• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Lol
I thought I made it pretty obvious each time I mentioned it!

Too bad you're not around as much. Hope you got those creative juices back.
You did and that's why it was funny. I even made fun of you guys at the last meetup when I walked in and all of you were playing MH. Buncha nerds.

Dyno

This seems to be the theme of this provincial election.

Ontario Election 2014: A Plague On All Your Houses

There is so little difference between Wynn and Horwath when it comes to a platform. It boils down to a question: "Do you want to solve Ontario's money woes with more taxes to corporations?" If the answer is a strong yes then you should vote NDP. On all other issues they seem on the same side but they never openly admit it. It's become very stale.

Hudak is at least his own corner and seems unafraid to put his ideology ahead of his political popularity. I would like him more if I agreed with any part of his platform but I don't so that's that.

Wynn is just... ugh. She could be a decent candidate but the Liberal scandals have her dodging and evading and calculating everything. The Liberals are responsible for more than one billion dollar failures in leadership and yet with enough distance they can get voted in again. That is why this election is already so tainted; so weak is the competition that they might win and essentially get away with these massive fuck ups. What of accountability? What of justice? Sadly there is no room in politics for these virtues.

Dyno

They are opening a Denny's on Dundas St. just west of Bay St. Denny's yo. Denny's.

Are there any other Denny's in Toronto? I have never seen one. Denny's.

I just like fuckin typing it. Denny's. Denny's. Denny's. I've never eaten.

krae_man

I when to the one just outside Kingston about a month ago. It was a couple days before my Birthday so I didn't get my meal free:(

Food was good.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
They are opening a Denny's on Dundas St. just west of Bay St. Denny's yo. Denny's.

Are there any other Denny's in Toronto? I have never seen one. Denny's.

I just like fuckin typing it. Denny's. Denny's. Denny's. I've never eaten.

There's one in Mississauga.

explodet

So it's come to this, we're getting a Denny's in downtown? Wow.
I'm surprised they didn't just buy out Golden Griddle, they're pretty much the same.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised they didn't just buy out Golden Griddle, they're pretty much the same.

It's a change at least from all the ramen, yakitori, sushi places opening up. When I first came to this city, the Annex had one or two sushi places. Now? I think there's gotta be like 8 or more sushi/Japanese places.

Quick

Banned
Speaking of ramen, Toronto-GAF ramen meetup?

Let's make fun of Kuro's health by making poor health choices of our own by consuming ramen.

do they sell potato spiral things in toronto. like this:

tornadopotato.jpg

if not, does anyone want to help me open a foodcart.

explodet

do they sell potato spiral things in toronto. like this:

tornadopotato.jpg

if not, does anyone want to help me open a foodcart.
Those things are awesome, I try to get one everytime I go to the T&T Night Market.

And holy hell, the food cart / food truck / street food saga in Toronto is a sad and angry tale. I'm not sure that's a road you want to travel until they figure out their shit.

It's a change at least from all the ramen, yakitori, sushi places opening up. When I first came to this city, the Annex had one or two sushi places. Now? I think there's gotta be like 8 or more sushi/Japanese places.
Asian food and burgers, that's all Toronto seems to want.

I could use a good southern place, or maybe German.

Roto13

Denny's is way better than Golden Griddle. Golden Griddle is bland. Like paper.

Finally a restaurant that I've been to and you guys haven't.

It's so greasy it makes me sick.

explodet

We could bring in Cracker Barrel or Waffle House.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, where's our IHOP?
International house my ass.

Azuran

Banned
Denny's is way better than Golden Griddle. Golden Griddle is bland. Like paper.

Finally a restaurant that I've been to and you guys haven't.

It's so greasy it makes me sick.

Dude, don't diss Golden Griddle. That place is my guilty pleasure when I'm hungry on my way to class :(

Fuzzy

When I was living/working in BC for 4 months in 2008 we used to take extended lunches (1:20 instead of 30 minutes) every Saturday because we were the only ones working overtime. Most of those lunches were spent at a Denny's across the street from the Hockey arena we were building. Great times.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Those things are awesome, I try to get one everytime I go to the T&T Night Market.

And holy hell, the food cart / food truck / street food saga in Toronto is a sad and angry tale. I'm not sure that's a road you want to travel until they figure out their shit.

Asian food and burgers, that's all Toronto seems to want.

I could use a good southern place, or maybe German.
Eh? They have those at the night markets? Last time I was there, and I live close to a TnT, it was so fucking packed and rainy as hell. The smelly tofu also stunk up the joint. Still, I'll keep an eye out for these next time.

Food trucks and street food really need to be embraced by this city. Tons of good stuff to be had and I had a hell of a fun time in Asia with those.

Also, Asian food and burgers isn't a 'bad' thing. Except for ramen burgers...

As far as I am concerned though, I've pretty much picked the Asian food places clean here. Besides Guu Izakaya and kaiseki hashimoto, I'm not sure there is any big place left to try. Greek food, I've had a lot of since I live near the Danforth. Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Japanese, I've had a ton. I haven't liked any Thai places here though.

Since I gave a bunch of recommendations, anyone here care to suggest some non Asian places?

Fuzzy

Since I gave a bunch of recommendations, anyone here care to suggest some non Asian places?
Time for you to hit some Portuguese chicken places. My favourite is St Matthew's on Rogers just east of Keele on the south side. I also like Alex Rei dos Leitões (King of the pigs) on Ossington just south of Dundas on the east side. I've never eaten in either, I've always gotten it to go. Once you're done with either then head to the nearby Nova Era bakery and get yourself an espresso and a pastel de nata (custard tart). There's a reason so many of us 'chops are round. :)

Roto13

When we lived in Vancouver, there was a Denny's near our apartment that we went to regularly and there was this waitress that was friendly and eventually she said she'd like to hang out or whatever and gave us her email address and we were like "Oh, er, hmm" and just stopped going there forever.

When we lived in Vancouver, there was a Denny's near our apartment that we went to regularly and there was this waitress that was friendly and eventually she said she'd like to hang out or whatever and gave us her email address and we were like "Oh, er, hmm" and just stopped going there forever.

Omg. I don't know why this story is making me cackle

Golden Griddle went downhill :( I used to love the breakfast buffet or all you can eat pancakes in the wee hours of the morning after being out late

I've been to Cracker Barrel, I liked playing the peg hopping game with my parents and their greasy food, and rocking on the rocking chairs in the front

I've avoided Waffle House though, was on a road trip with 2 friends and they insisted on getting food there several times while driving through South Carolina and Georgia but I had heard too many bad things from family friends so I chose not to get anything

explodet

Eh? They have those at the night markets? Last time I was there, and I live close to a TnT, it was so fucking packed and rainy as hell. The smelly tofu also stunk up the joint. Still, I'll keep an eye out for these next time.
Yeah, the one I go to is the TnT on the waterfront. This year it's in late July.

Although I'll admit the stinky tofu IS a problem.

Quadratic

I can add a few recommendations for non asian restaurants. I'm an east ender so my knowledge of anything west of Dufferin is vague.

I've been going to 2 schnitzel restaurants for a while. One is located by my work near Moss Park called Schnitzel Queen. Unfortunately because of the location it closes early. I'm mentioning it because I'm sure there are other hidden neighbourhood gems scattered about if you look around online.

http://schnitzelqueen.blogspot.ca/

The other is a Hungarian place called Country Style. Massive schnitzel's the size of a plate. It's located in the Annex. http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/countrystylehungarian

Lastly, a new restaurant on Danforth/ Broadview called Das Gasthaus. It's a trendy spot unlike the ones I mentioned above. They have great beers and awesome German food. http://www.torontolife.com/daily-dish/openings/2013/07/10/das-gasthaus-toronto-restaurants/

The platters/boards are definitely a highlight. It's a lot closer for me to travel to than the Black Hoof for Charcuterie.

EDIT: I would be remiss not to mention the spot that has 2/2 rejected the GAF sausage party. WVRST. It's actually a decent spot if you're not bringing 20 nerds with you.

Quadratic

Speaking of ramen, Toronto-GAF ramen meetup?

Let's make fun of Kuro's health by making poor health choices of our own by consuming ramen.

The largest ramen restaurant that I know of is Ramen Raijin by Ryerson.

It can handle 20+ people at a slow time like a weekend afternoon. There's a section by the kitchen that has very large tables for big groups from what I recall. I have no idea how packed it can get in the evenings.

soultron

Banned
The largest ramen restaurant that I know of is Ramen Raijin by Ryerson.

It can handle 20+ people at a slow time like a weekend afternoon. There's a section by the kitchen that has very large tables for big groups from what I recall. I have no idea how packed it can get in the evenings.

Yeah, definitely the biggest place I've been to, in terms of capacity. The ramen is alright too, which is good. Not my absolute favourite, but they definitely have some types that are novel and unique to Raijin.

I feel like they're underrated and/or not super popular since I've never been and seen the place packed at night during typical dinner rush (5-7) times.

Quadratic

Real ramen talk.

I'm beginning to think we're at the point of saturation now. I'm with Kuro that back oh, 7-10 years ago the only place where you could get restaurant ramen was at Kenzo in North York.

Nowadays even the splurge sushi joints on the Danforth have it on the menu. There's that huge cluster of 7 restaurants between OCAD to Ryerson. I'm thinking 2-3 of those won't last till the end of the year. Sorry Ryu's noodle bar...

Top Bottom