• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Shopping in Koreatown today on Bloor and noticed a new Kinton opened up. Possible meetup location?

Raijin does offer more space for the numbers we get up to though.
Yeah they opened up a new spot there. I'd like to go there, but we'd have to see if there would be enough room for us.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm....

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...an_accused_in_killing_of_chinese_student.html
This guy actually went to the same high school as Firehawk and I...

And

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_University#Strikes
A lot of them when I was in university

Oh and,

http://www.cp24.com/police-investigating-severe-sexual-assault-near-york-u-1.504766
This made the news a lot too.

I'm absolutely sure that this stuff happened at UofT as well, but I don't recall any super big scandal besides the administration playing the stock with the university's money

Well, I was there for one of the strikes. The other two things you posted happened long after I was there but I do remember hearing about them. And about another sexual assault during frosh week. When you put them all together like that, yes it's bad. It wasn't like that when I was there.

Yes and its currently being built and will open in autumn 2016. The tunneling is already complete. Keele street has been a mess there right now because of the construction.

http://www.ttc.ca/Spadina/index.jsp

I'll believe it when I see it. One of my uncles went to York in the mid 70s and they were talking about the subway to York then. Which means they've been talking about that stupid subway for nearly 40 years.

Anyway, that subway line would have been useless to me since I took the bus from Finch Station to campus. Only way it might have helped is if they extended the Sheppard line to Downsview. Then it might have taken an hour to get there instead of about 2 hours.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I was there for one of the strikes. The other two things you posted happened long after I was there but I do remember hearing about them. And about another sexual assault during frosh week. When you put them all together like that, yes it's bad. It wasn't like that when I was there.

Now I really am wondering exactly how old you are...

Anyways, that Grayson guy who killed that poor crazy girl...I recall speaking to him when I was in HS. I don't remember anything out of the ordinary with him at all. Well, the only thing, according to someone who would know, is that he had serious yellow fever and that was a factor in the murder.

Magnus

Guys, after years of living 1h+ away from work or school and becoming accustomed to the idea of spending two hours or more in transit every day, I just learned I'll be living 10 minutes away from work beginning in March. I'm so fucking elated.

Anyway, I'll be moving into a hood near a ton of my friends (Queen/Bathurst) in a nice place, but it dawned on me that I don't know Queen very well west of Spadina, except for a couple night spots. Talk to me - what do I need to know? Am I verging on hipster country? What are the great amenities in the area? Etc.

Man, having spent the majority of my life in Toronto (since age 10) in North York way up at Sheppard (a hood I still love), this is gonna be a huge change. Can't wait.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, after years of living 1h+ away from work or school and becoming accustomed to the idea of spending two hours or more in transit every day, I just learned I'll be living 10 minutes away from work beginning in March. I'm so fucking elated.

Anyway, I'll be moving into a hood near a ton of my friends (Queen/Bathurst) in a nice place, but it dawned on me that I don't know Queen very well west of Spadina, except for a couple night spots. Talk to me - what do I need to know? Am I verging on hipster country? What are the great amenities in the area? Etc.

Man, having spent the majority of my life in Toronto (since age 10) in North York way up at Sheppard (a hood I still love), this is gonna be a huge change. Can't wait.

If we have a meet up at the same place you won't have an excuse not to come. Er...hipsters...

Old. :'(

The York Lions were still called the Yeomen when I was there.
D:
Hipsters.
So many hipsters there...

cvyBMvH.jpg

source

Most "hipsters" (please stop using that word people) live west of Bathurst and are highly concentrated along Queen and Dundas until about Roncesvales. There's nothing inherently cool about Queen/Bathurst but you're close to everything so the location can't really be beat. Murray's and P&L Burger are the 2 best burgers in Toronto and they're seconds away. Ghandi's Roti is right there. You're not far from Kensignton or even the Annex if you're into those hoods. The Loblaws at Portland is also amazing. There's 4-5 record stores around there as well but the only one worth going to is Rotate. I live/work close by so I'm in the area daily.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

Magnus

Goddamn. Lost my wallet in a fucking cab.

Mirza Transportation.

In our drunken stupor we picked a cab from some fly-by-night cab company that has no working phone line or anything. Can't contact the company. I'm fucked.

At least my credit card and metropass were in other pockets.

Still sucks though. Lost a couple $50-60 gift cards in there. :(

Dice//

Banned
York gets too much unwarranted hate

If you can use a fork you can get into York.

UTM BITCHES!
220px-UofT-Mi-logo.svg.png

It's odd seeing a topic on Toronto. I love going there for the day but living there would be weird for me. nevertheless, i gotta check out a few places in the first post....

Quick

Banned

UTM BITCHES!

It's odd seeing a topic on Toronto. I love going there for the day but living there would be weird for me. nevertheless, i gotta check out a few places in the first post....

Welcome. This isn't just a topic, this is Toronto-Age. Fellow Torontonians (and Saugans) bitching about the state of our sports teams (lol argos), politics and especially BURGER JOINTS.

Dice//

Banned
Welcome. This isn't just a topic, this is Toronto-Age. Fellow Torontonians (and Saugans) bitching about the state of our sports teams (lol argos), politics and especially BURGER JOINTS.

Then I'm happy to be aboard and do some complainin'.

Actually, the Argos practice at the UTM campus. You can tell who they are because they're about 3x the mass of any student. I also think if we were in America, the players would be rushed by a mod of crazed football fans.

Oh, actually, I highly recommend Aji-San Ramen on Spadina (I duno if t was mentioned, I don't wanna cycle through pages though).
JLSfXgm.jpg

Quick

Banned
Then I'm happy to be aboard and do some complainin'.

Actually, the Argos practice at the UTM campus. You can tell who they are because they're about 3x the mass of any student. I also think if we were in America, the players would be rushed by a mod of crazed football fans.

Oh, actually, I highly recommend Aji-San Ramen on Spadina (I duno if t was mentioned, I don't wanna cycle through pages though).
JLSfXgm.jpg

I like Ajisen, but I've never been to Kinton or other ramen joints, so my experience is entry level.

Even still, nothing like a nice bowl of ramen on a cold evening. The only thing I wish for Ajisen is to make their servings a bit larger. Just a bit.

Sober

UTM BITCHES!

UTM?

I mean, at least you don't go to York, but why you would choose to live and/or study in Mississauga is confounding, to say the least.

So hi.

Also, if you can walk, you can go to Brock.

Dice//

Banned
UTM?

I mean, at least you don't go to York, but why you would choose to live and/or study in Mississauga is confounding, to say the least.

So hi.

Also, if you can walk, you can go to Brock.

I'm from there, so I get quick and free transit to go to school. After busing all of my teen-life, this was a damn good reason to go to UTM for me.

St George is much better for sure, but UTM is quaint and almost a literal "suburban university" compared to "Big City St George". It's quieter but nice (and I wanna befriend the campus deers!).

Unfortunately, the Summer Class availability sucks serious ass at UTM, so I'll probably be hitting up St. George this Summer....yay!

diaspora

UTM BITCHES!

Any asshat can get into York but having been to both, I'd sooner start with self-harm before going back to UTSG. Essentially the same as York but with a shitty attitude.

Azih

Ah UTM. You get the same degree as St.George but your classmates are friendly and actually help each other out. It was kinda awesome.

scogoth

UTM BITCHES!

Its funny how UTM has Toronto in the name.

My brother said the best thing about university as it pertains to normal office jobs (obviously he isn't referring to things like being a lawyer or surgeon etc..)

"You go to university and get your diploma. Then you get a job and see that anybody could do it. They could grab a kid out of 10th grade and teach them how to do this. Oh well."

He went to U of T and now works as an auto-insurance adjuster. It's actually a good job that pays well but he still views it all as a huge scam that people are forced to go to university to get jobs that really shouldn't require a university education.

Top Bottom