• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Quick

Banned
tumblr_mewgfsicbe1qkk6oy.gif

IT RAINED HERE.

For like a couple of minutes. :(

Anony

i just biked 14km
when i left it was 29, when i came back, it was 34
it was hot, but it wasnt THAT bad, it wasnt really that humid either
the wind certainly helped because when there was no wind, i just felt this heat wave around my entire body

anyways, too much whining about the heat

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Where are they planning to extend the subway anyway? Remove the LRT to put in subways?
Replace the SRT that currently runs from Kennedy station to Scarborough Town Centre with a subway that will run a bit further north and end at Sheppard. It's three extra stops on the East end of the Bloor/Danforth line.

Quick

Banned
ttc_subway_route_map.gif

Jumping on the subway line discussion briefly, I'm not knowledgeable enough on the subject to properly talk about it, but I really just want a fucking line from Sheppard-Yonge to Downsview.

[IM G]http://eyesoftheunderground.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/ttc_subway_route_map.gif[/IMG]

Jumping on the subway line discussion briefly, I'm not knowledgeable enough on the subject to properly talk about it, but I really just want a fucking line from Sheppard-Yonge to Downsview.
This would benefit me greatly, but I really don't see it happening (and it doesn't benefit a whole lot of people outside of potentially balancing the load between the two branches of travelling to downtown during rush hour.

Just came home in a subway with no air conditioning.

HOLY FUCK!
All the cars had no AC? I've seen the occasional one that had no AC (or turned on the heat?) and I walked right back out.

Fuzzy

This would benefit me greatly, but I really don't see it happening (and it doesn't benefit a whole lot of people outside of potentially balancing the load between the two branches of travelling to downtown during rush hour..
Balance it out? It would probably make more people take Yonge instead.

Prax

Melting in room right now.
Am supposed to go grocery shopping but.. bwaaah...
Maybe later in the day.. like at 8. lol

Also, Ford is such a nincompoop it hurts. Just make him be quiet already and let the rest of council do his work without impediment. Gah!

Willectro

Banned
ntIiSkq.png

The city's going to explode #teamfucksummer

Fuck them. They are the least flexible company to deal with and earlier this week they tweet: "Toronto Hydro ‏@TorontoHydro 15 Jul As another heat wave moves into the city, remember to watch air conditioner use during peak times http://bit.ly/15yG6wQ #smartsummer". We pay an arm and leg for hydro, and they tell us when to use it. Nah, I don't think so. AC is set at 70.

Fuck them. They are the least flexible company to deal with and earlier this week they tweet: "Toronto Hydro ‏@TorontoHydro 15 Jul As another heat wave moves into the city, remember to watch air conditioner use during peak times http://bit.ly/15yG6wQ #smartsummer". We pay an arm and leg for hydro, and they tell us when to use it. Nah, I don't think so. AC is set at 70.

That's a pretty selfish attitude to have. We don't have infinite capacity, If the power goes out everyone suffers.

Willectro

Banned
That's a pretty selfish attitude to have. We don't have infinite capacity, If the power goes out everyone suffers.

No, Toronto Hydro can shove all their delivery fees and activation fees up their collective ass. Every time I've dealt with them it has been a negative experience, and now they are asking people to use less hydro that many people (on peak hours) are paying a premium for. I don't think so.

When you get your bill, call Toronto Hydro up and ask if because you helped out and used less hydro, would they be able to give you a discount.

Appleman

i just biked 14km
when i left it was 29, when i came back, it was 34
it was hot, but it wasnt THAT bad, it wasnt really that humid either
the wind certainly helped because when there was no wind, i just felt this heat wave around my entire body

anyways, too much whining about the heat

Yep, I biked 14k home yesterday too, I was mostly along the lake and I really didn't think it was all that bad. Wish I could trust these bloody weather reports when it comes to rain though....

Fuzzy

Yep, I biked 14k home yesterday too, I was mostly along the lake and I really didn't think it was all that bad. Wish I could trust these bloody weather reports when it comes to rain though....
It sucks because I like to leave my sunroof popped as well as my windows cracked but I leave them closed when they say it's going to rain.

Azih

We're getting through these things at record speed now.

To keep things straight in my head.

Province WAS, and perhaps IS paying 1.8 billion for LRT conversion.

City says they want subway conditionally one condition being all provincial 1.8 billion go for Subway subway subway instead

Province (Glen Murray) says they WILL pay 1.4 billion for subway as .4 billion of that committed funding is needed to renovate Kennedy subway station. Calls on Feds to pitch in 1/3rds to close the funding gap.

Ball back in cities court. Feds mum so far outside of vague promises of some money. What a clown show.

Errbody fighting over Scarborough votes yo. Hey Scarborough I'm glad you're fed up of taking everybody's shit for decades but couldn't you guys have picked a better issue to rebel over?

thabiz

guess ford is going to have to raise taxes on something. you can almost guarantee hes going to do it too. he wont let this go.

Errbody fighting over Scarborough votes yo. Hey Scarborough I'm glad you're fed up of taking everybody's shit for decades but couldn't you guys have picked a better issue to rebel over?

Someone needs to explain to me why Scarborough is so hell bent on getting a subway, anyways. An LRT is already paid for, would have more stops, not obstruct road traffic in any way, and serve more people. For a leadership that loves buzzwords like "efficiency" and "customer service", a subway in Scarborough is the complete opposite.

Azih

Nah Ford is still good friends with Flaherty. He might pick up the tab.

Lastman was good buddies with Mike Harris. That didn't work out well. EVERYBODY here is playing PR spin for the next elections at all three levels right now. No idea if Harper will try to buy Scarborough at the risk of enraging his conservative base that's already not happy with his spending scandals.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Someone needs to explain to me why Scarborough is so hell bent on getting a subway, anyways. An LRT is already paid for, would have more stops, not obstruct road traffic in any way, and serve more people. For a leadership that loves buzzwords like "efficiency" and "customer service", a subway in Scarborough is the complete opposite.

LOL as if this was about facts anymore

jokkir

Something like that.

Wait, really? why? I know the LRT is pretty bad but wouldn't the money be better to get more transit around the city so people can get around faster than building on an existing transit line?

EDIT - I'm from Scarborough but I'd rather get some sort of transit line that would get me from place A to B faster than taking the bus, the LRT, then the subway just to get downtown >__>

Sober

Damn it generic-Asian GAF, why are nearly all the white girls in HK blondes? Is that why my parents spirited me away to Canada? Because they must've known I was not a blonde guy.

Also got some looks today because I Have a number 3 haircut and not some actual generic Asian man haircut (which is either something that looks like a Stephen Harper hairdo with varying levels of balding OR a really poorly cut Caesar with overgrown sideburns).

More importantly though the MTR is cooler than the TTC. As in they pretty much have air conditioning in almost everything.

Lastman was good buddies with Mike Harris. That didn't work out well. EVERYBODY here is playing PR spin for the next elections at all three levels right now. No idea if Harper will try to buy Scarborough at the risk of enraging his conservative base that's already not happy with his spending scandals.
Lastman got his Sheppard dream, no? And $400 million isn't all that much for the Feds. The only blowback I can imagine from this is Toronto was the only big city absent at the municipalities meeting where they drafted up a need for a national transit strategy. It would be annoying for the other cities that the only city that will be getting transit funding is the one that didn't bother showing up for the meeting.

LOL as if this was about facts anymore

What's it about then? I guess that's what I'm asking. Do people in Scarborough really want to spend an extra BILLION dollars just for the "subway" label? Is it because they think all subways are underground and away from sight? I just can't wrap my head around this obsession, especially when we already have evidence that a subway in an area that doesn't need one (the Sheppard line, thanks Harris and Hudak) doesn't work.

Azih

Do people in Scarborough really want to spend an extra BILLION dollars just for the "subway" label?
Yes.

Slightly longer answer. Scarborough has been promised a subway since the 80s and stoked by Ford populism and anti LRT nonsense they are crazy angry that they don't have one yet and won't settle for anything 'less'.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What's it about then? I guess that's what I'm asking. Do people in Scarborough really want to spend an extra BILLION dollars just for the "subway" label? Is it because they think all subways are underground and away from sight? I just can't wrap my head around this obsession, especially when we already have evidence that a subway in an area that doesn't need one (the Sheppard line, thanks Harris and Hudak) doesn't work.

People like to feel like they're being heard by their politcians. It doesn't matter if the plan is unsound when by repeating slogans you avoid the responsibility of educating people on the value of these plans. A lot of people won't bother to educate themselves opting to follow whoever sounds like they have their best interests in mind regardless of whether that support is flawed or not. The LRT is probably the best plan, but to these people it sounds like "This is what we think is best for you" while Ford's narrative is "I want to give you what you want". To people who aren't going to bother reading beyond that, one message is clearly more appealing to them, especially when that side constantly spits out lies to make their message more appealing.

Quick

Banned
Damn it generic-Asian GAF, why are nearly all the white girls in HK blondes? Is that why my parents spirited me away to Canada? Because they must've known I was not a blonde guy.

Also got some looks today because I Have a number 3 haircut and not some actual generic Asian man haircut (which is either something that looks like a Stephen Harper hairdo with varying levels of balding OR a really poorly cut Caesar with overgrown sideburns).

More importantly though the MTR is cooler than the TTC. As in they pretty much have air conditioning in almost everything.

I currently have a generic Asian man fauxhawk.

And I know what you mean. A vast majority of white women I've seen (at least) in Asia are blonde. The fuck? :lol

Sober

I currently have a generic Asian man fauxhawk.

And I know what you mean. A vast majority of white women I've seen (at least) in Asia are blonde. The fuck? :lol
I can only assume those who dyed their hair blonde is to prevent confusion from being approached by generic Asian males who think they are a generic Asian female, since Asian men aren't allowed to have anything to do with white women. :p

Top Bottom