• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

JxYnsGa.jpg

source

krae_man

Ahh, what! I need to start coming back to this thread.

Still no info on another Ubisoft Party. As for the Sony Holiday Preview Event, it's not happening this year. Instead they are doing something else likely PS4 launch related, info has not been released yet.

whitehawk

Banned
Still no info on another Ubisoft Party. As for the Sony Holiday Preview Event, it's not happening this year. Instead they are doing something else likely PS4 launch related, info has not been released yet.
Neat!

Speaking of PS4 stuff, do you know where the biggest PS4 midnight event is going to be? My best guess would be either Futureshop or EBGames at Yonge and Dundas. Wondering if there are any Sony sponsored midnight events.

Azih

Missed you added_time.

Also Harper jumping on the Ford train in some vague manner. Scarborough is getting fed dollars of some amount to get some kind of subway!

Also Harper jumping on the Ford train in some vague manner. Scarborough is getting fed dollars of some amount to get some kind of subway!

5o69i9q.jpg

Looking at the map they showed, it's basically the same route that the Scarborough RT is but with a few less stops and goes to Sheppard instead of Ellesmere. Congrats, Scarborough. You got something that makes you feel important while providing very little new benefits and costing a lot of money.
It kinda reminds me of people upgrading to a new iPhone or something.

Azih

Spend a few hundred million minimum for a feel good one time capital investment project that is incredibly inefficient and will be a financial burden for decades to come.

Conservatives are good with money!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
5o69i9q.jpg

Looking at the map they showed, it's basically the same route that the Scarborough RT is but with a few less stops and goes to Sheppard instead of Ellesmere. Congrats, Scarborough. You got something that makes you feel important while providing very little new benefits and costing a lot of money.
The LRT will still be running til this thing is up...right? :(

If not, I'm in for a world of hurt since I need it to get to work...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
That map is completely different from the one the Ontario Liberals said they were building. I look forward to the coming weeks.

The LRT will still be running til this thing is up...right? :(

If not, I'm in for a world of hurt since I need it to get to work...
IIRC the SRT is supposed to shut down after the 2015 Pan-Am Games and then you get to ride buses until whatever replaces it is done. Have fun.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
That map is completely different from the one the Ontario Liberals said they were building. I look forward to the coming weeks.

IIRC the SRT is supposed to shut down after the 2015 Pan-Am Games and then you get to ride buses until whatever replaces it is done. Have fun.
Ah so I have a few years still. Not too bad I guess. We'll see if my company is still around then.

Willectro

Banned
5o69i9q.jpg

Fuck this. This is the worst. Why should Scarborough be the priority for anything? If the choice was to extend the subway to Scarborough or do nothing, I would prefer nothing.

Scarborough is getting fed dollars of some amount to get some kind of subway!

In case you are curious, the Federal Government is promising 660 million. the Province said they will put in 1.4 billion.

What a waste of money. Politicians should not be allowed to decide which subway lines are built. They don't know the first thing about transit planning and all they do is promise lines to people in exchange for votes. It's pathetic.

Every transit planning report and study has clearly indicated which subway line should be prioritized in order to help ease congestion on the roads and on the TTC. To see it ignored like this is so sad and clearly highlights that there are no true leaders in Canada. The Federal, Provincial and Municipal politicians are spineless and have no vision for the future.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck this. This is the worst. Why should Scarborough be the priority for anything? If the choice was to extend the subway to Scarborough or do nothing, I would prefer nothing.

Same thing could've been said for the Sheppard line. Still not used that much though I went on it about 6 months ago.

Same thing could've been said for the Sheppard line. Still not used that much though I went on it about 6 months ago.

Don't forget that in 1995, the Provincial Government cancelled and filled in the Eglinton Subway Line just before building the unnecessary Sheppard Line.
And now they are digging Eglinton again because it was always needed.

The awesome transit planning never stops.

Anth0ny

Neat!

Speaking of PS4 stuff, do you know where the biggest PS4 midnight event is going to be? My best guess would be either Futureshop or EBGames at Yonge and Dundas. Wondering if there are any Sony sponsored midnight events.

I thought they didn't do midnight events for new console launches? From what I recall, PS3 launch people had to wait in line overnight, I definitely waited for Wii in line overnight, there was fuck all for 3DS or Wii U...

I thought they didn't do midnight events for new console launches? From what I recall, PS3 launch people had to wait in line overnight, I definitely waited for Wii in line overnight, there was fuck all for 3DS or Wii U...
I'm sure MS Store at yorkdale will do it.

Not to mention, my aunt lives in the area that they are putting this new extension in, she has to sell her house in order to let this extension go thru.. otherwise suffer a lot of subway traffic noise and detour nearby.

Fuzzy

also just noticed the federal money is contingent on the liberals accepting
hahaha

fuck you, conservatives
If they're going to spend the money on this then this plan is much better than the one the Province wanted to go with. The one they proposed was ending at STC traveling East meaning it would never meet up with the Sheppard LRT in the future. Also, the sharp turn North at Kennedy Station would've cost a hell of a lot more than they said it would.

krae_man

Just give me high speed rail between Windsor and Montreal already so I can go from Kitchener to Pearson in 25 minutes and Toronto in 40.

Willectro

Banned
We're agreeing on something! OH MY GOD THE WORLD IS COLLAPSING! :p

Yea, this is on a 'divide by zero' level, lol.

Agreed. I don't think anyone can debate that the extension will be used... but that is the problem. I already can't get on the subway westbound from Broadview in the morning, I can't imagine what this will be like. That being said, I do agree that the influx of new riders may be overstated as many now currently use buses/streetcars to get to the subway.And to be honest, I'm not sure that the DRL is a bulletproof solution (I think Pape Station should have been configured a bit differently during the remodel, etc).

LOL, round and round it goes

Hey, if it's round and round vs. Scarb extension, I have no problems with them delaying it indefinitely.

The other thing I'm kind of pissed about now is that the TTC, who have had shit for ideas and have been lukewarm on a number of 'plans', are now against this once it's announced. What truly needs to happen is Toronto needs to hire some type of unbiased, non-politically appointed arbitrator to decide what is best for the city, and not upcoming political campaigns. People who live near subways have an expectation that there will be decent service, which there desperately is not. I don't give a shit if people who decided to live away from subway stations don't have access to subways. Sorry Scarborough, but we need to fix what we have, not extend the problem.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
DRL is needed long before replacing the SRT

I don't live anywhere near downtown, but that yonge line is a damned nightmare during rush hour

Azih

What truly needs to happen is Toronto needs to hire some type of unbiased, non-politically appointed arbitrator to decide what is best for the city, and not upcoming political campaigns
That's kinda what Metrolinx was supposed to be lol.

daemonic

Banned
I'd rather see the $600 million go to maintenance of existing subway lines or for increasing the number of streetcars on Queen and King to help reduce wait times. Even for new bike lanes. But a subway extension in Scarborough? This will be a complete waste of both money and time.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, this is on a 'divide by zero' level, lol.

Agreed. I don't think anyone can debate that the extension will be used... but that is the problem. I already can't get on the subway westbound from Broadview in the morning, I can't imagine what this will be like. That being said, I do agree that the influx of new riders may be overstated as many now currently use buses/streetcars to get to the subway.And to be honest, I'm not sure that the DRL is a bulletproof solution (I think Pape Station should have been configured a bit differently during the remodel, etc).

Hey, if it's round and round vs. Scarb extension, I have no problems with them delaying it indefinitely.

The other thing I'm kind of pissed about now is that the TTC, who have had shit for ideas and have been lukewarm on a number of 'plans', are now against this once it's announced. What truly needs to happen is Toronto needs to hire some type of unbiased, non-politically appointed arbitrator to decide what is best for the city, and not upcoming political campaigns. People who live near subways have an expectation that there will be decent service, which there desperately is not. I don't give a shit if people who decided to live away from subway stations don't have access to subways. Sorry Scarborough, but we need to fix what we have, not extend the problem.
Paper station fucking sucks now. The way it was designed before was ugly but efficient. Now it's just inefficient...and still kinda ugly

edit: which one of you nerds has been to this??? And I wonder if we should do a meet up before this and then go to it and pitch a burgers review game that ranges from shit to really shit?

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/23/b...-drinks-with-torontos-gaming-scene/#continued

Willectro

Banned
That's kinda what Metrolinx was supposed to be lol.

Agreed, Metrolinx was a good attempt but I think it will ultimately be another eHealth. Good decisions need to be made right from the onset, and I think Metrolinx has proven it's inability already with the slow and shortsighted implementation of Presto.

JordanN

Banned
Did anyone passing by Bay Street near Union Station today see a man dressed as a tree?
Some kind of Warcraft viral marketing or a homeless person gone mad?

zroid

Banned
I know SRT users love to complain, but come the fuck on. :\

That money could go to so much other, more useful stuff which doesn't involve demolishing a functional if crappy transit route. And I live on McCowan for chrissake!

Fuzzy

I know SRT users love to complain, but come the fuck on. :\

That money could go to so much other, more useful stuff which doesn't involve demolishing a functional if crappy transit route. And I live on McCowan for chrissake!
But that's the funny thing. The whole idea of replacing the SRT was so that the Eglinton LRT would continue from Kennedy Station and then meetup at the future Sheppard LRT. It would've been the same trains as the Eglinton line and was a good idea. This? This is a huge waste of money.

Magnus

I've learned that a job I'm up for pays around $40k. After I crunched the numbers, that works out to around $27-28k net, and a little over $500 a week. So depressing. Basically minimum wage.

Toronto is so fucking expensive.

$40k always sounded like so much to me while I was in school, but I never allowed myself to think about how much it would really be after taxes.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I've learned that a job I'm up for pays around $40k. After I crunched the numbers, that works out to around $27-28k net, and a little over $500 a week. So depressing. Basically minimum wage.

$40k always sounded like so much to me while I was in school, but I never allowed myself to think about how much it would really be after taxes.
That can't be right... :p

Fuzzy

$40K is $20/hr. That's about right.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It isn't? I've always been told to anticipate about a third or more of income to be taxed. What would $40k actually get knocked down to?

It would be if taxes didn't exist. Haha. Gets boiled down to more like $14 an hour.
More like 20% (15 federal and 5 provincial) as you're in the first bracket I believe. 33% is for people who make a lot more than you; like that bastard fuzzy. I wish I was an electrician... :(

krae_man

You're not going to pay $13k in income tax, CPP and EI with 40k income. Your number crunching was wrong. It's probably closer to 1/2 that depending on the tax credits you qualify for.

More like 20% (15 federal and 5 provincial) as you're in the first bracket I believe. 33% is for people who make a lot more than you; like that bastard fuzzy. I wish I was an electrician... :(

He's under the bottom tax bracket for federal(43k) and barely over the provincial one($39k)

Top Bottom