• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Quadratic

edit: with regards to the Ed sign sale...I don't know what's going on in this city anymore. Malls, despite some with high traffic, seem to be dying slowly. I do miss the old days when there was actually something to do and buy at the bloody mall...Gerrard Square, the mall closest to me is also slowly dying. A ton of franchises that used to be there are now gone; sunset records, mmmmmmuffins, mr. sub, hallmark cards, sears, Benix, la senza, etc etc. I've never seen a spot in a food court where the owners were not able to pay rent until I saw it at Gerrard Square. I sometimes think it wouldn't be better for the whole damn place to go under and become one giant Walmart at this point. Though I guess it's nice to have a Home Depot there.

Speaking of Gerrard Square. Tropical Joes. Some of the best food court carribean food I've ever had. And I think the owners are part Chinese? I know you can get Chow Mein with your jerk chicken.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of Gerrard Square. Tropical Joes. Some of the best food court carribean food I've ever had. And I think the owners are part Chinese? I know you can get Chow Mein with your jerk chicken.
They got good stuff there. Even though the Real Jerk reopened and is slightly closer to me, I still prefer joes. That curry goat hnnnnnghh!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
It's possible to like habs&leafs dammit.

4kf2nhk.gif

Also more mayoral race news!

BREAKING: Olivia Chow intends to submit her resignation tomorrow to the Speaker of the House of Commons to enter Toronto's mayoral race.

Get yo popcorn ready.

soultron

Banned
I wore shorts today. Only because I played soccer after work and was too lazy to change back into pants before hopping on the subway.

HATE ME, ROTO.

Azih

Tory and Chow are going to split the sane vote. Ford's chances went up dramatically. Also Chow was one of the few champions for Toronto federally. Bad news bears :(

yyzjohn

Banned
I think the Chow team would be sort of happy that Tory is there to split the Ford vote.

I'm worried that there might be others to split the vote with Chow. If they have a few right wing candidates to split with Ford that'll be good. I don't follow politics at all so I don't really know.

Azih

Well Stintz is in there but her campaign is making no noise. But the thing is that Tory is as Red as a Tory can get, which means he's a centrist. He'll be taking votes from Chow as well as Ford. And the Ford core is.... strong. At this point it'll take the OPP hauling him away in chains for it to diminish appreciably.

The crazy thing is that Ford is the mayor, BUT HE'S NOT RUNNING AS AN INCUMBENT. He's stumbled into a situation where he can run the same kind of outsider good guy non politician fighting the establishment what's putting down the little guy campaign as he did last time with the added benefit of bleating about killing car taxes and saving a billion dollars as proof of effectiveness AS Mayor while NOT BEING in charge. He's the current leader but he's not a part of the 'establishment'. It's insane but it's one hell of a solid strategy god damn.

Plus the Ford core is so large and adamant that I really think it's good for the city not to swing wildly between right and left for a cycle. Miller --> Ford --> Chow will just lead to more festering resentment. Ford --> Tory will allow things to at least settle down for a change. Tory is dull/competent. Chow is not. We need dull for a change desperately.

Plus I just really liked Chow pushing for municipalities federally. A lot of the problems at the city level is due to stupidity at the federal and provincial level. Toronto lost a voice in Ottawa.

thabiz

tory burned his chance in TO many years ago. People are still pissed at him for all of that nonsense. I would be floored if he gets close to winning.

He will take some Ford votes, and some chow votes. I actually find him in the race to be rather detrimental to the whole thing. I want Chow vs Ford. Thats the closest chance we have to getting rid of this fuckin sack of shit. With Tory in, its a clear win for Ford.

Ford is winning. end of story. this city will fuckin burn and I will laugh heartily. The only chance he doesnt win, is if he starts doing bad things to the burbs. even then i still think he wins.

Azih

How did Tory burn his chances in Toronto?

I mean Ford vs Tory, Tory wins straight up. That's hardly burning anything.

Ford vs Chow, Chow wins straight up also. (but Toronto still loses a strong voice in Ottawa)

But Ford Vs Tory Vs Chow? What the hell will happen I don't know.

Tory declared first so I really think Chow should have stayed out.

Polls show a tight split and

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ford-chow...or-toronto-mayor-poll-1.1704634#ixzz2vkx0jtut
Monday's poll also suggested that Chow and Tory have more room to move before the Oct. 27 election than the current mayor. Of the Toronto residents that were polled, 50 per cent said they would not vote for Ford, compared with 21 per cent who said they would not vote for Chow. Only six per cent of respondents said they would not vote for Tory.

Ford Nation would accept Tory grudgingly. They'll find it hard to swallow Chow.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Yo Spring stop trollin'.

Pls hurry up

Also, Olivia Chow -- Please save us... please...

I'm worried that there might be others to split the vote with Chow. If they have a few right wing candidates to split with Ford that'll be good. I don't follow politics at all so I don't really know.

Other than Ford, there's Tory and also Stintz who are on the same side of the political spectrum. Just have to pick which level of crazy you can handle if you want a conservative mayor.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
How did Tory burn his chances in Toronto?
I don't know what he means other than him stepping into the private school funding bullshit. I really wish the Supreme Court didn't uphold the continued funding of Catholic Schools in Ontario.

Azih

I don't know what he means other than him stepping into the private school funding bullshit. I really wish the Supreme Court didn't uphold the continued funding of Catholic Schools in Ontario.

Lord, the first leader to get the balls to just say they're dropping catholic school funding will get my vote so hard*

*well they'll be much more strongly considered at least.

Hieberrr

#TEAMWINTER go away. Please.

I was just outside and had to go to the bank. I came back into the office looking like a snowman. On the bright side, it's not that cold. It's just a lot of snow and wind.

U of T Scarborough and Mississauga everything closed and classes cancelled. St George open for business as usual. It would take a nuclear bomb landing on the deans office to close St George. Actually they'd probably put up a massive number of tents outside to hold classes still. Nothing stops this train!

I hope all of Team Winter gets massive itchy painful sun burns this summer. Ohhhh boy gonna be great.

Snow > getting shot apparently
lol

zroid

Banned
U of T Scarborough and Mississauga everything closed and classes cancelled. St George open for business as usual. It would take a nuclear bomb landing on the deans office to close St George. Actually they'd probably put up a massive number of tents outside to hold classes still. Nothing stops this train!

Nah they'll just cancel classes at 3 pm like they always do, after everyone's already made the commute. Thanks, guys.

We got a snow blower after the last storm. It still takes a long ass time to do a driveway. Our machine is a bit smaller than my neighbors so that may be why. Don't cheap out on a snow blower. If your going to get one then go all in and get a beast because if you get a dinky one it can take almost as long to snowblow as it would shoveling, albeit minus the back pain.

How often do you have to fill up gas on these things?

Azih

We got a snow blower after the last storm. It still takes a long ass time to do a driveway. Our machine is a bit smaller than my neighbors so that may be why. Don't cheap out on a snow blower. If your going to get one then go all in and get a beast because if you get a dinky one it can take almost as long to snowblow as it would shoveling, albeit minus the back pain.

What did you get? I think I might have to get one as well... maybe partner with my neighbour...

yyzjohn

Banned

I have a two stage blower with a briggs and stratton engine I got at costco a few years back, don't need to fill up the gas very often. Before this winter I filled up once a winter. Then again I hadn't used it that often until this winter, but still haven't refilled it since the start of this winter.

What did you get? I think I might have to get one as well... maybe partner with my neighbour...
I think it is this one pictured below. Toro is the brand name. They have a few models that look the same to me like this. It was on sale is all I know. Just under $400 maybe? Not entirely sure. I think that is cheap and not sure the quality of it to be honest but worked well today my first time using it. My mother bought it. Works well though but it is smaller compared to a few of my neighbors blowers.

quick38583.gif

I have a two stage blower with a briggs and stratton engine I got at costco a few years back, don't need to fill up the gas very often. Before this winter I filled up once a winter. Then again I hadn't used it that often until this winter, but still haven't refilled it since the start of this winter.
I'm guessing the one we have is one stage. By all means it works well at least for today's 10cm. I could definitely see it maybe struggle if we are getting into 15-20cm territory. The gas thing is good to know. Looks like it'll last a while.

Top Bottom