• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

zroid

Banned
Anybody here go to or have UoT as their alma mater?

What did you study and how was your experience?

They consistently rank high but from the few people I've asked I have heard less than favorable reviews so I was curious how it went/is going for you.

as others have said, i think it will really depend on what your personal needs are, but for me (life sciences -- immunology to be specific), they were an enjoyable four years. I was a pretty low-profile student though, just attended classes and did little else (I was mildly involved in the anime club lol).

i can't speak for how it is in other universities and other programs, but in my 3rd and 4th years the classes were small, the profs were more interested in individual students, etc. this contrasts quite a bit with the first two years (especially first year), where class sizes can be absolutely enormous (1000+ in some cases).

it is a nice campus though, and if you're a fan of downtown life you will enjoy your time at UofT. there's a lot of history and pride.

Kraftwerk

so I'm doing the Toronto edition of tough mudder tomorrow. wish me luck guys.

Damn. I didn't know about this. I will definitely do it next time. Been training hard in preparation for my battle with Kave_Man. Might as well do something after I annihilate him :)

GOOD LUCK!

zorbsie

Not to bring back burger talk, but I went to Great Burger Kitchen on Gerrrard and Jones. Really good burgers, I was very impressed. Order of fries came in a big bowl. Ordered two, that was a mistake. My only gripe with the place was they only had bar stools for seats. Had to hold my one year old in my arms.

Whitehawk: I thought the tough murder was today. Or is there two days of it? Either way good luck!

whitehawk

Banned
Not to bring back burger talk, but I went to Great Burger Kitchen on Gerrrard and Jones. Really good burgers, I was very impressed. Order of fries came in a big bowl. Ordered two, that was a mistake. My only gripe with the place was they only had bar stools for seats. Had to hold my one year old in my arms.

Whitehawk: I thought the tough murder was today. Or is there two days of it? Either way good luck!
Yup, there are two days! Guess enough people are interested to warrant 2 days.

Also GBK is indeed great.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Yup, there are two days! Guess enough people are interested to warrant 2 days.

Also GBK is indeed great.
I live a few blocks away and I've given them 3 chances. All the burgers were dry and unappealing. As for the bar stools, I've ween those in a lot of these smaller burger joints. Very uncomfortable. :(

Anybody here go to or have UoT as their alma mater?

What did you study and how was your experience?

They consistently rank high but from the few people I've asked I have heard less than favorable reviews so I was curious how it went/is going for you.

Engineering Science (Computer) only did 3 years (yeah..leaving the 4th year makes no sense but I pretty much had a mental breakdown)

In terms of community, I don't think UofT actually has one...the issue is that for such a large school, it is too integrated into the city so it doesn't feel like how you imagine university life to be like...

Wait...I should ask first. What campus are you looking at?

Can't speak for the Scarborough campus..but the main downtown one (St. George) is the one I was referring to above. However, I know pretty well the Erindale campus (located in mississauga) and THAT campus always elt more "together" due to where it is situated (basically, it is in the high end of Mississauga/Streetsville)

whitehawk

Banned
Engineering Science (Computer) only did 3 years (yeah..leaving the 4th year makes no sense but I pretty much had a mental breakdown)

In terms of community, I don't think UofT actually has one...the issue is that for such a large school, it is too integrated into the city so it doesn't feel like how you imagine university life to be like...

Wait...I should ask first. What campus are you looking at?

Can't speak for the Scarborough campus..but the main downtown one (St. George) is the one I was referring to above. However, I know pretty well the Erindale campus (located in mississauga) and THAT campus always elt more "together" due to where it is situated (basically, it is in the high end of Mississauga/Streetsville)
I can agree with the lack if community part. I was at uoft for only one year, but I never really felt like part of a group. now I'm at York and decidedly feel the community aspect, particularly within my major.

0vKr4JC.jpg

source

Zips

If I recall, UofT tends to lose points in the university rankings for aspects like campus life, with its bread and butter being high academic scores.

In my own experience to get a good campus experience at UofT you have to make a conscious effort to find out about and get involved with groups/things going on, and if you're commuting far that's hard to do.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
If I recall, UofT tends to lose points in the university rankings for aspects like campus life, with its bread and butter being high academic scores.

In my own experience to get a good campus experience at UofT you have to make a conscious effort to find out about and get involved with groups/things going on, and if you're commuting far that's hard to do.

there are communities there and yeah it's what you make of it.

i was in the japanese language exchange or something...and i kinda regret not going to more.

I went to the Ai Wei Wei exhibit at the AGO today. It was really good stuff, although I remember how much I hate crowded museums.

I was there yesterday, not as busy as I thought it would be on a weekend. Kinda got annoyed at everybody taking pictures with their smartphones, though. I guess I'm just out of touch. But yeah the exhibit was pretty damn good.

I've actually never been to the AGO before so I walked around the main gallery for a while. There's a painting there worth $117 million. I couldn't pick my jaw up off the floor when I was told that.

ZZMitch

Yeah I enjoy the community aspects of UofT (well Victoria College moreso, I lived on res there for two years). My favorite part of UofT at this point is intramural sports. I play flag football, hockey, water polo, basketball and a few other tournament sports and it is awesome! I also run all coed sports at Victoria College so I have something to put on my resume heh!

There is good stuff to do at UofT instead of just studying. There are clubs for most major hobbies. I even went the Magic: the Gathering club for a semester or so.

But I can see community being a problem if you commute from far away. Living on res for two years was great since I live about a thousand miles away, but also because it was a great way to make friends. 90% of my friends are Victoria College people. I definitely feel like I am part of a tight-nit community here at Vic.

whitehawk

Banned
Just came back from Tough Mudder. Pretty crazy event. It's a 17km run with some really cool obstacles between them. However for me, the running was the hardest part. Since they decided to do it on a ski resort, there are TONS of hill you have to climb. That was arguable harder than any of the obstacles. Which by the way, I completed all without falling/failing. Quite proud of that. The electric shocks don't "hurt", but it's certainly uncomfortable. Best part was just getting covered in mud head to toe. Fun stuff. I would recommend it. Just work on your cardio before doing it. Even if you just walk the whole think, the hills will still kill you.

soultron

Banned
I always hate myself whenever I go/get dragged to Spring Rolls (or the cleverly disguised Spring Sushi in Yonge & Dundas next to the theatre) because it is terrible and overpriced. Ugh. I hope people visiting don't make that their only sushi experience.

Eleuin

Sorry for the late response but thanks for the feedback guys.

As others have said a common complaint from people I asked was that the size of the school was too big for its own good.

Not knowing what I want to get into definitely makes these decisions harder but I appreciate the advice on campus life especially for someone who is going to commute.

Zips

Yeah I enjoy the community aspects of UofT (well Victoria College moreso, I lived on res there for two years). My favorite part of UofT at this point is intramural sports. I play flag football, hockey, water polo, basketball and a few other tournament sports and it is awesome! I also run all coed sports at Victoria College so I have something to put on my resume heh!

There is good stuff to do at UofT instead of just studying. There are clubs for most major hobbies. I even went the Magic: the Gathering club for a semester or so.

But I can see community being a problem if you commute from far away. Living on res for two years was great since I live about a thousand miles away, but also because it was a great way to make friends. 90% of my friends are Victoria College people. I definitely feel like I am part of a tight-nit community here at Vic.

Yeah, getting involved in stuff on campus is good for the resume too, and especially so for leading to a career at the university. Wish I'd realized that while doing my undergrad. Oh well - at least I've picked up a bunch of stuff in the past year or so that adds some nice bullet points.

I could never really afford/cough up the money to live on campus. It probably would have been pretty nice, and led to all sorts of stuff I never got into. Since it took so long for me to get home, I usually just wanted to get going soon after classes.

Azih

Yeah I'll echo what everyone else said, much like Toronto itself, you have to unearth the good community stuff on your own to participate in. At first glance, and even on the second, there is nothing there.

I spent three years at UTM (Mississauga campus) and the last year downtown and I do have to say the UTM crowd in my program was waaay more friendly and helpful compared to downtown. There's just too many people so everyone in their tiny groups all the way through instead of the whole class pretty much knowing each other by the end of the program like in the much smaller UTM.

A friend of mine who did most of her stuff downtown and only had one course at UTM said she made more friends in that one course then she did in all the rest of her time at St.George.

That might have something to do with our program though. Comp Sci people tend to be somewhat insular. :)

I spent Sunday with my wife at Toronto Island. What a beautiful day. I love that place. The key for a nice day there is to take the ferry to Ward's Island instead of Centre Island since it's way more secluded and peaceful.

photo of the day:

sFYf0QV.jpg

source

Roto13

added_time, did you ever end up playing Guacamelee? I know you were interested when it was a PSN exclusive and I told you it would probably end up on Steam eventually, and it did. :p

added_time, did you ever end up playing Guacamelee? I know you were interested when it was a PSN exclusive and I told you it would probably end up on Steam eventually, and it did. :p

Oh, it did? Awesome! I'm trying to save money for an upcoming trip at the moment but I'll definitely pick it up after that (or if it goes on sale)

Azih

So Drake is going to be running the Toronto Raptors or something?

Insert Started from the bottom, we still here joke.

Seriously though I think the NBA All Star game is going to be a crazy fun time in the city because of everything else other than the game itself.

Anyone have any good restaurant recommendations for the east side? I'm gonna be around Leslieville tonight but would be willing to go up to the Danforth as well if need be. Danke.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So Drake is going to be running the Toronto Raptors or something?

Insert Started from the bottom, we still here joke.

Seriously though I think the NBA All Star game is going to be a crazy fun time in the city because of everything else other than the game itself.

I am extremely hyped for the all-star game. I know it's damn near impossible that I'll be able to get tickets but I'm saving up for it anyways.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Remember that Seinfeld where he was given a free suit?

Am I gonna get a job from it? :D

Rant:
Bell retentions is fucking useless. I quoted a plan from the Rogers site; I didn't even fudge anything, it's right fucking their on their site! What does retention do? Offer me a more expensive plan with not even the same data plan! Her second plan was a cheaper plan than the one I currently have with 150 mb more data (total 650mb). Rogers offered 2GB unlimited Canada wide calling, unlimited text, video messaging, and pictures for 65 dollars if you bring your own phone in. She offered 80 dollars for the same fucking thing! Seriously?!

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/share-everything

And now I'm fucking stuck cause who knows how much longer Wind/Mobilicity are going to be around.

Sober

Damn, that seems far away. Maybe I'll stay for something local instead. Fuzzy! Are there any midnight launches in our area?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Don't worry, I don't want $200 in booze. Only $175.

just kidding, a few drinks is fine as long as you don't sell it
I wouldn't sell it.

Damn, that seems far away. Maybe I'll stay for something local instead. Fuzzy! Are there any midnight launches in our area?
MORE DETAILS ON SPECIFIC LOCATIONS TO COME SOON!

Ontario:

• London
• Richmond Hill
• Barrie
• Oshawa
• Ottawa
• Hamilton
• Guelph
http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/zQrRwyQ64CILripvxvjSWGhuZNf8Rz7Y?country=CA?=en

I guess you could always hit up Richmond Hill. No final details yet.

Going to Toronto for a week for work (and Calgary later on). I have an unlocked iPhone 5 (AT&T/GSM). What's the best prepaid SIM I should get? I'm not too worried about calls. Just texts and a bit of data.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Councillors Giorgio Mammoliti and David Shiner have been renting apartments at an apparent steep discount from a company that does a significant amount of business with the city, the CBC reports. Greenwin-Verdiroc, the owners of 88 Erskine Ave., near Yonge and Eglinton, manage Toronto Community Housing, develop social housing, and donated to Mammoliti and Shiner's election campaigns in 2006 and 2010.

Whoops

Blackhead

Redarse
^^^
added_time, that pic made my day!

Going to Toronto for a week for work (and Calgary later on). I have an unlocked iPhone 5 (AT&T/GSM). What's the best prepaid SIM I should get? I'm not too worried about calls. Just texts and a bit of data.

see Pay as You Go Sim with Data Wiki (Canada) although it's a little outdated.

Check if the iPhone 5 works with AWS bands (or consider switching for one that does). If yes then get a prepaid sim from Wind mobile.

Otherwise try Koodo Make sure to read the fine print (e.g calls made in Calgary will cost more if you got the simcard with a Toronto number...)

Also consider Similicious if you want a simple and streamlined simcard service for travelers. It's more expensive than wind.

Top Bottom