• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

NwHwXcg.jpg

source

Roto13

I'd like to go on record as saying I hate the Flickr redesign. I'm actually just automatically downloading everything with DownFlickr because viewing images on the site sucks so much.

Anyone goto Burgerfest? I wish I could have gone today :(

So much delicious burger. So full. Holy Chuck won the day - Beef patty, Bacon patty, double cheese, bacon, bacon sauce, bun. Honourable mention to the Grilled Cheese burger.

Missed out on the Shrimp Burger. Organization was a bit of a cluster. Otherwise, some really delicious meats.

And seriously, who let Lick's in.

I guess that is kind of like how those American Idol style shows let a few terrible singers in on purpose just so people can laugh at them.

The Hard Rock Cafe was right next to the Grilled Cheese burger people. They looked so sad; nobody wanted their chain-restaurant-stuff.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So much delicious burger. So full. Holy Chuck won the day - Beef patty, Bacon patty, double cheese, bacon, bacon sauce, bun. Honourable mention to the Grilled Cheese burger.

Missed out on the Shrimp Burger. Organization was a bit of a cluster. Otherwise, some really delicious meats.

Daaamn, I really wish I could have gone.

jokkir

I wanted to get Holy Chuck but the lineup was way too long. Some guy came out of the restaurant and said "Finally, one full hour..." then left. Didn't want to wait and hour so we left and went to another restaurant instead ><

Divvy

Has anyone been to Momofuku noodle bar yet? I usually don't care about yelp scores, but it's got a pretty awful one.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Hah I told you guys before. Burger's Priest and then Holy Chuck. If you guys don't want to wait, just go to their location downtown.

Grilled Cheese Burger...? Hmmm...

rosarkar

Neo Member
Hey guys, hope I don't come off the wrong way.

I'm participating in Summer Company this year and was wondering if anyone in Toronto still "reads" flyers sent out by mail. Canada Post offered me a quote of $0.14 per flyer (for delivery) and I'd appreciate GAF opinions on the matter before spending what's left of my start-up budget. TIA.

By the way, if you are between the ages of 16-29 and yet to be hired for the summer, you can submit an application (for summer company) by midnight.

scogoth

I'm participating in Summer Company this year and was wondering if anyone in Toronto still "reads" flyers sent out by mail. Canada Post offered me a quote of $0.14 per flyer (for delivery) and I'd appreciate GAF opinions on the matter before spending what's left of my start-up budget. TIA.

By the way, if you are between the ages of 16-29 and yet to be hired for the summer, you can submit an application (for summer company) by midnight.

I personally never do. I might glance at the title and I'm sure some marketer would say that subconsciously affects my buying habits but then that flyer goes straight to the garbage.

Guess it depends on what the business is. 1000 flyers going to cost you $140 which doesn't seem too bad. Although you also have to get the flyers printed so maybe not worth the cost. My mom keeps the ones that are for outlet sales. The rest go in the garbage.

Quadratic

Has anyone been to Momofuku noodle bar yet? I usually don't care about yelp scores, but it's got a pretty awful one.

I've been a few times and had a great time each time.

I wrote about my first trip here

Service might have dipped a bit since. Word was they brought up a lot of NYC staff to help run things until the TO staff got the hang of things. Also during opening they probably wanted to put the best foot forward for all the critics.

Yelp is pretty anecdotal. But then again I take risks on places that have "low" reviews and make up my own mind. People/restaurants can have bad days (even if they wish they don't).

Divvy

I've been a few times and had a great time each time.

I wrote about my first trip here

Service might have dipped a bit since. Word was they brought up a lot of NYC staff to help run things until the TO staff got the hang of things. Also during opening they probably wanted to put the best foot forward for all the critics.

Yelp is pretty anecdotal. But then again I take risks on places that have "low" reviews and make up my own mind. People/restaurants can have bad days (even if they wish they don't).

Cool, that's good to hear; I'm going with friends this week and doing the Fried Chicken thing. I'll probably order some pork buns too.

Yelp is pretty anecdotal. But then again I take risks on places that have "low" reviews and make up my own mind.

Same here. I especially don't pay attention to low reviews when they are about the service. The wait staff probably changes frequently at restaurants so why should I care if someone experienced bad service on a random Saturday? That server may not even work there anymore.

Divvy

How will that CRTC decision affect tab plans? Most providers have switched to those haven't they?

rosarkar

Neo Member
Guess it depends on what the business is. 1000 flyers going to cost you $140 which doesn't seem too bad. Although you also have to get the flyers printed so maybe not worth the cost. My mom keeps the ones that are for outlet sales. The rest go in the garbage.

I personally never do. I might glance at the title and I'm sure some marketer would say that subconsciously affects my buying habits but then that flyer goes straight to the garbage.

Thanks for the opinion guys. Guess it's better to save myself the hassle and try alternate marketing techniques. I'm (trying to) run a door-to-door laundry business. As in, I'll pick up your soiled garments then wash, dry, & fold before delivery. I don't know if Facebook ads would work either. Underestimated how hard it would be to find clients. Ugh.

rosarkar

Neo Member
A step in the right direction, but there is still a ways to go. The "costs" to the Telecoms are just going to be passed down to the consumers.

There was a post on Leddit the other day explaining that mobile costs in Canada are high because of the low customer per tower ratio relative to the US. Cell phone bills are way too expensive, ugh. And it doesn't help that shiny new phones come out every year.

Oh, and this new policy only applies to NEW phone contracts, not our existing ones.

I work in the research industry - my professional opinion is that you're better off investing in a solid social media strategy than a direct mail strategy. Many households - and in many cases, entire apartment buildings - are on "no flyer" lists, and on top of this, most unsolicited mail pieces have a less than 10% read rate - and then, a response rate that varies between 0 and 10% of that 10%. Organizations like War Amps and CAA are able to get away with direct mail solicitation because they provide a quid-prior-to-quo that evokes a desire to reciprocate among particular populations. And, neither organization is demographically or geographically targeting. They'll take any legit membership/donation.

If you are interested in geographic targeting or demographic targeting, social media, done right, will have a much greater ROI - and, can help you manage your marketing budget to do a secondary promo like brand ambassadors/word-of-mouth roll-outs.

Hah I told you guys before. Burger's Priest and then Holy Chuck. If you guys don't want to wait, just go to their location downtown.

Grilled Cheese Burger...? Hmmm...

I don't think Burger's Priest even had a booth.

Rock Lobster had a lobster+beef burger. To me, putting lobster on top of ground beef is an insult to the lobster.

rosarkar

Neo Member
I work in the research industry - my professional opinion is that you're better off investing in a solid social media strategy than a direct mail strategy. Many households - and in many cases, entire apartment buildings - are on "no flyer" lists, and on top of this, most unsolicited mail pieces have a less than 10% read rate - and then, a response rate that varies between 0 and 10% of that 10%. Organizations like War Amps and CAA are able to get away with direct mail solicitation because they provide a quid-prior-to-quo that evokes a desire to reciprocate among particular populations. And, neither organization is demographically or geographically targeting. They'll take any legit membership/donation.

If you are interested in geographic targeting or demographic targeting, social media, done right, will have a much greater ROI - and, can help you manage your marketing budget to do a secondary promo like brand ambassadors/word-of-mouth roll-outs.

Thank you for the suggestion. I really appreciate it. I'll look into Facebook and social media more seriously.

Would it be a good idea to talk to a building's super intendent directly and see what he suggests as well? Maybe offer a cut?

Thank you for the suggestion. I really appreciate it. I'll look into Facebook and social media more seriously.

Would it be a good idea to talk to a building's super intendent directly and see what he suggests as well? Maybe offer a cut?

The supers aren't the guys you would talk to; it would have to be the landlords. And, even if they do allow you in a controlled-entry building, it'd be on shaky ground. There's a general expectation (at least in the city) that the only solicitors that will be allowed in the door are census and voter list enumerators.

If you still like a paper strategy, there are "community boards" around the city where you may be able to post your bill for a short period (I'm not entirely certain that for-profit businesses wouldn't have their flyers taken down, but that's worth checking in to for a small-scale paper distribution).

Some businesses and co-ops also have message boards. Again, not high distribution, but the people who look at those boards are "seeking" rather than "receiving". It seems a semantic difference, but in return percentages it's an important distinction.

What are you trying to sell? (It occurs to me that I should have asked this question first...)

rosarkar

Neo Member
The supers aren't the guys you would talk to; it would have to be the landlords. And, even if they do allow you in a controlled-entry building, it'd be on shaky ground. There's a general expectation (at least in the city) that the only solicitors that will be allowed in the door are census and voter list enumerators.

If you still like a paper strategy, there are "community boards" around the city where you may be able to post your bill for a short period (I'm not entirely certain that for-profit businesses wouldn't have their flyers taken down, but that's worth checking in to for a small-scale paper distribution).

Some businesses and co-ops also have message boards. Again, not high distribution, but the people who look at those boards are "seeking" rather than "receiving". It seems a semantic difference, but in return percentages it's an important distinction.

What are you trying to sell? (It occurs to me that I should have asked this question first...)

Thanks again for all the help. I'm running a door-to-door laundry business. I'll pick up a customer's soiled clothing then wash, dry, and fold before delivery within 48 hours. I only have one customer at the moment (my neighbor). Charging just $30, as I'm trying to build a solid customer base with many good references.

Thanks again for all the help. I'm running a door-to-door laundry business. I'll pick up a customer's soiled clothing then wash, dry, and fold before delivery within 48 hours. I only have one customer at the moment (my neighbor). Charging just $30, as I'm trying to build a solid customer base with many good references.

Cool - good luck. To add to the random flyer complements, a lot of laundromats in the city also have corkboards with random notices. You might also consider that as an option...though bang for your buck is probably better spent elsewhere.

DSFan1970

Headed up to Toronto this week from NYC. Staying near a place called Cabbagetown. Any foodie places you guys recommend?

What's the best DimSum? Burgers? Hot Dogs? I saw the Toronto Taste is on but at 250CAD a ticket it's a bit pricey. Wondering if it is worth it.

Willectro

Banned

Oddly enough, I was actually just looking for a service exactly like this. This is a great idea, and while it's being done, it isn't perfect yet (unless you are a millionaire and cost isn't an issue).

I found a few things that really hurt the existing businesses in Toronto that are already offering these services:

• Terrible websites (this is an understatement). I hate having to dig for the details. I want to know the price per lb/kg, the pickup/delivery methods/arrangements/area, the hours, phone number/email, detergents used (and options, as I am allergic to drier sheets), and what types of items you will take (sheets/towels/etc) right on the front page. Your website should be nice and clean looking (like the finished laundry), and maybe have some pictures of your finished products and the washers used, etc. If the website sucks, I usually assume the business is a bunch of morons whose services will be shitty too.
  • When I called a few of these services, I either couldn't get a hold of anyone or they didn't sound too interested (clearly a laundromat that just advertises the service but isn't really interested in the business).
  • Claim to be laundry and actually end up being dry cleaning.
  • What specialty items will you clean (hockey gear, delicate items, etc)?
  • Will you match socks (not kidding)?

I don't claim to know anything about marketing, but I think your target customers are an interesting demographic. They can't afford/don't have a washer/dryer/maid, but make enough that this service would be feasible. I think you would have to be selective of which apartments you advertise at. Depending on the scale of the business, social media and a web presence seem to be the way to go. Getting a domain and basic wordpress website together is cheap and easy. I'm not too sure what social media services cost or consist of, but that may be something to look into.

Good luck.

Divvy

Headed up to Toronto this week from NYC. Staying near a place called Cabbagetown. Any foodie places you guys recommend?

What's the best DimSum? Burgers? Hot Dogs? I saw the Toronto Taste is on but at 250CAD a ticket it's a bit pricey. Wondering if it is worth it.

Best downtown dimsum is either Rol San if you want affordable, or Lai Wah Heen if you want the expensive upscale kind.

Burgers I would say Burger's Priest, but that's a whole other can of worms you're opening with that question.

Other food: Black Hoof, Cava, Guu, Lee's, Grand Electric, Drake Hotel, Beast, Bahn Mi Boys, The Copper Chimney, Stockyards, King of Dumplings, Caplansky's, Sansotei Ramen, Wvrst, El Trompo, Trevor Kitchen and Bar, various places in the St. Lawrence Market

That's just near the city centre, there are tons more (especially asian stuff) if you are willing to venture farther out.

scogoth

Thanks for the opinion guys. Guess it's better to save myself the hassle and try alternate marketing techniques. I'm (trying to) run a door-to-door laundry business. As in, I'll pick up your soiled garments then wash, dry, & fold before delivery. I don't know if Facebook ads would work either. Underestimated how hard it would be to find clients. Ugh.
Where do you live? Maybe you could post some ads in university residences? I would have loved that service as a student.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Best downtown dimsum is either Rol San if you want affordable, or Lai Wah Heen if you want the expensive upscale kind.

Burgers I would say Burger's Priest, but that's a whole other can of worms you're opening with that question.

Other food: Black Hoof, Cava, Guu, Lee's, Grand Electric, Drake Hotel, Beast, Bahn Mi Boys, The Copper Chimney, Stockyards, King of Dumplings, Caplansky's, Sansotei Ramen, Wvrst, El Trompo, Trevor Kitchen and Bar, various places in the St. Lawrence Market

That's just near the city centre, there are tons more (especially asian stuff) if you are willing to venture farther out.
Divvy....are you my alt?! D:

Maybe I'm your alt?! D: D:

Would add Kinton Ramen and maybe even Manpuku (love that Asahi Black)

I'm not going to bore you with a cross-post, but I'm looking for any career advise in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576057

What's interesting is that one of the guys I know on facebook had this reply "My suggestion is that you get out of one of the poorest software job markets in the developed world".

Is Toronto that much of a shithole when it comes to programming?

Top Bottom