• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

explodet

Considering we're the biggest city in Canada, I'm really surprised we haven't had a good savvy leader who can put us on the map for the right reasons.
Any politician with half a brain probably stays the hell away from this thankless job.

Anyone looking to become mayor to make the city a better place has to face the fact that what the suburbs want and what downtown wants are two completely different things. Not to mention trying to satisfy all of the former towns that are now part the amalgamated GTA at the same time. I won't even get into the provincial and federal governments.

And if they want to become mayor for the prestige, sooner or later they're going to open their mouth and find something flying out that they didn't want anybody to hear. If a politician bases themselves on popularity and finds it going down, they're going to enact policies to improve popularity and that's not necessarily good for the city.

Oppo

Good reasons to vote for Chow.

She knows how things work on the Hill and basically has already had the spotlight. I mean she took a hit leaving Ottawa to run here.

She's a bit of an odd duck but still seems like a gleaming, stentorian leader next to Ford, who reveals himself to be vile on every level these days. That racist shit he was spouting is just so disappointing and irritating to read about. He really has zero redemming qualities, it seems.

MEETUP - if its in the next two weeks! otherwise I'm gone till mid-June

explodet

Oh, and uh.... Go Raps.

raptor.gif

Azih

I hate minority governments.

This minority governemnt was actually going really great until McGunity's never ending scandals poisoned Wynne.

Seriously the shit McGuinty got up to in the last campaign and afterwards was jaw dropping.

jokkir

Why is it that every time Hudak speaks, he's practically begging to be elected. "Please vote for me, I'll make everything with rainbows and everything will be happy and stuff. pls respond"

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
It's great when I hate every single party leader at the provincial level. Real incentive to vote.

I also think a month is too short for me to really decide on who I want to vote for. At this point I don't like anyone either, but if I have to make a decision... I'd like more than a month.

Azih

I like Horwath well enough. Too bad NDP has no chance where I live. Yay.

Edit: Hell I like Wynne too but those damn gas plants are such a massive massive shit show. It was almost all McGunity's fault but it's not like she wasn't a high ranking Liberal when it all went down.

Willectro

Banned
Thanks for the warm welcome back.

I'm also up for another meet-up.

Would it be taboo to ask what went down with Willectro and Dino?

Dyno called me a clown, as I was likely acting as such. I replied with an expletive. I haven't heard from him, but hopefully the hatchet is buried.

Good reasons to vote for Chow.

She knows how things work on the Hill and basically has already had the spotlight. I mean she took a hit leaving Ottawa to run here.

She's a bit of an odd duck but still seems like a gleaming, stentorian leader next to Ford, who reveals himself to be vile on every level these days. That racist shit he was spouting is just so disappointing and irritating to read about. He really has zero redemming qualities, it seems.

MEETUP - if its in the next two weeks! otherwise I'm gone till mid-June

Not defending Ford, at all, but I think Chow is racist and sexist herself. Just not in a overt, extreme way like Ford. Her remarks about what makes her different than Miller and her apparent call to Toronto voters living in Hong Kong really makes me think she isn't fit for the job in a multicultural city. This doesn't even touch on her run in with the Iron Sheik. I'm disappointed to think that people would vote on the basis of 'let's elect a different demographic' as opposed to electing the best candidate. Again, Ford is far worse, but I don't think we should be electing the lesser of a handful of evils. I really don't care about her experience in higher levels of government, municipal is a different ball game and I don't want our city run like that. I don't care about Layton's legacy, at all, and I hope that isn't even partially why people support her, but I often suspect it is. Which is not to say her accomplishments don't stand for themselves.

I hate minority governments.

This * 1000. It's a waste of time for everyone involved.

Quadratic

Hey.

If anyone is interested. There will be a mini GAF meetup of sorts tomorrow at the Pump. Which is on Bloor St. near Brunswick @5pm I initally made it as a local co-op Monster Hunter gathering with Kuro and Evil Mario. But anyone is welcome to come by and laugh at 3 grown men playing 3ds' at a bar like Added Time did a while ago. Not just limited to 3ds. I can bring my Vita and play some Killzone, Streetfighter VS Tekken, Marvel VS Capcom 3 or something else.

We generally keep it casual with beer and nachos.

diaspora

Hey.

If anyone is interested. There will be a mini GAF meetup of sorts tomorrow at the Pump. Which is on Bloor St. near Brunswick @5pm I initally made it as a local co-op Monster Hunter gathering with Kuro and Evil Mario. But anyone is welcome to come by and laugh at 3 grown men playing 3ds' at a bar like Added Time did a while ago. Not just limited to 3ds. I can bring my Vita and play some Killzone, Streetfighter VS Tekken, Marvel VS Capcom 3 or something else.

Damnit. This afternoon would have been perfect but it's too close to the Greenwald-Hayden Munk Debate =\

Blackhead

Redarse
Thanks for the warm welcome back.

Not defending Ford, at all, but I think Chow is racist and sexist herself. Just not in a overt, extreme way like Ford. Her remarks about what makes her different than Miller and her apparent call to Toronto voters living in Hong Kong really makes me think she isn't fit for the job in a multicultural city. This doesn't even touch on her run in with the Iron Sheik...

Lol wut?!

Don't wear out that warm welcome before the week is over...

Willectro

Banned
Lol wut?!

Don't wear out that warm welcome before the week is over...

“I’m not male. Not white. Want to start there?”

No? Why would anyone want to start there?

Olivia Chow goes to international media to shame Rob Ford

I guess it's just a coincidence that she selected Hong Kong. I don't think this is racist necessarily, but very strange and unorthodox. I'm just not hearing of the other candidates calling for international support, as far as I know. edit: added not

Olivia Chow gets the Iron Sheik’s endorsement, then apologizes

But, as Ford has proven, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Oppo

Not defending Ford, at all, but I think Chow is racist and sexist herself. Just not in a overt, extreme way like Ford. Her remarks about what makes her different than Miller and her apparent call to Toronto voters living in Hong Kong really makes me think she isn't fit for the job in a multicultural city. This doesn't even touch on her run in with the Iron Sheik. I'm disappointed to think that people would vote on the basis of 'let's elect a different demographic' as opposed to electing the best candidate. Again, Ford is far worse, but I don't think we should be electing the lesser of a handful of evils. I really don't care about her experience in higher levels of government, municipal is a different ball game and I don't want our city run like that. I don't care about Layton's legacy, at all, and I hope that isn't even partially why people support her, but I often suspect it is. Which is not to say her accomplishments don't stand for themselves.

I would have to see examples of her being racist or sexist before I levied that claim. I've never seen her act like that. No idea what the Iron Shiek thing was.

I do think the experience on the Hill is valuable but moreover I am aligned with her because I liked a lot of what Layton did. It's easy shorthand for me. And she runs rings around the other opponents, substantively. Socknacki is smart but has zero presence or patience, and Stinz is just a gormless ladder-climber.

I actually think Tory means well but he's sort of had his chance. He'll act as a spoiler for Ford voters who think he's the 'reasonable one'.

quadratic said:
Hey.

Hey I think I can do that! I'll bring my Vita. We can PAX Debrief ;)

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
#Kuro4Mayor
Oh man if I was ever in charge, unions and big business would not be happy with me. TTC would not be happy. Burger joints would not be happy. Sushi joints would not be happy. Condo developers would DESPISE me. NIMBYers would curse me to the seven hells.

Too many shitty sushi and burger places round these parts.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I also think a month is too short for me to really decide on who I want to vote for. At this point I don't like anyone either, but if I have to make a decision... I'd like more than a month.

Well, it's not as if these people are unknown, they've been in the legislature for years. If you follow politics at all you should know all the players.

I hate American fixed election dates because campaigns last for two years. Even this mayoral campaign is was too long. They were debating in February or March.

Short elections mean that having millions of dollars in the war chest is negated somewhat. It's fantastically expensive to run a month-long campaign, but prohibitively expensive to run a year long one.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus these politicians...reporter asks Kathleen Wynne to comment on McGuinty scandals and she could've won a gold medal in dancing. Brings it back to jobs.

This province and city are in trouble.

Quadratic

Just a reminder there's going to be a mini-meetup mainly for handheld gaming at the Pump tonight in the Annex @5pm if anyone is interested. Monster Hunter on 3ds. I'll bring my Vita so that's included as well for some local co-op.

Quadratic

If anyone is dropping by the Pump this evening. We're at a booth in the back. Can't mistake the glow of 3ds' being played. Also the amount of Canadiens fans here is making me uneasy.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I dare one of you to yell Habs suck
I was speaking belligerently about them a tad loudly. They cleared out after that choke.

Then a guy behind us said that African Americans athletes should expect racism.

Dis city....

Anyways, a great big thanks to Quad and EM for another successful Mini TO meet up. Nerfgun just teased us from the sidelines and added time didn't come and call us nerds this time.

Quad and EM carried on those massive shoulders while I played the part of Kave_Man

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I was speaking belligerently about them a tad loudly. They cleared out after that choke.

Then a guy behind us said that African Americans athletes should expect racism.

Dis city....

Anyways, a great big thanks to Quad and EM for another successful Mini TO meet up. Nerfgun just teased us from the sidelines and added time didn't come and call us nerds this time.

Quad and EM carried on those massive shoulders while I played the part of Kave_Man

Wish I was there to see that.

What are the best Southern BBQ places in Toronto?

Stockyards?

I need more restaurants to go with my gf, we've realized we keep going to the same places downtown and it's getting boring going to the same places over and over lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
What are the best Southern BBQ places in Toronto?

Stockyards?

I need more restaurants to go with my gf, we've realized we keep going to the same places downtown and it's getting boring going to the same places over and over lol
Yes.

Where have you been and what are you amenable to?

Yes.

Where have you been and what are you amenable to?

It seems we always go to Duffs, Lone Star, Baton Rouge, The Works, Joe Badali's lol

If only Brassai wasn't so expensive :p

When it gets nicer out we're hoping to finally go to some of the more unique and trendy places that are recommended for takeout only

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It seems we always go to Duffs, Lone Star, Baton Rouge, The Works, Joe Badali's lol

If only Brassai wasn't so expensive :p

When it gets nicer out we're hoping to finally go to some of the more unique and trendy places that are recommended for takeout only
The Works?! You make a Generic Asian Guy cry... :'(

I'm sure I'm missing some since I forgot the names but...

Danforth Greek
Pantheon HIGHLY recommended. Try a bunch of stuff.
Messini HIGHLY recommended. Get the lamb.

Chinatown Chinese
Mother's Dumplings
Rol San HIGHLY recommended as it's fast, cheap, and awesome. It even gets my EXTREMELY picky mother's approval.
Gold Stone
Celebrity Hot Pot (my wife likes this more than me)

The Beaches Mixed
Hogtown Smoke
Whitlock's
Green Eggplant
Burger's Priest HIGHLY recommended. Shut UP, EM!

Bathurst and Bloor Koreatown Korean Japanese
Arisu bit overpriced compared to other Korean places though
Kinton Ramen
There's this fried chicken place Quad likes but I forgot the name

Downtown Yonge and Dundas Mixed
Sansotei Ramen
Guu Izakaya

Queen street and Spadina Mixed
Jabistro HIGHLY recommended. A tad pricey but not overly so, and it's mouth wateringly good.

Bessarion Station/Bayview Villiage Japanese
Taro's Fish. Kraftwerk is lucky to be near here.

Parliament and Carlton Cabbagetown Japanese
Zakkushi HIGHLY recommended for apparently the best yakitori in Toronto from someone who goes to Japan all the time.

Steeles Ave East and Victoria Park Jtown Japanese
Cafe Green Tea has some kick ass Japanese curry
Izakaya Ju damn good curry and yakitori

Queen and Jones Leslieville Mixed (my area)
Leslieville Cheese Market for grilled cheese sandwiches
Sushi Marche
Reliable Fish and Chips
Te Aro I love the mochas here
Rashers this and JaBistro know how to get the mouth watering.
An Sibin Pub (going there in a few hours. I love the cider there). Closer to Queen and Broadview
AFT Kitchen and Bar also closer to Queen and Broadview
Ascari Enoteca for pasta
Lady Marmalade for brunch. There is always a fucking line up here on weekends. ALWAYS.
Cafe Brioche for brunch. There is also ALWAYS a fucking line up here for on weekends.

Roncesvalles High Park little Poland
Cherry Bomb Cafe has the best croissants I've had in the city. I want to find better but I haven't tried anything better yet here.
Cafe Polonez has authentic Polish food and a lot of Pollacks go there apparently

The Distillery District
Balzac's for coffee
Pure Spirits. They can be a bit inconsistent and I would've sworn by their seared tuna before but they changed the recipe. I love the oysters and the seafood Mac and Cheese there. Apparently voted best seafood for 2013

Random areas
The Keg Mansion they tend to have a franchise-like feel and commercialized feel (meaning more advertising than being actually good) but I've been to several and I've yet to have a bad experience. Service is too notch.
Harbour 60 Steakhouse. Need to go back. Expensive but gud
Jacob's and Co for steak. Lol made my cousin pay for a 300 CAD Wagyu steak

If you're going for burgers (heh)
http://www.blogto.com/toronto/the_best_burger_in_toronto/
Funny how this list matches a lot of my own except I'd remove BQM and move Big Moes up.

soultron

Banned
Tried out XOLA (authentic Mexican) last night, down at the far east end of The Beaches' main strip.

Pretty good food but a bit on the pricier side. I had duck confit tacos (Tacos de Pato) and my GF had some chicken tacos (can't remember name). I say it's a bit on the pricier side since you don't get a lot of food considering the average price of a taco dish is $15-$18. What you do get is good, however. We also got a goat cheese guacamole to start, which was super tasty.

The service was fantastic. A Mexican family owns and operates the place, and they were great at recommendations, explaining what each item was, and so forth. Very friendly service.

I don't know of many Mexican places in TO, but this place will be hard to top, even though it was pricey.

Here's a BlogTO "article" on the place. Bonus reading in the comments.

Top Bottom