• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Boogie

of course they do. you dont find this odd? you dont think this is going to raise lots of questions from the public? this is incredibly poor timing by the police.

I think you are going to have to better articulate WHY you think this is "incredibly poor timing by the police."

Because for you to simply make that assertion when you don't know anything about the context, scope, or background of the investigation, makes it look like you are talking out your ass.

Boogie

On the off-chance the police actually managed to land the video in that bunch of stuff, would they actually release it? or would someone (either in the police or government) find a way to make it quietly disappear?

If an electronic device was seized that had evidence in relation to whatever offence the police are investigating, it would be kept by police until the end of trial. If it was found not to contain any evidence in relation to the offence being investigated, it could be given back to the owner before that.

If "the video" was in itself related to the offenses being investigated (which I personally doubt), the video would not be released to the public because that would potentially taint the investigation for trial.

If "the video" is not related specifically to the offences, it would not be released to the public because that would be a breach of the owner's privacy: the police publishing a private video on a device seized from a person in an investigation, which had nothing to do with the evidence the police gathered for that investigation? No, I don't think so.

That's not to say that's it's impossible the video won't "accidentally" leak, but given the sensitive nature of the context of all of this, I would hope that TPS is being disciplined enough to do the exhibits strictly by the book.

No, if the video is seized by police (and that's still a big assumption here folks) it will come out at trial, or not at all, I think.

Azih

Asked and answered. So unless the police go after Ford they won't release any such video (if due process is followed).

Dyno

I think you are going to have to better articulate WHY you think this is "incredibly poor timing by the police."

Because for you to simply make that assertion when you don't know anything about the context, scope, or background of the investigation, makes it look like you are talking out your ass.

So much like the Rob Ford video, unless there is absolute proof then the police action is 0% fishy. Once there is proof, then we can say it's 100% fishy.

The ole Black n' White Defense.

haha Boogie has a sensor that goes off in his head any time anyone mentions the words "police", "RCMP" or "arrests" in this thread.
I actually like it. I've got some good insight from him over time. I don't always agree with police actions but they are just people like everyone else. Some are good and some are bad.

In this case, it was probably a case developed over a very long time so I doubt it's related to Ford.

I've mentioned my concerns about the timing of arrests or media briefings in the past so I can see why someone might wonder though.

Zips

If an electronic device was seized that had evidence in relation to whatever offence the police are investigating, it would be kept by police until the end of trial. If it was found not to contain any evidence in relation to the offence being investigated, it could be given back to the owner before that.

If "the video" was in itself related to the offenses being investigated (which I personally doubt), the video would not be released to the public because that would potentially taint the investigation for trial.

If "the video" is not related specifically to the offences, it would not be released to the public because that would be a breach of the owner's privacy: the police publishing a private video on a device seized from a person in an investigation, which had nothing to do with the evidence the police gathered for that investigation? No, I don't think so.

That's not to say that's it's impossible the video won't "accidentally" leak, but given the sensitive nature of the context of all of this, I would hope that TPS is being disciplined enough to do the exhibits strictly by the book.

No, if the video is seized by police (and that's still a big assumption here folks) it will come out at trial, or not at all, I think.

I figured it would be something like that at least, but felt it was worth asking.

Oh to dream of getting to see that video.

thabiz

why is the raid happening mere weeks after this very address was published in an article linking Rob Ford to smoking crack? if this has been in the works for awhile, then yes, this is incredibly poor timing. it raises red flags. it looks suspicious based on the information we know, and who it pertains to.

why not a couple of weeks earlier? oh yeah, the whole breaking scandal. did they delay it then for fear of public perception? why not wait a few more weeks? are all these people suddenly going to get wind of this raid and bolt?

Now we have Rob Ford claiming he didnt know about the raids. his cable was out. BULLSHIT!
Asked about the raids, he said, “I have no idea what you are talking about.”

He said he hadn’t spoken to police about the raids and had no response to a question of whether he would be at Police Chief Bill Blair’s noon news conference.

Zips

Personally, I doubt that Ford would have the influence over the police to have them go and arrange a thing like this to destroy evidence or arrest people involved to get rid of them, or something.

So the raid is: A) Legit and unrelated, B) Legit but may be keeping an eye out for stuff related to Ford, or C) Not legit and organized by someone with more influence than Ford. I'm sure there are other possibilities.

C is pretty conspiracy theory-ish, so A or B are most likely. It seems like not even Conservative party members want to be associated with him lately so I would also doubt anyone is really helping him.

Boogie

why is the raid happening mere weeks after this very address was published in an article linking Rob Ford to smoking crack? if this has been in the works for awhile, then yes, this is incredibly poor timing. it raises red flags. it looks suspicious based on the information we know, and who it pertains to.

why not a couple of weeks earlier? oh yeah, the whole breaking scandal. did they delay it then for fear of public perception? why not wait a few more weeks? are all these people suddenly going to get wind of this raid and bolt?

Now we have Rob Ford claiming he didnt know about the raids. his cable was out. BULLSHIT!

What makes it "suspicious" or "poor timing" that raids are occurring a full month after the Rob Ford scandal broke?

Again, you are simply asserting that the timing *is* suspicious, not explaining why. "It's suspicious because it's happening weeks after the scandal broke, which is suspicious". It's very circular and quite baseless when there is currently no knowledge of what these raids are even really about.

Speaking personally, it is almost *always* the case that speculation and suspicion about the timing of police takedowns is pure fantasy and tinfoil hattery. Case in point, people thinking that the via rail terrorist plot arrests were timed to coincide with the Conservatives pushing anti-terrorism legislation.

There are two factors which generally affect the timing for takedowns: how the timing will affect the prospects for collecting evidence, and public safety concerns. Anything beyond that at this point is pure speculation.

CTV News is reporting that police knew about the existence of the crack tape weeks before Gawker and The Star broke the story. So much for this being a Toronto Star conspiracy.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
CTV News is reporting that police knew about the existence of the crack tape weeks before Gawker and The Star broke the story. So much for this being a Toronto Star conspiracy.

Sweet now that hot reporter who put her name on the line saying she saw the tape won't be fired!

Yes I find her hot, come at me!

Azih

So Boogie, if the police find a video (legally seized of course) with some dude smoking crack in the company of crack dealers and one of the officers recognizes said dude, what would the police DO with that information? Like would they pick up that guy and charge him for possession?

yyzjohn

Banned
What makes it "suspicious" or "poor timing" that raids are occurring a full month after the Rob Ford scandal broke?

Again, you are simply asserting that the timing *is* suspicious, not explaining why. "It's suspicious because it's happening weeks after the scandal broke, which is suspicious". It's very circular and quite baseless when there is currently no knowledge of what these raids are even really about.

Speaking personally, it is almost *always* the case that speculation and suspicion about the timing of police takedowns is pure fantasy and tinfoil hattery. Case in point, people thinking that the via rail terrorist plot arrests were timed to coincide with the Conservatives pushing anti-terrorism legislation.

There are two factors which generally affect the timing for takedowns: how the timing will affect the prospects for collecting evidence, and public safety concerns. Anything beyond that at this point is pure speculation.

Blair said something to the effect that he was worried the reporting of the building location would jeopardize the police investigation. The paper gave out the address of where they thought the video was being kept, maybe the police had to move in faster then they wanted because that info was made public.

Blackhead

Redarse
Blair said something to the effect that he was worried the reporting of the building location would jeopardize the police investigation. The paper gave out the address of where they thought the video was being kept, maybe the police had to move in faster then they wanted because that info was made public.
Where did he say that?

Boogie

So Boogie, if the police find a video (legally seized of course) with some dude smoking crack in the company of crack dealers and one of the officers recognizes said dude, what would the police DO with that information? Like would they pick up that guy and charge him for possession?

I can't imagine laying a possession charge based on a video of someone smoking up. To me, it's absurd and would never stick.

In my mind, the video has great public interest value, but probably almost no evidentiary value, unless I'm missing something. (like some sort of extortion charge against the video owners if they tried to get money out of Ford, or if there could be some sort of breach of trust charge against Ford, but those seem like a stretch to me.)

Boogie

Hmm, interesting.

is it common practice to seize all cell phones and the cell phones of the related family?

In drug/weapons trafficking investigations? Absolutely.

yyzjohn

Banned
I do find it strange that Blair wouldn't rule out if this had anything to do with Ford. He's asked directly if Ford is implicated and he says "all the evidence will come out in court". A simple 'no' would suffice Chief.

yyzjohn

Banned
I don't see any mention of the paper there. Seems to be talking about stopping leaks from his own force.

That wasn't the original quote I saw, the writer of the liveblog is just paraphrasing there. Have to see the full video and Q&A with Blair to see exactly what was said and what he's referring to. Could be nothing.

Dyno

Boogie

There's an article up.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/exclus...ed-to-ford-weeks-before-story-broke-1.1323657

The police knew and were investigating. They hit both the house in the picture, the apartment on Dixon, and many other places.

It's a small, small world...

I don't see anything saying they hit the Windsor Drive house, but rather they hit the house of one of the men who was in the picture.

but yeah, the wiretap bit is where things could get really juicy, if they were up on wires on their drug investigation, and then all of a sudden the targets start talking about this Rob Ford video....I can only imagine the "wtf holy crap" factor of what they might have learned from that.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ford usually votes no on everything, unless it's a new football field, or complex for his team. Doug Ford and Doug Holyday don't always follow him, leaving him on a hilarious 34-1 island, but they did vote with him on this.

It's stupid as fuck. He votes no on everything because of his twisted sense of principle, rather than actually addressing each matter on its own.

yyzjohn

Banned
Ford usually votes no on everything, unless it's a new football field, or complex for his team. Doug Ford and Doug Holyday don't always follow him, leaving him on a hilarious 34-1 island, but they did vote with him on this.

It's stupid as fuck. He votes no on everything because of his twisted sense of principle, rather than actually addressing each matter on its own.

It actually said the 2 Doug's voted against Rob again this time. They were in favor of the funding.

Rear ended today, after spending the bulk of the day on the subway going to different recruiters talking about shit that I feel like is going nowhere.

When are we meeting up. I honestly need to drink.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Rear ended today, after spending the bulk of the day on the subway going to different recruiters talking about shit that I feel like is going nowhere.

When are we meeting up. I honestly need to drink.
Damn sorry to hear this. Hope things work out for ya. Maybe try a job with the airport?

EZs5l3b.jpg

source

Oppo

Think I might check out the free Yonge/Dundas concerts tonight.

Hayden @ 7:30
The National @ 9:10

Anyone know what the drinking set up is like YDS for NXNE? I'm a little hesitant

Roto13

Blargh.

PSN wouldn't accept either of my credit cards, both of which worked with it before.

Went to Game Centre to get PSN cards. They can only sell them with cash for some reason. Didn't have any on me.

Shoppers next to Game Centre was out.

HMV on Bloor near Yonge apparently doesn't have any game stuff at all any more, beyond tiny pictures of controllers on some of their signs.

Had to pay the stupid ATM fee to withdraw money and go back to Game Centre. All of this for something I should be able to do without leaving home.

Lexxism

Hey guys. Any need tips for selling a PS3? What's the best approach should I do? Is there a place that we can go to test the console? I don't want to go to someone's house or the buyer going to my house. Thanks for answering.

Quick

Banned
Blargh.

PSN wouldn't accept either of my credit cards, both of which worked with it before.

Went to Game Centre to get PSN cards. They can only sell them with cash for some reason. Didn't have any on me.

Shoppers next to Game Centre was out.

HMV on Bloor near Yonge apparently doesn't have any game stuff at all any more, beyond tiny pictures of controllers on some of their signs.

Had to pay the stupid ATM fee to withdraw money and go back to Game Centre. All of this for something I should be able to do without leaving home.

No EB, Future Shop, or Best Buy nearby?

jl4855

Hey guys. Any need tips for selling a PS3? What's the best approach should I do? Is there a place that we can go to test the console? I don't want to go to someone's house or the buyer going to my house. Thanks for answering.

consoles are tricky as the buyer will likely need to see it plugged in and loaded up before you start. i've done it before where you bring a monitor and the console to a public place (office building lobby, public library, community centre) with an electric outlet just so they can see it plugged in and loaded up.

if you know a buddy with a condo just go use his party / common room.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
So apparently Nintendo forgot to call Scarborough Town Centre to arrange the Animal Crossing event and it's probably going to be in a different location tomorrow.

Also, The Last of Us was sold out at the stores that I tried.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
So apparently Nintendo forgot to call Scarborough Town Centre to arrange the Animal Crossing event and it's probably going to be in a different location tomorrow.

Also, The Last of Us was sold out at the stores that I tried.
I was at the ebgames at scarberia yesterday and there were TONS...

Top Bottom