• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Good old Toronto, it doesn't work out for one team so we hate on any other teams that may try it out.

Unlike the Jays the TFC owe this shit to the fans. Anyone off the street could have done a better job with the team since it was created. MLSE had no choice but to do something drastic here or the team would be done.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Good old Toronto, it doesn't work out for one team so we hate on any other teams that may try it out.

Unlike the Jays the TFC owe this shit to the fans. Anyone off the street could have done a better job with the team since it was created. MLSE had no choice but to do something drastic here or the team would be done.

And the TFC have some scary devoted fans.

Magnus

Alright guys. What's the skinny on Family Day? Are you all forced to work? Have the day off? Are all employees who work entitled to holiday pay if they work? Even contract or part-time? The legalese is confusing me.

I know it's a public/stat holiday in Ontario (not federally), and that some national companies can opt to not consider it one even if their operations are in Toronto. Or so I'm told.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm about to go to this Asian fusion/Japanese restaurant that is literally 3 blocks from my place. I've taken the bus across the street from this place for years and never knew what the fuck it was. I was just getting my hair cut today and the hairdresser mentioned she got sushi there.

20 years almost living here and never knew about this shit...

Roto13

So I'm about to go to this Asian fusion/Japanese restaurant that is literally 3 blocks from my place. I've taken the bus across the street from this place for years and never knew what the fuck it was. I was just getting my hair cut today and the hairdresser mentioned she got sushi there.

20 years almost living here and never knew about this shit...

I think everyone's guilty of this. I've lived literally across the street from a middle eastern restaurant for like four years and I only went in there for the first time last week.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I think everyone's guilty of this. I've lived literally across the street from a middle eastern restaurant for like four years and I only went in there for the first time last week.
So I spoke to the hostess and she did say this place used to be a furniture store.

Literally 3 blocks from my goddamn place and this place is swank. I feel a bit underdressed too. About to partake in what I hope is a good omakase right now.

Windam

Scaley member
Looking for jobs sucks. I can't get a job because I don't have experience because I can't get a job because I don't have experience because I can't get a job because I don't have experience because I can't get a job because I don't have experience... Endless cycle. Fack.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Looking for jobs sucks. I can't get a job because I don't have experience because I can't get a job because I don't have experience because I can't get a job because I don't have experience because I can't get a job because I don't have experience... Endless cycle. Fack.
Use an agency. Otherwise, it's all about connections.

Windam

Scaley member
Use an agency. Otherwise, it's all about connections.

Do any agencies offer retail opportunities? I'm currently in first year uni, and I need a part-time job. All the lab positions I've found were for 2nd/3rd/4th year undergrads, so it's not likely I'll be able to work in a lab this summer. :/

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Do any agencies offer retail opportunities? I'm currently in first year uni, and I need a part-time job. All the lab positions I've found were for 2nd/3rd/4th year undergrads, so it's not likely I'll be able to work in a lab this summer. :/
You at UofT? A friend of mine is a manager there at the store.
I assumed you were already out of school, young un. Otherwise, just pass the old resume around and look online and on linkedin. I've had a lot of success for interviews at least from linkedin. There is also charity village and the various job search centres around Toronto.

Windam

Scaley member
You at UofT? A friend of mine is a manager there at the store.
I assumed you were already out of school, young un. Otherwise, just pass the old resume around and look online and on linkedin. I've had a lot of success for interviews at least from linkedin. There is also charity village and the various job search centres around Toronto.

Nope, I'm at York. *shudders*

I've been handing out resumes since 12th grade and no luck haha. I've been using indeed.com, but I'll check out LinkedIn as well.

Quick

Banned
Fall is the best time for retail employment. Stores need more staff for the holidays. Right now, they're all cutting back on hours (including my job) because the holidays are done.

If you're really desperate, fast food places seem to always hire. I'm only basing this on the constant "Now Hiring" signs I see at a ton of places almost year-round.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Fall is the best time for retail employment. Stores need more staff for the holidays. Right now, they're all cutting back on hours (including my job) because the holidays are done.

If you're really desperate, fast food places seem to always hire. I'm only basing this on the constant "Now Hiring" signs I see at a ton of places almost year-round.

lolwtf how many of those avatars do you have?!

Quadratic

So I spoke to the hostess and she did say this place used to be a furniture store.

Literally 3 blocks from my goddamn place and this place is swank. I feel a bit underdressed too. About to partake in what I hope is a good omakase right now.

How was the sushi? It wasn't Sushi Marche was it?

mr.rager

no clue about agencies offering retail positions, maybe managerial positions but no clue about salesperson/cashier. If you're just looking to have any kind of experience, do general labor. The job can be easy depending on where you get placed.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
How was the sushi? It wasn't Sushi Marche was it?

Nah! This place doesn't really have windows or look like a normal restaurant, so you wouldn't know it. There are banners outside that say lounge and restaurant and bar, but...I don't see a lot of people go in there.

The sushi was very lightly and nicely grilled, but it's definitely not Taro's Fish levels of awesomeness.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Alright guys. What's the skinny on Family Day? Are you all forced to work? Have the day off? Are all employees who work entitled to holiday pay if they work? Even contract or part-time? The legalese is confusing me.

I know it's a public/stat holiday in Ontario (not federally), and that some national companies can opt to not consider it one even if their operations are in Toronto. Or so I'm told.

I'm off. But if you're working that day you get paid or get a day off in lieu. If your company is federally regulated, they don't have to give you the day since it's not a national holiday.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
However many it takes.

#WhatItTakes
This gives me an idea....
I'm off. But if you're working that day you get paid or get a day off in lieu. If your company is federally regulated, they don't have to give you the day since it's not a national holiday.

Blame Quick D:

ibt9HICPSJP9YQ.png

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Nope, I'm at York. *shudders*

I've been handing out resumes since 12th grade and no luck haha. I've been using indeed.com, but I'll check out LinkedIn as well.
Oh right. Windam, there are some legit online jobs. I've only read about some of them though.

Try here

[Serious] What is a legitimate way a full time student can earn some extra money from home?

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1v0mdy/serious_what_is_a_legitimate_way_a_full_time/

Shadowkat, please use that avatar if you want! :D

Blackhead

Redarse
Oh right. Windam, there are some legit online jobs. I've only read about some of them though.

Try here

[Serious] What is a legitimate way a full time student can earn some extra money from home?

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1v0mdy/serious_what_is_a_legitimate_way_a_full_time/

Shadowkat, please use that avatar if you want! :D

Oh Reddit, lots of upvotes for 'just wank on livecams'. (I guess the equivalent toronto suggestion is work at massage parlour? Is prostitution now legal in Canada or what?)

@windam if you don't have a job and you don't have any experience then look for volunteer opportunities. That builds up your resume and sometimes translates into other offers. Best of luck

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Oh Reddit, lots of upvotes for 'just wank on livecams'. (I guess the equivalent toronto suggestion is work at massage parlour? Is prostitution now legal in Canada or what?)

@windam if you don't have a job and you don't have any experience then look for volunteer opportunities. That builds up your resume and sometimes translates into other offers. Best of luck

Yes...and there are a lot of other options there that don't involve wankcams and I was referring to those.

Windam

Scaley member

Sent out so many applications during the summer/fall time last year. Nothing x_x

no clue about agencies offering retail positions, maybe managerial positions but no clue about salesperson/cashier. If you're just looking to have any kind of experience, do general labor. The job can be easy depending on where you get placed.

I'd be down for general labour if I could do it on a part time basis while still studying, but the fact that I'm weak as shit plus I'd rather be in a retail environment (which is apparently odd) makes me reluctant to apply. :(

Try here

Thanks. Currently looking at Leapforce.

Sober

That reminds me, I need to look for a new job since my current one is going to close in June.

I also signed on to buy a condo today so I'm going to be progressively poorer as the months go by! Yay?!

I love how the week I have off it is supposed to be nice and above zero. Guaranteed Monday the 24th when I go back to classes it will be 50km winds and -20. Fuck off.

Roto13

Blowtorched sushi is good sushi. Man, now I kinda want some :(

Edit: it's mid February already...WHY DO PEOPLE STILL HAVE THEIR CHRISTMAS LIGHTS UP?!?!

They're Valentine's lights.

I was showing a foreign friend around a bit last night and he was wondering why some of the trees in the Village still have Christmas lights up. Usually gays are on top of these things.

Top Bottom