• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Rinoa

Doing prep work for AODA on digital/web, not fun... how the heck is this going to be enforced though the internet..

But now you look like an azn(?) from Montreal

Seriously though, good taste in jackets. I just bought my gf a mackage jacket too.

Montreal azns use goose right now tho, they got more snows.

Don't your legs freeze in that...?

Everyone looks the same to me now

hah! so true

Only the top half of my legs freeze if I wear boots.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
As it's Tuesday, I wanted to harass everyone again about the meet up coming up.

Let us know if you can. Again, it might seem weird meeting a bunch of random Internet people, and I was hesitant at first, but I don't go out often enough to talk to live people and when I met these hooligans, I'm glad I went.

They're all good peeps.

Except for Kraftwerk. He's a lush, so Kavey is gonna hold him down and I'm gonna punch his kidneys.

soultron

Banned
Yeah, just go. Kuro won't actually punch anyone, for those wondering. He's all talk.

Just kidding we beat the crap out of each other when I met him to sell him my PS4. I prefer to imagine the situation went something like this; he robbed me of the PS4 I was randomly carrying around, and as he was trying escape (like a coward) from my manly grasp, I stole a conveniently enveloped $450 from his jacket.

So yeah, just go to the meet up. Or whatever, don't.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, just go. Kuro won't actually punch anyone, for those wondering. He's all talk.

Just kidding we beat the crap out of each other when I met him to sell him my PS4. I prefer to imagine the situation went something like this; he robbed me of the PS4 I was randomly carrying around, and as he was trying escape (like a coward) from my manly grasp, I stole a conveniently enveloped $450 from his jacket.

So yeah, just go to the meet up. Or whatever, don't.

parappapsp4x.jpg

isny

napkin dispenser
As it's Tuesday, I wanted to harass everyone again about the meet up coming up.

Let us know if you can. Again, it might seem weird meeting a bunch of random Internet people, and I was hesitant at first, but I don't go out often enough to talk to live people and when I met these hooligans, I'm glad I went.

They're all good peeps.

Except for Kraftwerk. He's a lush, so Kavey is gonna hold him down and I'm gonna punch his kidneys.

Someone totally needs to drive four hours, each way, to Ottawa and pick me up! =(

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So I went to Touhenbouku Ramen and Les Mis today.

Les Mis was excellent.

The ramen at Touhenbouku was decent, but man their service was slow. And it's pretty overpriced as well. 10.50 for a pretty small bowl of ramen? That's goddamn expensive.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Someone totally needs to drive four hours, each way, to Ottawa and pick me up! =(
Kraftwerk is offering to bike there, pick you up, and bike back.
So I went to Touhenbouku Ramen and Les Mis today.

Les Mis was excellent.

The ramen at Touhenbouku was decent, but man their service was slow. And it's pretty overpriced as well. 10.50 for a pretty small bowl of ramen? That's goddamn expensive.
Thanks for the warning
Fuck snow. That is all.
#teamwarm represent!

explodet

Was considering hitting the meetup for the first time, but then my neck decided to inflate like a beach ball. Nobody wants none of whatever I've got.

I blame the snow.

Liberty4all

Banned

Liberty4all

Banned
Also:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ne...d-ice-storm-likely-in-southern-ontario/18215/

Chris Scott
Chief Meteorologist
Friday, December 20, 2013, 3:30 PM -

STORM WATCH: Tune into The Weather Network on TV for continued updates on this storm.

A major ice storm is likely this weekend across a broad swath of southern Ontario, extreme southern Quebec and the Fundy Shore. While an initial impulse of low pressure is bringing a mix of snow, rain and freezing rain across these areas through Friday, the main concern is a stronger system which will build in Saturday afternoon and last into Sunday.

Despite the very difficult nature of forecasting the timing and amounts of freezing rain, The Weather Network’s forecast team is confident this will be a high impact weather event, likely leading to power outages in some of these areas.

The hardest hit zones are predicted to be in a swath from Goderich to Kitchener, through Guelph, Hamilton and Toronto, and along the 401 through Trenton, Kingston and Brockville. While Ottawa and Montreal are expected to see freezing rain after beginning as snow, the worst of this storm will be closer to the U.S. border. Amounts along the Fundy Shore are not expected to be as high, but will still be significant.

Our forecast team is predicting over 20 mm of freezing rain in the hardest hit areas. The Canadian computer model, which seems to have a good handle on the atmospheric setup, is predicting an incredible 50 mm of freezing rain in places like Hamilton and Toronto.

Not all of this liquid will freeze on contact with objects like trees and power lines. Some of this rain will sheath off, limiting the maximum amount of ice build-up that could occur. However, we believe at least 1-2 cm of ice accretion is likely in the hardest hit swath, with the potential for more than 2 cm in places. This would mean an ice build-up two fingers thick on tree branches, cars – you name it. An ice storm of this magnitude has not been seen in the GTA in decades.

Many people have been asking us about travelling this weekend. For Southern Ontario, there is a reasonable window of relatively good driving conditions Saturday morning before the brunt of the heavy precipitation moves in during the afternoon and evening. For eastern Ontario and southern Quebec, the story is similar, just delayed by a few hours. Across the Maritimes, driving conditions should be fair through much of Saturday.

BEAT THE TRAFFIC : Get The App. Get There Sooner. Beat the Traffic helps ease your commute with recommended routes and real-time adjustments. Beat the Traffic by downloading it today for Apple and now on Android devices as well.

The real problems being Saturday evening as ice begins to accrete on tree limbs. This is where the concern for power outages begins to increase. Power outages are most likely where hydro lines are above ground and susceptible to the impact from broken tree limbs. Rural areas and older city neighbourhoods with large trees are particularly vulnerable.

Predicting the scale of power outages is extremely difficult. Freezing rain is almost a guarantee in these areas, but it’s difficult to say exactly how this will affect the electrical grid. The Weather Network’s forecast centre has been in close contact with Hydro One over the past few days and they are as prepared as possible. We do expect there to be power outages given the amount of freezing rain forecast. In a worst case scenario, the hardest hit rural areas may be without power for days.

This is a serious storm that has the potential to do significant damage.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Cheers to TO GAF and those who showed
Kraftwerk (RIP)
Lostandconfused (wasn't lost; just drunk)
Shagg_187 (apparently beautiful)
Alphatw00 (confused as kuro)
EvilMario (special guest)
Evilmario's wife (Monster Hunting Queen)
MONSTER HUNTER GIRL (monster hunting girl)
mr. rager (surprisingly calm)
krae_man (used the People's Elbow on Firehawk and failed)
Firehawk (still didn't finish his fucking PhD)
Tremis (Not generic but Asian guy)
Kinitari (dreads intact)
Stet (was asked about Jenny McCarthy)
Kuro (waited 20 minutes for a streetcar and had it fucking short turn)
Quadratic (still drunk)
kave_man (winner of TOMania V but still likes terrible beer)
Brinbe (Dedicated TO member)

Dedicated to Sonki (banned in peace)

Quick

Banned
The fucking roads tonight.

Highway was surprisingly fine. Salt trucks were salting as I was driving. The issue I had was the sidewalk (on slopes!) and almost wiping out. Had to cling onto anything bolted to the ground to pull myself forward.

Foot traffic isn't dense or strong enough to keep the ice from forming. Ironically it's better in areas where there is still snow sitting on the sidewalk as it will crumble under your feet instead of presenting a solid sheen of ice that will send your ass sliding wherever gravity wills it.

Oh god please let there be apocalyptic weather this morning. I'm so fucked from for my multivariable calculus exam lol

edit

Many people have been asking us about travelling this weekend. For Southern Ontario, there is a reasonable window of relatively good driving conditions Saturday morning before the brunt of the heavy precipitation moves in during the afternoon and evening. For eastern Ontario and southern Quebec, the story is similar, just delayed by a few hours.

LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Could not drink much because I'm at work today. Depleted staff due to holiday vacations. At least it's quiet and I can browse GAF on the down low.
Why do they call it ovaltine? Why not roundtine?

I didn't want to take too many pictures since I know many don't like it. Still, I didn't expect that bad a picture and i didn't get Luke Perry... :(

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So when does this freezing rain start up?

Also we made it Toronto-GAF, we actually have a bad troll in the meetup thread.

We're Neogaf popular guys!

Quadratic

The rain is drizzling down where I am near Coxwell and Danforth (at work). Looks like it's going to freeze soon once the temps dip a bit more.

Top Bottom