• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Buying a house right now in this city is bordering on impossible. People shooting 50k to 80k over asking price is fucking insanity. There is no way for the average person to compete with this shit. Its frustrating beyond belief. People buy a house one year for 440k and then turn around and sell it next year for 521k. His asking price was 470k. I dont want to move into a condo but it seems i might have to for the time being. This shit needs to crash hard.
This got me looking.

...and now I'm depressed.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, Divvy! Great call on Jabistro!

When my taste buds come down from heaven more impressions. I'm here right now. All I can say is I am super impressed and should've come here for my anniversary.

sammich

I'm trying to buy a condo myself and it's the same story with people just outbidding you 30-50K.

Although, what I'm looking for is in very in demand areas like Yonge/Sheppard which is near transit.

Yea Yonge/shepp would be a nice area to live especially if i was looking for a condo(and single). Im looking in Scarb. Etobicoke is a bit more expensive, new townhouses around the area are starting at like 660k. Im not going that high, but generally more expensive than scarb. Not going further east(pickering and beyond) or West(Miss and beyond) as i dont want to spend an hour in travel times each way at a minimum especially when our baby is born. I rather spend it at home with the wife and kids.

But somehow unless we are lucky ill get dragged into this race to buy something and end up being part of the cause. Madness.

Man at York I'm frequently getting security bulletins of armed robberies occurring just downstairs, around my apartment building. The Student Center now? Gah, it just keeps getting worse.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Holy shit, Divvy! Great call on Jabistro!

When my taste buds come down from heaven more impressions. I'm here right now. All I can say is I am super impressed and should've come here for my anniversary.

I'm glad you liked it! Did you have the tasting menu? They had a cod dish that may be the best cooked fish I've ever had.

Yea Yonge/shepp would be a nice area to live especially if i was looking for a condo(and single). Im looking in Scarb. Etobicoke is a bit more expensive, new townhouses around the area are starting at like 660k. Im not going that high, but generally more expensive than scarb. Not going further east(pickering and beyond) or West(Miss and beyond) as i dont want to spend an hour in travel times each way at a minimum especially when our baby is born. I rather spend it at home with the wife and kids.

But somehow unless we are lucky ill get dragged into this race to buy something and end up being part of the cause. Madness.

shadowkat said:
It's super fucking depressing. At this point, I don't think I'll ever have a house or even a condo.

Yeah, I don't know how the average person is supposed to be able to afford a house anymore. I'm renting a condo unit at Yonge/Finch right now and in the last three years, the rent price has gone up like 30%. Luckily our landlord doesn't seem to care that much and has barely raised our rent in that time but still. I would like to buy a condo sometime in the next handful of years, but with the prices increasing the way they are, it's going to be a huge commitment.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad you liked it! Did you have the tasting menu? They had a cod dish that may be the best cooked fish I've ever had.
Nah, we had to give one day notice. I just had today off and my wife and I weren't sure where we wanted to go and you recommended it so I said why not?

To add to the house discussion, my house was 200k about 20 years ago now and a realtor came by and said only 350k for it. I laughed my ass off considering the shit houses in riverdale/leslieville with fewer rooms and terrible conditions on the exterior were 450k to start. My neighbour sold his over asking for 850k

Blackhead

Redarse
I want to say I don't care anymore but...I know I will when anything gets revealed.

People Powered Front Pages Rule
The Whip said:
What if front pages were selected by newspapers’ readers instead of their editors? At NewsWhip, we’re always interested in the news stories people are choosing to share – and how those stories differ from the normal news stories editors put on the front pages of big newspapers. So we ran a little experiment.

On Wednesday morning, we gathered the front pages of leading newspapers in several countries. Then we used Spike to check the most shared stories from each one...

The Toronto Star

6u2uk81.jpg

The Toronto Star’s readers might have had enough fun sharing Rob Ford stories. Instead, they’re getting excited about health benefits of red wine and unpaid interns. News about Chrysler and a new post box design also make the “social” cut.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
One of my best friends went to York and the first time I went to visit him at one of those Sentinel apartment buildings I asked the nearest intersection and he told me Jane & Finch and I was like

The first five years of my life we lived in Jane and Finch then we moved on up to Thornhill.

The one thing I never forget living there was sitting on the front porch eating an ice cream watching a policeman chase a dude into the woods.

Good wholesome family fun.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
JaBistro Modern Japanese
ib0210SbNOnos0.gif

222 Richmond Street W
Toronto, ON M5V 1W4

So after paying an arm and leg for Sushi Kaji, fellow TO GAF member Divvy suggested I try JaBistro. It's tough going to sushi places downtown because most are not particularly authentic, overcharge, and ultimately leave you unsatisfied. JaBistro, on the other hand, does not disappoint and is much easier to get to than Sushi Kaji.

Drinks
My wife just got the regular old green tea and I got the bartender special Blueberry Bomb. The tea came in a glass cup rather than a ceramic one, which was odd, and they were using a tea bag instead of brewing the tea in the back and bringing it out. My Blueberry Bomb was a mix of cranberry juice, sochu, blueberry juice, and with whole blueberrys in it. The tea, though it didn't look that great, was surprisingly good for tea from a tea bag and the waitress was really consistent in coming by and offering more hot water as well as cold water when we needed it without having to call her attention for a refill. My drink was quite strong, but I felt it could've used a bit more juice and a lot less ice. I'd have preferred a Sapporo in the future.

Appetizer
We really didn't get any appetizers and decided to jump right into the sushi.

Mains
My wife got the kyukyoku (which is just nigiri sushi) for $55 and I got the sashimi platter for $50. The neat thing about the kyukyoku is that if you sit at the bar, the waitress offers you the choice to have each piece made individually (imagine Jiro Dreams of Sushi but substitute the intimidating old man for a young friendly one) and placed on a plate in front of you. It was really neat to try this out and the chef made it right in front of us whilst preparing other dishes and put the single piece on a plate next to some pickled ginger. You could eat it with your hands or use chopsticks to dip it in the soy sauce, of which they had the regular kind and a special house made kind which was slightly sweeter. They do not recommend and do not provide extra wasabi for you to overpower the flavour of each piece, and I appreciated this. All the pieces were excellent and supremely fresh, which meant a relatively strong flavour. My favourite was most definitely the sea urchin that came at the end. Definitely no complaints about the taste here.

My sashimi platter was fantastic and I kind of wish I had taken a picture of it, but I was a little embarrassed sitting RIGHT in front of the chef. Anyways, the pieces weren't gigantic and the octopus wasn't as good as Sushi Kaji, but it was still good. The presentation was fantastic and I was a bit surprised to see my sashimi came with fried fish. The sashimi all tasted great, but the other stuff might weird some people out; on the right of my plate there was seasoned and fried fish scales and on the left of the plate was the aforementioned fried fish. The odd thing about the fried fish is that they cooked it in a way that you also had to eat the fish bones in the fish as well; this was something I've never tried before, and while the rest of the sashimi was good, and the fried fish itself was good, I couldn't get used to the scales and the fish bones. Even though the pieces themselves were quite small, I was satisfied with the amount and flavour of the whole dish.

Must Try
The aburi was a set of blow-torched nigiri sushi that was absolutely heaven. This ranked as high as the smoked salmon at Hiro Sushi and the tuna belly at Taro's Fish in terms of flavour. The waitress recommended not having any soy sauce with the dish and promptly took it away, but I didn't mind at all because I understand it was going to flavour it in a way the chef didn't want. The waitress came by to explain the dish, but she did it a bit quick, so I can't go into each piece, but of the picture below, the absolute best two pieces was the 3rd from the left and the one at the far right. It's the normal nigiri you're used to, except the blow-torching enhances the flavour greatly and the little extras added on top further adds to the taste. The picture below still has my mouth watering...

Overall
The service was excellent and I wish all restaurants in Toronto could follow this simple guideline. The waitress came by and poured hot water for the tea and also cold water without us asking. She also explained each dish as it was presented to us as well, which was a nice touch, and she also asked how everything was without being too disruptive. The total came to $200 with taxes, tip, and a cheesecake dessert (which was also quite good, I might add), and I thought it was definitely better value than Sushi Kaji. If you aren't willing the break the bank, at least come and get the aburi as it was undoubtedly the highlight of the restaurant for me.

Overall, I'd highly recommend this place and is definitely a wonderful place to take a date; just keep in mind the fish bones if that's not your thing. It is a bit more expensive than your average sushi restaurant, but I felt it hit that sweet spot of price and value. I wouldn't recommend it for a huge gathering if you're just going for sushi (I'd suggest Sushi Moto instead), but it's a little surprise downtown that all sushi lovers should experience.

The first five years of my life we lived in Jane and Finch then we moved on up to Thornhill.

The one thing I never forget living there was sitting on the front porch eating an ice cream watching a policeman chase a dude into the woods.

Good wholesome family fun.
I lived there as well until I was around 5. Then moved to Jane & Wilson for a bit before we moved to the burbs of Brampton. In the early 90's that area was very different than it is today, at least from what I remember. I actually have very fond memories as a kid living in that area. A lot of great parks and good people. I'd still rather live at Jane & Finch today with the bad rep it has than in friggen Brampton I tell you that.

explodet

It's super fucking depressing. At this point, I don't think I'll ever have a house or even a condo.
I might be able to swing something, but most lower-priced condos are tiny tiny little closets that are better for cheap rentals.

I recently watched "The Condo Game" and it was just super duper fucking depressing.

Does anyone know if I can bring my PS3 on a plane in a carry on? I'm going to south america for two months and want to bring it but I'm worried customs may give me problems and tax me or something even though it is used, not a gift, and I am bringing it back home with me. My girls cousins really want to play around with it while we are down there but otherwise I wouldn't bring it. My carry on will have my laptop and vita as well. Bringing that many electronics maybe they're going to think something is up? Heard something about having to declare more than $400 or more in GIFTS but don't know how this applies to me.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if I can bring my PS3 on a plane in a carry on? I'm going to south america for two months and want to bring it but I'm worried customs may give me problems and tax me or something even though it is used, not a gift, and I am bringing it back home with me. My girls cousins really want to play around with it while we are down there but otherwise I wouldn't bring it. My carry on will have my laptop and vita as well. Bringing that many electronics maybe they're going to think something is up? Heard something about having to declare more than $400 or more in GIFTS but don't know how this applies to me.

There is no reason for them to tax you...

mr.rager

You shouldn't get taxed for it but if you're that worried you can fill out a form at the airport to register electronics you're bringing with you so they know that you own it.

Mr. F

Banned
Yeah, I don't know how the average person is supposed to be able to afford a house anymore. I'm renting a condo unit at Yonge/Finch right now and in the last three years, the rent price has gone up like 30%. Luckily our landlord doesn't seem to care that much and has barely raised our rent in that time but still. I would like to buy a condo sometime in the next handful of years, but with the prices increasing the way they are, it's going to be a huge commitment.

This is one of my biggest worries thinking about the future. Patiently awaiting that mythical bubble to burst but doesn't seem like there's an end in sight. I'm not sure the kind of place I'll be able to afford to rent fresh out of university, let alone purchase further down the line. I think I'll likely end up back with my parents out of necessity and saving or giving up on Toronto as a place to live all together.

One of my good friends passed away in an apartment fire in Toronto today. She was turning 22 next week and was planning to come celebrate her birthday back in Calgary. Blehhhh.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
If you were planning on going to the aquarium and wanted to save some money you can go to Chapters to get a coupon with the purchase of this book.

mjyHJiB.png

zroid

Banned
Doesn't really save much money, but ehhh I was planning on checking out the Aquarium with the family this spring. If I happen to pass by a Chapters, I'll pick up a copy.

Fuzzy

Doesn't really save much money, but ehhh I was planning on checking out the Aquarium with the family this spring. If I happen to pass by a Chapters, I'll pick up a copy.
You save $13 per couple with this deal. I said some, not much.

zroid

Banned
You save $13 per couple with this deal. I said some, not much.

Isn't the ticket price $23, so savings of about 7 bucks, no? If you're talking about the online price of the book, they won't honour that in stores.

edit: OH IT'S $30? yikes. I dunno where I got 23 from, lol. That's not too bad at all then.

Azih

Yeah the aquarium is cn tower level prices. Really well done though. Protip:Go on a weekday or very early weekend.

Magnus

Anyone had to deal with neighbours complaining about your music/tv volume before?

I'm a week into my new place - condo townhouses, I'm renting one, and it's like 6 homes jenga'd together into one building. The whole complex is like this.

Got a note on the door handle asking me to turn it down. I'm sure it's the sub - I guess I had it high. Kind of annoyed, and afraid to even have anything playing at the moment, even at lower volumes. Sucks. I love cranking it.

I'd like to try and figure out what the max volume is that I can get away with.

Also, what kind of laws and regulations are relevant here?

Kraftwerk

Anyone had to deal with neighbours complaining about your music/tv volume before?

I'm a week into my new place - condo townhouses, I'm renting one, and it's like 6 homes jenga'd together into one building. The whole complex is like this.

Got a note on the door handle asking me to turn it down. I'm sure it's the sub - I guess I had it high. Kind of annoyed, and afraid to even have anything playing at the moment, even at lower volumes. Sucks. I love cranking it.

Here is one I know of;

Under Toronto Municipal Code 591, playing of loud music is prohibited between the hours of 11:00 pm to 7:00 am, the next day, 9:00 am on Sunday and Statutory Holiday.

I play loud jazz all the time at my place, and no complaints ever.

zroid

Banned
Went to Chapters and picked up the Aquarium book. The store was severely understaffed so that was kind of a pain in the butt. Oh well.

Just some info that I was not aware of before: to redeem the coupon, you need to present your book receipt and your Plum membership card at the Aquarium. Also the coupon expires on June 30, if anyone was wondering.

Fuzzy

If I were you I'd leave a note on your door while being loud asking the complainer to talk to you in-person to figure out how loud you can go without them complaining.

Here is one I know of;

I play loud jazz all the time at my place, and no complaints ever.
Pretty sure that only applies to if you own the place. Rental noise by-laws are more strict.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What's the best travel option from Toronto to Ottawa on short notice? I guess Grey Hound or some similar bus agency would be it?

Greyhound is cheapest. Sometimes you can get a really nice discount on the Via trains if you look at the right time.

Top Bottom