• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Dyno

This petition made the Facebook rounds last night. Thought it might promote discussion.

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitio...hleen-wynne-de-amalgamate-the-city-of-toronto

Here's the gist if you don't want to hit the link.

Former Premier Mike Harris’s experiment to amalgamate Metro Toronto and the surrounding municipalities into the City of Toronto ("megacity") has failed miserably. After 15 years, the social and economic fabric of the megacity has been gravely compromised, pitting the priorities of the suburbs against those of the downtown. This has created an ongoing lose-lose situation for all communities inside the City of Toronto and does not bode well for the future.

The amalgamation was forced upon us, despite a municipal referendum in 1997 in which over three quarters of voters rejected the megacity.

“Not a single municipality affected was in favour of the merger,” wrote Mitchell Anderson, in his recent opinion piece in the Toronto Star. “And all but one joined a legal challenge opposing it. The amalgamation bill was rammed through the Ontario legislature in one of the most bitterly contested battles in provincial history with opposition parties tabling 13,000 amendments over a two-week period in an ultimately futile filibuster.”

Billed as a way to save local governments lots of money, Barry Hertz of the National Post wrote on the eve of the 10th anniversary of amalgamation, “Promised savings of $300-million per year never materialized. Staff is up, not down. The city employs 4,015 more people today than it did in 1998.”

It’s time to correct the wrongs of the past so that each municipality can best determine how to serve its unique needs – socially, politically, and economically.

We are asking Premier Kathleen Wynne to re-open this issue and review all the avenues available for de-amalgamation of our beloved communities.

I signed it to see what would happen. Amalgamation is not irreversible. In truth there are lots of things that haven't yet been amalgamated after fifteen years that should have, like municipal by-laws. We could do it. It would probably improve relations. The boroughs could go back to being friendly neighbours rather than resentful room-mates.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
AM radio just got a tiny bit better

Jonathan Goldsbie ‏@goldsbie 1m

Our long, weekly nightmare is over. RT @StrashinCBC: 1010 cuts ties with Fords, The City will no longer air.

Anony

This petition made the Facebook rounds last night. Thought it might promote discussion.

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitio...hleen-wynne-de-amalgamate-the-city-of-toronto

Here's the gist if you don't want to hit the link.

I signed it to see what would happen. Amalgamation is not irreversible. In truth there are lots of things that haven't yet been amalgamated after fifteen years that should have, like municipal by-laws. We could do it. It would probably improve relations. The boroughs could go back to being friendly neighbours rather than resentful room-mates.

please no, that's just dumb and backwards

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I think on paper de-amalgamation is a good idea, but there may be issues or costs I'm unaware of.

I can't think of any benefit amalgamation has brought us though.

soultron

Banned
Sorry to add another Ford story to the pile, but I thought this piece from the Edmonton Journal was interesting. It discusses some of the ties between Edmonton and Toronto with regards to some youth in the Dixon Goonies being Somali-Canadians and how that affects both cities.

Paula Simons said:
In Toronto, they’re known as the Dixon Bloods. Or the Dixon City Bloods. Or the Dixon Goonies. Many — though not all — are Somali-Canadian.

According to Toronto police, the gang has been “networking with associates” in Edmonton since 2006.

Sober

Not TO talk necessarily but has anyone gotten their hands on the new 5$ and 10$ bills? Gonna see if I can nab one from work tonight at the register (I have some old paper bills to swap in return).

Also, has anyone ever seen those hidden numbers in that transparent maple leaf on the new bills? I cannot for the life of me see them ever.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
We need a meetup when Kuro gets back. I miss him insulting me.
I got stories, pictures, bitching, and gifts!

Who was that big Culdcept fan? Sober? Crewnh? Might wanna come to the next meet up I'm at is all I'm sayin

Also picked up some sweet ass Monster Hunter figures.

Damn you, cat! LEAD OUR LEAFS THROUGH THESE DARK TIMES!

Stet

Banned
De-amalgamation is an idealistic prospect, unfortunately. It would cost way too much money and no counsellors would want to vote for it if they're not part of the "core" because they'd be afraid they'd go back to getting less money from the provincial government, and no counsellors who are part of the "core" would vote for it because then they could never run for mayor if the vote failed.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
So someone jumped in front of train coming in at Leslie station. A friend mine was at the station and saw it firsthand.
Goddamn!

Still not sure how some transit systems can have structures to prevent this in all subway stops yet cities like NY and TO can't supposedly afford it

Did the person get killed?

Magnus

Fuck. I usually board at Leslie station but not this morning. I don't think I'd ever be able to erase that image from my brain.

Goddamn!

Still not sure how some transit systems can have structures to prevent this in all subway stops yet cities like NY and TO can't supposedly afford it

Did the person get killed?
I didn't really ask for details. All he could say was that they were "NOT okay". He seemed pretty shook up so I thought it wouldn't be okay if I asked.

When I checked newsites, I didn't see anyone reporting it. On twitter the ttc reported a delay and I found a tweet from a girl who said her uncle was an operator for the train. But it's like it didn't even happen.

Spl1nter

TTC/City of Toronto never report on suicides. General consensus that reporting on it causes more people to commit it in this fashion.

edit: Its called the copycat suicide effect, forgot the term.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Fair enough

Magnus, did I street pass you?! D:

Also, still no word from any of you guys...

Meet up this Saturday or next? Who would be interested? Or are the console launches too much?

Fair enough

Meet up this Saturday or next? Who would be interested? Or are the console launches too much?
im going to suggest a Friday thing, or much further down the road. Launches and weekend are sucking a lot of my time.

Zips

I've always imagined the anti-suicide equipment isn't missing from the stations so much for reasons of "not being able to afford it" as that it just hasn't been a priority of TTC leadership. It's just never high enough on the list of To Do things to get the funds set aside for it.

I'm guessing the suicides don't cause much of any damage to the trains/systems themselves? Just delays.

On the topic of TV antennas again - I've been contemplating returning the one I got and getting the TERK one that's supposedly the best of the indoor antennas.

I originally went with a flat/'Omni-directional' box-shaped one as I figured my girlfriend wouldn't like the eyesore of the TERK one. She did balk at the looks of it when I showed her the pictures, but seems somewhat open to the idea now if it could get us up to having a solid 5 - 10 clear channels at the same time as opposed to the 2 - 3 we generally have now.

Any Toronto-gaf members able to share their experiences with it? I've read the reviews on Amazon, and they seem promising, but I'm cautious since for all I know it might not end up getting anything more than we've been able to.

The TERK one also can't be wall-mounted, right? Has to be planted on a table/flat surface of some sort?

Quadratic

Fair enough

Back in Toronto? I can do ether weekend. I have a PS4 incoming but I don't really need to obsess over it.

December won't be a good time for me because of holiday parties and dinners.

I did check out the new Hot Pot place on Spadina and they have some adequate seating. Larger parties 8+ need to reserve ahead of time. $25-28 around.

Omlagus

On the topic of TV antennas again - I've been contemplating returning the one I got and getting the TERK one that's supposedly the best of the indoor antennas.

I originally went with a flat/'Omni-directional' box-shaped one as I figured my girlfriend wouldn't like the eyesore of the TERK one. She did balk at the looks of it when I showed her the pictures, but seems somewhat open to the idea now if it could get us up to having a solid 5 - 10 clear channels at the same time as opposed to the 2 - 3 we generally have now.

Any Toronto-gaf members able to share their experiences with it? I've read the reviews on Amazon, and they seem promising, but I'm cautious since for all I know it might not end up getting anything more than we've been able to.

The TERK one also can't be wall-mounted, right? Has to be planted on a table/flat surface of some sort?

I started out with a TERK. First I put it on top of the entertainment unit, and got 8 - 10 channels. Then I put it up in the attic and picked up another handful. Of course, then I ditched it altogether and install a roof mount antenna, but obviously depending on where you live that might not be an option. Elevation is key for antennas so you can avoid interference. Other thing you can do is try a signal amplifier. That could help some. And of course point it at the CN tower. Plug your address in on the TV Fool website http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13 and that will give you a good idea of what you should be able to pick up for your location.

Zips

I started out with a TERK. First I put it on top of the entertainment unit, and got 8 - 10 channels. Then I put it up in the attic and picked up another handful. Of course, then I ditched it altogether and install a roof mount antenna, but obviously depending on where you live that might not be an option. Elevation is key for antennas so you can avoid interference. Other thing you can do is try a signal amplifier. That could help some. And of course point it at the CN tower. Plug your address in on the TV Fool website http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13 and that will give you a good idea of what you should be able to pick up for your location.

Already checked out the tvfool website, and there are about 5-7 channels in the green, with another 6-8 in the yellow (2 seem to be greenish-yellow). Several of those yellow ones are 50-ish miles away, which is supposedly the range of the TERK.

We live on a high floor of a condo building, so outdoor/roof options aren't really possible, but we do have good elevation. Pointing what we have right now in the direction of the CN Tower generally nets us Global and either CBS or CTV. Putting it on different parts of the wall gets us other things like TVO and OMNI 2 (while losing one or more of the others), and one night we had NBC in clearly but now can't seem to get it again. The few American channels we've gotten seem to require facing a somewhat different angle than the CN tower is relative to our location, causing us to lose most of the Canadian stuff.

If the TERK thing can grab basically all those channels at the same time (the more the better, of course), and do it clearly/without having to move the whole thing around, then I'll get it.

Omlagus

Already checked out the tvfool website, and there are about 5-7 channels in the green, with another 6-8 in the yellow (2 seem to be greenish-yellow). Several of those yellow ones are 50-ish miles away, which is supposedly the range of the TERK.

We live on a high floor of a condo building, so outdoor/roof options aren't really possible, but we do have good elevation. Pointing what we have right now in the direction of the CN Tower generally nets us Global and either CBS or CTV. Putting it on different parts of the wall gets us other things like TVO and OMNI 2 (while losing one or more of the others), and one night we had NBC in clearly but now can't seem to get it again. The few American channels we've gotten seem to require facing a somewhat different angle than the CN tower is relative to our location, causing us to lose most of the Canadian stuff.

If the TERK thing can grab basically all those channels at the same time (the more the better, of course), and do it clearly/without having to move the whole thing around, then I'll get it.

I'd say it's worth trying at least, if you can get it from somewhere with easy returns. Can't hurt to try. It's probably also worth picking up an amplifier as well if you can, as that may help you pick up more of the further channels. Only thing to watch for that is that it may end up boosting the closer stations too much and oversaturating the tuner, so you might not end up in a better position than without it. All depends on what sort of signal strength you get with the close stations.

Zips

I'd say it's worth trying at least, if you can get it from somewhere with easy returns. Can't hurt to try. It's probably also worth picking up an amplifier as well if you can, as that may help you pick up more of the further channels. Only thing to watch for that is that it may end up boosting the closer stations too much and oversaturating the tuner, so you might not end up in a better position than without it. All depends on what sort of signal strength you get with the close stations.

Thanks!

In your experience with the TERK, did it have a lot of the issue we've had with this (supposedly "Omni-directional") one where one spot gets one channel, and another spot a few inches away gets another (while losing the first)? Or was it able to catch basically all that was available, at that elevation, at the same time from a single spot in your place?

Omlagus

Thanks!

In your experience with the TERK, did it have a lot of the issue we've had with this (supposedly "Omni-directional") one where one spot gets one channel, and another spot a few inches away gets another (while losing the first)? Or was it able to catch basically all that was available, at that elevation, at the same time from a single spot in your place?

From my recollection there was one optimal position in which most of the channels I was able to pick up would come in. I'm up in Vaughan, so it was pretty much a straight shot south would get most local stations and Buffalo. The main exception being CHCH in Hamilton, since I would have to turn too much to pick that up that I would end up losing others, so I never bothered.

If you are closer to downtown and the tower that would probably work to your advantage, even if you don't quite get the height.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
TTC/City of Toronto never report on suicides. General consensus that reporting on it causes more people to commit it in this fashion.

edit: Its called the copycat suicide effect, forgot the term.
Yep, happens all the time. A friend's father growing up was a subway driver and I remember him being off work at least twice for stress leave because he was driving the train when someone jumped in front of it. IIRC he said there was on average one every two weeks back then (early '90s).

BTW, hi to the lurker who I keep streetpassing who's waiting for their account approval here. :)

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't really ask for details. All he could say was that they were "NOT okay". He seemed pretty shook up so I thought it wouldn't be okay if I asked.

When I checked newsites, I didn't see anyone reporting it. On twitter the ttc reported a delay and I found a tweet from a girl who said her uncle was an operator for the train. But it's like it didn't even happen.

From what I've heard, it happens fairly frequently - twice a month or so.

woah woah woah. I went to check my bandwidth usage on rogers.com and it says they are offering unlimited bandwidth for $10 a month now if you have a bundle? Anyone know more about this?

Samyy

woah woah woah. I went to check my bandwidth usage on rogers.com and it says they are offering unlimited bandwidth for $10 a month now if you have a bundle? Anyone know more about this?

My dad yelled at them and got unlimited for free -shrug-
We have landline, cellphones, tv and internet with them so they give us a lot of stuff. If you have a bunch of services with them play the "I've been an customer for x amount of years" card and try to wrangle the price down.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Old news. I've also read that if you're on teksavvy and call Rogers to switch, they'll match teksavvy

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Why would anyone switch away from TekSavvy?

Why, Kuro?
Cause their customer service can suck at times and they can be slow. This is besides the shit that Rogers is responsible for.

In the future, for anyone getting the reach around, contact their VP, Andre. I did and EM did and he is a lot more helpful and will get shit going.

You try dealing with delays and excuses while you're waiting and then come talk.

Roto13

Cause their customer service can suck at times and they can be slow. This is besides the shit that Rogers is responsible for.

In the future, for anyone getting the reach around, contact their VP, Andre. I did and EM did and he is a lot more helpful and will get shit going.

You try dealing with delays and excuses while you're waiting and then come talk.

Yes, maybe if I ever had to deal with their customer service, I'd want to switch to the company with the most notoriously bad, downright intentionally evil customer service in Canada.

Spl1nter

BY4o6BQCcAAGlay.jpg:large

daemonic

Banned
Teksavvy customer service was excellent back when they started. Short waiting times and the reps were always friendly and helpful. Since they've expanded their userbase, however, it's all gone downhill. My last three support calls with them have been a nightmare. I cringe at the thought of calling them next.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, maybe if I ever had to deal with their customer service, I'd want to switch to the company with the most notoriously bad, downright intentionally evil customer service in Canada.
Eh, just providing an alternative.

Rogers hasn't been as bad as Bell...yet...

krae_man

Funny, Rogers just sent me a promo for a 300gb cap for $45/month(No speed given). The first paragraph of the promo said something like "unlimited bandwidth is nice, but not when it costs too much"

Wow, great advertising idea guys "You'd like unlimited data, but we charge you way to much for it so settle for 300gb"

Their ads are always good for lulz but this one by far takes the cake.

Top Bottom