking. If you have to drive to Barrie or hours away to find an easier test center, then you shouldn't be on the road.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone outside of downtown who drives a car, basically.

There was a map that came out that basically showed that even split, with the burbs going Ford and the core going Smitherman.
Edit:
uH3wIDC.gif
Bah again with this stupid image.

I'm no Ford supporter, but this is exceedingly misleading when it was argued that this doesn't state who won by what margin in each area.

yyzjohn

Banned
I think voters will have Rob Ford fatigue by the time the next election comes around anyway. People are starting to poke holes in his whole "billion dollar savings" crap and i'm sure they'll be another incident that makes him look really bad before the next election. As long as they have someone competent running against him, he'll be voted out.

Top Bottom