• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Magnus

Off to work tomorrow; first day at a crucial new field placement, right in the heart of downtown Toronto. 9-5, 5 days a week....I can't believe how insanely happy I am about this. Finally, a regular, consistent schedule for the next few months that matches all of my friends and family's schedules.

Sober

Off to work tomorrow; first day at a crucial new field placement, right in the heart of downtown Toronto. 9-5, 5 days a week....I can't believe how insanely happy I am about this. Finally, a regular, consistent schedule for the next few months that matches all of my friends and family's schedules.
Congrats! Some people might say shit about having a 9-5 job but those people probably don't have real jobs (like me!).

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Grats man

Azih

Good stuff!

thabiz

im betting verizon would have just gone along with the rest. there was no guarantee that they would have been cheaper.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Good. No excuses. Meet up next time.
Verizon not entering Canada's wireless market after all

Well, this sucks. I wanted to see Bell, Rogers, and Telus sweat. I don't think much would have changed long term anyhow.

Canada continuing to take it up the pooper from Robelus. Supposedly, they got that video parodying them banned in Canada too, no? That's what I saw on Reddit.

jl4855

congrats! there's something nice about working DT and being in the core, feeling the rush and energy, etc. kinda miss it with an uptown job.

Anyone doing TIFF this year? Specifically any midnight madness stuff.

I'm taking time off work for it! But that's also because I volunteer every year.

I'll be on a volunteer shift for a couple of the midnight madness movies and I have tickets for Hitoshi Matsumoto's R100. Might see a couple more depending on what's playing. (I don't plan things out too much in advance, but rather go with the flow once I've got some volunteer vouchers ready - I think I only paid for two movies last year, saw the rest for free).

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Glen Murray just destroyed Ford and the Feds on transit to Scarbz
It's kinda shitty tbh. It's only two stops after Kennedy,

1. Lawrence Ave East
2. Scarborough City (Town) Centre

0nX9b7c.jpg

Azih

It's kinda shitty tbh. It's only two stops after Kennedy,

1. Lawrence Ave East
2. Scarborough City (Town) Centre

That's all there's money for. And it'll lose money, not as much as Sheppard does, but still.

I said it before and I'll say it again, Scarborough should have revolted for something better than.. this.

Fuzzy

That's all there's money for. And it'll lose money, not as much as Sheppard does, but still.

I said it before and I'll say it again, Scarborough should have revolted for something better than.. this.
This route is a money pit in the making. There are a few things that have to be reworked for a subway to work along that route. An example of this is the major changes that need to happen to Kennedy Station for it to make that turn north and that's not going to be cheap.

It should've been the 9.9KM 7-stop LRT to Sheppard.

Azih

This route is a money pit in the making. There are a few things that have to be reworked for a subway to work along that route. An example of this is the major changes that need to happen to Kennedy Station for it to make that turn north and that's not going to be cheap.

It should've been the 9.9KM 7-stop LRT to Sheppard.

It's the best of Ford era populism. It doesn't make sense, it loses money, but dammit the people want it and the people gonna get it!

Fuck the feds for not investing in the GTA.
Fuck the Libs for funding a shitty two-stop subway line.
And especially fuck Ford Nation for shutting down a viable LRT system because they don't understand the difference between a streetcar and a LRT train.

Anony

now that you guys mentioned subway and transit

after being in japan/tokyo for two weeks, i can see (even more) how shitty our transit is
i'm at a point now that i dont really care anymore, there's really no real improvements in sight
following toronto's transit news (mostly bad news) will just make me sad so i'm going to avoid it

isny

napkin dispenser
now that you guys mentioned subway and transit

after being in japan/tokyo for two weeks, i can see (even more) how shitty our transit is
i'm at a point now that i dont really care anymore, there's really no real improvements in sight
following toronto's transit news (mostly bad news) will just make me sad so i'm going to avoid it

This. Japan is the future. You can never go back to shitty western public transit after visiting.

Via Rail...ugh...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hong Kong and Seoul also had freaking excellent transit systems that were fast, efficient, and affordable.

Though I've heard Seoul has gotten pricier, it was/is? free for seniors, and I was NEVER delayed. The most I experienced was leaving the train only to have one come five minutes later. That is 2 years living there.

Hong Kong was glorious as well and that octopus card was so awesome. We're still stuck with fucking tokens and stupid tickets.

Might as well bitch about cellphones, cellphone plans, and Internet speeds too. It's like we're not even on the same planet when it comes to price and service. Hell, I'll say it too; Asian food > NA food

I still don't think the comparisons between Toronto and Tokyo or Hong Kong are warranted. Tokyo's metro population is 35 million. That's more than all of Canada let alone Toronto, you'd be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Toronto is not London, New York or Tokyo tier, to much of Toronotonians' disappointment :p Toronto is more comparable to Madrid or Frankfurt. Or for Asian examples, Fukuoka or Daegu. Our transit system is terrible even by those standards but it's not disastrous.

I still don't think the comparisons between Toronto and Tokyo or Hong Kong are warranted. Tokyo's metro population is 35 million. That's more than all of Canada let alone Toronto, you'd be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Toronto is not London, New York or Tokyo tier, to much of Toronotonians' disappointment :p Toronto is more comparable to Madrid or Frankfurt. Or for Asian examples, Fukuoka or Daegu. Our transit system is terrible even by those standards but it's not disastrous.

Chicago too, but I have no idea what Chicago transit is like

Sober

Hong Kong and Seoul also had freaking excellent transit systems that were fast, efficient, and affordable.

Though I've heard Seoul has gotten pricier, it was/is? free for seniors, and I was NEVER delayed. The most I experienced was leaving the train only to have one come five minutes later. That is 2 years living there.

Hong Kong was glorious as well and that octopus card was so awesome. We're still stuck with fucking tokens and stupid tickets.

Might as well bitch about cellphones, cellphone plans, and Internet speeds too. It's like we're not even on the same planet when it comes to price and service. Hell, I'll say it too; Asian food > NA food
After coming back from HK and using the Octopus card not only for transit but a bunch of other stuff, this place kinda sucks cause I can't do that here.

Fuzzy

LOL $30, might as well take a cab.
A cab is closer to $60 when leaving the airport to downtown. So if you have 2+ people then you're right.

In 2010 my brother got married in Cuba and so we all went down for a week. My dad hired one of those mini buses to take us to the airport. My uncle lives around the corner from my parents so he caught a ride with us also. A total of 7 of us took the bus to the airport and it only cost $80 from Scarborough.

explodet

If I'm by myself and going to Pearson I'll still take the damn Airport rocket. $3 for the TTC fare vs $28 for the shuttle bus. I'm waiting 3 hours at the airport, what's another hour?

Thankfully I'm near Billy Bishop, I try and take Porter as often as I can.

I've never done it before. Do you have to buy tickets online? Can you go to a theatre and scheduled time and just buy tickets at the theatre?

You can just go to the theatre and buy tickets there like any regular movie theatre trip, assuming tickets are available. Check beforehand! If the film is "off sale" you can still try to get in through the rush line (after ticket holders are seated, if there are open seats, the rush line is sent in to fill them). But your best bet, if there is something specific you want to see, is to buy tickets in advance (you can do that online, probably easiest, or also at the dedicated box office venue - buying tickets at the theatre itself is only possible for same day screenings).

You can just go to the theatre and buy tickets there like any regular movie theatre trip, assuming tickets are available. Check beforehand! If the film is "off sale" you can still try to get in through the rush line (after ticket holders are seated, if there are open seats, the rush line is sent in to fill them). But your best bet, if there is something specific you want to see, is to buy tickets in advance (you can do that online, probably easiest, or also at the dedicated box office venue - buying tickets at the theatre itself is only possible for same day screenings).
Alright, good to know. Thanks!

Really want to see that Daniel Radcliffe Zoe Kazan movie.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

How DARE you compare us, the Centre of the Universe, with goddamn DAEGU!? :mad:

Them's fighting words!

Our transit system is terrible and 'getting worse'. I like the new subway trains...but this is the kind of stuff they had in Seoul when I lived there half a decade ago.

I actually have to take the LRT to work now and then...my gods it's gonna really suck...

edit: how many of you nubs would be up for a meet up this weekend?

Top Bottom