• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Hieberrr

Yeah, that's kind of the rub. Y&D would be a decent place to go to since there are 3 within close proximity (Sansotei, Santouka, and Raiji), so if one is full, we can try the others.

Kinton is great, but it's arguably one of the busiest ramen shops in Toronto. Ryuu's is right next door, but I'd not recommend going to it. I've had 50/50 good/bad experiences of the maybe 4 times I've been.

If we were to go between lunch and dinner on a weekend day, there'd be a decent chance to get in, but any time after 5 on a weekend day is a gamble, especially Saturday.

We could probably get away with a group of maybe 6-8. Any more than that and I think we'd get split up or not even seated at the same time.

How are Korean BBQ places in TO? Any spacious ones downtown that we could invade? I've not tried KBBQ and figured you duders might know some top spots. Meet ups?
Korea town, right outside of of Christie Station. It has been my go-to spot for the past 3 years -- it's called Hang Won Korean Cuisine. Get Sam Gyup Sal with Chigae.

I can vouch for this place.

Edit: you're going to smell like food after

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I had a place but the owners changed and it hasn't been the same. I go to Arisu now and get their glorious Bossam which is steamed pork belly with lettuce wraps.

Fucking hell I'm drooling thinking about it...I need to get me some of that good stuff while I'm here.

Quadratic

Speaking of which, I'm going for Korean Fried Chicken tonight.

When are you back from Korea Kuro? I'm sure there can be another meetup before it gets too cold.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
How many times have you heard the song play?
Nah they don't play it. Though one of the stations here, Yangjae station, has a mural for him.

Otherwise not even once. They also had some official sign depicting the 4 styles of gangnam some shit. Maybe I'll go take some pics now. I got lots of pics of other stuff and my vacation is only half over.

krae_man

I just randomly checked fanexpo's website and next years show is Labor Day weekend. I'm going to miss Isny picking a restaurant that's out of business and that makes me sad.

Sober

I just randomly checked fanexpo's website and next years show is Labor Day weekend. I'm going to miss Isny picking a restaurant that's out of business and that makes me sad.
Surely the people that run FanExpo can't be that incompetent?

Also who's to say isny doesn't actually have the power to put a restaurant out of business and he just chooses to use it once a year during fanexpo?

soultron

Banned
Surely the people that run FanExpo can't be that incompetent?

I had to wait over an hour in line to use an escalator to get out of the MTCC this past FanExpo. Shit is nuts and it gets worse every year. Labour Day weekend? Cool, sounds like Hobby Star.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I had to wait over an hour in line to use an escalator to get out of the MTCC this past FanExpo. Shit is nuts and it gets worse every year. Labour Day weekend? Cool, sounds like Hobby Star.
Yup. I recall liking it at one point but it has only shrunk in size, increased in price and selection, and gotten more crowded.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I was just talking with some friends last night about when fan expo started out. I miss the days of being able to walk up to the kiosk on opening night and buying a weekend pass.

Stet

Banned
Paradise Toronto Comicon used to be the shit too, and then Wizard World bought it. It's been less good ever since.

Brinbe

Went to the gamercamp last night for a bit over at Spadina. Was really nice and it was fun to play contrast and some of the other indie titles there. With this and the PS4 experience at STC yesterday (tried Killzone and holy mother of God that game is incredible), I've had my fill of the console over the past few days. I might go back to Scarbs next week because they said they'd be getting FIFA/2K demos in and I NEED to play those.

Anyway, some quick, ugly pics.
qSBQUgy.jpg

iYEDsvO.jpg

VKrGIAC.jpg

7ncQCmG.jpg

6Hgdpnz.jpg

q5vgrWR.jpg

MTT94s3.jpg

Also, anyone else checkin out that Rugby at BMO today? I couldn't refuse a chance to watch one of the best teams in the world (the all blacks) whoop on our Canadian chumps
KuGsj.gif

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Paradise Toronto Comicon used to be the shit too, and then Wizard World bought it. It's been less good ever since.

So far at least TCAF while getting bigger is still a lot of fun. But I think it's getting close to the tipping point.

Stet

Banned
So far at least TCAF while getting bigger is still a lot of fun. But I think it's getting close to the tipping point.

I had a good time last year, but it was really crowded. For a free event though, it was surprisingly easy to see and talk to people I wanted to meet.

Quadratic

That's a very cool gif Rinoa. Shows how many people mass transit can carry vs single occupant cars.

There's a newish Hot Pot place on Spadina called Celebrity Hot Pot. Anyone tried it yet? It's very spacious inside. Could be a good candidate for a GAF meetup. I went to a Hot Pot place in Boston with a Gaffer during PAX.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
That's a very cool gif Rinoa. Shows how many people mass transit can carry vs single occupant cars.

There's a newish Hot Pot place on Spadina called Celebrity Hot Pot. Anyone tried it yet? It's very spacious inside. Could be a good candidate for a GAF meetup. I went to a Hot Pot place in Boston with a Gaffer during PAX.

Let's do it. I love hotpot

Divvy

What's a hot pot?

Sounds tasty...and hot.

The best meal ever.

Get some meat, get some veggies and fish tofu. Now you take this home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato. Baby, you’ve got a stew going.

Real answer:

It's Chinese fondue basically. Pot of broth in the middle, cook veggies and meats and whatevers to your liking.

soultron

Banned
Hot Pot is pretty great.

Had some real Korean bibimbap for the first time last night. Went to a place in North York, IIRC. Loved it.

explodet

And apparently I'm employed again! It ain't games, but hopefully I can use my gained knowledge to work on an indie project on the side.
Thanks to all of y'all for the condolences when I lost my old one. Spent my time off laughing at the current mayoral shenanigans.

I just randomly checked fanexpo's website and next years show is Labor Day weekend.
If I still went to this I'd actually give a damn. The crowds and lines are too much and I buy enough geek junk online already.

Now if you'll excuse me, all this hot pot talk has made me hungry.

isny

napkin dispenser

Why won't I come if it's on Labour Day weekend? Or will YOU just not be coming?

Also who's to say isny doesn't actually have the power to put a restaurant out of business and he just chooses to use it once a year during fanexpo?

This, mwahaha! With great power comes great responsibilty.

Zips

Well this is a big bust. Got an antenna today and after fiddling with it have a whopping TWO channels coming in.

Where are all the others?...blah, so disappointing. Will probably end up returning it if this is the best I can get.

Quadratic

I made plans with some of my friends this weekend to test drive that Hot Pot place. If it passes snuff this Saturday I'll recommend it for a GAF meetup spot. All You Can Eat.

Divvy

Bimbimbap is great. Except for the shitty places in this city that don't give you the egg. Those are worse than Hitler.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I saw two apartments with Christmas lights up. Halloween is just over. At least wait until after the Santa Claus parade or something.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I saw two apartments with Christmas lights up. Halloween is just over. At least wait until after the Santa Claus parade or something.
They could've been people celebrating Diwali. I went to my brother's house in Brampton on Saturday and there were a few houses in his neighbourhood with lights up and they were all Hindu.

Rinoa

I don't like bibimbap and hot pot.
Refuse to pay money for the equivalent of lazy home cooking!
/dodges tomatoes

They could've been people celebrating Diwali.

I hated having to explain why my xmas lights are up the week after Halloween to peeps as a kid in a portugese/italian/koraen hood.

Omlagus

Well this is a big bust. Got an antenna today and after fiddling with it have a whopping TWO channels coming in.

Where are all the others?...blah, so disappointing. Will probably end up returning it if this is the best I can get.

Go to the tvfool website and put in your location. That will give you a good ideaof what you should be able to get .

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like bibimbap and hot pot.
Refuse to pay money for the equivalent of lazy home cooking!
/dodges tomatoes

I hated having to explain why my xmas lights are up the week after Halloween to peeps as a kid in a portugese/italian/koraen hood.
You should all try flower bibimbap.

I'm not sure I'll get a chance during this trip, it's really out of the fucking way, but I have an old pic of it somewhere. Looked great and tasted awesome

Last night, I had grilled scallops mixed with mozzarella and onions. How the hell this turned out heavenly I got no idea.

wow, there's hotpot places in toronto? i was just saying to a friend how much i would miss hotpot when i left china. do you guys know if there's also chinese barbecue places (shao kao) in toronto?

10.jpg

Sober

wow, there's hotpot places in toronto? i was just saying to a friend how much i would miss hotpot when i left china. do you guys know if there's also chinese barbecue places (shao kao) in toronto?

http://www.neurofractal.org/felix/photos/chengdu_dec05-Images/10.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
At the very ummm .... worst (?) the same place that runs all those AYCE Korean BBQ places also has a Hot Pot operation, sometimes even next door to their KBBQ places. I actually haven't hunted for any downtown but there was one good one by Pacific Mall.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
They could've been people celebrating Diwali. I went to my brother's house in Brampton on Saturday and there were a few houses in his neighbourhood with lights up and they were all Hindu.

Never thought of Diwali but the one place always has their lights up early and their Christmas tree is generally up by mid November at the latest.

The Daily Show is back on the Ford story lol

Jon Stewart mentioning the Danforth by name is jarring.

Yeah, that was a bit weird.

Top Bottom