• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It was a joke about the Beerstation.

I'm sure some of the meetup regulars would be on board for this weekend.

Anybody else? :(

Not that I don't like Quady, but 2 generic asian guys do not make for a meet up...and if it was just us two i'd meet near danforth for that food.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Well if there us enough interest for 5 or more I'll do it. Post here to let me know.

So far it's 2 generic Asian guys...

We are so ronrery.... :'(

Rinoa

It's cold :( Damn near froze to death going home.

Good sleeping weather tho

If I'm by myself and going to Pearson I'll still take the damn Airport rocket. $3 for the TTC fare vs $28 for the shuttle bus. I'm waiting 3 hours at the airport, what's another hour?

I like the airport limos, they cost more but they're more reliable to the minute than cab. Often cabs don't know about ongoing construction that will block their way to airport at odd hours. Can't take chances when it comes to airport things and TTC = hella risky, I have a huge anxiety thing about missing flights. Plus you can sleep in the limo, that extra hour zz means more alive later.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I like the airport limos, they cost more but they're more reliable to the minute than cab. Often cabs don't know about ongoing construction that will block their way to airport at odd hours. Can't take chances when it comes to airport things and TTC = hella risky, I have a huge anxiety thing about missing flights. Plus you can sleep in the limo, that extra hour zz means more alive later.
I do too but that's why I get there super early even if I don't have to. I nap at the airport.

Quadratic

I actually took the 300A to the Airport on my recent trip to PAX (I'm near the Danforth all the way in the east end). Got me there in around 1 1/2 hours I think (it does local stops). Just listened to a podcast on the way there and it wasn't busy at all since I took one of the last 300's ~4AM. Got right to terminal 1 departures. I like to take early flights plus I'm a morning person.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
TIFF KILLS!

God damn it it's late/early. Screw you movies for making me throw my life away for 11 days.
:'(

They had screening problems and the movie ran late too yikes.

Why am I awake? Going to work. Why early? Some dude was outside my house crying and sobbing and yelling and didn't stop til an hour later when the cops came by. Why was he crying? Dammit! You're too full of questions. Ummm...let's say he was sad that Kadri and Franson are still unsigned.

Quick

Banned
I hope someone just shows up with a Wii U version.

So, subway, 10 years.

Ohhhh man.

iboy2tqP56M7cB.jpg
iAel32PPMLMiB.jpg

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Bah! You're all kave_men! :'(

On the plus side, I don't think this day could get any better than lamb shavings from messini and a nice sunny yet mild and slightly windy weather walk home.

Goddamn messini, hnnnnnghhh!!!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Toronto's sushi quality is so shit. I'm in Banff right now and the sushi here is 10x better. Step it up Toronto.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Toronto's sushi quality is so shit. I'm in Banff right now and the sushi here is 10x better. Step it up Toronto.

Ahem. Taro's fish? Zen Sushi? Kaji Sushi? Hiro Sushi?

Just an update on poor EM. He's having some internet trouble with Teksavvy cause some of their CSRs can be dipshits.

Magnus

Thanks for the notes everyone!

First week was stellar; learning so much it's ridiculous. Great environment, very exciting industry. I'm working in the CTV building at 299 Queen St. West (where Speaker's Corner used to be, for those who remember). Something's always happening there; really amazing building to work out of.

Rinoa

No story, but people thought it was rude and were vocal.

First week was stellar; learning so much it's ridiculous. Great environment, very exciting industry. I'm working in the CTV building at 299 Queen St. West (where Speaker's Corner used to be, for those who remember). Something's always happening there; really amazing building to work out of.

Grats dude!! I worked there 7-8 yrs ago, back when things were CityTV and becoming CTV. Which channel/property you working for? SPACE & online was the best dept and culture back then, I'm biased.. but I'm also serious.

Any GAFfers here at the Zelda symphony? I'm the lone brown dude in the grey sweater and blue jeans and black bag.

Man I feel weird coming to this alone.

krae_man

Does Zelda play more like a regular symphony performance as opposed to Video Games Live then? Because yelling and stuff in that one is encouraged.

I remember listening to some podcasts where games press went to one and expressed the same thing and they were acted like "you were supposed to dress up, and you are dead silent until the piece is over, and even when that happens you just politely clap" and I wasn't sure if they went in there with the wrong expectation or not.

Just got back home. That was awesome!

They opened up with a medley and montage from the whole series.
Then went straight to Links Awakening suite because it's the 20th anniversary of that game.
After that a nice bit of Spirit Tracks.
Next was Ocarina of Time and then a truly awesome Windwaker suite.

Then intermission happened, got a tshirt and and poster.
Came back and one of the composers presenters had his fly down the whole time during the first section and made a few jokes about it. Someone yelled in the audience how he wanted to show off his Master Sword. Cue roar of laughter from the audience and the presenter laughing as well and having trouble continuing.

Anyway, they went with Twilight Princess next, then it A Link To the Past.

For a surprise, they did Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword last. I guess those weren't in the show last year?

Recorded a bunch of it.

Does Zelda play more like a regular symphony performance as opposed to Video Games Live then? Because yelling and stuff in that one is encouraged.

I remember listening to some podcasts where games press went to one and expressed the same thing and they were acted like "you were supposed to dress up, and you are dead silent until the piece is over, and even when that happens you just politely clap" and I wasn't sure if they went in there with the wrong expectation or not.
People yelled occasionally when the presenters were talking. It wasn't discouraged. The longer it went, the louder people got.

Stet

Banned

I used to work just north of there on John. It's a really good neighbourhood to work in. Just watch out for the weekend crowd.

Dr.Acula

Banned

Ahem. Taro's fish? Zen Sushi? Kaji Sushi? Hiro Sushi?

I went to BC and it ruined Toronto sushi for me too. Even the best restaurant in Toronto won't compare, they're on the ocean, they get the best fish fastest.

Soooo. TIFF! I've already seen a couple, got tix for eight more, maybe rush a few. Anyone else going?

Yeah yeah, "it's expensive." Well, I've seen dozens of films over the years that never got distribution, and they're effectively unseeable now. I saw "You're Next" two years ago and it just released in theatres the past week, so yeah, I spent 20-something bucks to see a film I could have watched for 12 bucks two years later. What would I rather have, two years or eight bucks?

If you only go to one screening... make it a Midnight Madness screening!

Quadratic

My first TIFF film this year was a 4 hour documentary on UC Bekeley. Of course I didn't realize the running time until the director said something about trimming down 250 hours of raw footage down to 4 hours before the screening.

Overall I liked it but it could have been trimmed down way more or edited a bit tighter.

TIFF KILLS!

This upcoming week I have 2 midnight madness screenings.

krae_man

Not yet. They keep announcing it later and later. Last year was less then a weeks notice. You just have to be sharp. Check their twitter and Facebook regularly.

The real question however is: When is ACIV's or Watch Dogs launch party and how do we get in?

My first TIFF film this year was a 4 hour documentary on UC Bekeley.

Haha, the Frederick Wiseman doc. I want to see it but I already knew it was 4 hours, don't usually like sitting in a theatre for that long - though I did manage five hours of K. Kurosawa's Penance last year, wasn't bad.

And on that note, my first TIFF film this year was K. Kurosawa's Real. Also not bad. I feel like the guy is still doing some solid work but hasn't really knocked anything out of the park since Tokyo Sonata.

This upcoming week I have 2 midnight madness screenings.

Which ones? I'm seeing Oculus tonight and R100 on Thursday. I'm also going to be there as a volunteer on Tuesday and Saturday.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Not yet. They keep announcing it later and later. Last year was less then a weeks notice. You just have to be sharp. Check their twitter and Facebook regularly.

The real question however is: When is ACIV's or Watch Dogs launch party and how do we get in?
How we get in is easy, I walk in with my AC bag and pretend to be press again and they give me more free shit.

zeitgeist

Even though I know I would never have gotten in, I'm starting to regret not trying to rush the Gravity premiere. I've been getting up at 6 am to be ready for the site to update since the first but no dice :(

Dr.Acula

Banned
Fucking Oculus at Midnight Madness TIFF I hate this scary shit lol >_<

Karen Gillan is great though, cool to hear her doing an American accent.

Symbol is one of my favorites, and one of my favorite TIFF experiences. I'm so fucking hyped for R100.

Oculus was good. The girl who ran out of the theatre screaming "it's too scary" was adorable. There was one scene that made me pee my pants a little and I don't scare easily so I can't blame her.

CrankyJay

Banned
Had a good time at TIFF this weekend (up from Buffalo)

Saw:

The Pioneers
African Shorts
The Station (midnight madness Friday)
Love is the Perfect Crime
Sex, Drugs, and Taxation

Ate at:
Barberian's Steakhouse
Guu Izakaya
Sin & Redemption

Great time, great people, cool city...will have to do a GTA meet up sometime (including Buffalo, lol)

Had a good time at TIFF this weekend (up from Buffalo)

Saw:

The Pioneers
African Shorts
The Station (midnight madness Friday)
Love is the Perfect Crime
Sex, Drugs, and Taxation

Ate at:
Barberian's Steakhouse
Guu Izakaya
Sin & Redemption

Great time, great people, cool city...will have to do a GTA meet up sometime (including Buffalo, lol)

Sin and Redemption? Someone knows whats up

Top Bottom