• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Dying to try this place. Heard really great things.

I've tried Kinton, Ryuu's, Ryoji, and Santouka so far. Kinton is still my favourite.

I liked it more than Kinton. Although the fried chicken is far worse than Kinton's

eHZKMda.jpg

source

Eleuin

Anybody here go to or have UoT as their alma mater?

What did you study and how was your experience?

They consistently rank high but from the few people I've asked I have heard less than favorable reviews so I was curious how it went/is going for you.

Sober

They consistently rank high but from the few people I've asked I have heard less than favorable reviews so I was curious how it went/is going for you.
Ask ahead, was at UofT for five years in the Arts and Science program. Anything specific that these people told you were less than great?

sammich

Guys need some input/suggestions.

Me and my best buds and our wives/gf are doing a nite out on a monthly basis. Want an interesting/different place. Some place with energy but not too loud. Cuisine doesnt matter as the purpose of this is also to try new things. Location GTA. Cant be too expensive though, i would think around $75 pp is the limit. Number of people would be around 10+ usually. We went to Bent recently which was decent. Not exactly my type of food, but not bad either.

soultron

Banned

Me and my best buds and our wives/gf are doing a nite out on a monthly basis. Want an interesting/different place. Some place with energy but not too loud. Cuisine doesnt matter as the purpose of this is also to try new things. Location GTA. Cant be too expensive though, i would think around $75 pp is the limit. Number of people would be around 10+ usually. We went to Bent recently which was decent. Not exactly my type of food, but not bad either.

Spin is really great if you're into table tennis. Heed my warning if you intend to go though; book a table (or two) in advance or you might spend the entire time waiting and watching others play.

More of a bar than a restaurant, so I'd recommend eating elsewhere before going.

sammich

Spin is really great if you're into table tennis. Heed my warning if you intend to go though; book a table (or two) in advance or you might spend the entire time waiting and watching others play.

More of a bar than a restaurant, so I'd recommend eating elsewhere before going.

Damn dude, that is actually an awesome suggestion. Only issue is a few of us can get competitive and i dont like the idea of sweating like a mad man when out. Maybe a bit too active. But this one was definitely an awesome suggestion. Will use if for another day for sure.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

English/East Asian Studies/History

Make sure you check the reviews on profs there as some can really really suck. Otherwise, it's downtown and big.

Not sure it's really that much better than any other uni.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

I went there for life science undergrad. It was way too crowded. None of the profs and TAs has much time for you when you're competing with hundreds of thousands of other people for their attention.

krae_man

Okay I preordered Watch Dogs at EBgames.ca because the app says people who preorder at EB get a code for an automatic entry into the grand prize draw. People who didn't preorder need to be at the top of the App leaderboard.

The website says you will get emailed the code within 3 days. I'll just cancel the preorder after I get the code since I already have it for $40 at FS.

The things I do to get to parties.

Willectro

Banned
I know when renting an apartment your landlord must give 24 hours notice for entry to complete maintenance, but is there a maximum to how often?

Are you looking for good food at restaurants? Or more like event type places?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So I tried to quit

and they offered a raise

and I said no pls let me quit

and they offer a bigger raise

please let me quit rahhhhhhh

I know when renting an apartment your landlord must give 24 hours notice for entry to complete maintenance, but is there a maximum to how often?

They are required under the LTA to keep the premises in good working condition, and accordingly there are no limits placed on how often they can (or not) enter your premises to conduct said maintenance. When I called the city to inquire about such matters I was told that the notice thing was a courtesy, not a requirement, when it comes to maintenance (just to show your place is different). And if it's emergency maintenance (e.g. pipes bursting) they can come in with no notice (they usually knock first...).

ALL THAT BEING SAID if the intrusions amount to something that prevents you from the "quiet enjoyment" of your suite, you can file a complaint. Better just to talk to the super/landlord first though, if you haven't already.

What are you looking for in a school?

To the administration, you will be a number and nothing more. I've found the administration to be inflexible, unhelpful, and from time to time unprofessional. But, if you're the standard student with standard needs your expectations of them will be little, so that won't matter unless you're looking to continue grad studies. Then administration quality matters.

Like others have noted, check how other students have rated your prospective profs. If you're looking to be an Arts & Science student, the union posts an anti-calendar every year that rates (almost) all courses in the department. Otherwise, you may be able to check ratemyprof. Look for terms like "approachable", "helpful", "enthusiastic about what is usually dry material", that sort of stuff. Those are profs who will focus on the teaching, and with whom you'll have a better class experience. I'd also advise hunting down a course calendar and looking at fields in which you're interested (do this for any school you look into). Determine what you'll be required to take, and what your options are. It's hard to tell from a three-sentence description what a course will actually be like, but if you get the least bit excited about a few of them, it bodes well for your program experience, irrespective of school.

TAs will vary in skill and teaching capability, and that'll be true no matter what school you go to.

Food options on and around campus are diverse (and some of them are even tasty). Keep your eyes and ears open for $5 (or free) lunches.

U of T offers an expansive list of courses and departments, many of which are led and run by instructors who are leaders in their field. If you're not dead set on what you want to be when you grow up, it's a good place to experiment with different fields of study.

Student life...as a commuter, you'll probably feel alienated. That's going to be true no matter where you go. If you live on or close by to campus, you'll find it more easy to socialize after classes with the people you meet in them. Again, this is true of any school, but especially true of universities that aren't in "university towns". U of T has a vast array of student newspapers, campus clubs, athletic activities, co-curricular offerings, etc in which you can participate, and many of which will be of no cost to you (other than time). Find ways to make the big university small and you will have a better time there.

The university also has a mentorship program, and continuing education opportunities offered at discount costs to recent grads. Their career centre is well networked with area employers. The success of these programs is based in two areas - the reputation that the school holds among business leaders, and the number of graduates who feel some semblance of loyalty to the school who are in hiring positions.

I recommend visiting the campus, getting an official tour, and then linking up with a current student or two and getting the unofficial tour - if you haven't already. Combined, it'll give you a feel for whether the university is a good fit.

Quadratic

Yesterday at the Jays game my friend and I wandered down to the standing room area near the Budweiser and Rogers signs.

Oh wow was it fun. I wish we went down before the 7th inning stretch because there's a bar nearby and the fans were much more fun and lively than the guys in the 500's looking at their smartphones.

Top Bottom