• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

krae_man

My local Rexall was selling the 200g Mini Eggs for $2.46 :(

I might have been better off though, as I only bought one bag for $2.46 (it's still about 50% off) as opposed to like 10 bags for $9.40. :lol

I'm going to go back and get 10 more after work today if they have any

I've only eaten 1 so far

Dyno

2014 : The Year of Polar Beer

http://canadanightlife.ca/2014/04/frozen-beer-toronto-favorite-drink-summer/

Frozen beer, otherwise known as “polar beer”, has arrived in Toronto just in time for what will hopefully be a blazing hot summer. Frozen Beer, a Japanese trend, has a sub zero foam that traps the cold and keeps your beer chilly for up to 20 minutes.

They selling it at Don Don Izakaya and some other places. Must try this beer gimmik!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
That was UbiMontreal, and the point of that blast would be centered on UbiToronto office.

Oh, and this:
https://twitter.com/BenSpurr/status/459448085228163072/photo/1

Fuck this hypocrite.
I wish certain level designers would have a bit of fun with their Montreal counterparts... :(
2014 : The Year of Polar Beer

http://canadanightlife.ca/2014/04/frozen-beer-toronto-favorite-drink-summer/

They selling it at Don Don Izakaya and some other places. Must try this beer gimmik!
I've had this in Seoul. I'll have to try and find the pic from my folder to show you guys. It is very gimmicky and it's not like they make it taste super good. But it does keep it cooler and it looks cool.

Edit: also forgot cause I'm older. Turning 33 today...still got carded everywhere in Vegas. Also starting to feel it; I got killed all the time in dark souls 2. Reflexes and reaction time isn't what it used to be.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The report also states: “no breathalyzer was performed” – a point the lawyer intends to delve deeper into, he says.

Her husband, Jules Simon, a York Regional Police officer, was driving behind his wife that night, but little is mentioned about him as a witness in the police report. He pulled over when Brandon was struck, and shortly after both were allowed to go home. It was another witness who pulled over to tend to Brandon and called 911.
Pieces of shit, the both of them.

He posts here under the name criesofthepast.

87773-you-son-of-a-bitch-gif-Inigo-M-jOCz.gif

Fuzzy you were the dood that got flown to Japan for that MGS4 MGO event, right? Or do I have you confused with someone else? I can't believe a fellow metal gear bro such as yourself could be such a team winter dickhead!

No way a judge will reward that bitch a single red (discontinued) cent. I will bet my life on it. No settlement. Nothing. And she will have to pay court costs.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy you were the dood that got flown to Japan for that MGS4 MGO event, right? Or do I have you confused with someone else? I can't believe a fellow metal gear bro such as yourself could be such a team winter dickhead!
You're confusing me with someone else. I barely care about MGS.

You're confusing me with someone else. I barely care about MGS.
Damn. For some reason I confused you with -COOLIO-

You still suck though. Even more now that you don't care about MGS.

Watching the raptors game on TV here! ESPN 1-2-3, HBO - these channels are part of basic cable here which blew my mind. The Movie Network alone with HBO is like $30 a month isn't it? I haven't watched HBO since we canceled cable back home like 2 years ago. Is nice to watch Game of Thrones live again.

jokkir

I went to Gyugyuya for Japanese curry today... but I didn't get the curry

I did have the Chicken Katsu Don (I think that's what it was called) and was pretty good. I tasted my friends curry that she ordered and I really don't think I would have finished everything. It was a really heavy meal but it tasted pretty nice. It was my first time eating Japanese curry so I can't really compare to any other ones but for other curry I've tasted, I liked the taste.

Here's what I ordered though

I probably should go back get my own plate of curry lol.

I need restaurant recommendations that are kind of like the Panorama at Manulife or the Toula at Westin harbour castle

Yknow kinda fancy shmancy

Fuzzy

Pfft, Asians getting carded. I got carded at the Beer Store today on my way to my brother's house. I'm 35.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Guess I can get the first one out of the way...

Gordon Ramsay Steak

3655 Las Vegas Blvd South
Las Vegas, NV 89109
United States

What can I say? I'm a sucker for Gordon Ramsay and the chance to try one of his restaurants after seeing his shows was too much to pass up. Luckily, Gordon Ramsay Steak was in my hotel, so it wasn't much hassle to just walk right in there and get seats. It was crowded, but if you don't mind sitting at the bar, you shouldn't have an issue getting seats. Unfortunately, (or fortunately?) Ramsay wasn't there, so I didn't get a chance to see him and get a picture with him.

Decor
I didn't take a lot of pictures, and the picture on the website that I stole isn't very indicative of how it looks. We went at night and they darkened the entire room; using very little lighting to provide a more intimate atmosphere. We sat at the bar, and right on the first two seats on the right edge of the circular bar area. Though it wasn't a booth, the circular structures on the side did provide a bit of a booth experience and did give you some privacy despite being right in front of the bartenders. While I liked it, I don't think the bartenders appreciated the set up since they had to constantly duck under the door or go out of their way to open it when they had to go through.

Service
Service was a good mix of friendliness and promptness without being overbearing, which surprised me since the place was extremely busy. The kitchen was right out in the open and you could see everything they were doing; I didn't actually go watch, and I didn't hear any screams of "you donkey!", so they were all very professional there. I must say, this is the ONLY place I've ever been to where they take the cleanliness of the glasses so seriously. It was nice to see the bartenders ALWAYS check the glasses against the light to see if there were any smudges or residue left over before using the glass. While my food came out fine, I noticed the gentleman across from me didn't like his steak. He complained it wasn't made to his liking (he said it was too overcooked), the waiters took it away and said it looked fine, but they didn't hassle him at all and just got him another meal.

Drinks
My wife got a mojito and I got a Vesper (the James Bond drink) and also an Innis and Gunn draught. The mojito was really good, but the Vesper was a bit too bitter and strong for my taste; maybe that's the way Bond likes his women? On the other hand, I was extremely pleased with the Innis and Gunn and it left a very pleasant caramel aftertaste after each sip. It's definitely one of my go-to drinks and to have it on tap there was special.

Appetizer
Not much to say here, we didn't go nuts on the apps since we were looking forward to the mains. We got the gnocchi and came away disappointed; there wasn't much there and it was kinda chewy without a lot of taste. With all the hype they built up on the shows for the gnocchi, you'd think it'd be ambrosia, but I didn't like it.

Mains and Sides
FINALLY! After watching all those Hell's Kitchen episodes where they royally messed up the Beef Wellington, I finally got to try it myself (I haven't come across restaurants here in Toronto that have it). I didn't go in with any expectations, however, and I came away disappointed; it was a cut of meat inside a pastry that fell apart as soon as I cut into it. The side you see there is a nice cut of foie gras and it was quite tasty. Just fair warning that it is quite intense with the saltiness, so take it easy if you do ever order foie gras; I made the mistake of eating a whole piece thinking it was a pepper when I was in Montreal, and it's still working itself through my veins...

On the other hand, my wife got the Prime Beef Steak (I believe it was the Bone-in Rib Eye) and it was exquisite. I have steak quite often at home and this cut and cook was expertly done; likely the best I've had outside in a long time. She had asked for it medium rare, and it was nice and juicy with just the right amount of tenderness and flavour. Her steak was definitely much better than my Beef Wellington.

We kind of went overboard with the sides though, and I wish we had cut one or two out, but on top of the Welly and the steak, we also had Mac & Cheese, Sautéed Mushrooms, and Asparagus. These were incredible and the highlight of the meal for me. The Mac & Cheese had a nice smokey flavour to the cheese and it really enhanced the overall taste. The mushrooms were tiny pieces of a pretty intense flavour, so I imagined whatever they coated it with really kicked the taste up. The asparagus was grilled to perfection and had a nice crunch and texture to it with just the right amount of seasoning.

Overall
We paid about 280 USD for one appetizer, 3 drinks, 4 sides, and 2 mains. I regret getting the gnocchi, the Vesper, and should've cut it down to 2 sides so that we could've saved some money. For that much, I think there are better places to try in Vegas if you're ever headed there.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Last I checked at the LCBO, the sign telling people they might get carded features a super Generic Asian.

My Generic Asian Friend, whom I went to high school with in the same class, was working at the LCBO when I was in there. Still carded me (did it jokingly...I think...) :'(

Guess I can get the first one out of the way...

Gordon Ramsay Steak

3655 Las Vegas Blvd South
Las Vegas, NV 89109
United States

What can I say? I'm a sucker for Gordon Ramsay and the chance to try one of his restaurants after seeing his shows was too much to pass up. Luckily, Gordon Ramsay Steak was in my hotel, so it wasn't much hassle to just walk right in there and get seats. It was crowded, but if you don't mind sitting at the bar, you shouldn't have an issue getting seats. Unfortunately, (or fortunately?) Ramsay wasn't there, so I didn't get a chance to see him and get a picture with him.

Decor
I didn't take a lot of pictures, and the picture on the website that I stole isn't very indicative of how it looks. We went at night and they darkened the entire room; using very little lighting to provide a more intimate atmosphere. We sat at the bar, and right on the first two seats on the right edge of the circular bar area. Though it wasn't a booth, the circular structures on the side did provide a bit of a booth experience and did give you some privacy despite being right in front of the bartenders. While I liked it, I don't think the bartenders appreciated the set up since they had to constantly duck under the door or go out of their way to open it when they had to go through.

Service
Service was a good mix of friendliness and promptness without being overbearing, which surprised me since the place was extremely busy. The kitchen was right out in the open and you could see everything they were doing; I didn't actually go watch, and I didn't hear any screams of "you donkey!", so they were all very professional there. I must say, this is the ONLY place I've ever been to where they take the cleanliness of the glasses so seriously. It was nice to see the bartenders ALWAYS check the glasses against the light to see if there were any smudges or residue left over before using the glass. While my food came out fine, I noticed the gentleman across from me didn't like his steak. He complained it wasn't made to his liking (he said it was too overcooked), the waiters took it away and said it looked fine, but they didn't hassle him at all and just got him another meal.

Drinks
My wife got a mojito and I got a Vesper (the James Bond drink) and also an Innis and Gunn draught. The mojito was really good, but the Vesper was a bit too bitter and strong for my taste; maybe that's the way Bond likes his women? On the other hand, I was extremely pleased with the Innis and Gunn and it left a very pleasant caramel aftertaste after each sip. It's definitely one of my go-to drinks and to have it on tap there was special.

Appetizer
Not much to say here, we didn't go nuts on the apps since we were looking forward to the mains. We got the gnocchi and came away disappointed; there wasn't much there and it was kinda chewy without a lot of taste. With all the hype they built up on the shows for the gnocchi, you'd think it'd be ambrosia, but I didn't like it.

Mains and Sides

FINALLY! After watching all those Hell's Kitchen episodes where they royally messed up the Beef Wellington, I finally got to try it myself (I haven't come across restaurants here in Toronto that have it). I didn't go in with any expectations, however, and I came away disappointed; it was a cut of meat inside a pastry that fell apart as soon as I cut into it. The side you see there is a nice cut of foie gras and it was quite tasty. Just fair warning that it is quite intense with the saltiness, so take it easy if you do ever order foie gras; I made the mistake of eating a whole piece thinking it was a pepper when I was in Montreal, and it's still working itself through my veins...

On the other hand, my wife got the Prime Beef Steak (I believe it was the Bone-in Rib Eye) and it was exquisite. I have steak quite often at home and this cut and cook was expertly done; likely the best I've had outside in a long time. She had asked for it medium rare, and it was nice and juicy with just the right amount of tenderness and flavour. Her steak was definitely much better than my Beef Wellington.

We kind of went overboard with the sides though, and I wish we had cut one or two out, but on top of the Welly and the steak, we also had Mac & Cheese, Sautéed Mushrooms, and Asparagus. These were incredible and the highlight of the meal for me. The Mac & Cheese had a nice smokey flavour to the cheese and it really enhanced the overall taste. The mushrooms were tiny pieces of a pretty intense flavour, so I imagined whatever they coated it with really kicked the taste up. The asparagus was grilled to perfection and had a nice crunch and texture to it with just the right amount of seasoning.

Overall
We paid about 280 USD for one appetizer, 3 drinks, 4 sides, and 2 mains. I regret getting the gnocchi, the Vesper, and should've cut it down to 2 sides so that we could've saved some money. For that much, I think there are better places to try in Vegas if you're ever headed there.
280 USD? Are you fucking nuts? I know you have that Asian cash but my god. Only restauraunt I'd pay $280 to eat at is if it was Nigella Lawson's and she gave me a lap dance afterwards.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
$280 for dinner? Did that include the tip?
Yes. Tip included.
The tip of Ramsey's shaft in your ass yes.
That was probably what was missing from the Beef Wellington.
I don't see why people are shocked at a $280 dinner at a fancy joint. People spend $100 at shifty bars on bar food and a few drinks.
I'll use that money next time to fly somewhere warm like a volcano.

$280 USD

At today's rate about $310 Canadian. I could feed an entire Chilean village for a year with that. ಠ_ಠ

I took my girl to the CN Tower to eat and it came out to about 2 bills. Food wasn't worth it but the your paying for the view more than anything. I think that's the most expensive place I've eaten at.

Magnus

The HMV store at queen and John that's closing at the end of May has been having clearance sales for the past two months. The percentage "off" is finally at a respectable level.

Man of Steel bluray bundled with a gray Supes toque for $10.

Quick

Banned
The HMV store at queen and John that's closing at the end of May has been having clearance sales for the past two months. The percentage "off" is finally at a respectable level.

Man of Steel bluray bundled with a gray Supes toque for $10.

Completely blanked on where exactly that HMV is.

HMV doesn't really have great deals, so I have little incentive to go inside. I might pop in and check out whatever's left at that location sometime soon.

Azuran

Banned
What's the best poutine in the city guys? I promise my international student friend that I would take her for some tomorrow, but now I kinda realized I have no idea where to go. This is really important if she plans on living in Canada, so her first experience has to be a good one.

Quick

Banned
What's the best poutine in the city guys? I promise my international student friend that I would take her for some tomorrow, but now I kinda realized I have no idea where to go. This is really important if she plans on living in Canada, so her first experience has to be a good one.

McDonald's.

ZZMitch

Smokes!

Top Bottom