• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Kenzo is ass, how can you not mention Santouka? Santouka and Sansotei are easily the 2 best.

Santouka is terribly boring. Bland decor, bland ramen, even the cooks seem bored. Nobody in that place seems to be happy like every other spot I've been to. Kinton cooks and service staff are the best example of being fucking psyched to serve you delicious ramen.

Nothing about it is remarkable, in my opinion.

OK time to settle this (in my opinion anyways).
Lining up for Santouka.

I wouldn't put this place as a top two, but you can't tell me this place is worse than bloody Kenzo. I got the pork jowl ramen with some seaweed, corn, and a miso base soup. Uninspired? I wouldn't say so. The pork was excellently prepared, it wasn't dry and it wasn't overly seasoned. The soup itself was the same; it was just short of being over seasoned. The noodles were ok and nothing special. Kind of expensive for what you get too.
ibzzoN4Dhy84yp.jpg

Overall, I'd recommend it over Kenzo, but it certainly isn't as good as Kinton and Sansotei in terms of taste. It's definitely worth a try, but I'm not sure it's worth the wait when there are other restaurants nearby.

The hipster couple next to us talking about music and how to save it didn't help...goddamn these self important and self obsessed 'artists'

Damn TTC stopping subway service at Eglinton. How do you expect people to use public transit when its such a pain in the ass!

Well, at least they offer shuttle service in its absence. It's going to get worse before it gets better. Example: Took me 20 minutes to get from my GO train to the TTC northbound platform at Union on Thursday. There are more signs of more things being moved/closed which will eventually improve mobility, but in the meantime a kajillion hours of productivity will be lost in the construction swamp that is the Union concourse level.

man, I could use one of those cheques they mail to us every few months right now. anyone know if one will come before the holidays?

edit: fml, i think they're coming in january

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
how much were those 2 ramens Kuro Madoushi?
Mine was 17 as it came with the pork. I believe the wife's was around 10. Though she ordered extras. I had an Asahi black, my ramen extra large, her ramen and the seaweed and corn extra, and it came to 50 taxes and tip on.
Ryoji is still good doe rite
Have to try it before I shit on it. But I've heard good stuff

All you fuckers avoid Noodle Bar for Ramen.

soultron

Banned
So Ramen is one of those soups that has a pork base right?

Typically, yeah, I think so. However, some places in Toronto offer chicken bases (Touhenboku offers many chicken based broths), and some places even do chicken meat (Kinton, limited to 30 bowls/week starting on Monday, IIRC) with their chicken based broth!

At some places, the vegetarian option may have a truly meat-free base, but you should get in touch with them to find out since that tends to be a rarity.

Azih

Typically, yeah, I think so. However, some places in Toronto offer chicken bases (Touhenboku offers many chicken based broths), and some places even do chicken meat (Kinton, limited to 30 bowls/week starting on Monday, IIRC) with their chicken based broth!

At some places, the vegetarian option may have a truly meat-free base, but you should get in touch with them to find out since that tends to be a rarity.

Man that pork must be hella tasty cuz you guys put it in evverry damn thing (Won't somebody think of the muslims and the jews!)

soultron

Banned
Man that pork must be hella tasty cuz you guys put it in evverry damn thing (Won't somebody think of the muslims and the jews!)

I think the chicken offering is safe(r), although you'd have to ask if it's Halal. Still, I'd always ask with the chicken stuff since sometimes pork "elements" (bones, etc.) may be used even in the chicken or vegetable ramen.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Whaddya mean 'you guys'? >=(

Ryoji is next in my list. But for today, I went to Pizza Pide as I haven't been there in a long ass time and I feel bad as it's literally 4 blocks from my place and I should suppor neighbourhood businesses.

I got the assorted number 18 that has a bunch of different flavours in each slice. Damn, it was a good recommendation by the owner. I didn't think the combination of lamb with pizza would work, but man am I tempted to go back and get one again. It was easy to eat and I loves the variety of flavours. Sure, you can get a large pizza with pepperoni for 10 dollars, but the meat in this thing was jam packed and there was so much taste in every slice.

Just found out teksavvy is raising prices in January. $2 for non-unlimited plans and $0 for unlimited plans. Problem is there is a filing before the CRTC by Rogers that could make another price increase come soon after that would see a rise upwards of $10 a month for Teksavvy customers. This would kill Teksavvy probably. At least this is my understanding of a post by the president of Teksavvy on dslreports from two weeks ago.

Blackhead

Redarse
Just found out teksavvy is raising prices in January. $2 for non-unlimited plans and $0 for unlimited plans. Problem is there is a filing before the CRTC by Rogers that could make another price increase come soon after that would see a rise upwards of $10 a month for Teksavvy customers. This would kill Teksavvy probably. At least this is my understanding of a post by the president of Teksavvy on dslreports from two weeks ago.

Could you link to that post?

Inspired by TheVerge report on the 'cheapest' way to get HBO in America, I've been researching the options in Canada. I stumbled upon VMedia which is offering a very good deal. I'd hate to see Teksavvy go under though :(

Quadratic

Whaddya mean 'you guys'? >=(

Ryoji is next in my list. But for today, I went to Pizza Pide as I haven't been there in a long ass time and I feel bad as it's literally 4 blocks from my place and I should suppor neighbourhood businesses.

I got the assorted number 18 that has a bunch of different flavours in each slice. Damn, it was a good recommendation by the owner. I didn't think the combination of lamb with pizza would work, but man am I tempted to go back and get one again. It was easy to eat and I loves the variety of flavours. Sure, you can get a large pizza with pepperoni for 10 dollars, but the meat in this thing was jam packed and there was so much taste in every slice.

Nice!

I think pide is going to be the next "hot" ethnic thing. It's like a pizza. It's very friendly to every palette. What's your opinion versus Mr. Pide on the Danforth? I happen to enjoy the sport peppers, lemon, onion, raw tomato and parsley. And what is the dipping sauce? I swear it's ranch dressing.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Nice!

I think pide is going to be the next "hot" ethnic thing. It's like a pizza. It's very friendly to every palette. What's your opinion versus Mr. Pide on the Danforth? I happen to enjoy the sport peppers, lemon, onion, raw tomato and parsley. And what is the dipping sauce? I swear it's ranch dressing.
I didn't get any dipping sauce with mine. Mine came with a side of parsley, onions, sliced tomatoes, a lemon and a pepper.

I hope it's the next ethnic dish to take off. If you were to give me a choice between Pizzeria Libretto on the Danforth or Pizza Pide, I'd pick Pide hands down. Suck it, EM! You snow loving baldy!

It's my birthday today and my wife wants to take me out for sushi. What is the best sushi that is in between the cheap shitty ones (like Sushi On Bloor) and the ridiculously expensive great ones?
So the best middle ground price sushi.. or whatever you call it?

I trust the Asian food force in here.... gimme a recommendation!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
It's my birthday today and my wife wants to take me out for sushi. What is the best sushi that is in between the cheap shitty ones (like Sushi On Bloor) and the ridiculously expensive great ones?

JaBistro

Divvy

I was just looking at that website... too bad my wife is vegetarian :(

It's hard to go to the best places when you have a vegetarian wife. Oh well.

Ah, no seafood for her?

You could try Yuzu no Hana. It's supposed to be good and probably has some basic vegetarian things.

Also Happy Birthday!

Ah, no seafood for her?

You could try Yuzu no Hana. It's supposed to be good and probably has some basic vegetarian things.

Also Happy Birthday!

Thanks!

We had it narrowed down to either Nami or Yuzu no Hana and she picked Nami.. hope it's good! Leaving now!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Dammit added! Sushi Moto! Well, have fun at Nami and have an nice birthday!
nerd!

krae_man

Yeah I got that Teksavvy email too. It also said they are finally going to start tracking data usage and give us a tool to track it ourselves. Rogers is such a ripoff, their cheapest plan is $45.

Divvy

Tried South St. Burger for the first time today. Not as bad as I thought It'd be. A step up from Harvey's.

I don't get how New York Fries can make such mediocre fries.

You had one job

jokkir

Tried South St. Burger for the first time today. Not as bad as I thought It'd be. A step up from Harvey's.

You had one job

They have hot dogs too! Gotta focus on that as well.

zroid

Banned

You had one job

I like their selection of toppings. Some eclectic stuff.

Divvy

Yeah the burger was pretty tasty, thought not salty enough. Fries and onion rings were awful.

I went to P&L's new burger place for lunch yesterday, it was pretty mindblowing.

My Toronto burger rankings:
1. Whippoorwill
2. P&L
3. Murray's

I just hope P&L can survive there. There's about 20 burger places within 5 mins of Queen/Spadina. If Burger's Priest and BQM died I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I went to P&L's new burger place for lunch yesterday, it was pretty mindblowing.

My Toronto burger rankings:
1. Whippoorwill
2. P&L
3. Murray's

I just hope P&L can survive there. There's about 20 burger places within 5 mins of Queen/Spadina. If Burger's Priest and BQM died I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
I haven't been to those 3 yet, but died?! What is this I don't even...

Sober

Cmon Krafty, give us the deets on the December meet up! I want to mark on my calendar when the apocalypse starts.

soultron

Banned
Cross posting this from the Canadian deals thread:

If anyone in Toronto (downtown only, I'm not shipping or driving) wants a brand new PS4, they can have mine for MSRP+taxes. It's still sealed in the box. Got it through work and still haven't opened it.

This might be the dealbreaker for some, but since I got it directly from Sony (perk at work), I do not have a receipt for it. The cost of the unit was deducted from my pay. I understand if that's a dealbreaker for some, but I wanted to be clear about that from the beginning. It's not stolen, it's legit, I'm a trustworthy person who won't stab you at the Eaton Centre, etc. etc.

If you're interested, PM me.

#GreatnessCanWait

EDIT: Kuro's buying it. I GET TO MEET HIM BEFORE ANY OF YOU.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Cmon Krafty, give us the deets on the December meet up! I want to mark on my calendar when the apocalypse starts.

Do it, Kraftwerk. Soultron owes me a picture and a signature of his boss.

Cross posting this from the Canadian deals thread:

If anyone in Toronto (downtown only, I'm not shipping or driving) wants a brand new PS4, they can have mine for MSRP+taxes. It's still sealed in the box. Got it through work and still haven't opened it.

This might be the dealbreaker for some, but since I got it directly from Sony (perk at work), I do not have a receipt for it. The cost of the unit was deducted from my pay. I understand if that's a dealbreaker for some, but I wanted to be clear about that from the beginning. It's not stolen, it's legit, I'm a trustworthy person who won't stab you at the Eaton Centre, etc. etc.

If you're interested, PM me.

#GreatnessCanWait

EDIT: Kuro's buying it. I GET TO MEET HIM BEFORE ANY OF YOU.

REVEL IN THE LEADER OF #TEAMWARM!

I'll admit, I'm no fuzzy....

Top Bottom