• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

zroid

Banned
What's that, guys? Can't hear you over the sound of all these games I've been playing for the last 5 hours

I've only been playing Animal Crossing

I go to see a movie and all hell breaks loose.....idiots going over 100 on the 400 in near total darkness with potential flooding *facepalm*

Had to drop my GF off at Downsview and wait with her for a shuttle bus

Drive back to Thornhill and the Steeles border is all dark on the Toronto side and all fine on the Vaughan side

CIty above Toronto!

I go to see a movie and all hell breaks loose.....idiots going over 100 on the 400 in near total darkness with potential flooding *facepalm*

Had to drop my GF off at Downsview and wait with her for a shuttle bus

Drive back to Thornhill and the Steeles border is all dark on the Toronto side and all fine on the Vaughan side

CIty above Toronto!
i agree with this post!

Anony

north york power is back

if what ppl saying about this being a 'ministorm' is true, better stock up on a bit of food tomorrow

I remember one night when Ottawa lost power while I was on the bus, never seen a city like that.

Stay safe Toronto-GAF, Harper's thinking of you!

i agree with this post!

Picked up my GF at Finch station at 5:45
We were gonna go to Duffs at Bathurst and Rutherford and then to Silver City Richmond Hill to see a movie

Traffic lights kept going down on Yonge so we decided to change plans and go to All Star Wings and then Colossus for a later showing of the movie

Leave the movie at 10:30 or so, I check my phone and see TTC is down......my GF is not amused

Drive on the 400 to the 401 (holy shit there are a fuck ton of transport trucks stuck in the westbound lanes and it is dark and some people still think they can go 120 =/) to the Allen and head to Downsview to figure out what to do

Told there are shuttle buses and we just miss one so I wait with her for half an hour for another one to come by

Drive home and all power seems to be out along Dufferin to Steeles =/

Edit - Anyone in the Dundas and Ossington area? How bad is it there

I never ever want to drive during a blackout while it's raining and full of traffic ever again. I have never been more scared in my life. There were so many times I thought some guy was going hit me from the side.

whitehawk

Banned
Man, looks like I completely missed the storm. (Almost). Went to go to a friends house around 6pm. On the bus ride we went through one road where the water was so high everyone slowed down. When I looked outside I felt like I was in a boat all of a sudden. Not high enough to leak into the bus apparently, but almost. Other than that though, I wasn't affected at all.

Kind of wish I put on my swim trunks and ran around the city.

Bah, besides the one string of closures, subway is working fine. I'm at work. No rain day. :(

Did they catch the origami killer?

Did anything show up on the Midnight Channel?

jl4855

some awful traffic goign south on bayview this morning. 30 mins from 401 to york mills. not a great day to do construction, guys!

Liberty4all

Banned
puy9Uyp.jpg

I can't imagine the salty tears if it were to happen.

edit: any word on more rainocolypse today or are we good now

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Thanks HR, today is a casual day...they announce it at 6:30am when only directors and presidents are the only people who have access to email outside the building.

Willectro

Banned
Luckily for the TTC, the Go Train flood and power outages throughout the city will keep the heat off them for the most part. That was a mess though.

BadWolf

Subway is working fine between Jane and Kennedy.

There are shuttle buses running from Kippling to Jane (they make a stop at Islington).

Got to work no prob (live in Mississauga, work close to Main station).

IISANDERII

Was listening to The Edge this morning and they were listing some hilarious responses on twitter to Rob Ford's rain warning. I'm on my phone so i can't do link.

thabiz

and where is our great mayor during all this? why havent we seen or heard from him? Nenshi would be personally pulling those people of the GO train.

and where is our great mayor during all this? why havent we seen or heard from him? Nenshi would be personally pulling those people of the GO train.

There was a press release from the city, but yeah, I haven't seen anything directly from him. Seems strange in a situation like this.

Maybe I missed something.

Luckily for the TTC, the Go Train flood and power outages throughout the city will keep the heat off them for the most part. That was a mess though.

I think the TTC did a pretty damn good job keeping everything under control last night and most of the system is up and running this morning.

Roto13

I do not like that the automatic answer to this question isn't "off smoking crack."

I do not like it one bit.

sammich

Anyone in the Etobicoke area here(Kipling/islington station)? Wondering if power is back on. Power went off for me around 6 last night, left this morning at 7(got up late) and it was still off. It was really eerie looking out my balcony and seeing just plain darkness, not a single light on anywhere. Well other than the odd car.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Anyone in the Etobicoke area here(Kipling/islington station)? Wondering if power is back on. Power went off for me around 6 last night, left this morning at 7(got up late) and it was still off. It was really eerie looking out my balcony and seeing just plain darkness, not a single light on anywhere. Well other than the odd car.

im at islington and lakeshore, power is up

just called a store @ kipling and dundas and they don't have power

sammich

im at islington and lakeshore, power is up

just called a store @ kipling and dundas and they don't have power

bloody hell..

Thanks Dopey. I usually get off the Gardiner at Islington when i head home, hopefully everything will be fine by then or its going to take me an hour just to go down that stretch. Im at dundas/bloor. So i assume no power for me still.

Willectro

Banned
I think the TTC did a pretty damn good job keeping everything under control last night and most of the system is up and running this morning.

Really? Because I had to walk over an hour in the rain (which still isn't as bad as many people had it) because "keeping everything under control" meant closing almost everything. Having shuttle buses was a joke. I walked up Yonge from Dundas for about 30 minutes and saw 1 bus. I realize this isn't entirely the TTC's fault because Toronto's infrastructure sucks, and that was a crazy amount of rain, but is no consideration given to preventing flooding in subway stations? I mean they are underground ffs. At a minimum, once a year this is going to be a serious issue (spring thaw / massive rainfall like last night). Hydro is a joke too. Seems like an extremely weak system.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
bloody hell..

Thanks Dopey. I usually get off the Gardiner at Islington when i head home, hopefully everything will be fine by then or its going to take me an hour just to go down that stretch. Im at dundas/bloor. So i assume no power for me still.

Well it was a store at six points plaza, so its a good assumption

Top Bottom