• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Toronto's a pretty decent hub for Comp Sci/IT stuff. There are a bunch of software houses serving different industries especially the finance industry as Toronto is the financial center of Canada.

It's still not as easy to find a job as it should be (recession has made employers douchebags just becase they can be) but there are jobs. Where in the city does he live?

He is in the process of procuring a house, where I'm not sure yet.
Supposedly this was a house he lived in previously when he was working in the area.
The reason I'm thinking about Toronto is because throughout my childhood I spent a significant amount of time at my grandparents cottage in the Lemington, Ontario area. So, Canada has a special place in my mind.

It really depends on how picky you are, I guess. But in general, I think it's actually pretty decent. Just don't get suckered into any mobile startups. A lot of them just blows.

There's also a weird trend where I'm seeing more contract based stuff than FTE, so I'm not sure if you have a preference.

Good to know. I'm currently looking to move up to Toronto from Washington DC as my longtime girlfriend just completed medical school down here and has matched to Toronto for her residency. I know the pay probably won't be as ridiculous as it is down here, but I'd imagine salaries are doable in terms of living/renting in the downtown area?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It really depends on how picky you are, I guess. But in general, I think it's actually pretty decent. Just don't get suckered into any mobile startups. A lot of them just blows.

There's also a weird trend where I'm seeing more contract based stuff than FTE, so I'm not sure if you have a preference.

Yeah as Alpha said, there are tech jobs here, but a lot of contract work. I think it's very short sighted of the companies here in Toronto to rely on this, but they're really looking to save costs and contracting is the best way to do it.

There are a lot of start ups...be very very careful.

If you time it right, you can also head on over to a job fair when they have one next time when you come up here, there was a WHOLE smorgasbord of IT companies there at one point. Other than that, you can hit up the banks and maybe use a recruiting company or five. With the skill set you listed in this thread, you should be good to find a decent job.

edit: I do want to add that the job situation here is really shite. Lots of companies taking advantage of people since there is a huge surplus of unemployment. So, there's lots of companies just putting feelers out there without really hiring people and others just getting a feel for what the general populace will accept for payment for certain jobs. I know for fucking sure mine did and kept using 'competitive' and 'average pay' as a reason to fuck us without even paying for dinner. I sincerely hope you find something good and maybe you can help the rest of us out :'(

yyzjohn

Banned
Anyone here old enough to remember when Humble & Fred was on the Edge? It was before the Blundell show, used to love those guys. Anyway they have a podcast now (apparently been doing it since 2011) and are also on Sirius satellite radio. Been listening, they're great, haven't lost a step in all these years.

http://www.humbleandfredradio.com/

Yeah as Alpha said, there are tech jobs here, but a lot of contract work. I think it's very short sighted of the companies here in Toronto to rely on this, but they're really looking to save costs and contracting is the best way to do it.

There are a lot of start ups...be very very careful.

If you time it right, you can also head on over to a job fair when they have one next time when you come up here, there was a WHOLE smorgasbord of IT companies there at one point. Other than that, you can hit up the banks and maybe use a recruiting company or five. With the skill set you listed in this thread, you should be good to find a decent job.

edit: I do want to add that the job situation here is really shite. Lots of companies taking advantage of people since there is a huge surplus of unemployment. So, there's lots of companies just putting feelers out there without really hiring people and others just getting a feel for what the general populace will accept for payment for certain jobs. I know for fucking sure mine did and kept using 'competitive' and 'average pay' as a reason to fuck us without even paying for dinner. I sincerely hope you find something good and maybe you can help the rest of us out :'(
I have to agree with it being pretty shit on the other hand. Between the time I decided giving up on games and look for just an IT job, there was a whole wackload of recruiting companies, all seemingly wanting just to put me somewhere so that they can rake in the profits (and god some of those terms blew chunks)

Also, wanna PM me? I know a guy who's definitely trying to hire, and I know at my place we're hiring too (at least I can ask around).

Anyone here old enough to remember when Humble & Fred was on the Edge? It was before the Blundell show, used to love those guys. Anyway they have a podcast now (apparently been doing it since 2011) and are also on Sirius satellite radio. Been listening, they're great, haven't lost a step in all these years.

Yup. Superior than that crap that Blundell was.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

Blundell was such a massive downgrade from Humble and Fred. I stopped listening to the morning show and would only listen to the Edge after the morning show was over. I should give this a listen.

Spl1nter

Todd who was on the dean blundell show has his own show right after them. I always liked him a lot more than Dean.

yyzjohn

Banned
Todd who was on the dean blundell show has his own show right after them. I always liked him a lot more than Dean.

Yeah I've listened to both. Todd I can take or leave, sometimes he has funny bits, but I can listen to Humble and Fred for hours. They just shoot the shit for like 2 hours, sometimes have guests, I just find them funny.

yyzjohn

Banned
Blundell was such a massive downgrade from Humble and Fred. I stopped listening to the morning show and would only listen to the Edge after the morning show was over. I should give this a listen.

Speaking of Blundell, if you go back through the old podcasts for Humble & Fred you'll find them talking about Blundell after Dean ripped them on air (before he was cancelled ha). December 4th show "Humble and Fred attacked"

http://www.humbleandfredradio.com/listen-to-humble-and-fred/2013/12/humble-and-fred-attacked.html

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The dynamic of Dean, Jason and Todd made the show enjoyable to me when I was in college.

Dean was terrible and Todd usually was too but Jason was always able to keep things going and not make it go full stupid.

Once he got fired I stopped listening.

yyzjohn

Banned
The dynamic of Dean, Jason and Todd made the show enjoyable to me when I was in college.

Dean was terrible and Todd usually was too but Jason was always able to keep things going and not make it go full stupid.

Similar for me. I thought the "golden age" of that show was the 3 of them: Dean, Jason and Todd cause they'd interact so well. Seemed as time went on success went to Dean's head and he became "the man" and treated people like shit.

Spl1nter

Agreed there was definitely a big drop in quality. Jason kept them in check very well.

Similar for me. I thought the "golden age" of that show was the 3 of them: Dean, Jason and Todd cause they'd interact so well. Seemed as time went on success went to Dean's head and he became "the man" and treated people like shit.

He became a huge hypocrite.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit. I had a an actual good experience at ebgames today and at the busy eaton centre location no less.

The location outside messed up my promo deal for second son and I just as I checked the receipt I was in in front of the other location inside so I asked her to check. The girl told me they did it wrong and to go there and get the games back so she could do the promo right.

Saved me 20 dollars and I figured what the hell, get the stupid game protection to help her numbers too.

She could easily have just said, 'nope, everything checks out' and just left it at that, but she told me exactly what to do and added what they did wrong.

Rare experience to get good knowledgeable staff there for sure, but when they do get it right it is a good place to go.

soultron

Banned
Holy shit. I had a an actual good experience at ebgames today and at the busy eaton centre location no less.

The location outside messed up my promo deal for second son and I just as I checked the receipt I was in in front of the other location inside so I asked her to check. The girl told me they did it wrong and to go there and get the games back so she could do the promo right.

Saved me 20 dollars and I figured what the hell, get the stupid game protection to help her numbers too.

She could easily have just said, 'nope, everything checks out' and just left it at that, but she told me exactly what to do and added what they did wrong.

Rare experience to get good knowledgeable staff there for sure, but when they do get it right it is a good place to go.
When one of the staff there told me I should get the GPG on my 3DS game to "protect it from scratches," and also to upgrade to the XL since the "old one is glitchy and crashes a lot," I vowed to never go there ever again.

Roto13

When one of the staff there told me I should get the GPG on my 3DS game to "protect it from scratches," and also to upgrade to the XL since the "old one is glitchy and crashes a lot," I vowed to never go there ever again.

The last time I went there, one of them tried to convince me that I should get game protection on Super Mario 3D World because Wii U games are extra prone to scratches. That guy is lucky I can't make people's heads explode with my mind.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the dude next to the girl was so thirsty for extras. Was selling this GPG hard. "Oh, the game before this was glitchy and had a lot of bugs, do you want to buy this protection blah blah blah'

The last time I went there, one of them tried to convince me that I should get game protection on Super Mario 3D World because Wii U games are extra prone to scratches. That guy is lucky I can't make people's heads explode with my mind.
Since when do you go out?! D:

Yeah, like I said, I was surprised to get good service this time. I'm always about getting in there and getting out as fast as possible; especially if they look like fuzzy...

I went to the Leafs game last Wednesday against Tampa. Had pretty awesome seats, but it was one of the most boring sports related experiences of my life. People talking not paying attention to the game, crowd not into it, Leafs played like crap, etc. I mean why do people pay for this crap? Ive been to countless Jays, Raptors, and Habs games and they were a lot more fun in comparison. I'm lucky I got the seats through work.

soultron

Banned
Tried Jabistro tonight with the GF. Great food, nice atmosphere, and good service. I felt I definitely got what I paid for, even though I paid a bit more than I usually do for sushi. Easily recommended.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Tried Jabistro tonight with the GF. Great food, nice atmosphere, and good service. I felt I definitely got what I paid for, even though I paid a bit more than I usually do for sushi. Easily recommended.
Hope you ordered the aburi.

Yeah it is a tad pricey though a lot less than sushi kaji...

soultron

Banned
Hope you ordered the aburi.

Yeah it is a tad pricey though a lot less than sushi kaji...
Got the aburicious sampler. 8 pieces of the best sushi I've ever personally tried for $20 wasn't so bad of a value proposition. The $5 lobster broth miso soup was also off the chain.

GF had the duck soba noodles. Wow. That broth was something else. I was so glad she couldn't finish it... Meant I got to try a decent amount of it!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Got the aburicious sampler. 8 pieces of the best sushi I've ever personally tried for $20 wasn't so bad of a value proposition. The $5 lobster broth miso soup was also off the chain.

GF had the duck soba noodles. Wow. That broth was something else. I was so glad she couldn't finish it... Meant I got to try a decent amount of it!
Yes! That aburi menu is freakin insane!

Now you make me want to go back and try that broth... :'(

TO GAF have any other recommendations?
No AYCE places

explodet

So how about that spring weather?

Today I might try and brave a trip to Touhenboku Ramen. Every time I go there it's packed to the rafters and I end up choosing between leaving or waiting out in the cold for half an hour. It's always been the latter, today I might go for the former.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yes! That aburi menu is freakin insane!

Now you make me want to go back and try that broth... :'(

TO GAF have any other recommendations?
No AYCE places

If you guys go back to Ja, I really recommend the gindara. It's freaking amazing, and yeah along with everything on the aburi menu.

soultron

Banned
So how about that spring weather?

Today I might try and brave a trip to Touhenboku Ramen. Every time I go there it's packed to the rafters and I end up choosing between leaving or waiting out in the cold for half an hour. It's always been the latter, today I might go for the former.

It's worth the wait! Also, the karage (fried chicken) is some of the best in the city, in my opinion.

@Divvy: I'm saving the gindara or the lobster platter for the next time I go. I want to sample the entire menu, eventually, but I feel I need a fat wad of cash or a special occasion. :p

Dyno

A girl at the ebgames in the Eaton Centre told me that some copies of GTAV don't work so I should pay for protection. I told her I was on Neogaf all day and didn't see anything of the kind. She shut the fuck up after that.

Roto13

A girl at the ebgames in the Eaton Centre told me that some copies of GTAV don't work so I should pay for protection. I told her I was on Neogaf all day and didn't see anything of the kind. She shut the fuck up after that.

Should have added that it you brought it home and it didn't work, they'd be taking it back with or without a protection plan. You don't have to pay extra for the right to not get ripped off with broken products.

Top Bottom