• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

fuck it:

do5zwuH.jpg

source

Went this summer, it's still a good time. Personally, I find it more enjoyable to spend that $20-$30 dollars betting on the horses. The programs give you a lot of information about each race so you can talk it over with your girl and feel like you guys are working together to make the best choice. Makes the races more exciting too. Also! You can go down to the... walkabout? area? and see the horses prepping for each race and walking out to the track. Sometimes the officials let you pet their horse while they're waiting :)

But slots are still ok. The problem with penny slots is most of them make you play a minimum of 20-30 credits, so they effectively cost 30 cents instead of 1. But say you find a good 2 cent machine, you could play one line it for a couple hours. You'd probably get bored before you ran out of money, haha.
Awesome. Yeah we will prob go this weekend though I hear it gets pretty busy. Agreed to not spend more than $20 each. I'm gonna hold onto her wallet so she doesn't go insane cause she has been known to be a scratch card addict in the past lol. Prob mix up both horse races and slots.

I remember going down to the walkabout area as a kid and it was great. Its a bit too cold now. Honestly I didn't even know they had local races through the winter, I thought it was all on the TV out of country races. That's pretty cool.

I didn't think anywhere in Ontario had photo radar.

It has happened that a couple of police cars will sit just beyond those readers and pull over any egregiously speedy drivers. I've seen it on Spadina just south of St Clair, where it's technically 40 but most drivers are +60kph. That's not true-to-form photo radar, though.

explodet

I couldn't disagree.
It's hard not to talk about the Marvelous Misadventures of Rob.

And of course I get a Ford Service tires ad on the top of the screen.

So scotiabank keeps sending me the stupid scene credit card deal by snail mail or what ever and I think im about to cave and just get one since I've only got one credit card and I watch a lot of movies anyway

Is there a catch with this thing?

zroid

Banned
So scotiabank keeps sending me the stupid scene credit card deal by snail mail or what ever and I think im about to cave and just get one since I've only got one credit card and I watch a lot of movies anyway

Is there a catch with this thing?

I ended up caving too, back in January. Although it was a phone call rather than snail mail. I actually only use it to pay for movie tickets because I earn bonus SCENE points that way. Plus the 2000 point sign-up bonus, I'd say it was worth it. They also offered me a fairly large credit limit right off the bat (much higher than the card I normally use), so I figured why not eh.

I ended up caving too, back in January. Although it was a phone call rather than snail mail. I actually only use it to pay for movie tickets because I earn bonus SCENE points that way. Plus the 2000 point sign-up bonus, I'd say it was worth it. They also offered me a fairly large credit limit right off the bat (much higher than the card I normally use), so I figured why not eh.
I got the text messages and the emails yoo but i usually ignore them. Yeah I figured I would just use it for movies. Guess I'll go get one tomorrow just to make them stop. Wonder what limit they'll give me.

Jayhawk

Anybody in the north/east side of town interested in buying a 2-month old purple 3DS? I'm tempted to buy the Zelda 3DS XL bundle now that I know that the game doesn't come pre-installed and is instead a download code that I can also sell off.

soultron

Banned
Tried Touhenboku Ramen tonight. Great ramen all around. Take my list from before, remove Kenzo, slot in Touhenboku between Kinton and Ryoji.

Had the Red (spicy chili oil, I think) ramen. The (chicken!) broth was great, if a little oily. The noodles were fantastic; I got the thick ones and they were like Ryoji's firm noodles, but better. (Also note that you can get chicken meat subbed for chasu if that's your thing! I got the lean pork and it was tasty!)

The karaage was the best I've ever had in Toronto. Better than Kinton's, even. Gyoza was also good. The texture was neat; the pan fried side was very crispy while the remainder was doughy. I liked the contrast.

Service was also great. We asked for lots of sides and they accidentally doubled up some of our orders. Not only did they give us the extra food for free, they knocked 10% off (we had 7 people) our bills AND gave us each 10% off coupons for our next visit. Very nice and friendly, and I'm not even saying that because of the discount plus coupons.

I'll definitely be going back. They have a wicked looking dessert menu that I can't wait to try.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
No, he's right, except Kenzo. Kenzo sucks

But Sansotei is god-tier
I'll have to go again, but it was only ok from what I remember.

Yes, Kenzo does freakin suck. At least he didn't put Noodle Bar in there.

Tried Touhenboku Ramen tonight. Great ramen all around. Take my list from before, remove Kenzo, slot in Touhenboku between Kinton and Ryoji.

Had the Red (spicy chili oil, I think) ramen. The (chicken!) broth was great, if a little oily. The noodles were fantastic; I got the thick ones and they were like Ryoji's firm noodles, but better. (Also note that you can get chicken meat subbed for chasu if that's your thing! I got the lean pork and it was tasty!)

The karaage was the best I've ever had in Toronto. Better than Kinton's, even. Gyoza was also good. The texture was neat; the pan fried side was very crispy while the remainder was doughy. I liked the contrast.

Service was also great. We asked for lots of sides and they accidentally doubled up some of our orders. Not only did they give us the extra food for free, they knocked 10% off (we had 7 people) our bills AND gave us each 10% off coupons for our next visit. Very nice and friendly, and I'm not even saying that because of the discount plus coupons.

I'll definitely be going back. They have a wicked looking dessert menu that I can't wait to try.

Hmmm....interesting...will try soon!

Toronto (Non Japan) Ramen Capital of the World!

What's that?
It's like the museum after dark. There's supposed to be drinks and a jazz band and talks and stuff. The museums closes at 11 on fridays.

Last night while I was out for ramen, someone I was with mentioned he lived near Bessarion Station. I thought he was joking since I'd never heard of it.

Lo and behold, Bessarion Station is a real thing.
I've never stopped there and I always pass it when on the sheppard line almost every day. I've been to every other stop but that.

Roto13

The rain is super weird today. I was walking down Yonge street and there were places where I could see it pouring a few feet away from me, but it wasn't raining at all where I was standing. I'd pull out my umbrella to walk through the rain, and then put it away when I got to the other side of the rain.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The rain is super weird today. I was walking down Yonge street and there were places where I could see it pouring a few feet away from me, but it wasn't raining at all where I was standing. I'd pull out my umbrella to walk through the rain, and then put it away when I got to the other side of the rain.
They're called awnings and they stop the rain when you're under them. God, you're so dumb.

thekidtait

Neo Member
Posted this in the Canada deals thread in Gaming, was directed to put it here by Fuzzy (thanks!).

Has anyone in Toronto checked out that retro game shop in Kensington market? I was around there the other day but didn't have time to check it out. The reviews it has online are not too positive but I would trust the opinion of someone here more before trekking all the way there to check it out.

soultron

Banned
Posted this in the Canada deals thread in Gaming, was directed to put it here by Fuzzy (thanks!).
A huge collection of games old and new. They have a lot of games and systems partially because prices are JACKED. Think I saw the Fire Emblem 3DS bundle for $400, IIRC.

thekidtait

Neo Member
A huge collection of games old and new. They have a lot of games and systems partially because prices are JACKED. Think I saw the Fire Emblem 3DS bundle for $400, IIRC.

Wow that is ridiculous, although I guess jacked up prices are to be expected in this day and age. Thanks for the heads up.

daemonic

Banned
I picked up new copy of Devil Survivor 1 PS2 for $40 at that store. I'm sure I could have found it cheaper but it was more of an impulse buy and the the only Megaten game for PS2 that I didn't own.

Again, they have a great selection but a lot of their stuff is priced absurdly high.

soultron

Banned
I picked up new copy of Devil Survivor 1 PS2 for $40 at that store. I'm sure I could have found it cheaper but it was more of an impulse buy and the the only Megaten game for PS2 that I didn't own.

Again, they have a great selection but a lot of their stuff is priced absurdly high.

The high price increases the probability of you finding what you're looking for, especially with more niche items.

I'd recommend calling ahead if you're looking for something specific, if possible. However, It's totally worth popping in just to see some rare games/carts in person.

Top Bottom