• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

krae_man

What's the best travel option from Toronto to Ottawa on short notice? I guess Grey Hound or some similar bus agency would be it?

I've taken that bus(Greyhound). It's about $40 each way. You should get a bus with wifi and power outlets. It's about 5 hours and it has one 15 minute rest stop about 1/2 way through. Well if you get the Express one anyway. There are non express buses that stop in every hick town along the way.

You can also do Via, but you're not going to get a $40 fare on short notice, you need to book well in advance to get that rate.

Buying a house right now in this city is bordering on impossible. People shooting 50k to 80k over asking price is fucking insanity. There is no way for the average person to compete with this shit. Its frustrating beyond belief. People buy a house one year for 440k and then turn around and sell it next year for 521k. His asking price was 470k. I dont want to move into a condo but it seems i might have to for the time being. This shit needs to crash hard.
Took me two years to find a house in the city, probably got outbid a half dozen times. Unless the influx of immigrants from china slows down significantly they're going to keep parking money in real estate.

I'm trying to buy a condo myself and it's the same story with people just outbidding you 30-50K.

Although, what I'm looking for is in very in demand areas like Yonge/Sheppard which is near transit.
Try some of the newly built ones at Leslie and Sheppard or Sheppard and don mills, a tad further but not too bad.

Oppo

whitehawk

Banned
what the fuck. that's down the street from me.

was just saying the other day that that Tim's seems to have taken a fucking dive.. it's fairely new but the skid element is very high due to 2 dive bars right across the street

edit - this went up just before 6
http://www.680news.com/2014/03/09/suspicious-death-under-investigation-at-danforth-and-greenwood/
Yeah I'm nearby too. I walked by the place so that's how I knew. Got home and checked CP24 and they briefly mentioned it. No other information other than it's a homicide investigation. edit: I walked by around 3ish. Entire place was cut off. Saw coffee cups inside on tables abandoned.

edit2: Women in that video said that a man walked from that house towards the tim hortons covered in blood, and collapsed there. That would make more sense.

roddur

does anyone know what is time limit for drilling in GTA(etobicoke) residential area? my neighbor is drilling right now 7:50 in the evening.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
does anyone know what is time limit for drilling in GTA(etobicoke) residential area? my neighbor is drilling right now 7:50 in the evening.
You're in a predominately residential area? 7am-7pm is the cut-off for construction noise. Just consider if it's worth it to complain. Starting shit with neighbours can be shitty in the long run.

roddur

You're in a predominately residential area? 7am-7pm is the cut-off for construction noise. Just consider if it's worth it to complain. Starting shit with neighbours can be shitty in the long run.

i don't want to complain, i just needed to know the cut off time so i can go talk to him to stop and i'll be within the city law.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Snakes and Lagers was pretty fun and the food there is pretty good, but kind of expensive. Their board game selection is like a fraction of the collection at Lattes

roddur

Is it a common thing with said neighbor?

this happened once before. and it was around 930 at night, and i was able to ask them to stop.

tonight knocked there door many many times, didn't get anybody. then called the non-emergency line and i don't think the cops showed up :). around 9 got hold of the home owner and asked him to stop.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Was thinking of making a thread in OT but thought I'd try here first.

Any of you have diabetes or know someone who is going through it; how they diagnosed it and what they did? How they're treating it?

My grandmother when she was alive and uncle and who knows who else has it in my family and I was reading about the symptoms in a game of thrones character and it seemed awfully familiar...

So I did some checking and the symptoms seem to match how I've been feeling these past few months/years.

Oppo

You folks need to get the heck out of the ghetto, it's getting dangerous.

There's this one weirdly skeevy stretch along the danforth by greenwood, but the rest of the area is actually extremely low on crime.

I wish Tommy's and Eastenders would close up, they are like monster closets for drunken asshats.

Quadratic

Just feeling out if anyone in this thread is up for a MH3U meetup since it's MonHun month? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=778862

It's just not limited to Monster Hunter if people want to come an show off their fancy Vitas and Toukiden.

I got past Hunter rank 8 and I'll be happy to help carry anyone up to G. We had a pretty good run at the last TO meetup.

I'm sure I can lure Evil Mario, his wife and monster hunter girl out so we can have several groups going at one time.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Was thinking of making a thread in OT but thought I'd try here first.

Any of you have diabetes or know someone who is going through it; how they diagnosed it and what they did? How they're treating it?

My grandmother when she was alive and uncle and who knows who else has it in my family and I was reading about the symptoms in a game of thrones character and it seemed awfully familiar...

So I did some checking and the symptoms seem to match how I've been feeling these past few months/years.

My dad was diabetic and two of my uncles are.

With my dad, he was diagnosed late in life. It came up on some blood tests I believe. He had to change his diet and he met with a dietician learn how to eat on a diabetic diet. He had to start exercising and learn not to cross his ankles. He took pills to control his blood sugar.

My one uncle has been diabetic since childhood. I believe he takes insulin shots and controls his diet. My other uncle is borderline - it's controlled completely by diet. He takes no medication for it it.

Dr.Acula

Banned
http://gfycat.com/SillyPositiveDogwoodclubgall

So Honest Ed's is having a "sign sale."

Someone reported that the line is five hours! But the signs are eight bucks (or eight bucks for six, not sure), so not bad.

I saw on the CBC they talked to someone who was an art student who flew in from Madrid.

I'd totally get one, but... Five hours? Have the people in this line seen Titanfall?

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

Someone reported that the line is five hours! But the signs are eight bucks (or eight bucks for six, not sure), so not bad.

I saw on the CBC they talked to someone who was an art student who flew in from Madrid.

I'd totally get one, but... Five hours? Have the people in this line seen Titanfall?

5 hours in line is nothing compared to flying in from Madrid.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
My dad was diabetic and two of my uncles are.

With my dad, he was diagnosed late in life. It came up on some blood tests I believe. He had to change his diet and he met with a dietician learn how to eat on a diabetic diet. He had to start exercising and learn not to cross his ankles. He took pills to control his blood sugar.

My one uncle has been diabetic since childhood. I believe he takes insulin shots and controls his diet. My other uncle is borderline - it's controlled completely by diet. He takes no medication for it it.
Cross his ankles...?

Yeah EM msged me in Steam with everything you mentioned. Sigh, maybe no more alcohol and raging :(

Diet has recently gone to shit and I am super lazy with exercise but it's a catch 22. I'm too tired to exercise when I get home from work but it may be that lack of exercise causing the fatigue.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Cross his ankles...?

Yeah EM msged me in Steam with everything you mentioned. Sigh, maybe no more alcohol and raging :(

Diet has recently gone to shit and I am super lazy with exercise but it's a catch 22. I'm too tired to exercise when I get home from work but it may be that lack of exercise causing the fatigue.

He used to cross his ankles when he sat down. Diabetes can cause you to have poor circulation so crossing your ankles is a no no.

I don't think you have to avoid alcohol per say but you would have to be careful with your intake and what you drank. Just like with the rest of your diet.

Windam

Scaley member
Why can't there be barbershops like Crows Nest in Scarborough? Why can't Crows Nest be in Scarborough? :( Going all the way to Kensington Avenue for a haircut from Scarborough, don't think I can do that all the time, as good as my cut came out. >.<

Sober

Why can't there be barbershops like Crows Nest in Scarborough? Why can't Crows Nest be in Scarborough? :( Going all the way to Kensington Avenue for a haircut from Scarborough, don't think I can do that all the time, as good as my cut came out. >.<
Just another reminder to get out of Scarborough.

Cross his ankles...?

I got checked out recently as I am usually tired and poor circulation in my feet and hands always being super cold. Checked my thyroid and glucose and everything came back fine. So basically in limbo with what it could be but I know a lot of it has to do with my diet, (I eat like shit but I'm skinny with little muscle) sleep habits, and lack of exercise. I'd probably be fat if I didn't walk 20km a day all around downtown.

It could be low testosterone as well as they share some similar symptoms I believe? I'd get thyroid, testosterone, and glucose checked out. I'm a horny bastard though so if I have low testosterone it hasn't hit me there yet. I hope that's not what I have but I haven't gotten around to getting it checked. Kind of scared to be honest.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I got checked out recently as I am usually tired and poor circulation in my feet and hands always being super cold. Checked my thyroid and glucose and everything came back fine. So basically in limbo with what it could be but I know a lot of it has to do with my diet, (I eat like shit but I'm skinny with little muscle) sleep habits, and lack of exercise. I'd probably be fat if I didn't walk 20km a day all around downtown.

It could be low testosterone as well as they share some similar symptoms I believe? I'd get thyroid, testosterone, and glucose checked out. I'm a horny bastard though so if I have low testosterone it hasn't hit me there yet. I hope that's not what I have but I haven't gotten around to getting it checked. Kind of scared to be honest.
Hmmm...ok I'll see if I can't get that checked.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
High of 8 degrees today then up to 8cm of snow tomorrow? We all need to stop fighting so the weather can make up its mind.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
High of 8 degrees today then up to 8cm of snow tomorrow? We all need to stop fighting so the weather can make up its mind.
Never.
We will fight to the bitter warm end.

Went to Emkiro on university and king today for the old check up. It was pleasantly surprising to get checked in and looked after by friendly staff that don't seemed stressed to death. I Made an appointment for 9:50, arrived at 9:30 to fill out some forms and got seen at 10. Definitely a big change from my damn doctor who I constantly have to wait an hour or more to see even with an appointment and he seems overworked and irritable.

Kraftwerk

I have been thinking about learning French and moving out of Toronto for next year. Montreal seems like a cheap place to live in, and I have connections for a guaranteed job.

Quick

Banned
Never.
We will fight to the bitter warm end.

Went to Emkiro on university and king today for the old check up. It was pleasantly surprising to get checked in and looked after by friendly staff that don't seemed stressed to death. I Made an appointment for 9:50, arrived at 9:30 to fill out some forms and got seen at 10. Definitely a big change from my damn doctor who I constantly have to wait an hour or more to see even with an appointment and he seems overworked and irritable.

Sounds like my doctor, who I don't like visiting, even though I know I should.

I have been thinking about learning French and moving out of Toronto for next year. Montreal seems like a cheap place to live in, and I have connections for a guaranteed job.

Sounds like a plan, Kraft. My personal hurdle is learning French, probably. I can't imagine keeping up with their level, especially in casual conversation.

I wouldn't be opposed to moving to Montreal, especially with a guaranteed job. Do it.

Quadratic

Montreal is very attractive for the low rents. I have a friend moving into a sub let for the summer. Since you're team cold, the polar winds from the St. Lawrence won't bother you.

And you're probably going to do well with the ladies there. Who can resist that beard!

krae_man

I saw city workers shoveling an area of sidewalk that hasn't been shoveled all winter this morning. They waited until a few hours before it would have melted anyway to do it and bill the owner:lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds good if you can pick up French easily. Gorgeous girls, awesome food, fantastic wine, and even colder than Toronto.

Quick

Banned
Quick. What is your take on Strombo taking over Hockey night?

Strombo's a good choice. Didn't think he'd be doing HNIC full-time considering he seems to always have something going on (his own show, radio show and CNN briefly).

Definitely gives HNIC a bit of a refresh. And Ron MacLean can't keep hosting forever, even though he's still capable of doing it.

yyzjohn

Banned
Strombo's a good choice. Didn't think he'd be doing HNIC full-time considering he seems to always have something going on (his own show, radio show and CNN briefly).

Definitely gives HNIC a bit of a refresh. And Ron MacLean can't keep hosting forever, even though he's still capable of doing it.

Talented guy no doubt about it and he works like a sonofabitch apparently. Will be interesting to see how HNIC is with Strombo at the helm.

10 degrees. I can live with this. Spring jacket get!

I'm indifferent on George. Never trust a guy who's 40 and dresses like he's a teenager. 30 is the max cutoff for skinny jeans.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
10 degrees. I can live with this. Spring jacket get!

I'm indifferent on George. Never trust a guy who's 40 and dresses like he's a teenager. 30 is the max cutoff for skinny jeans.
Lol well that is one way of looking at it.

I'll go the opposite and say this
1. He's reportedly a Habs fan, so screw him
2. I've never heard him say anything about hockey, so I'm not sure if he has the knowledge but I could be wrong
3. Not sure having George on is going to draw in a new demographic. They should get more minorities on if they want to spread the game.
4. He...wears skinny jeans?

There could be any number of people that could have taken over, hell, Friedman would've been ok if he didn't come off a but stuffy.

Oppo

I'm lookin' at the weather tomorrow and I'm like,

there's no way it's gonna drop 27º in one day... c'mon now

Rinoa

Dang, I guess that's why I saw someone on college/bathurst holding what looked like an Honest Ed's sign. I was wondering if the dude made the sign himself or just took it lol.

As for Strombo, everything Kuro said. Minus the habs thing. It's possible to like habs&leafs dammit.

Strombo started his career at the Fan 590......he knows enough about hockey to be a host

He is also incredibly down to earth and always says interesting things

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Dang, I guess that's why I saw someone on college/bathurst holding what looked like an Honest Ed's sign. I was wondering if the dude made the sign himself or just took it lol.

As for Strombo, everything Kuro said. Minus the habs thing. It's possible to like habs&leafs dammit.
I wha...
tumblr_mlsd1oS6LF1ryzizgo1_500.gif
Strombo started his career at the Fan 590......he knows enough about hockey to be a host

He is also incredibly down to earth and always says interesting things
I only really listened to the game and post games, so I never heard him on any shows. If he has the knowledge then I guess that's that. I still have never seen him on any hockey show discussing it nor have I read anything from him opinion or otherwise with regards t hockey. Not saying he isn't good and that he won't be good, but I'm wait and see.

Maybe I'm too used to old man Mac and angry uncle Cherry

edit: with regards to the Ed sign sale...I don't know what's going on in this city anymore. Malls, despite some with high traffic, seem to be dying slowly. I do miss the old days when there was actually something to do and buy at the bloody mall...Gerrard Square, the mall closest to me is also slowly dying. A ton of franchises that used to be there are now gone; sunset records, mmmmmmuffins, mr. sub, hallmark cards, sears, Benix, la senza, etc etc. I've never seen a spot in a food court where the owners were not able to pay rent until I saw it at Gerrard Square. I sometimes think it wouldn't be better for the whole damn place to go under and become one giant Walmart at this point. Though I guess it's nice to have a Home Depot there.

Top Bottom