• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

No books to read before/after seeing a movie? No sale.

Well... I wasn't going to buy a book anyway, actually.
I use the time before the movie starts to suck face with my girl. Not read fucking books. Come on soultron step yo game up.

I don't even know what books you are speaking of. Those free tribute magazines?

Edit: Oh you mean the Chapters closing. Yeah I don't go to Scotiabank theatre almost never.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think the only thing I liked about the Chapters by the Scotiabank was that they had the giant shelves that had those ladders. But expensive downtown real estate and book store doesn't really mix.

(I also learned that Book City is closing up its Annex store too. Yikes.)

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I think the only thing I liked about the Chapters by the Scotiabank was that they had the giant shelves that had those ladders. But expensive downtown real estate and book store doesn't really mix.

(I also learned that Book City is closing up its Annex store too. Yikes.)
Coffee shops everywhere! Make it a gigantic Starbucks to cater to the movie crowd? Keep some books there for people too?

Nothing else seems to thrive in this damn city.

jl4855

anyone going to home opener on friday? our local watering hole closed down what's the word? realsports will only let you stay til 5...

Quick

Banned
anyone going to home opener on friday? our local watering hole closed down what's the word? realsports will only let you stay til 5...

Seems like a bad idea for Real Sports Bar to kick people out after 5 if they're there to watch the game.

Do they have a private event after? Or are they limiting reservations to 2 hours because it's going to be busy with the Jays opener + Raptors/Pacers game?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Coffee shops everywhere! Make it a gigantic Starbucks to cater to the movie crowd? Keep some books there for people too?

Nothing else seems to thrive in this damn city.
Chain bookstores are pointless though, especially when Chapters itself sells books for a massive discount on their own website but insist on charging retail in their stories.

They only work if they have small, specific followings. This is why BakkaPheonix, Glad Day, Women's Bookstore, and so on, are still able to be in business even after the chains rolled in and tried to replicate the now dying American retail model.

If you don't have an actual reason to support a bookstore, there's no reason why you wouldn't either buy the buy on Amazon/Chapters.ca for 40% off, or even better, buy the much cheaper ebook version from your ebook device directly.

Anyone know if you can go into the negative balance on a presto card more than once? I went negative about a year ago and I just realized I forgot to top up and am 5 damn cents short on my balance for getting home. Should it let me on without issue and I'd just pay the difference of this fare plus the 25 cent negative balance fee when I reload next?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
So, are we having a spring meetup?
Make the meet up thread

seal-soon-meme.jpg

Sober

We should isny organize a meetup for wvrst so he can use his magic powers to shut them down for never letting us in.

diaspora

Can anyone please help me understand the rationale behind Wong-Tam and Vaughn's opposition to food trucks? I'm seriously not getting this...

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Can anyone please help me understand the rationale behind Wong-Tam and Vaughn's opposition to food trucks? I'm seriously not getting this...

Food trucks have considerably less maintenance costs, don't have to pay property tax or rent, and they can just park themselves in front of your restaurant and steal your business.

Not that I'm against food trucks or anything, I quite enjoy them, but there are issues.

diaspora

Food trucks have considerably less maintenance costs, don't have to pay property tax or rent, and they can just park themselves in front of your restaurant and steal your business.

Not that I'm against food trucks or anything, I quite enjoy them, but there are issues.

I don't accept any of those to be issues tbh, part of business in the first place entails trying to get consumers; whether it entails drawing them away from the competition or otherwise is irrelevant.

edit- Restaurants and food trucks incidentally serve different markets.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
:(
Man I was dreaming about this city with both Raps and Leafs in the playoffs, how quickly dreams are crushed and shattered.

I dream of a day when both Raps and Leafs are making deep runs in the playoffs while the Jays have started off strong.

And I guess TFC can also be doing well...

I don't know why everyone got so excited after this win. People are delusional. The situation is actually WORSE after this game since Colombus won as well and it is status quo but with one less game.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I don't accept any of those to be issues tbh, part of business in the first place entails trying to get consumers; whether it entails drawing them away from the competition or otherwise is irrelevant.

edit- Restaurants and food trucks incidentally serve different markets.
I can understand some councilors having reservations but they already make it so those trucks (and each employee) have to have a city license to run/work in a food truck. The only thing I think they should restrict is where they can legally park while selling the food. Sidewalks become impassable with some of these trucks selling food. There should be food truck zones where they're allowed to set up and if they set up outside those zones then they get fines/suspension of their license.

zroid

Banned
Raptors <333333

I feel like a bandwagoner 'cause I never bothered to follow basketball till a couple months ago, but it's hard not to root for this team.

They're hard working underdogs unlike the Leafs, who are a bunch of lazy bastards

Samyy

Raptors <333333

I feel like a bandwagoner 'cause I never bothered to follow basketball till a couple months ago, but it's hard not to root for this team.

They're hard working underdogs unlike the Leafs, who are a bunch of lazy bastards

Lol same, ohwell, not really bandwagoning if you live in the city and don't actively cheer for other teams

Windam

Scaley member
I hate it when it rains, and the few days after a rainfall. Everything is so ugly. Puddles everywhere, mud, worms on the sidewalk (I'm actually seeing fewer and fewer of these), and the smell of rain itself. Ugh.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Raptors <333333

Lol same, ohwell, not really bandwagoning if you live in the city and don't actively cheer for other teams

Just stay with the team and learn shit as you slowly build your love.

God knows we need more Raptors fans in the city so welcome.

zroid

Banned
Ahaha the Raps schedule the rest of the way is incredibly soft.

Barring a big upset or two, they should be able to break their franchise win record this year.

I hate it when it rains, and the few days after a rainfall. Everything is so ugly. Puddles everywhere, mud, worms on the sidewalk (I'm actually seeing fewer and fewer of these), and the smell of rain itself. Ugh.
I do too but we need some rain to clean the streets though. They're dirty and sandy from the winter. Not to mention melt up the last bits of ugly snow on peoples lawns.

Top Bottom