• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kraftwerk

Seems like the next three days are going to be brutally hot.

Going to hit 42 tomorrow with the humidity.

I fucking hate this random weather.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Had a good time at TIFF this weekend (up from Buffalo)

Saw:

The Pioneers
African Shorts
The Station (midnight madness Friday)
Love is the Perfect Crime
Sex, Drugs, and Taxation

Ate at:
Barberian's Steakhouse
Guu Izakaya
Sin & Redemption

Great time, great people, cool city...will have to do a GTA meet up sometime (including Buffalo, lol)
You're part of Sabres GAF (lol only member?). Glad you had a good time. Next time let us know; we do have meet ups now and then when Kraftwerk feels he can decimate kave_man, but then they both get buzzed off bad beer and forget to battle.
On average, Banff is a lot better. Even the crappy sushi holes have sushi comparable to Taro's.

I went to this sushi train place and now I'm sad that there's nothing remotely as good in Toronto.
Shenanigans! I'll have to ask my cousin to head up there and report back.

Quadratic

Symbol is one of my favorites, and one of my favorite TIFF experiences. I'm so fucking hyped for R100.

Oculus was good. The girl who ran out of the theatre screaming "it's too scary" was adorable. There was one scene that made me pee my pants a little and I don't scare easily so I can't blame her.

Hit me up with a PM if you want to hang out in line. I'll be going to that screening with a few friends.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Toronto Photo of the day

ibu6VQ2yKrDLVe.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Random non-TIFF/food related question. lol

I have a laptop with a dead GPU that is out of warranty and I was wondering if anyone had any experience getting a laptop repaired anywhere in Toronto. I'm not sure if I should deal with the pain of shipping it back to Lenovo or if it's worth going through the College Street stores (or Futureshop/Staples) and have a third party (try to) repair it?

CrankyJay

Banned
You're part of Sabres GAF (lol only member?). Glad you had a good time. Next time let us know; we do have meet ups now and then when Kraftwerk feels he can decimate kave_man, but then they both get buzzed off bad beer and forget to battle.

Shenanigans! I'll have to ask my cousin to head up there and report back.

LOL yeah, in Sabres GAF. =(

Quadratic

Random non-TIFF/food related question. lol

I have a laptop with a dead GPU that is out of warranty and I was wondering if anyone had any experience getting a laptop repaired anywhere in Toronto. I'm not sure if I should deal with the pain of shipping it back to Lenovo or if it's worth going through the College Street stores (or Futureshop/Staples) and have a third party (try to) repair it?

In my experience having to repair something like a motherboard/logic board related issue will cost you a lot no matter where you go. It's not even a repair, more like a replacement. Depends how old your laptop is and if they can source the part. I've gone through the College street shops (I believe there are less nowadays). Systems Centre is alright and the Chinese shops you can haggle a bit on price.

My advice is weigh the cost of repair/replacement (shop around) and outright buying a new laptop.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In my experience having to repair something like a motherboard/logic board related issue will cost you a lot no matter where you go. It's not even a repair, more like a replacement. Depends how old your laptop is and if they can source the part. I've gone through the College street shops (I believe there are less nowadays). Systems Centre is alright and the Chinese shops you can haggle a bit on price.

My advice is weigh the cost of repair/replacement (shop around) and outright buying a new laptop.

Yeah, I assume it will be about a third of the original price of the laptop.
(Which I guess would have cost the same as the extended warranty, so while I feel bad, I don't feel too bad).

I think my issue is that everyone seems to charge a fee just to take a look, so shopping around is a bit tough because of that. It almost seems as if you pick a place, you might as well stick with them since you're already invested via the "diagnostic fee". (Hell, maybe that's why they charge that fee in the first place).

Quadratic

Question: busted iPhone 4S power button. Where should I go to fix it?

Recurring theme tonight.

I got my broken on/off switch on my iPhone 4 fixed at iRepair on the Danforth. Fixed within an hour and at a reasonable cost. The tools, part and my inexperience tearing down an iPhone made me go to them.

Read the "bad" yelp reviews too on iRepair and decided to take the plunge. More often then not, people write bad reviews instead of posting positive ones. It's a common repair apparently. These buttons just break after a while.

Recurring theme tonight.

I got my broken on/off switch on my iPhone 4 fixed at iRepair on the Danforth. Fixed within an hour and at a reasonable cost. The tools, part and my inexperience tearing down an iPhone made me go to them.

Read the "bad" yelp reviews too on iRepair and decided to take the plunge. More often then not, people write bad reviews instead of posting positive ones. It's a common repair apparently. These buttons just break after a while.
The ghost of Steve Jobs is angry.

Can you say how much it was, and the service was fine? I'm probably going to check with an Apple store to see if there's any fix from them first that doesn't cost an arm and leg.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Summer dresses coming back with a vengeance tomorrow YUSSS
I'm OK with this and the continuation of short skirts.
Is that at that Birchmount cemetery?
Hmmm...try again.

Can you say how much it was, and the service was fine? I'm probably going to check with an Apple store to see if there's any fix from them first that doesn't cost an arm and leg.
Apple DOOMED!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Found out that there's going to be a new T&T at Yonge and Sheppard.

Just another reason why this area is the best

Quadratic

The repair/part replacement was $70. It was about 2 months ago and everything is working fine. I thought about fixing it myself but looking on ifixit the job requires a complete teardown which I wasn't comfortable doing.

What I gather is that it's cheaper than apple for the repair. I think most out of warranty stuff they do is ~$120.

Willectro

Banned
I gotta move when I have a chance. Construction is driving me mental. I mean, overall it's good for the economy, etc, but in the short term its often poorly executed.

Top Bottom