• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
This rain needs to stop teasing, either come down now or move the hell outta the way and let the sunshine and humidity take over.

Toronto Hydro press release:

TORONTO, July 9, 2013 /CNW/ - Toronto Hydro-Electric System Limited (Toronto Hydro) is asking all customers to conserve electricity while crews work to restore power to remaining customers. Approximately 20,000 customers still remain without power in the areas bounded by Dundas Street South to Valermo Drive; The West Mall East to Stephen Drive, and Ormskirk Avenue south to The Queensway; South Kingsway East to Windermere Avenue. In addition, due to a Hydro One request to reduce load we have involuntarily removed supply to an additional 30,000 customers to keep the system stabilized. These customers are in the west end area of the city.

The main issue remains a lack of supply from a Hydro One station in Toronto that is out of service due to flooding. Hydro One has advised power is expected to be restored by tomorrow morning.

Toronto Hydro will activate peaksaver PLUS for approximately 70,000 customers to help manage demand and alleviate stress on the system. By participating, thousands of Torontonians are helping to reduce strain on the electricity grid during peak periods.

In response to the increased demand for electricity, Toronto Hydro is adjusting its air conditioning thermostats to operate two degrees warmer and at minimum levels in unoccupied areas. In addition, all non-essential lighting is being turned off.

Here are some tips to help bring Torontonians back online:

Turn off all non-essential lighting.
Set air conditioner thermostats at 25 C and raise the setting even higher if you're not going to be home.
Close curtains and blinds to keep out the hot summer sun.
Cook outdoors on the barbeque or use a microwave oven.
Save other heat-producing activities such as clothes drying and dishwashing for cooler evening hours. Wait until 8 p.m.
Businesses should keep their doors closed when air conditioners are running.

Visit the Toronto Hydro website for more tips on how to conserve torontohydro.com/smartsummer

Customers who do not live in the west end and are without power should call our Lights Out line at 416-542-8000 to report their outage.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1196397/50-000-customers-now-without-power

Rolling blackouts for Toronto? Shock @ infrastructure failure last night during the storm?

But will TO politicians do the right thing and raise taxes to ensure this stuff doesn't happen again? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE

Updates:

TORONTO, July 9, 2013 /CNW/ - Approximately 70,000 customers are without power across Toronto. Due to the current instability of the electrical system, Toronto Hydro-Electric System Limited (Toronto Hydro) has been asked to shed load by Hydro One and 50,000 customers have been affected. Load shedding, or planned rotating outages, will continue throughout the afternoon.

In addition, approximately 20,000 customers still remain without power in the areas bounded by Dundas Street South to Valermo Drive; The West Mall East to Stephen Drive, and Ormskirk Avenue south to The Queensway; South Kingsway East to Windermere Avenue. This is as a result of Hydro One's Manby station, which still remains out of service due to flooding. Hydro One has advised power is expected to be restored by tomorrow morning.

Electricity conservation is crucial at this time to ensure the stability of the system. Customers are reminded to conserve electricity where possible by turning off non-essential appliances or lights, and setting your air conditioner thermostats at 25 C and raising the setting even higher if you're not going to be home.

For more tips on how to conserve visit torontohydro.com/smartsummer

Customers in the following areas are affected by load shedding or planned rotating outages.

North of Nassau Street, south to King Street West; West of Shaw Street, east of Charlotte Street.
South of St. Clair Ave West, south to Queen Street West; west of Jane Street east to Spadina Avenue
Dundas St West to Lake Ontario; Roncesvalles Ave east to Spadina Avenue.
Old Weston Road, south to Queen Street West; Sunnyside Avenue, east to Lansdowne Avenue

If customers are within these areas, Toronto Hydro is aware they are experience a power outage so there is no need to contact our power out line.

Also, Toronto Hydro supply has been restored to TTC stations (Kipling to Jane).

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1196483/70-000-customers-remain-without-power

Pizza pizza was closed even though there was power at Parkside. Bah!
Grabbed subs and now I'm sweltering inside a dark apartment.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
One guy I work with told me his girlfriend was told not to come into work today and she was happy to take the day off. She then called him and told him they lost power this morning and she was home and bored. :lol

On the plus side, a lot of people must have stayed home today because the 401 was a lot faster than normal on my way home today. :)

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
One guy I work with told me his girlfriend was told not to come into work today and she was happy to take the day off. She then called him and told him they lost power this morning and she was home and bored. :lol

On the plus side, a lot of people must have stayed home today because the 401 was a lot faster than normal on my way home today. :)

Wonderland was basically empty.

Fuck. Isn't a rolling power outage eventually supposed to roll on to another area? We've HAD no power in the high park area for six hours because they shut it off. Move it to another area for a few hours!

The drive to work in the morning was brutal. A bunch of traffic lights in a row weren't working on Leslie so it was backing everyone up the whole time. Thank gadsss I left 15 mins earlier than the early time I usually leave. Got there just in time.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The drive to work in the morning was brutal. A bunch of traffic lights in a row weren't working on Leslie so it was backing everyone up the whole time. Thank gadsss I left 15 mins earlier than the early time I usually leave. Got there just in time.

drive to work was awesome! drive back sucked

Fuzzy

Yeah, lights along Belfield Rd were out this morning from Kipling to Hwy 27. Everyone was smart enough to treat them as a 4-way stop except one moron who drove straight through Martin Grove without even slowing down. He's lucky there were no cars crossing the other way.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Yeah, lights along Belfield Rd were out this morning from Kipling to Hwy 27. Everyone was smart enough to treat them as a 4-way stop except one moron who drove straight through Martin Grove without even slowing down. He's lucky there were no cars crossing the other way.

I never understand these idiots. I can maybe understand them being confused since the light isn't working, BUT IT'S FLASHING RED! RED MEANS STOP!

yeah there were some idiots trying to squeeze in behind someone without really stopping and backing people up more just to save themselves literally 1 minute or less. Most people handled it well which was nice.

Fuzzy

I never understand these idiots. I can maybe understand them being confused since the light isn't working, BUT IT'S FLASHING RED! RED MEANS STOP!
They weren't flashing, they were completely out. He was still a moron though.

The technique for handling large intersection: be in the middle lane, use your left and right flanks as protection, stop, and then if they move, you move.

cLpD8q0.png

cbox

Balls, Kipling station is still flooded and I already took one day off... And the routes into the city from Mississauga are still flooded. Great.

I'm afraid to even get in my car and attempt to drive to work tomorrow morning, I think I'll start shaking if I have to wait in another 5 hours of traffic :|

Grats to those who got power though!

Sober

This rain needs to show up. I'm not feeling like playing baseball tonight.
It cooled off a bit but it's still humid AS FUCK. I am not mowing the lawn at all until the humidity fucks off. It can grow a foot high for all I care. Well, no rain so it hasn't grown much over two weeks.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So I didn't play my game anyways. The power didn't work at the ballpark and it was a late game so we couldn't turn on the lights to play.

What a waste of my time.

Top Bottom