• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know too much about Canadian politics, but wouldn't becoming Mayor be a big downgrade for Olivia Chow?
She could probably do more as Mayor of Toronto than as a member of the opposition (or worse, if Trudeau manages to be the next Obama
lol
) in Federal government.

38MWgVZ.jpg

source

diaspora

I don't know too much about Canadian politics, but wouldn't becoming Mayor be a big downgrade for Olivia Chow?

It wouldn't be particularly great for the city either.

How does Rob Ford have a base :(

Smitherman and his campaign were hot garbage which helped Ford win in the first place. Ford having a base now is from how there's really nobody worth replacing him with except for maybe John Tory.

explodet

It was always so odd going into an elevator in a building up north and traveling from the 12th to the 15th floor.

An entire 2 floors gone, just like that. Poof.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Can't non-asians just live in those units? I guess it's a property value thing maybe.

Still, it already annoys me that my building doesn't have a fourth floor, which is weird because it has a 13th floor.

Anyone use ING Direct? I've been with Scotia for my entire life but I'm tired of the fees. ING has that $100 for new thrive accounts thing going on and it seems like there really are no catches and no fees for pretty much everything. Wondering what peoples experiences are with them if any? Only very tiny issue is the closest ATM location is about 4km away vs .5km with Scotia. Only reason I'd need an ATM is to make a cash deposit which is rare as I almost never have cash. Maybe a 2-3 time a year thing.

Anyone use ING Direct? I've been with Scotia for my entire life but I'm tired of the fees. ING has that $100 for new thrive accounts thing going on and it seems like there really are no catches and no fees for pretty much everything. Wondering what peoples experiences are with them if any? Only very tiny issue is the closest ATM location is about 4km away vs .5km with Scotia. Only reason I'd need an ATM is to make a cash deposit which is rare as I almost never have cash. Maybe a 2-3 time a year thing.

I think Scotia recently bought ING.

But anyway...ING works better if it's tied to a "standard" bank account. As in, you transfer funds to and from your ING account(s) from your chequing or savings account at, say, RBC.

Their interest rates are better than the big five, but they've been pretty low lately because of the rates held by the Bank of Canada.

Their standard account has no fees and no minimums, and you can transfer funds with no fees, set up automatic savings plans, etc. The catch that I have found is that it takes ING the full legal allotment of three to five business days to clear any transfer into or out of your account. If you are a planner who always has that kind of time to move money, then it's not a catch and you're golden.

I've been banking with ING for ...so long I forget now... and I've never had them screw up or encountered an issue.

I think Scotia recently bought ING.

But anyway...ING works better if it's tied to a "standard" bank account. As in, you transfer funds to and from your ING account(s) from your chequing or savings account at, say, RBC.

Their interest rates are better than the big five, but they've been pretty low lately because of the rates held by the Bank of Canada.

Their standard account has no fees and no minimums, and you can transfer funds with no fees, set up automatic savings plans, etc. The catch that I have found is that it takes ING the full legal allotment of three to five business days to clear any transfer into or out of your account. If you are a planner who always has that kind of time to move money, then it's not a catch and you're golden.

I've been banking with ING for ...so long I forget now... and I've never had them screw up or encountered an issue.
Thanks. Didn't know Scotia bought them. Wonder how that will affect things there in the future. I don't plan on getting rid of my Scotia account but I would use the ING account as a supplement account for things that I pay fees for with Scotia. A free $125 for this promo (I think I get an extra $25 if I use a referral orange key?) will make it worthwhile regardless.

I am someone who plans and budgets fairly well in advance so the transfer times shouldn't be an issue for me at all.

Azih

The latest mockup for the Frank Gehry designed buildings in the entertainment district:

kbvdI1Y.jpg

article from BlogTO

Please get this built without any changes..... please!

I like it a lot. Would at least get Toronto the crown for most interesting building in the GTA back from Mississauga lol.

The objections are dumb, height restriction? This is in an area of a city that actually has good transit and access to services. Pack more people in!, and the old buildings in the area aren't really all that great. I respect the desire to preserve heritage buildings but the replacement would be just damn pretty.

Pakkidis

As a Richmond Hill resident, this is the first I'm hearing about this. Wouldn't surprise me though, place is becoming more and more Asian as the years go by.

Tiktaalik

Biggest, most important city in Canada and 4th largest in NA. That's a big step up from back bench opposition MP.

Although from my understanding the Mayor of Toronto doesn't have a great deal of actual direct powers?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Aside from her being NDP, I'm not sure why some people dislike Olivia Chow so feverently.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Biggest, most important city in Canada and 4th largest in NA. That's a big step up from back bench opposition MP.

Although from my understanding the Mayor of Toronto doesn't have a great deal of actual direct powers?

There really is very little power in the position itself. The 'power' comes from the platform you're given. If you lose the support of the entire council though, ala Ford, you are basically a figure head only.

So now we have Sportsnet 360 and Sportsnet One.

Does the same group who does the branding for Microsoft handle Sportsnet as well?

zroid

Banned
If there are any steak fans here, you might be happy to know Ruth's Chris' annual gift card promo is back from June 17th - 23rd. You can purchase $75 gift cards for $48 each. If it's like previous years, then the only restriction I believe is they limit you to one card per customer per visit. $75 is probably enough for a decent meal, however.

The cards will be valid at either Toronto (downtown) or Mississauga (outside Sq1) locations.

Top Bottom