• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

I went to the Game On exhibit at the OSC today. Pretty cool. But felt like maybe I should have gone sooner, we came across a few busted controllers, a pinball or arcade machine that was out of order... some of this stuff was undoubtedly in better shape at the beginning of the exhibit, so that was a bit disappointing. A couple of the Saturn Bomberman controllers weren't working. Also tried to play Child of Eden on the projector screen but the setup was no good, the lighting in the exhibit wasn't conducive to the experience (the sensor kept randomly dropping me, had trouble seeing people in front of it).

That first wall you walk along, though, with the history of game systems, each system playable... damn, that was impressive. I had never seen a couple of them, like the MSX, in person before. And opposite of that wall, a small collection of genre evolutions, like shooters and racing games. It was wild being able to jump back and forth between stuff like Galaga and Trigger Heart Exelica. But the best part was the evolution of Street Fighter. The original Street Fighter, SFII, Third Strike, and SFIV, all in a row. My friend and I went along the wall and played a match in each one. A really cool experience (and also proof positive that Third Strike is god tier; some of the best sprite work and animations ever).

The game that impressed me the most was this Japanese game I had never heard of before, Umihara Kawase for Super Famicom. You have a fishing line that is basically a grappling hook, you can shoot it and attach to surfaces and swing around and use the down direction button to reel yourself in to cross gaps and such. It was really cute, and the mechanics were clever. The physics made it feel quite modern. So overall the exhibit was quite interesting, a major nostalgia trip in one context, but also educational; discovered some games I hadn't even seen before.

Goddamn did that Virtuasphere look embarrassing, though. No better than the stuff I saw at Disneyland when I was a kid. Future tech? OSC plz. We even overheard people walking by saying "they really should have had the Occulus Rift here" LOL.

The game that impressed me the most was this Japanese game I had never heard of before, Umihara Kawase for Super Famicom. You have a fishing line that is basically a grappling hook, you can shoot it and attach to surfaces and swing around and use the down direction button to reel yourself in to cross gaps and such. It was really cute, and the mechanics were clever. The physics made it feel quite modern. So overall the exhibit was quite interesting, a major nostalgia trip in one context, but also educational; discovered some games I hadn't even seen before.
Oh wow, they have that game over there? I heard about it from Game centre cx and wanted to check it out. Really need to go to Game On before it's over.

Roto13

There's a new one of those for 3DS, incidentally. Japan only, of course.

zroid

Banned
Haha, I said the same thing a couple months ago.

Went to OSC for Game On today. Was disappointed that I only got 2 StreetPasses despite the place being packed. The highlight for me was definitely Umihara Kawase!

I had actually heard about it though, so when I saw it there my eyes went wide.

Oppo

Oh wow, they have that game over there? I heard about it from Game centre cx and wanted to check it out. Really need to go to Game On before it's over.

Seriously, go. It's extremely well curated.

I mean they had people wandering around in lab coats (Sci Centre staff) with Move controllers, recruiting for games of Johann Sebastian Joust.

They would have had a Rift there if the timing was right, I'm sure of it.

You're not part of any of these guys yet?

Already got Rogue Legacy but may get critter crunch
LOL. Haven't done PC things before. Trying to find a job and get steady income first before I try indie development again, and hopefully since I won't be using that as a way of making money, I can make some really stupid ideas that will get people to look at the game...

...like Mount Your Friends, which is another indie game done in Toronto (actually started at a TOJam). That game is live on XBLIG and is going through Steam Greenlight.

scogoth

Boy did I pick a good month to move to an apartment with no air conditioning. Window units are just dying trying to cool my place.

Hot as balls and with aircons barely cutting through it, wouldn't be surprised if we get blackouts this week.

holy fuck, this heat.

I am indoors and melting. How is this possible!

Boy did I pick a good month to move to an apartment with no air conditioning. Window units are just dying trying to cool my place.

My hydro bill is going to be like a million dollars.

2B5NdGl.jpg

"Enjoy this beautiful weather while it lasts, big cool-down coming this weekend as we drop to 31."

Liberty4all

Banned
As I said in the 99 degrees thread:

It's 31 Celcius (87.8 f) here in Toronto but with humidity it feels like 39 (102.20 f). 53 percent humidity.

I'm MELTING MELLLTTTINNNNNNNNGGGGGG

Honestly I don't know how you southerners handle this type of humidity for months on end. I think I'd want to kill myself if I had to deal with more than 3 weeks a year of this shit.

Oh joy it's going up to 41 with humidity ( 105.80 f) for the rush hour ride home in a fucking unconditioned streetcar.

I can't WAIT to get home to my air conditioned oasis. Hell with this heat the AC is barely keeping up at home. Here at the office it's pretty much a joke as we are in a heritage building .... we call my boss's office "the sauna".

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The heat is making work go so much slower. I'm working outside and at times on a roof and the heat is so bad that I have to come down and cool off half way between regular breaks. At least my "farmer's tan" is coming in nicely. :p

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Soon I put on my baseball uniform and go out into this heat.

If I don't make it back make sure Kuro doesn't talk about burgers anymore.

Can you guys please move to Nunavut already and stop complaining about the heat every 5 seconds.

Beach. Bikinis. Boobs. Go.

Ok I give Fuzzy immunity to complain since working on a roof in this heat would be pretty bad.

John Blade

Damm...this heatwave is killing me. Well, at least I can on the air conditioner at work so I am not sweating like hell. Kinda surprise to saw Mag Ruffman coming into our showroom to buy some supply. Kinda feel surprise to see her when she came into the showroom and have some small talk with her and her husband. Nice lady.

Oppo

So glad I have AC now. I wonder if it's running, then I go outside and its like OH MAN, yes it's running.

That said I still punished myself with a few hours of Hotline Miami on the Vita in the backyard, while my forehead watered the garden.

Top Bottom