• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Rinoa

Anyone know anything about wild animals in Toronto? I saw something small that looked like an anteater (long snout ish nose) walking in backyard and it drove my cat NUTS. It def wasn't a raccoon or skunk. Freaked out tbh.

http://www.waterfrontnightmarket.com/

?

Walk around, and eat food. But the transit kind of sucks going to, and back home.

I do not know anyone who enjoys that nightmarket. It smells like poo (that tofu oil) and the music is awful. Plus the lineups and prices for tiny overpriced food is not worth it. Hella unsanitary. Went once for 1hr with a big group and booted out with great difficulty as the traffic is a standstill. No way to go by TTC really other than a longass walk.

Thanks for the date suggestions. I ended up making reservations at Noodle Bar. I have eaten at the New York location and I'm hoping the Toronto one is as good.

Oppo

So how do they come to the conclusion that Opossums are "spreading across GTA"? Great journalism as usual.

If you had quoted the rest...

The number of opossums living in the GTA is unknown. But anecdotally, more and more of the animals — the only marsupials, pouched mammals, in North America — have been spotted across the region in recent years, according to Toronto Animal Services supervisor Mary Lou Leiher.

Oppo

Anecdotally, the Mayor smokes crack according to The Star. They always seem to lack evidence.

one track mind, this guy.

also, just a tip, in reporting, you are allowed to use what's called a "source" for information. you can find more (anecdotally, mind you – I have no evidence) if you search around the web.

zroid

Banned
hni_0056_mporsucj.jpg

yeeeeeah

Azih

Anecdotally, the Mayor smokes crack according to The Star. They always seem to lack evidence.

They have eye witness accounts of people who saw the video (that's not anecdotal) and they didn't get sued into the ground for publishing the story. Srsly.

Willectro

Banned
one track mind, this guy.

also, just a tip, in reporting, you are allowed to use what's called a "source" for information. you can find more (anecdotally, mind you – I have no evidence) if you search around the web.

I find a lot of their material leans on "sources" to circumvent having facts. You are correct though, that is acceptable in the Journalism world. I just wish people had more integrity than that, specifically when publishing such damning, career destroying claims (I'm referring to the Ford scandal, not the opossums, lol).

Except that it wasn't the Star that first reported the crack smoking video.

I'm aware. There's still a severe lack of proof. I quite enjoy how this article was written: Gawker to donate ‘Crackstarter’ funds to four charities

It seems to ignore all the claims that The Star made about seeing the video. I guess they don't want to bring up that bullshit though. Kinda embarrassing now.

They have eye witness accounts of people who saw the video (that's not anecdotal) and they didn't get sued into the ground for publishing the story. Srsly.

Uhhh.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence
The expression anecdotal evidence refers to evidence from anecdotes. Because of the small sample, there is a larger chance that it may be unreliable due to cherry-picked or otherwise non-representative samples of typical cases.[1][2] Anecdotal evidence is considered dubious support of a claim; it is accepted only in lieu of more solid evidence. This is true regardless of the veracity of individual claims.[3][4][5]

Willectro

Banned
Uhhhhhhhhh

Yea, you can prove that Opossums are spreading without any specific numbers/stats the same way you can conclude that the Mayor smokes crack based on a couple claims by Journalists who witnessed a video, but could never produce it. Oh wait, actually you can't.

You would think by now that the Police would be very interested in Ford smoking crack. I mean it is against the law and all. But the Police, luckily, operate on a system supported by evidence, which is something Gawker/The Star couldn't produce.

Oppo

Yea, you can prove that Opossums are spreading without any specific numbers/stats the same way you can conclude that the Mayor smokes crack based on a couple claims by Journalists who witnessed a video, but could never produce it. Oh wait, actually you can't.
Sure you can. Animal Services has numbers of calls.

But let not pretend this is about anything but you axe grinding on the Star, but I agree, it is too hot to bicker with you about fucking opossums.

Roto13

You would think by now that the Police would be very interested in Ford smoking crack. I mean it is against the law and all. But the Police, luckily, operate on a system supported by evidence, which is something Gawker/The Star couldn't produce.

1) If there's anyone whose opinion you can trust about the number of opossums in Ontario, it's a Toronto Animal Services supervisor. You don't need a hard number to know there's an increase when your entire job is dealing with animal populations. And,

2) I'm so sorry you're still in denial about the whole crack thing. Multiple journlists from multiple sources saw the video. It exists, or existed at one time. But, then, you wouldn't believe it was real until you could hop in a time machine and be in the room with him when it happened. And even then you'd be more likely to go a bit farther back and warn him.

Willectro

Banned
Two of their reporters said they saw the video. That's an eyewitness account of the video's existence.

If the reporters had said they HEARD there was a video, that would be anecdotal.

So as soon as an eyewitness claims to see something, it is immediately fact? Because more people have claimed to see Bigfoot than the crack video, but I still don't believe in Bigfoot.

Sure you can. Animal Services has numbers of calls.

But let not pretend this is about anything but you axe grinding on the Star, but I agree, it is too hot to bicker with you about fucking opossums.

I do have an axe to grind with The Star. They can report this shit, and now, even when the video has failed to surface, no one seems to be calling them or Gawker out on it. Whether the video exists or not, they have failed (not financially however, this has been quite lucrative for them both I would imagine).

1) If there's anyone whose opinion you can trust about the number of opossums in Ontario, it's a Toronto Animal Services supervisor. You don't need a hard number to know there's an increase when your entire job is dealing with animal populations. And,

2) I'm so sorry you're still in denial about the whole crack thing. Multiple journlists from multiple sources saw the video. It exists, or existed at one time. But, then, you wouldn't believe it was real until you could hop in a time machine and be in the room with him when it happened. And even then you'd be more likely to go a bit farther back and warn him.

1. And that's exactly it, an, albeit well informed, opinion.
2. If you want to read The Star as if it were completely factual, that's fine. I like definitive proof. We are each entitled to our opinion about that. Everyone seems to hate Ford so much (I'm no longer supporting him btw), that facts and evidence, beyond some reporter's accounts, seem to go out the window.

Quadratic

So. Is it officially too hot for us to talk about another meetup?
So your unofficial name now is KFC? Korean Fried Chicken. The Monster Hunter meetup ended up there and we had a good time.

Fried Chicken + beer.

How about an animal crossing meetup where we all trade turnips and wreck each other's towns.

So your unofficial name now is KFC? Korean Fried Chicken. The Monster Hunter meetup ended up there and we had a good time.

Fried Chicken + beer.

How about an animal crossing meetup where we all trade turnips and wreck each other's towns.
Wait, was that what KFC was about?

We can't do AC meetup for Turnips because we won't know each other prices were in advance. And I have a strict "no axe" policy in my town.

Oh, in other news. I has a job. Which is why I'm asking about the next meetup (and hopefully a few weeks away), so that I can do a round of drinks*.

*first come first serve. :p Not that crazy yet.

Oppo

Hey, congrats Alpha. It's a good feeling isn't it.

If I can get to next GAF meetup I'll give you your card. I still have it.

jokkir

I do not know anyone who enjoys that nightmarket. It smells like poo (that tofu oil) and the music is awful. Plus the lineups and prices for tiny overpriced food is not worth it. Hella unsanitary. Went once for 1hr with a big group and booted out with great difficulty as the traffic is a standstill. No way to go by TTC really other than a longass walk.

I don't find it that bad but the area is so small and the transportation is terrible. It's more or less the same as Night It Up at Markham that happened last weekend. The Smelly Tofu smell, food, and everything.

You had good Korean BBQ and not the Chinese imitation?
AC isn't everyone's cup of tea so no problem

I do have a Vita, I like poutine as well but I can't find a good place here.

#teamheat?! :mad: you sumbitch....

Hmm, I do really like poutine and I am on #TeamHeat, but I don't own a Vita. How's 2 out of 3?
2 out of 3 not good enough. Sorry. *ignores*

There's at least 3 of us over here ;) I go to Red Rocket for my espresso. They have standup comedy in there sometimes, it's awkward/awesome.

*raises hat*
We are friends.

Got stuck in this rain. The second before it started to pour I heard a great whistling sound I've never heard before. A mini tornado sprung up right at my feet and I ran inside a local building with some dude behind me. Stopped a few seconds later. Got off the bus and started walking home 10 mins and just torrential downpour like crazy. I'm soaked but it was actually really refreshing and cleaned all the sweat from work off me. Now I don't need to shower!

Also my basement is flooding again lol

My basement windows suck ass. In the process of getting it fixed TOMORROW so just had to rain today.

Brinbe

Congrats, Alpha! Hope we get another meet-up organized soon.

Anyway. I'm suffering through a virus/fever right now and it really fucking sucks, especially with this fluctuating weather.

Top Bottom