• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I really wonder why that is, massive coincidence?

There has to be some reason.

Personally I think it's more media related. Everything is aired and played for the eastern time zone so we get more focus as opposed to the west where by the time games are starting us losers over here are going to bed.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Personally I think it's more media related. Everything is aired and played for the eastern time zone so we get more focus as opposed to the west where by the time games are starting us losers over here are going to bed.

And all the Western teams that clown the Eastern teams in the NHL?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
????

We were just saying the West is better than the East in pretty much every North American sports league. we're wondering why this is.

It can't just be a coincidence.

:mad: shaddap, cat!

vmrHjlg.gif

Samyy

Yea thats one possibility, I just don't know any other major differentiating factors...

Blackhead

Redarse
Doesn't it go in cycles though? West is better for a while the east is better.
Yeah but don't recall the gap being this bad. Yet Indiana/Miami are still favorites for a ring so the commissioner can pretend all is well. However this is the first time ever that the three 'biggest' teams (Lakers, Celtics and Knicks) all aren't making the playoffs so that might set off the alarms. I guess it turned out for the best that the plan to tank for Wiggins isn't working out cause I have a sneaking suspicion those three will get the best draft picks

A Raptors fan somewhere made a deal with the devil; the Raptors, worst Toronto team on paper, making the playoffs while Leafs, Jays and even TFC taking a trashing at the weekend is no coincidence.

Athletes like warm weather
The West has California and Texas

NBA

San Antonio - They've seemingly had the same team for a decade
OKC - Seattle sucked bad and got Durant and then moved
LA Clippers - Were terrible until they got Griffin and NBA gifted Chris Paul
Houston - Warm weather and were bad for a few years
Portland - No idea
Golden State - Also terrible for a long time and warm weather
Phoenix - Very hot
Dallas - Hot and have been good for a while
Memphis - Tennessee isn't too bad
Minny - Cyclical, won't be able to afford to keep best players after drafting them
New Orleans - I dunno
Denver - Had an amazing GM :p
LA Lakers - Obvious
Sac
Utah

NHL

St Louis - Took a long time to build
Anaheim - Warm weather
San Jose - California
Colorado - Cyclical
Chicago - Were horrible before drafting Kane/Toews
LA - Warm
Minny - Drafted well and then spent a ton of money
Phoenix - Warm and anonymous
Dallas - Warm
Vancouver - Warm-ish
Nashville - Have to draft well
Winnipeg - Will depend on drafting
Calgary - Will depend on drafting
Edmonton - No one wants to play there

There's still 141 or something games to go.
I don't think they'll do much this year

Jose Bautista promised to follow me and thousands others on twitter if we re-tweeted some bullshit MLB campaign he was promoting. Still hasn't. Fuck that dude! ಠ_ಠ

We should trade him while his stock is high.

Spl1nter

K so the Jays hope lasted all of one game. Lol fuck the Jays!!!

Jays are trying to contend with the leafs

@HayesTSN
Reyes to the DL after the 1st AB of the season. The. 1st. AB.

@Sid_Seixeiro 7m
Breaking News: Blue Jays have just been eliminated from playoff contention.

Reyes played the past two exhibition games injured.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Athletes like warm weather
The West has California and Texas

NBA

San Antonio - They've seemingly had the same team for a decade
OKC - Seattle sucked bad and got Durant and then moved
LA Clippers - Were terrible until they got Griffin and NBA gifted Chris Paul
Houston - Warm weather and were bad for a few years
Portland - No idea
Golden State - Also terrible for a long time and warm weather
Phoenix - Very hot
Dallas - Hot and have been good for a while
Memphis - Tennessee isn't too bad
Minny - Cyclical, won't be able to afford to keep best players after drafting them
New Orleans - I dunno
Denver - Had an amazing GM :p
LA Lakers - Obvious
Sac
Utah

NHL

St Louis - Took a long time to build
Anaheim - Warm weather
San Jose - California
Colorado - Cyclical
Chicago - Were horrible before drafting Kane/Toews
LA - Warm
Minny - Drafted well and then spent a ton of money
Phoenix - Warm and anonymous
Dallas - Warm
Vancouver - Warm-ish
Nashville - Have to draft well
Winnipeg - Will depend on drafting
Calgary - Will depend on drafting
Edmonton - No one wants to play there

Have a relook at your list there and notice that 90% of those teams all drafted their stars.

Fuck now I'm really curious about this.

Samyy

Have a relook at your list there and notice that 90% of those teams all drafted their stars.

Fuck now I'm really curious about this.

And then the east:

Tampa - draft well and now being rewarded, Stamkos, Hedman drafted as pieces of their core.
Montreal - Subban & Price, both drafted + B.Gally, A. Gally, Patches
New York - Blow a ton of FAs but did draft Lundqvist
Philly - Giroux drafted, Couturier
Pitt - well obvious
Boston - Chara they lucked out on, but Bergeron, Krecji, Lucic, Marchand etc. all drafted, and our great drafting in Rask helping them out :p. Interesting thing about Boston is that their forward core was entirely built on 2nd & 3rd round picks, which is amazing drafting.
Columbus - Drafted Nash, but I guess their present day future core is Bob, Johansen, Murray, 2 of 3 drafted so not bad.
Detroit - Best drafting team in the league?

From what it looks like, to be honest, drafting might play a role - most East teams don't have great drafting histories, Pittsburgh was really handed obvious choices in Crosby and Malkin, Boston is really the example of building through the draft in the east. This is obviously a recent comparison, when my exams are done I'll try looking deeper into their histories, and look at other variables like who was good/bad when etc.

Just for fun:
Leafs draft picks the last 15 years that are playing:

Steen: would be the #1 centre on the team, but no guarantee he develops as he did in St. Louis so its kind of a wash.
Coliacovo: Not a big deal
Brad Boyes: Meh
Matt Stajan: great guy, one of our few 2nd round picks to ever become anything ever, but not a core player.
John Mitchell: I can't believe we gave up the 2nd coming of Malkin!
Rask: -cries-
Stralman: Meh, 3rd pairing D?
Reimer: Yay, arguably core, not really core anymore.
Kulemin: Yay but not a core player.
Stalberg: 3rd liner
Komarov: CORECORECORE! (not really but still)
Frattin: so-so
Gunnarsson: pretty good, but not core.
Schenn: turned him into a core player in JvR.
Kadri: a part of the core.
Rielly: Most promising future piece of the core.

So really, we drafted 2-3 parts of our current core in the last 15 years, thats fucking shitty as hell guys.
The sad thing is not once have we ever really drafted a potential #1 centre, really ever - outside of Steen/Kadri, no promising centres at all, besides Gauthier. Oh and of course San Jose uses our pick from the Toskala trade to move up and draft Couture...

No cap - players go where they can get the most money
Cap - players look for other perks since money is going to be the same for the top end players

Samyy

No cap - players go where they can get the most money
Cap - players look for other perks since money is going to be the same for the top end players

What big FAs were signed by the Cali teams?
Or Florida teams?
Or southern teams in general?

Those teams probably benefit from being in prime locations, Florida for the low taxes?
Uhm, I guess New York is the obvious one, which makes sense, but NY has never been a dangerous contender because of this.
Chicago doesn't sign big FAs, Pitt has had 2 or 3, but none that really benefited their cup, LA didn't have any big FAs?

The biggest FAs have gone to Minny recently, to be home.

What big FAs were signed by the Cali teams?
Or Florida teams?
Or southern teams in general?

Those teams probably benefit from being in prime locations, Florida for the low taxes?
Uhm, I guess New York is the obvious one, which makes sense, but NY has never been a dangerous contender because of this.
Chicago doesn't sign big FAs, Pitt has had 2 or 3, but none that really benefited their cup, LA didn't have any big FAs?

The biggest FAs have gone to Minny recently, to be home.

Players on the Cali teams don't hit free agency :p They take a bit less money to stay in beautiful California

I know it's not the best example but the hockey pundits always say that it's a thing

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
If I was a Hockey player I would never want to play in Toronto because of the media attention. Not being able to live your life if you have a bad game? Fuck that.

Quick

Banned
Darn. I loved going there in the winter before seeing a movie at Scotiabank theatre. I should have bought more things.

It's a huge retail space too. I wonder what will move in.

Same. Now I think that's a big loss on Indigo's part, since it's at such a prime location. It was awesome popping in before a movie to buy stuff or have a Starbucks.

Indigo pretty much has a monopoly on chain book stores, but I wonder how much they're scaling back.

Oppo

Same. Now I think that's a big loss on Indigo's part, since it's at such a prime location. It was awesome popping in before a movie to buy stuff or have a Starbucks.

Indigo pretty much has a monopoly on chain book stores, but I wonder how much they're scaling back.

Chapters and Indigo are the same thing now. They just juggle the brands.

It is very weird how bookstores were SO HUGE for like a 10 year period, then... nothing.

zroid

Banned

Haha yeah I did this all the time during my undergrad

Ehhh ordering from Indigo works well, I have no complaints

Yeah, still prefer Indigo.ca to Amazon when prices are equal (which is usually). First of all they had those $5 coupons (RIP) which made it a no-brainer, but you can do free ship-to-store and returns in-store. Online merchants without a b&m presence are annoying if you need to return something.

+1 for hanging out at that Chapters before heading into the Scotiabank theatre

It's a ritual! I've made so many impulse purchases there. Most recently, I discovered a copy of The Quantum Thief someone discarded in the History section (sitting amidst Nazi Germany and WWII stuff). Had never heard of it before, grabbed it out of curiosity, flipped it over and fell in love with the synopsis... just finished reading it yesterday. Good stuff.

I'll miss that location for sure.

Samyy

eBooks > Books. The bookstore demise is inevitable.

ebooks suck when they're priced the same, and in some cases more (COUGH AMAZON), I'll stick to my physical copies thanks.

If they would give me an ebook copy for an extra 5 bucks when I bought a physical book I'd be so down though...

Hutchison might be the real deal.

Captain stupid almost cost the leafs another game with another of his stupid penalties, crosschecking for no reason right before the end. Such a dumb fuck.

Samyy

Hutchison might be the real deal.

Captain stupid almost cost the leafs another game with another of his stupid penalties, crosschecking for no reason right before the end. Such a dumb fuck.

That was a soft penalty, dude went down as soon as he felt contact
People like you are dumb fucks for not realizing how good hes been this year, but of course, this is a season where hes played the most minutes hes ever played, against the toughest competition hes ever played against, with the Leafs D as it is. You all just need someone to pile on hmm? Hes our best defender and its not really close. You wanna rag on someone, rag on the management for not finding some defensive help to ease his minutes.

Leafs guaranteed to be at least a .500 team with that win! 82 points baby!!
It sucks because now everyone will be walking around for the next week thinking we actually still have a chance. Leafs always keep mathematical elimination until the last friggen moment. False hope every damn year. Just get eliminated and be done with it. I'm not falling for it. Was looking at colombus' schedule vs ours and the two games in hand and there is no way it happens.

zroid

Banned
Don't worry, I have faith the brooms will crush the Leafs' souls enough tomorrow that they will go on another skid for the remaining games.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
That was a soft penalty, dude went down as soon as he felt contact
People like you are dumb fucks for not realizing how good hes been this year, but of course, this is a season where hes played the most minutes hes ever played, against the toughest competition hes ever played against, with the Leafs D as it is. You all just need someone to pile on hmm? Hes our best defender and its not really close. You wanna rag on someone, rag on the management for not finding some defensive help to ease his minutes.
Whoa ol Samyy's claws coming out. He has been playing well and it is tough to keep that level up when you don't have much help. Leafs need another reliable D man to ease his burden.
Never going to Scotiabank Theatre ever again confirmed.
What happened?
Don't worry, I have faith the brooms will crush the Leafs' souls enough tomorrow that they will go on another skid for the remaining games.
TANK TANK TANK!

Top Bottom